Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

He Wood by Dsquared2

SirSlarty nailed this one -- this is a sharp and rather monotonous wood frag whose longevity may be great but whose complexity (or, rather, the lack thereof) leaves a great deal to be desired.

For a truly great cedar-based frag, try Heritage or Equus. Even Tumulte's not half bad, and reasonable to boot. But this one? Hardly worth the bother, especially for the hefty price.

scentsitivity's avatar

Acier Aluminium by Creed

There is a lot going on here: fruit, spice, incense lurking in the background, some sparkle, and a good dose of vanilla. It took several wearings to develop an appreciation for Acier Aluminium, as the warm spiciness contrasted with the ‘cool’ metallic note in the background (which I believe is from the incense that other reviewers have noted). I think it is a decent fragrance with a sensual character. Not one that I will buy for myself, but with definite merit and certainly unique.

beltz's avatar

Yvette by Michael Storer

I like Yvette for the weirdest of reasons. People often associate perfumes with memories, and usually in a romantic way. This won't be the case here, but memories is the reason why I like Yvette.

When I was 10 years old turning 11, my house was set on fire on Christmas Eve. It's not as bad as it sounds like, but I mention this since I associate two perfumes with it.

Comme des Garcons's Tea smells like my house the day after it burned. It was partially damaged so we could enter, and it smelled of burnt wood, which was nice in an odd way.

Yvette smells like a product used in a "smell machine" contractors used to make the burnt wood smell go away. They had repaired the house but for a few months, it would still smell like burnt wood. This machine produced a "pink" scent that gradually overcame the smoky odor. Yvette is very similar to that odor, and so my memory associates 6 months of insurance money coming in, buying me a Super Nintendo with the newly released Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat and other gems... As I said, this wouldn't be a romantic review. I was 11 year old when we started using the smell-machine. Now I want a bottle of it.

distortech's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Not my favourite from this house, but no bad. I do like the coconut note and the overall scent does bring alot of compliments when I wear it.

Also, dare I say, this bottle is much, much, much better than the last couple (ya know, the ones with the stickers that love to come off and the tops that leak).

I think this one will grow on me.

wtb's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A very highly addictive scent in the true sense of the word. Fellas; once you ty this, you and the special women in your life will be hooked FOREVER!! Enjoy...

jathanas's avatar

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

Vétiver Tonka is a very interesting creation. bbBD's review mirrors my opinion on this fragrance perfectly (and writes it much better than I would). I need to highlight though just how well the vetiver and the tonka balance each other out; together they become greater than the sum of their parts. My favorite vetiver implementation and one of the best Hermessence products.
    Hint: Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile layer beautifully.

lizzie_j's avatar

Tihota by Indult

My H.G Vanilla. Tihota has the most intense Vanilla with a pure and clean musk base. Just lovely all by itself, but also layers well. Lasts all day. Sillage is modest, so I can wear it to work. Simple and sumptuous.

Acier Aluminium by Creed

Take some orange, add some vanilla, then add some metallic "clean bathroom smell" and urinal cakes. Surprisingly, its not as bad as it seems, and its pretty fascinating, however I just don’t “like” it. It doesn’t smell “good” and it doesn’t smell “bad.” Anyway, there's better stuff out there, and it feels a bit dated to me anyway. On second thought, maybe I’m being too open minded - this stuff can be pretty gross. My extreme fascination for it is slightly overpowered by the smell of urinal cakes and I’m starting to feel nauseous. Well, you might like it. Definitely worth trying, especially if you like to smell unique. After all, it may react completely differently on your skin.

9/10 for originality, 4/10 overall (for me)

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

To my nose, this was all grass and... some other hard to distinguish stuff. Smells really good though, like clean grass and light lemony soap. Nothing to write home about but nice, and goes well under the radar. If you like this, but aren’t intrigued, try Mugler cologne. It’s similar, much sexier, but a little more synthetic and lime-y.

Unfortunately, after a while I noticed something in this that is very bothersome… there is this chemical note in it that wears off with time, but MAN is it ever gross. Is it cinnamon floor cleaner? Acetone? I’m having a hard time describing it but all I can say it makes me not want to wear this. Rather ironic since otherwise, this smells so natural! What a shame...

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I thought I would hate this. Then at first spray, I absolutely loved it. Then I realized this is what all the douchebags in Montreal wear. Worst of all, they overdo it. Either way, once I put those associations to the side, I came to terms with myself, and admitted this is a masterpiece. It’s sexy, youthful, clean, and has the tiniest bit of barbershop accord to it giving it some class. It’s also unique in the sense that it’s a gourmand that doesn’t smell like cookies, but more like some sort of other dimension candy that doesn’t exist. Although Body Kouros and Lolita Lempicka have a similar vanilla base to le male, those fragrances get annoying on me while le male just stays so fresh and amazing the whole time. Strangely, if this wasn’t a synthetic, it wouldn’t be so good. I also have to reluctantly admit that I’d probably give this a 10/10 if it was niche or not so over-worn by everyone and their mother.

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

The notes here are kind of hard to decipher, but as others have more or less said, it can be described overall as a smooth and lush combination of sugary-sweet soap and suede, over an extremely magnetic musk called Nirvanolide. Truly soft and comforting, yet sexy and modern, Prada Amber smells like a trendy and clean person’s apartment. It's just one of those fragrances that you have to go out and try, as it's almost impossible to get a feel for it by simply reading reviews - it's that unique that it can't really be imagined without smelling it first. While it does smell pretty synthetic, fortunately it only gets annoying for me if I spray too much. Otherwise, it's pretty sheer and light.

It may sound weird, but I feel compelled to mention that the suede note kind of smells like my dog a bit, but like many dog owners do, I love the smell of my dog and so I also love the smell of Prada Amber. A modern classic and something unique and sexy among the thousands of mundane and repetitive releases these days.

8.5/10

04th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2009)

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

This opens like a cacophony of notes, like the best spice rack you’ve ever smelled. Cardomon, cinnamon, clove, pepper, nutmeg, etc. Smells amazing. Would I wear it? Probably not. This stuff is very mature and classy, but not in the way I like to smell, and not in the way that I find appealing or sexy. It is however very, very well blended and top quality. If I wanted to smell like a spice rack, I would have found my holy grail.

9/10 for quality and craftsmanship (even though I don't want to wear it)

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

Let me start by saying that this only smells like ocean because you expect it to. In reality, it smells more like baby wipes, something slightly fecal (a la Musc Ravageur), and a slightly salty kind of play-doe smell with overtones of Noxzema creme… Not at all what I was expecting! It smells less like the ocean, and more like human skin drying in the sun after a dip in the ocean. To me, Aqua di Sale is a definitely a skin scent – over-apply it and you’ll probably just get a bunch of play-doe and Noxzema – wear the right amount and you’ll end up smelling like as though your skin just naturally smells great. Although Aqua di sale smells more realistic than Sel de Vetiver, I personally prefer Sel de Vetiver because it smells (different and is) better overall with the same kind of effect…

nota bene: While Erolfa and Aqua Bulgari smell more like the ocean, Sel de Vetiver and Acqua di sale smell more like ocean-kissed skin. (Therefore, Acqua de Sale is one of those fragrances I can only enjoy on skin, not my clothes).

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

A perfume will rarely smell how I imagined it smells in my mind, and this is no exception. Those expecting a fragrance that is solely vanilla-dominant may be disappointed, as SDV opens with a strong bitter/sour red berry/cherry (it's actually pink peppercorn) note, a huge blast of high quality, natural-smelling cedar and a touch of rose and ylang ylang. While I was initially pissed off that the vanilla only emerges in the drydown (along with benzoin), I now appreciate this beauty for what it is. If it was vanilla and only vanilla all the way through, I could see myself getting annoyed. Instead, SDV evolves beautifully throughout the day - it starts off tart and stimulating, then shifts gradually towards a woody heart. Finally, a few hours in, you're left with the thick and boozy vanilla you've been waiting for.

Great stuff overall, and even though the bitter berry notes threw me off a bit at first (I believe the berry note can even be interpreted as pipe tabacco by some), I've grown to love every stage and note of SDV. It might not be the perfect vanilla fragrance in the classical, simplistic sense, but it's a fantastic interpretation.

As a side note, while Indult's Tihota (another ridiculously expensive vanilla fragrance) might be on par with SDV in terms of being one of my favorite vanilla-based scents, I might mention that SDV is not only the one that's somewhat worth its painfully high price, but it's also more interesting.

9.25/10

04th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2009)

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

Heavy on what smells like pine and cedar (I’m not sure what Hinoki wood smells like on its own), this fragrance has a meditative quality about it – feels kind of like a place out in the country here in Quebec, but with a touch of something comforting like the smell of a steam room minus the sweat. As others have said, this really does smell like a wood shop full of saw dust.

Hinoki smells like what I wished Creed’s Epicea would smell like – a modern piney, woody fragrance. It’s not sensual but it's manly and mysterious. I'm not blown away, but I like it.

04th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2009)

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

Patchouli soaked in sugare-cane sweetened rum over smooth white musk and a champagne-like texture of cedar.

I loved it, then I hated it, now I love it again. Review subject to change in 24 hours.

04th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 15th March, 2010)

Gaucho by Ayala Moriel

Dry, yet somehow damp and green. If you enjoy or know what real yerba mate smells like, this is similar, but disappointingly different. It smells more mossy than grassy, and more musty than fresh. I didn’t really enjoy this, since it smells old fashioned and kind of like a bitter, damp swamp, instead of how I imagined it would (ie. fresh Japanese green tea (sencha) and yerba mate). Well… I’ll stop complaining and just say that I didn’t like it.

I feel bad giving it a neutral because I admire Ayala's work (especially Razala), but this just didn't do it for me.

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

This was my gateway drug into perfumemania, so I can't hate it.

It's musk and white flowers with powder. It isn't subtle, however, which baffles me whenever people say that. It sure overpowers the air whenever someone's wearing it (and I've noticed that people tend to wear a lot of it). Looking back, there is a slightly chemical quality to the 'warmth' that now strikes me as jarring.

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

Very prominent tropical florals with an interesting musk base. Having grown up with frangipani and jasmine in 'the tropics', the character of this scent resonated with me and, sigh, I went for the big bottle.

This scent can be overpowering; it's not subtle by any means. It also lacks complexity and, looking back, those tropical florals can degrade into old-lady-gardenia-perfume territory.

Stella by Stella McCartney

(I have the Absolute version.)

Many people have said it before, but it bears repeating: this is a modern rose perfume. It's light enough to be wearable during the day, but complex enough to be taken out at night. Not groundbreaking by any means, but if you're a 21st century girl with a latent romantic streak, you should try this. It is straightforward rather than flirty.

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

A wearable mint fragrance that strikes a good balance between floral and green. Not that it's floral, but it doesn't have a harsh, grassy quality to its greenness. Very refreshing, especially in the summer. Doesn't last, but then it's subtle enough to be sprayed multiple times.

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Fun grapefruit fragrance with a vanilla drydown that's fun without being overly-flirty. Good for daytime wear; very refreshing. Doesn't last terribly long, but that's fine.

SummerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Smells like sunscreen with a yellow/powdery dry-down. You either like the sunscreen thing, or you don't. I didn't like the idea at first, but I've grown to appreciate it. It's definitely a comfortable, day-wearable scent that's at least a little bit interesting.

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

I obsessed over this for months! It's completely unlike anything else; there's something more abstract about it, perhaps because of that high Iso E content. From the pepper and citrus opening to the cedar-chemical drydown, this scent is amazing. AMAZING. Modern and nuanced and exciting.

jujy54's avatar

New Zealand by Demeter Fragrance Library

Green but not astringent. There is sweetness that I couldn't place until I picked some tulips from my garden - it was tulip!
    NOt long-lived sorry to say.

LedByMyNose's avatar

Milk by Ava Luxe

As noted by other, shares many similiarities with CSP Matin Calin. Differences for me are 1)lacks the caramelized/burnt sugar note of Matin Calin 2)seems to be somewhat less sweet than Matin Calin 3)drydown is all musk on me - no more milky/condensed milky notes. It's the third item in that list that put me in the thumbs-neither-up-nor-down category for this frag. Also, personally, I prefer Matin Calin, and would even without the musky drydown with this one.

trenjct's avatar

Black Suede Touch by Avon

A steal for the price it can be had for. My favorite Avon if you discount U by Ungaro and Noir by Christian Lacroix. Much better than expected.

Ruqayya33's avatar

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

I found this frag way too ordinary, old fashioned and STRONGLY perfumey. I first sniffed it on a tissue and didn't like it. Then I tested it on my wrist and still didn't like it. Something (but I don't know what) in it offends my nose.... The only plus is it's staying power; it lasted well over 12 hours on me.

chemicalcamel's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Joop! Jump by Joop!

have had two 100ml bottles to date. simply a fantastic fragrance.

AnnS's avatar

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

Heure Exquise is one of my HG fragrances. For me it opens with a strong aldehydic galbanum-rose. Sometimes the rose note is very fleeting. The bulk of the heart notes and dry down focuses on a blissful combination of creamy iris and dry powdery sandalwood. It is just divine, sexy and warm. Sometimes the lasting power is not good. A second application about one to two hours after the first seems to make it settle in - and I love the smell of the opening so much that reapplying is no problem for me. The dry body oil formula is also rich and warm and I highly recommend it. Heure Exquise is sexy and sophisticated, and can be worn all year for all occasions. Strangely I find the iris note to be particularly highlighted during very hot/humid weather in the summer. ( It also does indeed smell very much akin to Chanel No. 19, which has a similar galbanum & iris accord, but is much greener and fresher, with a chypre type dry-down. )