Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

JaimeB's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

For once an Allure variation worth the trouble. This is nice and fresh, a little sweeter and more powdery than the earlier versions. It wears well, with decent longevity and sillage. I don't get much leather in this, though.

coastfansocal's avatar

Saks Fifth Avenue for Him by Bond No. 9

This smells ....ok? I put four sprays of this on me and walked around the South Coast Plaza mall after visiting Saks and someone asked me if I was wearing Polo Black. The lady at nordstrom asked me if it was Armani Mania? Don't get me wrong this scent is not bad, but its just...(Shrugs shoulders) ....ok?

If I am going to pay 185 bucks for a cologne, it better make me feel special, unique and be unlike anything else on the market. This smells like another one of your polo's, armani or calvin klein mass marketed fragrances you smell at Sephora or Macys.

Lasting power isnt very good either. I still think the best masculine and spicy fragrance Bond 9 makes is Riverside Drive

h_len's avatar

Israel Israel

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

To me it smells exactly like Dior Homme minus first "masculine" notes, that I like very much. So, to my opinion, Dior Homme is more interesting. I choose Dior.

Strollyourlobster's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

The aesthetic here is very 80's, "more-is-more": the opposite of Jean-Claude Ellena's transparent recent fragrances, which give the impression of a steady murmur. <br>Zino talks circles, talks crazy, talks sexy, talks its way through all the sections of the Times, and then begins to explain occult diagrams from the Hermetic Museum. Zino motions you into a back room, claiming it has a flagon made of Byron's skull, it's a joke in dead earnest. <br>Zino is a beautiful companion for a dark and busy mind, a mad distraction for the already distracted.

scentsitivity's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

So much could go wrong here that doesn’t: it could have been too smoky, too spicy or too sweet. Instead it is nicely blended and balanced with a very pleasant dry down. Warm and sensual. I really love this one! Suitable for both sexes.

scentsitivity's avatar

cK one Electric by Calvin Klein

Lime dominates at first and then aquatic notes chime in. A clean, pleasant, summery scent, but not remarkable. More masculine; I don’t see it as unisex.

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Want something herbal? Want something a bit floral? This is it for you! Aramis can't seem to come out with a bad scent. 900 is only second to JHL.

Sandalwood by Art of Shaving

Caution: This one is not for faint of heart. You have come to the right scent if you want the notes named fragrances to be so true to the notes that even a 4 year old kid could tell what it is. The scent has a sharp medicinal initial burst that could throw you back, but it does tone down after a few minutes. Sandal is prominent in the top, in the middle and the base notes! That alone makes it a must try for any sandalwood lovers!

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Chinatown is unique. Chinatown is weird. Chinatown is powdery/fruity/pungent/sweet all rolled in one. Chinatown is GOOD STUFF! One of the very few unique scents from this house. For dishing out over $200 for a bottle, the very first thing I look for is the uniqueness of smell- and this fits the bill perfectly.

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

This is a good fresh scent but nothing unique. It might not be a complete copy of Creed Original Vetiver, but does resemble it somewhat. If you want to get it for the snob factor, then go for it. Otherwise Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme smells just like this (a tad bit stronger than Bleeker Street- which is a good thing), and lasts longer too.

fudull's avatar

Albania Albania

Angel by Thierry Mugler

It is sweet and unmistakable. Its power and mystique rely heavily on its gourmand distinctiveness. I would get it for my girlfriend, but I have A-Men for myself, and I must admit that the two are quite similar.

I don't know if it is an instant classic, but a woman wearing it will never want for attention.

bsn's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

In my opinion, this is the best of all the Allure variations to date. It is a shame that this is a limited edition, If Chanel made this a regular offering, it would probably sell very well. I have only owned Edition Blanche for about two weeks, and I have already received compliments when I wearing it. EB starts off a bit of citrus and then presents a nice variation on the original. If you like any of the other Allure variations, I think you will love this one. Give it a try, but hurry.

JohnDont's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

i bought this one today, it's very summer, very me.
    i like it 5 stars from me

HDS1963's avatar

Coriolan by Guerlain

Oh, this is one of my favourite fragrances. The very first second I smelt this I knew we were going to get on very well.

It is an etherial scent which has a similar ability to befuddle the nose as Heritage. With Heritage if you spray it onto the back of the hand and wait say, an hour, it does something very unusual. If you smell it from two or three inches, it smells completely different to smelling your skin directly, projecting notes into an aura around you which at close examination are lost.

So is it with Coriolan. As with most Guerlains the progression from top to basenotes is smoother than honey down velvet. It's sweet too, but not cloyingly so - yet women can and do wear this well.

The mid range mix of juniper and spices is delicious and perfect for a warm day, but it's the blend of Oakmoss, Patchouli and Everlasting Flower which is it's party piece. The Everlasting Flower floats above the skin supported by the best notes of Patchouli, the sweet warmth rather than the oily heavyness, underneath which the Oakmoss adds a delicious breadth.

This is never going to win awards for sillage. You should avoid this if you want to walk into a room and have everyone notice you.

But, if you want to exude an air of quiet confidence; if you want women to want to smell you because they just caught the faintest whiff of something sooo subtle but wonderful then wear this.

This is not a fragrance for men who have to try too hard. It is not for angry young men.

It is for men.

It is being relaunched by Guerlain as L'Ame D'Un Heros (The Soul Of A Hero) and that's a pretty good title really. Understated strength and charisma.

Oh and if you can get the original in the original bottle, do so, it's a classic!

jenson's avatar

India India

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

its half brother of body kouros...with the woody aspect toned down a lil bit..you would find the same linear smell of body kouros along with the tea (wow) and lil bit of brand new rubber tyre, although its (rubber note) quite subdued. great scent if you are lazin around in house when its rainin crazy outside or when you are smoking or with friends...quite personal kinds..makes you dwell on things and takes you back in the memory lane..quite personal kinds...love it.

02nd April, 2008 (Last Edited: 15th April, 2008)

Bellodgia by Caron

As a BPAL fanatic, the first thing I thought of when I smelled this fragrance was "ALICE!", with its carnation and sweet milky notes. I actually like Bellodia better. It opens very crisp, like carnations fresh out of the florist fridge, but dries out powdery and creamy soft. It feels innocent, in the way that a Victorian woman who has birthed 7 babies is innocent.

Nocturnes by Caron

I have fallen in love with this perfume. I find it perfect for spring and summer when I want to feel fresh and green. It opens with a sparkling green and dries down to a powdery earthiness, not too sweet, not too "dirty", like vetiver can do on me sometimes. DH says he loves this frag b/c it does not smell like anything else. I think it departs a bit from the Caron "feel", but a favorite of mine nonetheless!

Aimez-Moi by Caron

I wanted to love this. 'No reason for me not to with every single one of the notes being ones close to my olfactory heart. I thought it was my holy grail and almost bought it blind. BUT... if there were such a thing as violet gummy bears, this would be it. I simply cannot wear it. It's a thick, sweet, sticky, artificial smelling mess on me. I am so sad!

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

I love Y. It is walking on a woodland path and finding a section lined in honeysuckle. There is a freshness in the air, a stickyness in the humidity, and a heat that brings up the tanginess of the earth and woods. Brilliant.

Bellodgia by Caron

Nocturnes by Caron

Aimez-Moi by Caron

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Mostapha's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Try this a few times. It took me three trials to understand Terre d'Hermes, but once I did it jumped right to my top 5. Dominant note on my skin is grapefruit. Insanely masculine, original and classy. I haven't smelled anything that is similar. Projection is extremely strong, longevity is absurd. It could easily last (and project) for more than 24 hours. 5/5.

Mostapha's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

I'm addicted to Double Black, and will purchase it again every time my bottle is finished. I have it for a few months now and I didn't get bored of it for a second. The initial blast (pepper, mango) is exceptional and the dry down is to die for. Smells natural and comforting all the way. Last for a good 12+ hours on my skin, and the sillage is 3/5.

GMF's avatar

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Don't be misled by people who say this fragrance smells like pine oil cleaning products. Nothing could be further from the truth. Pine is only one note in this complex and very masculine scent. It reminds me of how my uncles and cousins would smell when I was a child and they would come in from a long day of clearing land, which included lots of close work with various evergreen trees, cutting them down, pruning them, etc. Their clothes and skin would get the juices from these trees on them and by the end of the day, that scent coupled with the natural smell of hard work, was intoxicating. Pino Silvestre captures that scent perfectly. It's one of the ultimate "outdoors" mens fragrances that actually delivers the goods.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

The most “comme il faut” scent I know. It’s very polite and intellectual, if I may say so.
    I see this one as a wonderful musk “framed” with tea notes.
    If you have to meet your future father-in-law and you have Bvlgari pour Homme in your collection, there is no need for a long consideration what to wear.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

This is one of my favorite fragrances and certainly my favorite unisex fragrance.
    Eau d’Hermes, on my skin, has two very different faces. Sometimes it is dr Jekyll (a delighted unisex scent) and sometimes it is mr Hyde (a gloomy male scent). Happily, more often it’s dr Jekyll.
    Pretty often my office gets the smell of a scent I’m wearing that day. Several days ago I was wearing Eau d’Hermes. During the day I had to leave the office and I was absent for about 10 minutes. When I returned the office smelt so good. Then I was sure: I love this scent.
    I didn’t get any compliments for this one, but I have one very simple maxim: my pleasure is beyond compare more important than a pleasure of the people around me;-)
    Definitely, the soul of this fragrance is cumin.
    Animal? I don’t know… if you say so.

02nd April, 2008 (Last Edited: 13th June, 2008)

Pecota's avatar

Preferred Stock by Coty

It may just be my body chemistry, but this reminds me of candle wax, nothing more and nothing less. I love some of Coty's other stuff, like Gravity and Aspen, but this is just a poor offering.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Vetiver by Guerlain

I'm still a bit new to the world of fragrance and this is my first review, so bear with me. Passed by the Guerlain section of Dillards and saw Vetiver and just HAD to try it after all I've heard from all the bn-ers. I got a spritz on the wrist and the moment I put it up to my nose to inhale I was transported back to my childhood. "THIS IS BABY COLOGNE" I told the SA, she just looked at me with a confused expression. (My mom used to get baby cologne from Spain, actually had a similar experience when I smelled "agua de sevilla" in Seville, Spain a few years back). This frag. was a trip down memory lane, going to buy a bottle soon!