Fragrance Reviews from December 2008

Aznavour's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Everything about this is fairly amazing in its depiction of "tropical garden after the rain" -- I grew up with one, so I love it. But the melon just kills, KILLS it.

05th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 28th July, 2009)

surreality's avatar

Axe Dark Temptation / Lynx Dark Temptation by Axe / Lynx

As far as body sprays go Axe Dark Temptation isn't too bad. There is a chocolate note over what seems to be a chypre base. Has decent longevity for a body spray. No bad, not good but better than other comparable products.

Acqua di Giò by Giorgio Armani

I have had this as a present from my aunt. It's just a pleasant "clean" summery fragrance , nothing more, nothing less.

Moon Drops by Revlon

My mother used to have this..It's so feminine! Too bad I can't find it in my country...

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

On me it smells rosy and woodsy, a very clean and feminine smell. I think this fragrance suits very well to women over 40, it's quite mature and classy.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Air freshener....Not sexy at all.

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Whenever I smell this fragrance on people, I feel sick. Maybe it's the worst fragrance I have ever smelled...

Hypnôse by Lancôme

It's a quite pleasant fragrance, but nothing marvelous on me. Just vanilla....Somewhat boring. And it didn't last very long.

rbeurkens's avatar

Unforgivable Multi Platinum by Sean John

An extreme rip-off of Creed's MI..... smells about 92 percent the same. A bit more citrus in the opening, and not as "deep" as MI. I got it for 17 bucks off of ebay tho..... so compared to 100 atleast for the MI this is a steal!!!! I don't find it to be all that similar to the original though. Thumbs way up, but not original at all lol.

Forever by Alfred Sung

This is a lovely light floral, spring or summer scent. Great for when you don't want to offend or stand out too much or when it's way too humid for a stronger frag. On my skin, I can definitely smell the freesia, narcisse and rose; the sandalwood, muget and amber are very faint, even at the beginning. Lasting power is at about 6 hours as can be expected for a typical EDT. I toss my bottle into my purse, for refreshing later. The price is not bad, since you can find this at some discount stores for under $20, per 1.7oz bottle.

Shi by Alfred Sung

Yet another light floral from Sung. I really like the water lilly, orange blossom and fragipani in this. Great for spring and summer.

Splendor by Elizabeth Arden

This frag did not agree with my nose and chemistry. Smelled too much like lily of the valley without much else. Sorry, not for me.

Paradise for Women by Alfred Sung

Just like Sung's FOREVER, this is another lovely light floral, for spring or summer. Nothing in this offends. I can smell the florals, while the sandalwood, musk and vanilla are rather faint. Lasting power is decent at 6 hours, which is decent for an EDT. I toss my bottle into my purse, for refreshing later. You can find this for under $20 for a 1.7 oz bottle at some discount stores.

Red Door Revealed by Elizabeth Arden

Smells like a nice floral bouquet. I can definitely smell violet, jasmine, orchid and amber. I like this version better than the original, which is heavier and more oriental. Lasting power is pretty decent at 10+ hours. Besides that, you can find this frag pretty cheaply at several discount (online and retail) stores.

Trouble by Boucheron

This is definitely a rather strong oriental scent. I would not compare this with any of the Poison versions. Trouble is much more perfumey and remains much sharper, even after several hours. If I want this to work for me, I have to spray it, let it sit for about 30 min and then rinse it off a little with plain warm water. Then, I let it mellow for another 30 min before I face the public. I initially thought it would dry down to a floral vanilla (the way it initially smells on a tissue) , but it doesn't.... On me, the vanilla is almost nonexistent. It's much more musky with a heavy dose of synthetic florals, that last 10+ hours (even after watering it down.) I'll hang on to this for now.... but I know there are better floral orientals out there. Fortunately, I got a 1oz bottle for only $25, so it's not too much of an expenditure. ;)

Sha by Alfred Sung

I have to agree with Tovah's review. Sha is a light lilac-musk frag. Great for spring and summer. Lasting power is 6 hours, which is good for an EDT. I have not seen it in stores in a while, but got mine on eBay.

Blu Notte by Bulgari

This is one of my HG frags!!! Light, fresh and powdery. This can easily go from jeans and a tee to a black dress occasion. I can definitely smell iris and dark (bitter) chocolate in this, but I also get a light baby powder note. Not overly sweet or cloying, just "charming." ;) Lasting power is an impressive 10+ hours.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

This is another one of my HG frags. I wear this on a day where I'm not feeling well and need a pick-me-up. It's light and does not offend my nose. I get the tea notes - slighly herbal in a dried grass/floral way. To me this smells like a blend of dried rose petals and darjeeling tea. Lasting power is only 4-6 hours, but I toss my bottle into my purse for refreshing later. I found this at a discount store for under $20 for a 1.7 oz bottle.

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

This scent reminds me of root beer or cream soda - in a good way. First, I can definitely smell the licorice, patchouli, vanilla and sugar. During dry-down, the licorice and patchouli slowly fade and the anise, sugar and vanilla are more prominent. After about 2 hours, I can only slightly smell the licorice and patchouli, while the sugar, anise and vanilla melt into a light creamy sweetness. This is definitely better than the woman's version - Pink Sugar. (PS is waaaaaay too sickly-sweet for me and might be better suited for a teenage girl.) I'm not sure I would like Blue Sugar on a man, but it's lovely on me. ;)

Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden

This is one of my favorite scents for a "jeans-n-tee" day. Light, creamy, powdery. I actually don't smell much of the fruits in this. Instead I get more of the florals, musk, wood and amber. Lasting power is only 6 hours, which is a bit disappointing for an EDP. (I toss the bottle into my purse to refresh with later.) Fortunately, you can find this frag at several discount (online and retail) stores, for under $30 for a 1.7 oz bottle.

Mediterranean Breeze by Elizabeth Arden

I have to agree with DawnLady's review.... Mediterranean Breeze EDP (in the pink bottle) is a little more fruity and sharper than Mediterranean (in the blue bottle, which I still prefer.) It's a nice scent for a casual spring or summer day. Lasting power is around 6 hours, which is more typical for an EDT than an EDP. That's the only thing I'm disappointed about.

derango1's avatar

Unbound for Men by Halston

Picked up a bottle of this from Amazon.com dirt cheap. Man oh man. I've got to agree with the previous reviewers that this is AdG done correctly. If you like that monstrosity, you'll absolutely love this. It seems to last forever and ever on my skin.

irismissouriensis's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A work of rare quality! Duchaufour has the talent to create dense and compact fragrance that remain beautifully translucent and light. This one is generally warm, dry and earthy whit accords that evoques coniferous trees and spicy resins. Altough the accords are different, i would compare its general texture whit the one of Terre d'Hermes by Elenna.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Perfect scent for a night out. Long lasting, doesn't hide in the shadows, yet doesn't knock you upside the head.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Sprayed some on my wrist while shopping the other day. Although I was already wearing another scent, I kept smelling my wrist. Couldn't get enough of it. Through the evening and into the night I kept bringing my wrist to my nose, intrigued more and more. It has a sort of decaying forest smell, natural and seductive, very earthy (as the name implies). I had to get a bottle. Glad I did.

Canali Men by Canali

Used to like this scent for work, but I lost interest rapidly. Nothing horrible, just not for me anymore. Too much of a water scent.

05th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 24th August, 2010)

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Nothing offensive here, but nothing to knock you back on your heels.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

By the second wear I was hooked. The first time was an sensory (scensory) overload. But, like some things that repel at first, I quickly couldn't wait to try it again. After the drydown, this liquid is is a perfect menage a trois of scents.

ltaraleigh's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

I don't know what I think about LoneStar. Very leathery, smoky, dry, woodsy. Also, stong turpentine scent. Started out nice and cedary but the dry down turned to turpentine on my skin. That said, I think I like it...it's definitely different

Icicle's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Shalimar by Guerlain

One of my favourite scents ever. I still own the EDP version in old bottle - I prefer it to EDT. I love the way it develops to wrap you in a sweet, warm, feminine aura, although it stays close to my skin which I count as a plus too. Very sexy and classic scent with animalistic notes tamed by lots of sweet-but-never-dull vanilla. Definitely a must for fans of oriental and "Guerlinade" frangrances.