Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Aznavour's avatar

Piment Brûlant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Yep -- bell pepper. I enjoy unconventional scents as much as the next person, but I wish more effort had been made to make this into a wearable scent. Because there's something here -- like one component of a hypothetical, indie fragrance.

avfcdamian92's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

lets be honest here. chanel never fail to come up tops with there male fragrances and all of them appeal to men of all ages, excluding maybe antaeus. this amazing fragrance is probably the most quality of them all. as i am sniffing it right now i smell powdered greens, a spicy scent. im not great at describing notes and such but i know its green and spicy. the strength and longetivity are amazing. as i havent worn this out yet, it was for christmas, but one spray on my wrists and 17 hours later its still there, sometimes wafting up to me. i can imagine 3 sprays creating immense sillage with this sexy beast. i honestly cannot praise this enough, and i suggest anyone reccomend this classy, charming fragrance.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Incanto Dream by Salvatore Ferragamo

Although Incanto Dream is a fruity/ floral, it smells completly different from Incanto Charms. It is softer than Charms but still has a fresh and clean smelling scent. I smell apple, musk, and a little bit of pineapple mixed with some peony and freesia (I do not smell the mango in it at all). This scent also reminds me of spring/ summer time but could be worn year round with no problem. It is definately a feminine fragrance that is a bit flirty. Dream is the perfect name for this fragrance because al the notes blend well together and smell somewhat dreamy...it is crisp and fresh and smells sooooo good. It lasts a long time on me but it remains close to the skin. I love the Incanto line and I enjoy wearing all of them.

ooofireballooo's avatar

Realm by Realm Fragrances

Give this one a try regardless of the pheromones. It doesn't last on paper as well as others but the tangerine and juniper base smell is quite good. It's unique and the pheromones are just a added bonus. It does make you feel more confident and makes you think the ladies are checking you out more, which is good enough for me haha!

ooofireballooo's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

My mom got me this one as a birthday present and during my first tries I wasn't that big of a fan. After a couple hours though, the base smell is quite good. It has a nice citrus smell that makes the wait worth it. I've only smelled the original Issey once but I didn't see much similarity. I got no idea why this is an intense version but it has a similar citrus - floral smell. Check this one out and give it some time!

's avatar

Jil Sander Woman III by Jil Sander

I just have to write about this divine, incomparable scent! Thanks to a angel in Germany, I have a full bottle again!

I cannot think of another full-on leather scent that can I never, ever tire of. Even some of my other, wonderful, favorite leathers can be a little hard on my stomach... if over-applied. But this one... just gets *better*.
    It's a creamy, sort-of leather that isn't quite like suede. It's mild and medicinal at the same time -- medicinal, meaning it has a salubrious ad restorative kind of *freshness*, which calms and focuses the mind.

If it *were* leathe, it would be cream- colored, butter-soft, super-smooth buckskin.

If it were a *place*, it would be an elegant, light-flooded, modern flat with modern classic furnishings by Le Corbusier, or Gropius... And copious bookshelves full of psychoanalytic and postmodern theory.

If it were a *car*, it would be an eighties-vintage, "M" series BMW. White with cranberry interior.

If you EVER get a chance to smell this sensual, smart, unisex masterpiece, don't pass it up!

30th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 27th February, 2010)

Bartlebooth's avatar

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Purchasing this was a rather uncomfortable experience. I was at the front of quite a queue, and when I asked for XS from the shelf, I half expected it to be given to me in a brown paper bag. I am not normally prone to purchasing fragrances on the cheap side, but I felt it was worth revisiting an old friend. The opening is a big bergamot hello, and I wanted to look in the box for the droopy moustache,medallion and Barry White CD that would so perfectly accompany this big "Ta-da". Thankfully, the middle notes took control of this chaotic opening, and the effect is quite glorious. For me,the sense of Juniper is the key to this fragrance, it has the strength and the character to define this. I have had no hesitation in adding this to my wardrobe.It may be cheap, but it certainly comes with a wonderful personality. Longevity is not great, but I have the After Shave version, so it is bound to be a little on the weak side.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

My opening guess with the top note was that it might be oranges, but iced mango was a new one for me. It is the dominant note in the opening aria, and once it dies, so does the whole fragrance, The middle notes are muted and unobtrusive, but this seems like a scent with a lack of identity. This is nothing new and does not represent value for money.

Unforgivable by Sean John

I had high hopes for this, after smelling the yummy sugared orange at the top. But then it dried down to a faint supermarket soap. Unforgivable.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

The scent may be a tad generic fresh sport, but the quality, and its reference to Allure pour Homme, is pure Chanel. Longetivity, balance, the myriad of details and refinements, the smooth ride, add up to one of the best in the genre. Allure masculinity with a sunny face.

Very Cool for Men by Tommy Bahama

Very Cool starts with an icy ethereal mint and never thaws. Even its warmdown, its hint of spice, somehow stays cool. Pure white rum. I admire this fragrance, though don't know if I could wear it. This is Tommy Bahama's most conceptual statement yet. The ether-clear bottle and wood cap are charming.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

The lemon in this fragrance is certainly tenacious. I deeply suspect it can keep mosquitos away. This misguided experiment makes CK One smell sophisticated.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

My husband bought me this to wear for our wedding. It is his favorite. I would have chosen something more classic and demure that I had no connection with and would have never worn again, like Vera Wang or Beautiful. I felt extravagant in it then and seldom feel dressed up enough for it now. It feels cold in winter and ostentatious in summer. It has a sort of Ice Queen quality and is a little self-possessed. It is neither elegant nor charming, but perhaps coolly exotic and somewhat unapproachable. When I wear it, I feel like the only girl in the room. My husband says it fits me. He must smell something different. : )

c shore's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I had to LOL when I read Benjamin's review...I do the same thing especially on trying days, it makes the world a better place! I find Cherqui hypnotic, seductive, unique deeply sweet and intoxicating mellowness at the end.

abc1234's avatar

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

The best at the top of classy fragrances I tried: Guerlain Vetvier, Givenchy Gentelman, Burberry London, YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme and others.

Love it!

30th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 02nd January, 2009)

DLCC's avatar

Anvers by Ulrich Lang

I bought this. It's smells really good and the women love it. Very classy and the scent just keeps changing. Never had anything like this before. Like Mentallo said, it's not for everyone. The second Anvers, Anvers 2 smells alot like Jean Paul G's Fleur de Mal I feel. I tried both before deciding and although Anvers 2 was my first choice I went with Anvers 1. It grew on me and it a very warm scent for the fall/winter. I would not buy this again just because it is very pricey.

Lo Grecco's avatar

Homme Exceptionnel by Montblanc

Very similar to A*Men. Since I already have the later, I will not buy it, at least not at this time.

30th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 04th November, 2009)

StuckintheSixties's avatar

Ciara by Revlon

What a pleasant surprise. It IS the perfect winter fragrance, and I love the definition of it being "a new york street" type fragrance. It had another companion fragrance at the time that was green, but I cannot remember it's name.
    It is a definitive scent and I decided it was time to change my usual so I picked some up. Yummy!
    I love all the incense notes and the fact it doesn't smell fruity, watery,or as faint of heart that most perfumes are today.
    A true women's fragrance.

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I get curry… a deep caramelized curry spice accord that seems to have been on the shelf a little too long and has lost its sharper top notes: This is the accord that I get in the opening, and along with the curry, I can find the sandalwood, but it is rather in the background. After a while it disappears - I no longer smell it… I just smell the curry and the caramelized / semi-sweet background. After the sandalwood is seriously reduced, Santal de Mysore comes across to me as a linear fragrance: I liked it when I smelled the sandalwood, but after the sandalwood disappears, the curry / caramel notes, though enjoyable, just are not enough to capture and hold my interest for the total run of the fragrance. I find this fragrance agreeable, but not to the extent of several of the other Lutens’ fragrances.

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

One of the very few leather fragrances I can wear and almost enjoy, but, even so, my nose doesn’t get the remarkable fragrance that most people get. I get a little hawthorn in the opening and some iris smoothness from the heart accord, but basically my total experience with Daim Blond is a soft, full, neutral suede. The suede is mild and far removed from the disagreeable note that I receive from most leathers. The fact that it presents a very refined suede note rather than leather is apparently why I can enjoy it. I am not really thrilled by the smell of Daim Blond, but I get oh-so-many compliments when I wear it, presenting me with a personal conundrum and demanding of me more introspection concerning my value structure than I care to expend.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Smells like something from Tommy Bahamas Set Sails series. Not bad if it had Tommy B on the bottle but alas, it has Guerlain. Definitely a change in direction from them but this screams mediocrity and blandness. I expected better from this house.

Roadster by Cartier

Sharp mint and a huge sour note. Not even the "cashmere" woods & vanilla can save this from disaster. Unwearable.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

It's as if they mixed Gucci PH I (incense & woods) & Gucci PH II (dank tea and violets) and got this mess. Very weak too. There are much better scents out there.

scentimus's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

Yeah when one wants to smell like Ben Gay, Tiger Balm, or Absorbine Jr. give this one a try.

Did I mention that it may make a great muscle run after a of lifting....

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

*Eau de Parfum*

I must admit that I have never been a great fan of this classic. I`ve had some troubles with EdC, EdT and that Legere version too. I don`t hate them, at least not anymore, but they are just not my kind of juices. They are a bit too “classical” and conservative for my tastes, and in times they have been even off putting to my nose. The complex combination of bright citruses, powder, over-ripe vanilla and that certain animalic undertone has always seemed very bizarre to me, in a bad way.

My interest towards Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum has always been high though, just because I`m a real sucker for agar wood notes in perfumes.
    I finally got my bottle of this just this Christmas, and it was a blind gift to me : I hadn`t smelled it in anytime before the Eve.
    Luckily I was to find out that it is a marvellous scent, just my kind of Habit Rouge. Yes, by far my favourite concentration.

To me Habit Rouge EdP smells more like sweet dust, term that was launched my Luca Turin, more than any other version. And I like it; I like this smell of sweet dust!

Although HR EdP is very very notably genuine Habit Rouge creation, the small differences make decisive difference to me.
    This is very powdery too yes, or should I say even dusty, but it has way much more subdued citrus notes, it isn`s particularly animalic at all, and the vanilla note is to me much more pleasant here. In fact to my great surprise, in HR EdP I found one of the best vanilla notes I have ever discovered. Its breathtaking. Its detectable after many hours of application though, the one must be patient with that one. Subtle, ethereal, milky, fresh and surreal.
    And then there is that agar wood. This precious wood note is not very prominent note in this fragrance at all, its almost invisible at times, but I really do love that woody tinge and the whole structure it gives to this scent. It isn`t smoky or medicinal oud, but very smooth, polished and well balanced.

Habit Rouge EdP lasts a long time with very gentle sillage. It wears very close to skin. I can wear it easily anywhere, anytime – its very versatile scent to me.

One more funny thing. Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum is the first scent ever which has hooked me up by the smell of the bottle itself! The bottle is wrapped in a red leather coat. I`m not sure if its genuine leather or imitation, but it smells amazingly compelling and I have been sniffing it a lot in a few past days. The smell reminds me very much bookshop that also sells handcraft materials.

Habit Rouge *Eau de Parfum* is a fascinating entirety.

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I have had very controversial and strong reaction to this from the first time to the last.

Good things first : It is absolutely masterfully blended woody scent. To my nose balance is perfect, and it has a smooth and subtle development to it. Coffee beans mixed with precious woods and amber is very deliciously taken care of here. Its almost majestic, almost overwhelming. Very dark to me. Like a hypnotizing, sweet and warm shadow of a living mahogany tree.

Bad things : Although beautiful scent, I agree with some that there is something very “formal” in this scent. It smells very refined and luxurious, very mature. (=not my style basically) Its aristocratic and extremely serious scent. If there is a humour in this scent, it is extremely dry kind, yet intelligent and witty. Santal Noble smells like a grandpa I never had, and it kind of makes me sad.

Also I should mention that Santal Noble has always reminded me the way my woodcraft class-room use to smell back in the days I was in high-school. I have smelled numerous different woody perfumes, but believe it or not, nothing has ever given me so clear impression of that certain place and smell.

I hated school more than words can say, for certain reasons, and so unfortunately I cannot find this association as a pretty nostalgic whiff from the past. Everything else.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Notorious by Ralph Lauren

As Zibeline has so aptly noted, this Notorious is retro in feel (and presentation - the bottle is the cat's pajamas!) as a lovely cool and woody floral. What I love most about this elixir is it's wearability. While there are plenty of scents with distinct notes and bold characters, Notorious is one that begs to be recognized up close. It's beauty draws you closer...I find it compelling!

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

I have to be honest, this was a scrubber on me. I am a massive fan of Jean Claude Ellenna, but this is totally unlike his more famous creations, like L'Eau d' Hiver. I found it physically nauseating, it was so completely over-the-top with a rotten fruit note that repelled me completely. I was astonished by the strength of my reaction to it. I would rather smell Paris Hilton's CanCan than this.

I would suggest that if you want to try it, do so on a day when you won't be going anywhere afterwards and don't get any on your coat as it has remarkable persistence.

TaoLady's avatar

Beyond Love by By Kilian

Jus SO pretty. I am a huge tuberose fan and own several. I love her in all her phases - from the in-your-face jungle animal to the hot house lady and this creation of Calice Becker's is a real fave.

On me she starts jasmine-y green with the animalic undertones of The Real Thing (I am a florist) and quietly morphs into the refined slightly sweet presence of the huge bouquet across the room in a crystal vase.

RULLY lovely.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

9 IX Rocawear by Rocawear

I was going to write a review, then I read SirSlarty's...he pretty much sums it up. It smells like something else, though there is a bit of quality, just a bit, shinning thru.
    I get citrus and melon in the opening...and it doesn't change much from there. Light, very light woods and musk in the dry down.
    So just as already mentioned...just another frag from a clothing compnay trying to fit in. Love the bottle though...thin rectangular copper metal looking thing.