Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Magie by Lancôme

A VERY classy aldehyde - mostly jasmine and amber on me. Lasting power is outstanding, dry down is a soft, powdery, floral amber, and the sillage is good. It is definitely a "white shirt" / "little black dress" type fragrance that can be worn all year day or evening. This is not a cold or rigid aldehyde, but very warm and sunny. Wearing this frag always boosts my confidence.

Magie Noire by Lancôme

Magie Noir is warm, rich, sexy, "dirty" wood-rose fragrance. It smells great, especially after it's had some time to warm up on the skin. It is a classic fragrance bargain and should be tried. Men love this, especially after it's reached the dry down and has completely melted into the skin. Lasting power is excellent, sillage is medium strong, and it can be worn day or evening all year. I especially like this in fall and winter though. Wearing it is like sitting near a great warm fire. (This could also be unisex on the right man.)

Donna by Lorenzo Villoresi

I agree with jcasanov that this one really depends on chemistry. Donna smells like a refreshing floral-rose garden fragrance on me in the summertime when the weather is very hot and humid. It's a great womanly floral if it works. The dry down is a spectacularly soft and powdery. This one definitely should be tested before buying.

Baghari by Robert Piguet

Baghari is a beautiful, soft, powdery orange blossom aldehyde. It is very feminine and classy. A great fragrance for all occasions, but especially those that require a special lady-like touch. The dry down is soft and very pretty. This one should definintely be tested before purchase b/c when it doesn't work on someone, it's a real tragedy. (This review is for the new release version, not the classic.)

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Piper Nigrum isn't really me...that being said, it has the great, refreshing blast of icy coolness of Noxema face cream. If you want clean, refreshing, just out of the shower fragrance, this one is it.

Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi

Dilmun is a rich, refreshing orange blossom fragrance. It is much richer than a typical citrus style cologne. I enjoy the smell of orange blossoms very much, and Dilmun is fairly true to a fresh orange blossom. It reminds me of the type of orange blossom found in very high quality cooking/baking waters. It has a nice light, spicy dry down, that ends up somewhere in a vanilla neighborhood, but not sweet or cloying. Wearing it reminds me of being in an excellent patisserie - beautiful, fragrant, flavorful, satisfying.

Algharb's avatar

Portugal Portugal

V pour Homme by Valentino

I entirely agree with Joshaugustt: no lasting power at all... My skin fault? And plus: I don't understand this stuff, I weare it from time to time trying to understand and like it - no way! Oriental? Spicy? Vanilla? V? What? Don't know what to do with the amount left in the bottle...!!!:-/

Palicao's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Are we sure? Are we sure we want to taste and smell like icecream or candies? And why I liked it soo much?

While I was thinking about this perfume, I went to the tube and I saw an old ad of it. A nice man, muscular body, charming face. Should he wear Black XS? and if so, for what reason?
    Wearing Balck XS is an experience. You could get annoyed by it in a matter of an hour, you could love it to death. Being so sweet that's it's ravishing, Black XS open the noses to a childlike paradise, where probably everything is made of candies and there's just a few witches with a marzipan house to be aware of. After that something happens. The perfume start to cool down leading towards the woods notes.
    In a matter of time, you comes from a candy to sexy.
    "Again, would he wear it?" I asked myself while waiting the train.
    And the answer was "Yes". Yes because he knows how to be masculine (his body speaks for him, isn't it?) and yes because he's not afraid of it.
    Would I wear it? And the answer is maybe.
    I have to give it another try and decide if I'm going to be strong enough to wear it without any fear (mainly because my body speaks for me as well, and it doesn't say anything good. ahahah) and if the strong opening will stop to give me a certain nausea eheh

04 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2009)

Palicao's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I loved this, ok? Just to let you know, because I'm going to write some silly stuff.

This new Paco Rabanne perfume is essentially a blatant piece of gold and velvet to smash your nose.
    Is it sweet? the patchouli is kinda strong in the end and yes, makes this fragrance sweet and strong.
    Is it masculine? I don't know why but yes, it is. It's strong and sweet and unusual BUT is still somehow masculine. Could it be the leahter? The Woods maybe? I guess it's a long time that sweet perfumes for men hit the market, so maybe we are now more akin to them. But I tried it yesterday and it's still on my skin and on the sweater I had on while at Boots to try it.

It's not a perfume I would wear by the way. For some strange reasons it tends to become even more sweeter than it is in the bottle.
    But since I tried it, I'm smelling it on a lot of men. On almost all of them, this perfume went more masculine than on me, for reason really unknown.
    I smelled it on an arab guy on the tube, and on him it twisted so much to be almost unrecognisable becoming powerfully sexy (slightly less masculine than a classical perfume though).

Don't blind buy it. Try it on. It lasted on me for ages and now I'm going to have a shower because my wrist are still smelling 1 Million.
    But has this perfume is so strong that I'm impressed it was a best seller :p
    Best seller ever, I've been told.

I'm very curious to know why.

JacobMc's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I love this scent so much on others, but it just smells awful on me. I smelled it first a few years ago on an acquaintance of mine at work. I decided to rush out and drop a hundred and fifty bucks on this without smelling it on myself. Big Mistake!!! I have given this frag several chances to grow on me but I guess it is just not my style. I am giving it a thumbs up though because it smells absolutely outstanding on everyone else I have smelled it on but myself. Oh well, guess I'll just stick with my trusty Creed MI and OV for now.

mkirk760's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

We'll I sure as heck did my research on it before buying. Compared to most other colognes this one had the majority of thumbs up and there were a few thumbs down. I can strongly say that in no way am I dissapointed with this fragrance. I absolutely love it. It's unique and clean. It reminds me of Gucci Envy but way more fresh and not as nose hair burning as I like to call it. It's easy on the nose even when you put it right up to your nose but when you wear it, the after affect is very strong and lasts quite long. It's for the younger generation and is quite expensive but for a 3.3 oz. bottle I think it's totally worth it because I don't think that there is many colognes are as fine and fresh as it is. The overall scent gets an A from me and I highly recommend it.

Persona's avatar

Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin

To my nose on my skin it was like an unsophisticated mix of Boucheron Jaipur and D&G LightBlue.
    Way too generic for my taste

Dune by Christian Dior

Yeah, I wear this and I love it. It definitely works as a masculine, on me at least. It lasts a good long while, too. The drydown, especially when it gets on my clothes, is, perhaps, a little musty, but not unpleasantly so. I am looking forward to buying the extrait and layering a small amount of it with the EdT. (I want to try this with Shalimar as well) I don't really get what Luca Turin means by its "Bleak" quality; I find it fairly sensual, maybe a 6.5 on the sexy scale, with 10 being Carnal Flower and 1 being, I don't know, maybe CK One. Five stars!

Shalimar by Guerlain

Yeah, boys, that's Shalimar that I'm wearing and I love it. I definitely get the bergamot top notes when I spray it on, sit, sniff, and savor. I use the EdT from the local chain drugstore and it sucks that it just don't last long enough on my skin. I am looking forward to beggaring myself, poor working slob that I am, to get the Extrait. Viva Guerlain for inventing this, and it truly is the standard that all orientals must measure up to. There wouldnt be any Angel without this stuff. Five stars!

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Okay, here's the two cents of a guy who wears this stuff. (My male friends get very confused by my hobby; screw 'em.) When I first sprayed Angel on, boy, was I confused. I'm a perfume neophyte (altho I've always liked the stuff; started out years ago with Antaeus and Aramis, and used to sneak my roommate's Poison in the 80's), and although I wear Shalimar (which gets me called sissy boy), I was unprepared for the full on mondo bizarro assault on the senses that Angel provides. The top notes I prefer to savor in the privacy of my home before going out. This also spares those who may not have my, ahem, uncoventional tastes in male worn fragrance. But I find that when I wear it into the heartnotes and drydown, even my manly buddies will tell me taht I smell good. Whether this is because I smell to them like (1) a pretty girl or (2) food is yet to be established. All I know is that I love the stuff and am looking foward to trying the Rose and Violet (I love ionones) versions. Five stars!

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Please God, let me be able to afford this some day. And yes, I am the straight man who would wear this. I tried to make my sample from Barney's last a month by taking little sprays on my wrist and huffing away at it at home like a guilty crackhead. I love it, I want it, and I want to give it to the woman I'm madly in love with. She may have to wait until I get mine, though, hee hee! The tuberose whacks you upside the head, and then while your'e reeling from that, the jasmine and freshly crushed green foliage notres drift in, the the tuberose comes back, and they sort of tug-of-war each other for a while, but tuberose is the Ali of flowers (a sexy, sexy Ali, mind you), and wins in the end. A damn masterpiece. This is the smell of sex to me in a floral, and perfectly named. Five million stars!

SmellyNinja's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Starts off sweet and slightly spicy and ends with an amber, woody base. It's very subtle - perfect for a night romantic evening when you want to be up close and personal, but the low sillage keeps it from being a good club scent. Longevity is average. A great for cold months.

You can make an "Intense" version by adding a little squirt of D&G Pour Homme.

04 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 January, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Grey lavender, delicate smoky amber” (Lutens product information)
    The range of opinions on this is most interesting. Those who like it, like it a lot. I’ll put my cards on the table: I love dry aromatic lavender and I don’t like amber. This scent has very little lavender and it has a particular style of amber. And yet, it is so well made that I cheerfully give it a neutral.
    As I said, to my nose the lavender is MIA. Almost immediately I got a creamy, buttery amber note, with a bit of a salty tang. For a while this aspect dominates. It is somewhat unusual, and not unpleasant. It reminds me of a smoky cream cheese. The amber is translucent or “claire” and it is not cloying. In dry-down the amber becomes more conventional.

04 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2012)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Route Mandarine by Manuel Canovas

There is only one word to describe this perfume...COCO (and the Chanel IS superior).

Words's avatar

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

First of all, this is nothing like ANY of the Creed's mentioned. Nothing like GIT, nothing like MI, and certainly nothing like SMW. I mean, come on people, it's like you're trying so hard to compare scents, especially Bond to Creed, that you'll settle for the closest category that it fits into. Makes me wonder if all of the people doing this have fake Creeds. Okay, so GIT and RSD are green, that's about IT. So MI and RSD have fruity notes, that's IT. The comparisons are both irresponsible and poorly thought-out. RSD is so green when it first goes on, that it's almost overwhelming. Not a very fresh green, but more of a ripe green fruit. Whatever water fruit is, it's the perfect description. Very ripe, wet, juicy, and green. Anyone ever had Ugly Fruit before? It looks like a grapefruit, but truly horrid looking on the outside. The inside is another story, reminds me a little of this wonderfully tasty Bond. As for the sillage and lasting power, A+!!! Beware of the comparisons to Creed, people, they are inaccurate AT BEST, although they do have one defining characteristic in common... absolute first rate, exceptional quality! Go get Riverside Drive!

Park Avenue by Bond No. 9

Reminds me a lot of Bulgari Pour Femme, not a bad scent at all, but just kind of over priced. It is long lasting, but there are other scents out there that stand out for less money. Feminine and floral with a hint of musk, not too spicy. Not bad, but not worth the price

Nectarine Blossom & Honey by Jo Malone

I agree with the EBBELINE, it starts off fresh and fruity, kind of like sweet peaches, but turns into a sour metallic rusty smell. It gets bitter with age and all thats left is the smell of sour alcohol, similar to starch you use when you iron your clothes. I still think Orange blossom is the best floral by jo malone

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

This smells exactly like walking inside a Hindu Temple, Sikh Temple or Mosque in India. its very incense and smokey. Its not bad, but unless you want to smell like burning incense sticks out of a religous temple, I can't understand why anyone would want to wear this cologne? You could get the same effect but sitting in a room with incense sticks burning and have your clothes smell smokey and woodsy.

Don't get me wrong, I like the smell of Incense sticks , but I can't possible think of a reason why anyone would want to smell like it?

Sweet Lime and Cedar by Jo Malone

Its okay but it becomes really creamy and woodsy after a while. It kind of makes me want to throw up, similar to the effect of smelling too much "coconut" in a fragrance. This has no vanilla but its a very "Creamy warm woodsy" type of cedar and the lime vanishes after the first minute. Maybe its the tonka bean that makes it too creamy?

The longevity is great for a jo malone, probably the longest lasting jo malone out there, but still...I would much rather own vetyver by Jo malone, its more woodsy with a touch of orange and nutmeg, Creamy but not too creamy like sweet lime and cedar

05 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2009)

unregistered's avatar

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

I adore the leather base, but not the floral top, especially lily of the valley--it's very acrid and green initially. What it settles into about two hours after application is absolutely beautiful--the powder of iris tempers the sharpness of leather. The pink color is incongruous as there's nothing "pink" about the fragrance at all, and the name--despite the connotation of the Kelly bag, the Hermes brand and leather--has a stripper name quality to it when taken out of context. I think I'm put-off enough by the sharp opening to not wait for the lovely base.

atrac's avatar

Green Tea by Victor

An absolutely splendid Tea fragrance. It is indeed unisex and I'm quite comfortable wearing it (I feared it would be too feminine).

If you want a fantastic Tea scent that lasts a long time and projects well, this is the one to get. It can be found for around $20US (or less) and is truly a fantastic bargain, as it smells like it would cost 3x as much.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Very vetivery! The undusted version of Guerlain Vetiver. Steam Clean, as Luca Turin puts it. And it's true. I think I like the shower gel even more than the scent itself. It's very, very simple, and that can be good too!

For example, ask any Italian how to eat pasta. He'll say that the star of the pasta is.... (not the sauce, not the extra vegetables, not the meat, but...) the pasta itself! Keep it simple stupid, keep it clean. Less is more.

That's exactly what Mugler Cologne is. A warmish soapy citrus.

05 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 02 December, 2009)

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme by Bulgari

My favourite outdoor scent! I once wore this scent when hiking through the hills with two friends, and I still am remembering that wonderful day. I would find the floral components a tad too feminine when wearing this to the office, but all in all, a very inoffensive scent.

The extra kick that the Extreme version has, is well worth it, in my opinion. I do get decent longevity out of this one, but expect the musky basenotes to stay very close to the skin.

And oh, it doubles as a room perfume when I wipe the floor and spritz some on the cleaner.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

My favorite Creed. Now, if you're reading this, there's a high chance that you think Creed is some magical brand with divine properties. Well, no. But their marketing is alright. Creed is one of the most accessible niche brands of today.

Silver Mountain Water has a beautiful blackcurrant opening. I like cassis. It mingles with the musky-ambergris base. Like most millesime scents, it's very simple and it relies on the higher quality (probably more expensive) ingredients in the basenotes to project class.

It has a good longevity, although I soon get olfactory fatigue from this scent and it stays close to the skin. I like to wear this in summer. I do find it more masculine than feminine, although I'm very sure women can pull this one off easily as well.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

A very classy offering from Gucci. I like it. In this era of watered down, fresh scents, Gucci pour Homme stands tall proudly.

Cedar, incense and amber... and yes, pencil shavings is what you might interpret it as, but it's as classy as wood can be!

To my nose, it smells very similar to Andy Tauer's L'Air du désert Marocain, although this niche scent has a better longevity, more incense, and is a tad more dry than Gucci pour Homme.