Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

mariannetm's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

To my nose Terre D'Hermes and Eau Des Merveilles also smell very similar.
    I like it but don't love it. Would like to buy it for those not so special days but then maybe not.

Loewe's avatar

Austria Austria

Chloé (new) by Chloé

Bought it for my Grandma. Think it is a, powdery, different, juvenile yet mature scent.
    It is also quite fresh.
    Never smelt something like it, must be the Fresia.

Like it. But not for younger generations

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

I didn’t know that someone could have, at the same time, a headache, nausea and dizziness… then I smelled Kenzo Jungle. Fortunately, I felt that way just the first time I smelled it.
    Kenzo Jungle is one of the most aromatic scent I know. It’s very “colorful” and “joyous”. Maybe, a good choice for Oktoberfest or some rock concert.
    It’s quite original (in the long run, all Kenzo’s scents before Tokyo are original).
    I wear Jungle mostly with some conspicuous clothes. It goes along very well with my gaudy orange sweater.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Versace l'Homme by Versace

Armani and Versace launched their first male scents in the same year (1984.). I like Versace’s scent much, much more.
    If the ‘80s could have a smell, they would smell exactly like Versace L’Homme. It smells just like sunny Saturday’s forenoon in the ‘80s to me.
    It is not just the first but the best Versace’s male scent as well. L’Homme is a very good and manful blend of lemon, pimento, cedar, patchouli and leather.
    For me, this scent is a synonym for the happy days of my childhood (I’m pretty nostalgic about my childhood) and I wear it very often at the family reunions.

Bigsly's avatar

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

It's somewhat like a powdery version of Montana Red Box. The strong geranium/lavender and generic base make this one smell like a bunch of others though it retains a bit of distinction. I have really come to dislike these fragrances, so I have to change my review to neutral because I think it is a decent fragrance of its kind, but I think a lot of guys would also not even think of wearing this one, for one reason or another. As someone else said, if you want an older "power frag," Z-14 would be a better choice, and probably a lot cheaper (it doesn't have that really common lavender/geranium blast). I think Luca Turin said that this one is for the guy who wants to think he is like Burt Reynolds in the famous bearskin rug photograph (from the late 1970s, I think). That's a good visual representation for this fragrance, be forewarned! LOL.

Old "newbie" review: It started off like Montana (red box) or Witness, except with florals, then developed into something very similar to KL Homme (Lagerfeld). If you're in the mood for this, it's great, if not, it's too much. Excellent longevity, at least decent sillage. This is a love it or hate it, and the ozonic/aquatic guys are likely to be the ones to hate it. It's an excellent frag (some might find it too feminine, so if you want super-masculine stuff, this is not it), so I have to give it a positive.

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 August, 2009)

Katrinket's avatar

Cabotine by Grès

Finally, a floral I can love! Finally, a daytime scent I can add to my wardrobe! I usually shy away from florals, but not this one. When I first smelled it, I though, "nice, but not quite my thing..." But it grows on you. It's got enough complexity to keep you interested. Others have said it's all one note, all ginger lily. I have never smelled an actual ginger lily, but I would never have labeled it soliflore. Especially in the beginning, I get a lot more green notes. Not a woody scent, but like a flower you'd expect to find covered in raindops in cool, lush forest. Later, more soliflore perhaps. Long lasting. Loving it.

argus wishingwell's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

it smells like fruity talk powder and that makes me soothe. i have worn it for approx. 2 years and not a single one of my girlfriends asked about it. i waited for a response like "what's this frag?" "hmm bad" or "hmm nice"... nothing. i dont wear cologne for gaining attention but it's an issue i think. low sillage...

Jemimagold's avatar

Jolie Madame by Pierre Balmain

I found Jolie Madame's strong oakmoss-chypre-leather top note off putting and thought here we go again, another Bandit or Chypre de Coty tiger. After an hour it calmed down and I could detect the famous "violet notes" but Jolie Madame is not something that I personally would ever want to wear.

Jolie Madame was created in 1953. While sniffing it, I got to thinking that no wonder the 1960’s and 1970’s came along and there was such a dramatic sea change in fashion, style and tastes from that of the 1950’s. Give me a snappy Eau de Courreges or Calandre any day. Rive Gauche would also fit the bill for something sophisticated yet wearable. Jolie Madame just seems old-fashioned, fussy and annoyingly “proper”. I just have to wonder, did women back in 1953 really want to smell like this?

Jemimagold's avatar

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

I was very disappointed with the Hamptons. I was hoping for an elegant riff on salt air, sea water, beaches, trees and maybe even a produce stand or two. Instead, it smells like a cheap knock-off of Creed's Silver Mountain Water that retails for $19.99 at your local drugstore. Simply put, Hamptons does not have the elegance or lovely drydown that SMW has and I really cannot wait to wash this off my wrist!

Kaern's avatar

Grain de Plaisir by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Beautiful and uplifting opening. A 'moment of pleasure' hardly does justice. The drydown is a bit scratchy compared to the first half-hour, but the benchmark is very, very high here. Almost a masterpiece.

Kaern

bamacharm's avatar

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

I'm not in the same league with you guys when it comes to evaluating fragrances. I have read hundreds and hundreds of your reviews, really appreciate them, and have purchased a lot of those fragrances that you favor. This is one where I went against the flow. I'm no expert, so I'll go with the reactions I get from the opposite sex.

I'm a 53 year-old Department Director who has a decent sized secretarial pool. Those ladies notice what I wear and feel comfortable enough with me to comment on it.

They like the Bulgari Pour Homme, the Chanel Platinum Egoiste, the Burberry Touch, the D&G, Boucheron Homme, Issey Miyake, Hanae Mori, etc. However, everyone of them swoons when I wear Euphoria. They love it and even request that I wear it again after I've gone a few days wearing other fragrances. I love the fragrance too. I think it's the suede that I and they like. Out of all the many colognes I have, this is my favorite and gets the best reaction - from Southern girls anyway. I don't know. Maybe we aren't as sophisticated and don't know any better.

You guys are the experts but there is one thing this rank amateur would like to take issue with you on. I've read so many of your comments that this cologne or that isn't strong enough or doesn't stay with you long. I think it depends on what you're definition of "staying" is. There are a lot of people out there who get physically ill at the smell of fragrances. Plus, many, many women have told me that they don't want to be blown over with a fragrance. It should be a subtle, suggestive hint. Otherwise, your fragrance no matter what it is can be a turn off. This past weekend, I purchased D&G Light Blue Pour Homme and applied 2 squirts before attending church. I was convinced an hour later that there was no trace of it remaining. Seven hours later, I was hugged by a lady and, to my surprise, she commented that my cologne was fantastic. Eight hours after applying Euphoria (just 2 squirts), I've had ladies ask me what that wonderful fragrance is. I couldn't smell it but they still could.

I guess my point is that perhaps many of these fragrances have a lot more staying power than that for which they are credited. I admit, my experiences have been the "up close and personal" variety. The question is do you want your fragrance to "reach out and touch" EVERYONE or primarily those who get close to you? I prefer the latter. My rule of thumb is if I can still smell myself after a few hours, the cologne is too strong and/or I applied too much.

Can any of you suggest other fragrances with creamy suede as a basenote?

Mazzolari Mazzolari by Mazzolari

Fragrance notes, citrus and green notes (probably galbanum and clary sage), spices (perhaps some combination of cloves, nutmeg, coriander and black pepper), vetiver, sandalwood. I also am convinced that there is oakmoss and patchouli here.

The juice is quite golden in colour. The opening is somewhat green, very peppery, and fairly powerful. It is old-school in a powerful, assertive way. Perhaps we see a hint of rosemary or mint, but I find no coniferous notes here. A bittersweet, tangy, dusky note emerges and takes over. Leafy, hay-like, even a bit sour or brackish. Rather brusque in character. I have downgraded and revised my earlier review. I find this (a) not as green as I'd like and (b) somewhat tiresome and leathery (in a mossy/patchouli way). Not quite my cup of tea, despite its greenish aspects.

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2011)

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

This is a very enjoyable, dryly austere scent. It has hints on incense on a woody framework. There is a good basil-herbal aromatic opening which goes well with the lemon and citrus opening. Wood makes an appearance almost immediately, before the incense. Then there is heady myrrh with chamomile blossom and spicy-green pimento leaf. This is followed by a green, pine-y frankincense with a hint of dry herbal lavender. The wood reappears, mostly sandalwood. The dry-down is cool and airy, it suggests smoke and the old stones of a cathedral. As I said, this is an austere scent, and I appreciate that. It is exotic but not heavy, not the usual rich oriental style. It suits me very well. (revised from my earlier review)
    Update -- dry (very dry), dusty and dusky... yet completely appealing. I really noticed the lavender this time, it combines very well with the frankincense. Nice woody dry-down.

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2013)

tvlampboy's avatar

Sand & Sable by Coty

Soapy, powdery gardenia. Goes on with a sharp edge, but dries down beautifully for a drugstore type frag.

Lots of bang for the buck here -- a definite must-try for fans of White Shoulders, Jungle Gardenia and White Diamonds alike.

tvlampboy's avatar

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

One of the few aquatics I can really say I like. Very fresh, very crisp bergamot here, with a fruity heart and a light musky base. Decent longevity; average sillage.

I won't be going out of my way to snag a bottle, no, but I certainly have to give this frag a thumbs up.

Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon's

This is a very good Lily of the Valley scent: very accurate and pleasing. There is a fleeting citrus opening. The Penhaligon site characterizes this as a “sweet, fresh and graceful floral” with a “creamy white heart.” I can’t improve on that description. The muguet is aided and abetted by a charming jasmine note. The dry-down is charming, the florals persist and are supported by light moss and sandalwood. Yes, this is a floral scent, and it is sweet and lovely. As a man, I wouldn’t normally wear this sort of thing (though I’d enjoy it on a woman). But I just love the scent of Lily of the Valley flowers, so once in a while I might put a little on and have a whiff of spring. Those flowers are so lovely, so brief in their season.

Victorian Posy by Penhaligon's

Victorian Posy is a floral chypre, with a touch of green. It is aromatic, heady and rich; but not cloyingly sweet. It has violets, and pure violet can be sharp, even piercing (in my experience). Here that is softened by jasmine and roses. Amber and patchouli in the drydown give a touch of vanilla and power, with an aromatic pungent note. Everything is in balance, and elegant in an innocently charming sort of way. Evokes a romantic image of English gardens. Feminine, not unisex... something I can appreciate but not wear.

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

It is interesting to read the comments about this scent, it seems that I am experiencing something rather different. I see no similarity to old war-horses like Aramis or Trussardi Uomo. I find the spices to be light rather than deep, the wood to be fresh rather than resinous. I agree that Woods is fresh, clean, even a bit soapy. This is not the woodiest log in the pile, by any stretch of the imagination. It is a pleasant, subtle, mildly rich citrus-spice-wood experience. I enjoy it but don't expect the earth to move when I wear it.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Serge Lutens Arabie. Very exotic, a real Oriental and probably the way perfumes smelled in the ancient world. I was interested to try it for that reason. It is not my style: I’m not a fan of foody scents. Smells like Christmas fruit cake with dried fruit and spices. So I am glad to have sampled it, and out of respect for an interesting venture I give it a neutral rating.

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Penhaligons’ English Fern – what a lovely scent! It has a very bright, crisp opening of lavender and green notes. The clover is a brilliant touch, giving a fresh-field scent. Very quickly that clover combines with a pure light oakmoss for the signature “rubbery” clean scent that is so attractive and desirable in a great fougere, in my opinion. The patchouli is done just right; giving a light spicy richness to the scent. Sandalwood adds a good woody note, and the latter two elements give a wonderful dry-down. This is a true classic. It has a slightly cool and distinctive “edge” that is typical of Penhaligons’ style (see also Duro and Blenheim Bouquet): it is assertive, confident, and masculine. It is more complex than the also very worthy Trumper’s Wild Fern.

Esprit de Lavande by Penhaligon's

Aromatic and dry lavender... obviously. This is a green-herbal lavender scent, and the opening is very good. Lavandula has basil, canella (white cinnamon bark) and black pepper, and since EdL has a spicy-wood aspect perhaps they are here too. Perhaps also clary sage which is a musky green scent. Actually, this becomes more green-herbal and less lavender as it develops. Then oakmoss and musk emerge, with a bit of vanilla. This has a fougere-style ending. Nice, quite old-school. The musky moss dry-down gives it a Victorian aura, charming but a bit dated. And it is discontinued.

Extract of Limes by Penhaligon's

This starts with wonderful green citrus notes. They are brisk, refreshing, and very true to type (lime, lemon). The scent settles into a gorgeous orange blossom scent – a creamy cloud, slightly woody. Acceptable longevity for a citrus scent.

09 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2010)

Racquets Formula by Penhaligon's

Racquets Formula, in my opinion, is both mis-named and mis-classified. “Racquets” suggests a summery-crisp green scent, a sporty tonic to be splashed on after a tennis match at Lords. Penhaligon classifies Racquets as a citrus scent. Having tried it, I would say it is a semi-oriental with minimal citrus. It has rich spices and an equally rich amber/powder backbone. There is only about 5 seconds worth of citrus at the beginning. Those citrus notes are immediately softened and immersed in the florals. Lovely spices and pleasant wood notes are noticeable, in particular the frankincense interacts well with the cedar. It is a complex and lovely scent, with many layers and stages. The dry-down has beautiful moments, as the vetiver mingles with musk and incense. But it still retains a powdery-amber aspect, thus it is a little too rich for my liking.

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Villoresi’s Uomo! This is mind-bogglingly good. It produced an immediate DNA-lock on my system. Do you ever try a scent like that? You try it and say, “that’s exactly right! It is so satisfying, so ME!” Well that is what I’ve found here. There are two phases, each of them is excellent. The first is a very green/citrus tone. Both the top and mid notes have citrus and herbal components, and they are complex, invigorating and very appealing. They meld into phase 2, the base notes of vetiver and sandalwood. At first woody sandalwood appears, and it is dry and exotic. Then superb vetiver concludes the show, aided and abetted by musk and a bit of patchouli. I classify this as a vetiver scent, and I’d say it is one of the best I’ve tried. It captures the spicy-grassy “comfort zone” of well-done vetiver.

Lavandula by Penhaligon's

Lavendula has a peppery initial blast, followed by deep and smoky lavender which is surrounded by lily of the valley. Pretty good so far. Then there is a light vanilla and amber-musk drydown. A nice scent, but in my opinion not compelling. I like a very dry, aromatic lavender... and this isn’t quite that.

Philosykos by Diptyque

the top notes and the base notes are wonderful but the coconut in the heart is too much for my taste
    in the head you get the green and fresh fig (rather the fruit than the leaves) not too milky (compared to l'Artisan's one)
    once the coconut has disappeared Philosykos gives its best: a perfect blend between the woods (cedar) and the fig tree's leaves
    one of the most beautiful fig based fragrances

Oyédo by Diptyque

thyme and mandarine
    simple fresh but a little bit too linear

Tam Dao by Diptyque

a dry fresh clean sandalwood
    a little bit simple and prosaic but of high quality
    does not evolve a lot
    perfect for a young man or for office, as it's not an offensive scent

archaic's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Chrome by Azzaro

Chrome is citrus fresh. But not detergent fresh (Dunhill Fresh). I like Chrome but strangely, I could not wear it everyday. It seems to be a better version of CK One. Better in terms of composition, longevity and sillage. Great for summer and daytime. Casual and office occasion. Longevity is great on my skin (more than 5 hours).

archaic's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I love it. XS represents floral minty fresh and yet can be worn by men. Longevity is great (more than 5 hours). However, I could not detect any woody notes even after 5 hours. Sillage is quite strong and minimal use is required. Only great for office occasion as it does reflect an emotionless stern men with full of confidence.