Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Halston Z-14 by Halston

In find it a bit dated but as it has become a classic you must have it in your wardrobe!

argus wishingwell's avatar

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

i like the opening, very fresh and perfect for the summer. but it's just an opening. in 30 minutes it disappears entirely from my skin. i can't believe!

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

Harsher version of Vettiveru on me. I'm surprised it is registered as 'feminine'. Stays all day though and sillage is good -- doesn't soften at all -- also very sexy imo. Cute bottle.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Oh dear -- big recoil from the card. Generic awfulness.

Cittá di Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella

Quite weak throughout all it's stages -- lovely top notes though. It then becomes ephemeral and after 2-3 hours, a barely discernible soft peach. I don't want or should need to re-apply at this price. Actually found a lot of the range disappointing after all the hype heaped. Melograno was nice though (but will it last?)

Lady from Philadelphia's avatar

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

A big, beautiful fragrance. I tried this once on the advice of an opera-singer friend, and just had to laugh--it was such a mismatch, I felt I was walking around all day in costume. This requires a bold personality and serious decolletage. Hard to find, but worth seeking out, if you are a diva.

mgrz's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

bought a 1oz. bottle from Saks for my wife for Christmas '07...found myself constantly sneaking sniffs of the uncapped sprayer and trying it on myself (I had found out Creed was marketing this as unisex). Something definitely addictive here! Can't smell it on myself after an hour though...1 oz lasted approx. 90 days...I started looking online to see if I could avoid retail for a 4oz...found it at Perfume Loop for $105! Half off! (has anyone else used them?) First thing I noticed was it had a black sprayer instead of silver.... Everything else was the same...was it fake?? Of course I thought I detected a diference, and I still smell the empty 1oz. sprayer...but anyway, nothing else has held my attention as this has....definite metallic/ink note in there, giving it it's uniqueness...can't NOT put this on! I've since added the body/hair wash to it! Wish the scent lasted longer.

07 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2012)

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Any special about this one? I feel nothing. As well as Armani Attitude, I just fine them boring.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Unbelievable YSL can lauch such an average scent like this! Despite the luxurious and artisttic bottle, L'Homme scent lacks of the most important thing: Diffirence.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

What a wonderful elegent and modern scent! Though London has a not-so-good longervity, it's till worth to have in your romantique wear collection. Also, I find it and Dior homme very similar. Do you think so?

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The Dreamer by Versace

I took notice of The Dreamer here at Basenotes, I smelled it several times, and I bougt it for DH when I found it at a very good price. And, yes, I am very glad I did! This is my favourite evening scent on him!

I can imagin to wear it mysef, as it is smooth, even if it is strong. A very interesting frag! I hope it will become a classic!

omniray's avatar

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

a nice fruity-spicy base mixed by an semi aquatic woody combo make this fragance very versatile, comfortable and manly... one of new favs releases in this date. Longevity and sillage more than ok, no problem !

Zerby's avatar

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

I'll say this. They should bring this back in production. It's too good to get rid of. Almost like Safari.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

I'm a woman, and I really like this one on a man. It's well balanced with a sexy edge, but doesn't try too hard. Good for sophisticated men 30+. Love the bottle.

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 October, 2010)

baubo's avatar

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

I had a fragrance blotter of this on my bedside table, for days (or nights) I caught neroli with a subtle but distinct leather note. It charmed and intrigued to the extent I must try it on my skin.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

This is very light (read weak) and it is a tiny bit similar to Dunhill Pursuit. I need to spend more time with it, but it isn't something I would rush out to buy. Manly, light and musky.

Trussardi by Trussardi

Fragrance notes: orange blossom, rose, sandalwood, patchouli.
    This is classified as a woman's scent, but in my ignorance I purchased a bottle at a discount store. The very cool white flask evoked a Jay Gatsby vibe. And in the end, I don't regret the purchase. After all, the two reviews so far are from a male perspective. This is an interesting scent. It only has a few elements in common with Trussardi Uomo and in my opinion is only somewhat like it. Trussardi White (as I call it) has a sharp, tangy, antiseptic-medicinal note that appeals to me once in a while. A peppery spice, a rubbery tang, a perky-edgy note... whatever it is, it is oddly compelling. The mood is somewhat like Arlington, another perky-aromatic scent. The rose and neroli soften it a bit but not too much. Probably here we see the distinctive rendition of cedarwood and patchouli. It has good longevity. Smokey, a bit sweet (but not excessive), at times creamy and subtle and at other times sharp. Perhaps it is an acquired taste, but I appreciate it more with each wearing.

Skye by Geo F Trumper

I don't see this as being at all in the solid, trademark Victorian style of Geo. F. Trumper. It seems like an accomodation, and a rather pallid one, to currently-modern tastes for synthetic/marine/fresh scents. I don't care for it. A rare disappointment from the excellent House of Trumper.

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

Trussardi Uomo is big, spicy, complex, and dark. A spicy-leathery 80’s warhorse, though more refined and classy than scents like Azzaro or Aramis. It is rich and it certainly has the potential to be heavy if not applied lightly. The drydown is a bit powdery and sweet, but it has a lovely spicy and venerable quality. Not my cup of tea, but I respect it.

Lavender Water by Geo F Trumper

A bracing blast of lavender and mint! I find this to be very good lavender: dry and aromatic. The scent develops well into a nice sandalwood, light patchouli and mossy base. This has the trademark Geo. F. style. It is quietly bold and assertive; masculine, aromatic and quite enjoyable.

Eau de Quinine by Geo F Trumper

revised review -- please replace previous

Notes: rosemary, herbs and bitters, bergamot, quinine
    The scent starts off in an interesting way. It is different from most scents which I’ve encountered, and it is cool and bracing. Very quickly however a sweetish and very powdery note appears. Baby powder in a plastic canister. I’d like to see more of the alleged herbs and bitters, more of the tonic notes of rosemary and quinine, and NONE of that wretched powder!

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 August, 2010)

1445 by Castle Forbes

Top: petitgrain, lemon
    Mid: tarragon, lavender
    Base: vetiver, clove, patchouli
    I was expecting an interesting chypre. All I found was a very citrusy dry opening. and an unpleasantly heavy patchouli-clove drydown.

Keig by Castle Forbes

Top: lemon, lime, mandarin
    Mid: sandalwood, cedarwood
    Base: musk, amber
    Unappealing. Not much citrus or wood. An odd pongy scent.

Forbes of Forbes by Castle Forbes

Top: orange, mandarin
    Mid: basil, oakmoss, pine
    Base: clove, patchouli, amber, vanilla
    I like forest, pine, herbal and mossy scents... they are my favorite elements. I didn't find this to be any of those. Quite a tepid opening, and an excruciatingly bad dry-down of amber and vanilla. Yuck.

Royal Green by Seve Ballesteros

Fragrance notes: citrus, lavender, wood, spices.
    The fragrance notes suggest exactly what is here: this is a simple, light, refreshing scent. There are green notes which are herbal, grassy, perhaps with a bit of mint or rosemary for freshness. Like morning sun on a dewy putting green -- HAH! Nothing profound or complex here, didn't expect that. It smells like a competent, pleasant, budget green scent. For collectors of green scents, but don't bust your "balls" to get it. A lot like Greenergy. A bit of sweetness, perhaps from a touch of patchouli.

melancholic-botanist's avatar

Poland Poland

Purplelight by Salvador Dali

Beautiful, light, greenish scent of dewy white lilies and the scented Solomon's seal (Polygonatum odoratum).

HDS1963's avatar

Castile by Penhaligon's

OMG, I cannot believe what some of the reviews here have said.

This is a spectacular fragrance. The neroli opening is a magnificent opening to an orange blossom heart. Quite simply this is a lovely floral yet curiously masculine scent.

This is like many great masculine scents, effortlessly so. This projects the levels of refinement you would expect of Heritage yet with a much fresher, livelier feel. It is what Chanel Monsieur would aspire to. This is a fresh citrussy (but not lemony) fragrance that has both longevity and sillage for a long time.

I disagree also that there are no crisp notes here, yes there are! (Although I accept that is going to depend on skin type.)

Creed lovers should take time out to consider this. It is a classic, elegant, fresh and articulate fragrance that any man who considers himself knowledgeable about fragrance should have as a de rigeur purchase.

This is the purchase that the real man should consider when faced with a choice between Blenheim Bouquet and Endymion. I would buy this every time. It carries more class, more elegance and more savoir faire than either of them.

Highly rated? You bet!

lookingglass's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I thought I was going to love this. I am all over musk and many heavy hitting fragrances, but this fragrance seemed like a ruined mess to me. I have a general aversion to top notes, especially citrus, and this dearie blasted them out. The sweetness was cloying...it actually stuck in my throat! The muskiness, from the woods and tonka combines, fell a little flat, and seemed a bit nutty,which was not pleasant, reminding me of old, cheap shoes. Their bite got lost in the citrus for me, which seemed to sour on both me and DH.

If you want a dark, sweet musk with no "modern" topnotes, please try BPAL's Snake Oil, MKK, or even, and yes I dare to say it, Coty Wild Musk.

This does not at all live up to the hype. I passed my sample on.

lookingglass's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This does not at all live up to the hype. I passed my sample on.

SirSlarty's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Very strong and very classic scent but way to strong for this young'un.

The opening takes me aback as it's shockingly strong. Maybe it's my American nose trying to get my head around a French fragrance. This is nothing but a powdery lavender, I'd rather go with Endymion by Penhaligon's for that. I don't detect much anything else.