Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Utter class. I find it a formal, romantic scent. Certainly not something you wear with the boys out, going for hot dogs and beer at the game.

It's powdery, sweet, chocolaty. If I close my eyes and envision a shape for this scent, it would be a very round shape, without edges. Citrus aldehydes are high-pitched scent notes, but Dior Homme is as round and soft as a scent can be.

Very distinguished. I like it better than the Intense version, that is too chocolaty. I do like Dior Homme Cologne, which has less sweetness, and more citrus in the top and middle notes.

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Iris seems to be the next hot thing in perfume business nowadays. Prada Infusion d'Iris is a very nice take on this theme. It's cool iris on a bed of cool fuzzy white musk, quite powdery. Very versatile, can be worn to the office or to a dinner. It's too subtle for clubbing or bear hunting, though.

Very wearable for a man - I have come across more feminine scents than Infusion d'Iris. Due to its coolness, it's very androgynous as well.

8.0/10

05th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 26th December, 2008)

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Very high pitched, screeching top notes thanks to the neroli and citrus. What follows is a cold iris note, and after 15 minutes you're left with a soapy note. Very clean, and even synthetic smelling, like an offering from Zegna. Now mind you, I don't use synthetic as a degoratory term, you just have to like it.

A very clean, meet-the-parents-in-law scent. No warmth at all. I guess it's okay for the occasion.

distortech's avatar

Shanghai Butterfly by Nanette Lepore

I totally agree with takemyhusbandplz.

This is a lighter "Light Blue" with an ever so slightly darker base that has half the longevity of D&G.

Sugandaraja's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Anbar by Comme des Garçons

I find this fragrance charming, luxuriant and unusually well priced for a niche fragrance.

I think the title may have mislead people looking for something in the vein of Ambre Sultan or Ambre Russe. This is nothing like those rich orientals.

Sure, I can picture an Anbar where the carnation was amped up to clove territory, more spices were added, a stronger amber note present in the base... but then it wouldn't be the refreshing citrus cologne it is.

Anbar starts out all sweet orange, mandarin and neroli, the carnation adding spice to the blend. Gradually the amber begins to take over, and after two to three hours this is a quiet ambery skin scent.

For a cologne, it has excellent longevity.

This is a warm fragrance rather than a cool aquatic, and I find it to be every bit as good in winter as in summer.

jhclare's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I'm new here, this is my first review of a cologne so please bear with me!

I love this stuff. I wore it exclusively last Xmas and it reminds me of this time of year.

This is one of the only colognes I have tried where I can detect the individual notes! They come and go and I find it very comforting to wear.

Many colognes I have tried recently have not impressed. Givenchy Gentleman just smells like Pachouli to me, I cannot really pick out anything else. I like Pachouli, but when you spend money on cologne you want something a bit more complex!

People who think this is sweet are way off - I find it quite the opposite! Bitter (not in a bad way) coffee and dark chocolate, mint, lavender, I get all of these notes and more!

This is one I wear for my benefit, if others like it too then that's a bonus.

I'm off to order this year's bottle.

Fougères Marines by Montale

This is the second niche perfume in a row that smells very similar to other mainstream scents? I agree with the Tommy comparisons. It's sorta/kinda/almost like Cool Water but it's not as aromatic. FM is a very pleasant offering in the fougere class. I was hoping for more of a salty-style marine fragrance in the style of Bulgari Aqua Marine but you can't win them all but it's slightly salted, like those peanuts you find at the grocers. Marine here seem to mean more like what imagery the sea gives people and not what it smells like. Distilled down to my two words: fruity green.

Thundra by Profumum

Mint, my arch nemesis. Here Mr. Mint dresses the part of the Ms. Patchouli giving a very weird illusion of Sir Lavender. Very odd creature this is.

Classic 1920 by Bois 1920

Sweet and spicy citrus. A little herbal. Feel somewhat weak, probably why they made an "Extreme" version. I smell this and think "man, I really miss my Tommy Hilfiger Cologne". Not that it smells the same or gives the same effect, it's that same fruity sweet and woody quality just that 1920 ups the bergamot opening. For $20, I can get the same effect from some Tommy and still have money leftover for dinner... Classic 1920 is not terrible, just funny how money gets in the way of liking something enough to get and appreciate sometimes.

Red Vetyver by Montale

I, too, feel this is a much much richer version of Terre d'Hermes with a really strong but not too grassy vetiver base. Very linear and very potent to boot. I've been giving the Montale line a fair shake but most don't seem to impress me. It seems like the perfumes are trying too hard to be unique but seem like posers with an attitude. That said, it doesn't mean I don't like this. I feel that it's a good, niche alternative to other bitter orange peel and earthy vetiver accord fragrances.

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

This is the sweet iris for the young woman. The cardamom and pepper gives an interesting spicy twist, and the tea note is drying, so this is not the usual fruity floral. The cedar is present but not pronounced.
    I like the idea of bluebell in a fragrance, but I can't smell it!
    All round a very pleasant fragrance.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

I disagree with everyone who says this smells like dirt - maybe for all of 5 minutes, then after that it is completely gone. If it smelled like dirt it might be good. But it's not.
    It's watered down fake-woodsy-"something".

La Cologne Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Much better than FdM (this doesn't smell of Kouros!).
    Light woody floral musk, very wearable. Good shaving soap, barber shop scent.
    The way andrewthecologneguy has described this, reflecting the bottles, hits the nail on the head.

Ultrared Man by Paco Rabanne

The best LE Ultraviolet flanker yet. It smells like a dessert that I could sink my teeth straight into. I just wish Paco Rabanne would launch it as a permanent, unisex scent.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

At first, I thought this was a very weak fresh, citrus fragrance.
    After spraying it a few times from a sample, I find that Diamonds has a very potent cedar note, with a fizzy bergamot note. I don't get much cocoa!
    Delicious, but not for me.

Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein

More plummy version of Versace Crystal Noir. Much prefer the Versace.
    Neutral because it's not awful.

Dunhill Black by Dunhill

The first thing that struck me about the fragrance was the weight of the cap. It's ridiculously heavy. This is becoming a very strange trend in male fragrance, as if a heavy cap and bottle indicates that something is [B]very masculine[/B].

The notes, according to the box:

Top: Green (nettle) Accord
    Heart: Transparent Jasmine, Lavender
    Base: Sensual Suede Accord

It opens with a very crisp “greenery” note, the ‘nettle’ appears just after spraying and lasts for a few seconds. Cedar is most definitely detectable straight away, a similar cedar seems to be popular among recent releases, such as Diamonds for Men, where the cedar is somehow fizzy.
    Once the nettle gives way, there is a very convincing green tea note, with a gentle citrus in the background, all wrapped inside of a tart herbaceous-greenness.

After about 15 minutes, the green gives way to the Lavender note, which isn’t over the top as in Jean-Paul Gaultier’s Le Male, but instead quite subdued. The lavender transforms into a gentle, slightly dirty, almost animalic Jasmine-leather.

Eventually, the Jasmine disappears and a very soft leather remains as a skin scent. Then, surprisingly, lavender comes back into play with the leather.

The only thing ‘Black’ about this fragrance is the dirty Jasmine. And as it’s so transparent, it’s more grey than black.

Children in Need Hug for Her by Boots

Smells like a watered down Chanel Allure.

kopah's avatar

Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfume

A somewhat green, very bright tea scent with an overdose of zesty citrus that is remarkably long-lived, though bought at the price of smelling synthetic. Not at all dark or smoky like actual Russian Caravan tea.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Cuba by Czech & Speake

A green tobbacco fragrance. Top notes are a blast of mint and citrus with a medicinal after-taste...reminiscent of Halls candy. When the top notes fade into the background, a rich moist unsmoked cigar note comes into play and stays, and stays, and stays...

A very calming, mellow, warm fragrance. Love it!

valentinamaltese's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I hate it. Maybe it's because I smelled it the first time on a pretentious pseudo intellectual little woman, who made stupid remarks about my weight. But I gave it a second tought, smelled it on paper and on myslef and I stil hate it. It's unpleasantly pungent, irritatingly dry in the opening but nauseatingly sticky in the drydown. To me it smells like a pathetic attempt to create something original, dissonating and not commercial, while needig the approval of the marketing director-

Nathan214's avatar

Fiore d'Ambra by Profumum

While Fiore d'Ambra is not a fragrance I would personally wear, I found it restrained and nicely feminine -- nothing wild, experimental or unusual, but anyone lucky enough to lean in close will think you smell intoxicatingly lovely.

Starts off as a powdery soft, pleasantly sweet amber perfume and crosses the finish line as a smooth musk and woods fragrance shrouded in a lightly powdered veil. Wears close to the skin, yet lasts for a long time.

J'Adore by Christian Dior

Lovely and golden-flowered, but a grown up woman's perfume -- serious, sober, and elegant. Great longevity, though it tends to become 'generic expensive floral' after a while. Not my cup of tea, but I do admire it.

212 Sexy by Carolina Herrera

You know what, as glaringly ubsubtle and bourgeois as this is (from the cotton candy overload to the "Sexy" in the actual product name, for crying out loud), this is a fun fragrance. Great for a weekend in Vegas with your girlfriends, or something.

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

Interesting and lively citrus/grapefruit -- indeed 'yellow-green' with a uncomplicated sweetness at its base. Citrus lovers would enjoy it.

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

It's like Carolina Herrera 212 Sexy's cotton candy/floral/fruity sweetness tempered by J'adore's serious white florals. Very pretty effort, but lacking nuance and interest that, for example, set J'adore apart from the rest of its (old-lady-white-floral) field.

Mintea by Masakï Matsushïma

For the money, Guerlain's Herba Fresca is the better mint fragrance.

Manila by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

It does smell like Manila -- but a memory of old Manila. ~Literally~ old, because it smells like that floor wax that people in the Philippines use on floors in old Philippines houses. So basically this smells like the floors in grandma's old house, with a strong dose of chemical-banana on the opening.

But for verisimilitude, it sure got me. Great to have and sniff, or even as a scent for the home, but not as a perfume.

L - L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani

People looking for a modern rose should try this, especially if they liked Stella McCartney Stella. Now, if Stella is the older, cosmopolitan sister in her 20's, L - L.A.M.B. is the more appropriate rose scent for her younger sister -- it's that powdery, soap-y quality in L.A.M.B. that keeps it from having the clarity and bloom of Stella. But all in all it's pretty without being cloying, and would be a more interesting scent choice for a young teen rather than those terrible body sprays they usually wear.

Tokyo by Kenzo

A fresh bright opening, then quickly mellowing into an interesting chemical-spice middle, then a woodsy drydown.

I don't quite understand all the negative reviews of this frag. But although it's hardly groundbreaking, Tokyo is exactly what its advertisement seems to evoke: a modern scent for modern young men who would be better off using something relatively complex yet muted like Tokyo than some other musk-and-vetiver-ridden frag.