Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

suburbanites's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I discovered this late in 2003 quite by accident, and after a sample I was completely hooked. This was among the few fragrances where I'd exhaust the bottle and then look for another, then a third. I'm lucky that I have the original 2003 version in a box as a stand-by because it's unique and a complete classic.

Current buyers beware that this is not the 2007 edition, but the 2003 edition to which I refer (the Tom Ford edition), which is no longer in production. The replacement (Gucci PH II) is not even remotely the same fragrance, which is a shame. The original was woody, with a nice smoky, woodsy blending that dries into a very soft amber. It's reminiscent of a fall day in the woods, and it's such a masculine casual fragrance that has an understated class not found in most newer scents. My wife finds it heavenly, not over-powering, and subtle in its aroma, like cozying up to a warm fireplace on a late autumn afternoon.

If you can find stock on this version at a Sephora or other retailer, this is well worth a try and probably a buy in my view.

31st December, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 September, 2010)

ms miasma's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a spicy amber- a bit like Calvin Klein's Obsession but far more refined. My husband loves it. Strong stuff and definetly a a no knickers night out vibe out about it. My hubby approves!

31st December, 2008