Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Heartwood's avatar

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

I was attracted by the name of this fragrance and was also disappointed. Imagine the Angel is a vapid fruity floral who supposes herself to be pure and lovely. She decides to get her wicked up by getting in some (Boucheron) Trouble, as bold an oriental as winking at a bartender. This is not a bad scent if I think of it as a youthful oriental. But it's not to my taste and I can see how many others don't care for it either.

scentsitivity's avatar

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

I was hesitant to try Elegance, primarily because the only other Lacoste I have tried, Essential, was so very disappointing. Elegance is better though. What stands out here is how well blended the notes are; nothing really jumps out at you or dominates. Rather, there is a measure of subtlety. Take the mint for example. It is certainly there, but one has to think about it to notice it. I find the opening to be pleasant and sweet, with light citrus tones. I find after time Elegance becomes boring. Not bad, just loses my interest. So I give it a neutral rating.

beltz's avatar

Clear by Neil Morris Fragrances

A great, long lasting fragrance with good sillage. I wear two sprays on my neck and I can easily smell this wonderful fragrance for a few hours at least - 3 hours so far, even though I am not moving or sweating to heat it up.

The odor is haunting and I really love wearing this one while walking. It smells very fresh, but not in a sharp citrus or aquatic kind of way. It is more like a light, sweet grapefruit than a sharp one - so it is perhaps less masculine than common grapefruit fragrances. I still love it and would wear it anywhere.

It is much better than both Jo Malone and Comme des Garcons' grapefruit fragrances, and quite different as well.

Scentologist's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

Czech and Speake No.88

This is not like I imagined it to be but is a pleasant surprise. The rose is the fragrance is muted and does not take center stage. Instead, the rose remains as in the background but I would not call it a supporting act. I would call it an elusive anomaly that uniquely resides in the shadows. No.88 is, to my nose, a sandalwood fragrance much like the sandalwood in Santal Noble without the vanilla. The rose that lurks is comparable to Montale’s Black Aoud but just enough of it for you to want more. No. 88 could be described as Santal Noble with a hint of black Aoud in the back. If you love that rose and you want it in full force with noting to hold it back, Black Aoud is the way to go as it is more savage. If you don’t like so mych rose and enjoy sandalwood, No. 88 is the choice. Both are very different. In fact as others have said, they are different enough to warrant ownership of both. No.88 is a great fragrance!

chengfun's avatar

Éclair de Tuberéuse by Il Profumo

This is not a smooth and creamy tuberose like Carnal Flower, instead it is quite spicy and piquant, and reminds me of Parfumerie Generale's Tubereuse Couture. I don't know the notes in this but I think I can detect ylang ylang which gives it its piquancy. Ylang ylang is also prominent in Tubereuse Couture, which would explain the similarity. In the dry down the butteriness of the tuberose comes through. It is heady and sultry, but not cloying. Quite beautiful.

Melisand's avatar

Essence D'Eau by Gianfranco Ferré

Essence d'eau, Gianfranco Ferre, launched in 2003, is one of a number of Ferre fragrances that are little known in the US. Best described as a floral oriental, it contains the following notes:

Top: Cedar Flower, Neroli, Kumquat Skin, Blackberry, Lily of the Valley
    Middle: Narcissus, Rose, Jasmin
    Base: Transparent Woods, Amber, Vanilla, Musk

The opening is more floral than fruit, with notes that are powerful, but ultimately well blended. The lily of the valley, a note that gives some people trouble, is immediately detectable, but not strident. After announcing its presence, it settles down and softens.

The middle notes are similarly well combined, with no single note taking center stage. This is perhaps due to the musky warm base. Jasmine certainly asserts itself, but it leaves the indoles behind. This is a tame jasmine, content to mingle with the rose and narcissus.

The base needs little description The notes say it all. A woodsy, ambery, musky, vanillic platform for the other notes. Nicely done.

This is a perfectly wearable feminine fragrance with moderate sillage. Spray lightly if wearing to the office.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Long lasting, sexy, blends well with armpit sweat & makes it very sexy when sprayed underarm
    great drydown
    wearer becomes a MAN

Rush for Men by Gucci

To put it in simple layman's words,this smells like a spicy lemon pickle
    very very indian

Vetiver by Guerlain

Highly Sophisticated
    Much ahead of its time
    long lasting
    to witness the drydown in the evening you need to spray on yourself the previous night,such a long scent

CoolWaterKale's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought this frag blind last year and I really, really wanted to like this...but its just doesn't cut it for me. I found it too overwhelming, woody and eucalypticly...i waited for the dry down in anticipation, but alas found that it too was far too strong, and uninspiring and the camphorwood in the scent is just awful.

I will never buy a frag blind again after buying this monstrosity.

Shame though.

31st December, 2008 (Last Edited: 08th August, 2009)

bbBD's avatar

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

I tried Vraie Blonde having read these reviews, expecting something sweet with a foul stench. I tried it again. And again. Someone should study the effect that reviews have in creating preformed expectations before trying a fragrance. I've noticed that sometimes a reviewer's comments will sometimes be assimilated by subsequent reviews, and I think that people then seek out the described traits when first experiencing the fragrance. Vraie Blonde is Exhibit A. MKK is Exhibit B )I did not find it to smell like testicle sweat as many describe).

I write all this as prelude to my report that Vraie Blonde is nothing but a fun little aldehydic fruity fragrance, fun and inoffensive. It starts out with a very aldehydic peach/berry note, the effect of which is something like a brut champagne. As it dries the peachy/berry note persists and is joined by light rose, and eventually the fragrance tails off with a light musk and perhaps a touch of rose and patchouli, though the base it not particularly sweet (an effect of the myrrh?). The entire composition comes off as if it was the love child of Chanel No.22 and Mure et Musc, and it would be perfectly matched with a spring day.

Yet another great ELO I'd like to have on my shelf.

Aznavour's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

Incredibly dated, but unlike many of the old classics, I still found this interesting. Very powdery and perfumey and oddly familiar, even after smelling it for the first time -- it must have been copied like crazy in the ensuing decades, I imagine. Or maybe it's all those aldehydes.

Definitely worth a try if you encounter it, but as a twentysomething young woman I can't imagine it being relevant for my generation anymore. Then again my taste runs a bit anti-perfume.

Zhara8's avatar

Tuscany per Donna by Estee Lauder

After much anticipation, (spicy carnation? fruits of Italy? sounded so promising!) I find this stuff to be utterly......... ho hum.

Very Dept. Store, very ordinary, a faintly pleasant floral/orchard note in the drydown, and a faint, distant reminiscence of Albert Nippon, which I used to like. Also a faint, distant reference to Fendi's original scent, which I detested. Tuscany per Donna is quite loud and lasting, so at least one gets one's moneys worth, I suppose. Although it's a '92 launch, it makes me think of the big hair 80's in a totally major way, a decade I adored, and yet this represents like the totally most bogus part of the eighties, like just too Nancy Reagan, like I am so sure, y'know.

Very, very glad I got the little bitty tester vial instead of a bottle.

Kismet's avatar

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Smells like a Gin & Tonic and lasts for 90 seconds. Unacceptable longevity. JCE needs to understand that fragrance is worn to be smelled.

Kismet's avatar

Lalique Le Parfum by Lalique

LaLique Le Parfum is surprisingly gorgeous. I have not been amazed by anything from LaLique until I bought Le Parfum which is a "real" full-bodied and sexy fragrance. Most describe Le Parfum as a fl-oriental but on me it wears like a vanilla-oriental with tiny dashes of patchouli and pepper. After a full day's wear I smell a soft marshmallow-y scent on my skin.

I imagine someone like Marilyn Monroe wearing Le Parfum. It's voluptuous, fleshy, sexy and unabashedly feminine but in a soft, gentle and old fashioned way. To me, "old fashioned" is not an insult but instead a compliment, because I prefer complex and full fragrances over the more sparse & modern style.

And, not that compliments are the best judge, but Le Parfum gets loads of compliments - everyone thinks this stuff smells wonderful.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Mackie (new) by Bob Mackie

This perfume smells ok, it isn't a bad smell (it is wearable but it's just not my style). It is a warm woodsy scent with some sweetness. On me, I do not smell any of the fruit notes AT ALL. I recieved this as a Christmas gift and I am trying to sell it. If I can't sell it, I would wear this from time to time just to use it up. I would not repurchase this one. Who knows, maybe this on will grow on me if I continue to use it. As of now it is just a boring wearable fragrance, nothing special.

anglecynn's avatar

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

I have Pink Sugar and enjoy it, but was looking for something a bit more complex. I tried all of the Lolita Lempickas, but found they all had too much going on for my taste. The sugar and vanilla balance the licorice and anise nicely, making this smell natural with just the slightest "bite." Definitely a yummy fragrance. I got pure sugar and vanilla for the first 2 minutes, then the licorice, followed by patchouli, mixed in for a few hours, then melded into the cedar/anise/vanilla. Starts out fairly simple, but becomes more complex, which I like. Many fragrances turn too sweet on me, but this managed to remain balanced throughout.the six or seven hours it lasted.

's avatar

Niki de Saint Phalle by Niki de Saint Phalle

I have thought a lot about whether or not I like this one...
    Boy you can smell the jasmine, and it feels pretty simple all along, yet interesting.
    There is an odd, old-fashioned, toothpaste quality to this, which I attribute to the marigold interacting with the jasmine and the santal.
    What I like about this one is its weirdness, and that it still resembles a fleshed out fragrance, if only a little -- probably because of the oakmoss.
    But, while Iike having it, and it amuses me, I never wear it. It's a novelty fragrance for me, fun and quirky as hell.
    The bottles are the most amazing in the world. And everyone hones right in it, "What's THIS ONE?"
    A conversation piece altogether.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

The opening reminded me very much of Christmas in Germany, with the combination of pine needles and cinammon biscuits. It is quite a heady opening, and not something that I would have cared to take around with me all day. Thankfully it does settle down into something very warm and seductive, although it took a good two hours to get there. This was on the cusp of Thumbs up/Neutral, but I will be generous as it does improve with time. I have to say that I loathe the bottle, appearances are important to me, and aesthetically it does not please me on sufficient levels.

hectorhoraciootero's avatar

Argentina Argentina

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

This does not work for me. Fresh start, but then the fragance vanishes almost instantly. I thought it would be o.k. for a summer party, but I was wrong.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Émeraude by Coty

I can't believe the good reviews this has gotten!  They sound more sentimental than anything.  I first saw a tv commercial for Emeraude the beginning of my 8th grade year.  I thought it looked so elegant I couldn't imagine it smelling anything but lovely.  I was also excited about being able to put a full-size bottle alongside my Dune and Liz Claiborne minis.  With no tester to lead my nose, I purchased a bottle, confident of what was inside and so taken with the name and the gem-shaped bottle.  Well, the stuff was horrid, sort of a pine-y, acrid, synthetic hodgepodge reminiscent of cleaning fluid.  But I would have never admitted this to anyone.  This, I learned, is what I got for buying drugstore fragrance and it was the last time I ever did so.  I tried so hard to love it, to even just sort of like it, that I powered my way through half the bottle before admitting defeat.  I just couldn't pretend anymore.

abc1234's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Wonderful.

It has similarity to the great Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar, but lighter and less soapy. It is formal yet not boring, romantic but not tacky, suitable for work place and parties. It does seem go down fairly quickly like within a hour or two, I can hardly detect much anymore.

31st December, 2008 (Last Edited: 18th January, 2009)

perrylounge's avatar

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Pros: I have never gone into a A & F store so I've not had the ambient "Fierce" experience. I suppose I don't want that classical conditioning. haha
    A manager at work wears this cologne. Perhaps with his body chemistry, this scent is so sexy and appealing to me. I love smelling it off his neck, yummy.
    I have smelled it on his jacket and clothes even after he wore them, say like a day later ;D (what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!) and it lasts and lasts.
    The smell doesn't come off as cheap to me, just fresh, a little trendy and very young smelling

Cons:
    The bottle is tacky, why would a guy need another guys perfectly chiseled chest on his cologne bottle?
    Maybe a little over advertised by A&F, but the cologne works with the right people.

perrylounge's avatar

Marc Jacobs Autumn Splash Ivy by Marc Jacobs

I love this scent
    Fresh, spicy, and very cooling
    I love the unisex scent and the classy huge bottle.
    Wear it to work or when you want to freshen up or wake your senses.
    Good job Marc Jacobs!

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

this wa smy mother's best perfume, her chemestry with the fragance was an absolute spell. BUT the formula change in the 90's and it was never the same. the one of the 70's and 80's (can't recall it before) was a charme. the recent one, is not so. I can recognize the fragance but it is not the same.
    perhaps is one perfume that captures all the exotic lands and desert dreams that antoyne de saint exupery had during his nigths of literary inspiration.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I agree with the opinion that this is a fragance for the mature man, I love the scent of it, my only objection is that the fragance, at least in me, is very volatile and does not stay for long.

Carlo Corinto Classic by Carlo Corinto

this fragance created in mexico city by Jean Pierre Duran and Lilia Ritally was a riot and a hit, I wont deny it was the 80's hit in the discos, but it is not a scent for me. the firm has been developing new fragances which will be a hit.

Royal's avatar

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

This is THE scent for hot climates. An extreme compliment getter. I could see this working terribly in a climate that wasn't hot and humid, but it is the perfect Florida scent. Highly recommended.

suburbanites's avatar

Must de Cartier Pour Homme by Cartier

If you can find it, and that's a challenge now that it's been so positively reviewed on AskMen.com, you should definitely buy this. It's very subtly understated, unique, and elegant. For anyone seeking something very "in-your-face", this isn't it. It's a very presumptive fragrance, unapologetic, and it exudes a very creamy richness. The basenotes of tonka bean with a hint of vanilla play well against the bergamot and anise. My wife loves this, and comments about how unique and captivating it can be.

suburbanites's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

While this fragrance is definitely Creed heritage -- what colognes would have smelled of 200+ years ago -- it's far too pungent to even consider for daily use in this century, much less last. The initial spray is far too strong, and the die down strikes you as feeling very cheap. It has all the character of a men's room urinal cake, and not in a good way. If you use any amount at all, use it sparingly or you'll quickly clear a room. There are better fragrances from Creed that leverage the heritage, Tabarome Millesme chief among them, Green Irish Tweed following a close second. REL is best left as a strong component of Creed's past, but it's far from contemporary and best as a history lesson.