Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Paul Smith for Men by Paul Smith

Maybe there is something wrong with my nose, but yes it does smell like Fahrenheit...a lot actually, without the 'fuel' or 'motor-oil' thingy as odysseusm pointed out below. There are quite a few notes that make it stand out, for example the dry down is quite different (nice), and I guess this is yet another love it or hate it frag. Noticeably different from the extreme version which has more of a baby powder angle to it, kinda like Bvlgari Blu Notte, but not so babyish. I like this, and I am glad I got it.

My conclusion is this: if you like Fahrenheit but can't do the fuel note, then this is for you, and it is not as strong either.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Boucheron pour Homme Edition Bleue by Boucheron

Boucheron pour Homme Edition Bleue is excellent, much better than the regular version in my opinion. I won it at a perfume shopping night, and am very pleased! It is slightly opulent yet fresh, a citrus and spicy-wood scent and is very classy. The opening is very citrusy, lemony and aromatic. The aromatic notes develop in the middle... some sort of woody spice (perhaps coriander) softened by a light floral note. The patchouli is very restrained and blends with the cedar to give a fresh, slightly dusky wood tone. I like this very much. It settles close to the skin and purrs. Worth checking out, regardless of what you think of the regular BpH.

germanomio's avatar
    germanomio
    France France

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

recently re-issued
    this is a smoky vetiver with a roasted note that reminds me of Hermessence Vetiver-Tonka (with a far greater longevity) mixed with the drydown of Terre d'Hermes
    also very reminescent of Guerlain's Vetiver original formula (the 80's one)
    it doesn't evolve a lot and the vetiver not isn't very pronounced
    the smokiness makes it rather a winter scent

germanomio's avatar
    germanomio
    France France

Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

a gorgeous fragrance
    a complex and perfect blend of woods and benjoin with a hint of vanilla and flowers
    it's sweet but not excessively so that it's suitable for a man
    a scent for winter, near the fire while snow is falling silently outside

Scentologist's avatar
    Scentologist

Amyitis by Mona di Orio

I wanted to like this from the note description but when I had the chance to sample this, my mental predisposition was not spot on. If you try hard, you can detect a hint of green notes in the beginings of this linear scent. The green notes quickly get smothered out by a dominating factor that reminds me of aged wax. Thats right. If you have ever come across a wax candle that has been sitting around for the past decade and has collected a little dust on it, this is what Amyitis smells like. Unfortunately, this note persists from start to finish. I am inclined to blame it on the caroway and the loads of moss. Perhaps the amber gives it a tinge of dustiness. You might also relate Amyitis with the smell of a dirty cashmere musk. I had to wash this off my wrist as it started to make me feel ill. If you want to smell like you are in a wax museum, go for it. Otherwise, stay far away! My rating is 0/10. I just can't find anything positive about it.

bsn's avatar
    bsn

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

A*Men Pure Coffee is a kinder gentler variation of A*Men. A*Men Pure Coffee comes in a eye catching box that sort of mimics a small bag of Coffee. The box has a unique sent spot on it that sort of smells like the actual product, however the sample spot is not quite the same as the fragrance. I would not make purchase decision based on the scent spot affixed to the box, you will need to try this on the skin to perceive the true scent. Inside the box is a 3.4 dark brown rubber flask with a golden anodized star protruding from the flask.

A*Men Pure Coffee starts out with a burnt coffee and chocolate theme, then as time progresses, a slightly toned down version of A*Men emerges. The addition of more coffee notes is pure genius. Just as coffee clears your nose at the perfume counter, the coffee notes do a good job of taking some of the edge off of the A*Men scent. To me, Pure Coffee is smoother and a bit more earthy than the original.

If you loved the original A*Men, you are probably going to love Pure Coffee. If you hated the original A*Men, then you might want to revisit this new offering. The coffee is an interesting twist that helps to smooth and blend the fragrance out just a bit. You might even change your mind.

nova's avatar
    nova

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

It is refinde, spicy and has a nice darleeng tea note
    OH & It lastes more than 10+ on me

10th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2008)

dekdek's avatar
    dekdek

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Boy, if ever a scent put me in a state of calm it's Tam Dao. Not the most multi-layered sandalwood I've worn but, for me, that is the pleasure of it. After the somewhat sharp opening, it settles into a very smooth, buttery sandalwood heart with hints of cedar and a light, smooth amber to round it out. Very tranquil and quiet. Some days just call for this and I think I'll always have a bottle handy.

jathanas's avatar
    jathanas

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I've worn Terre d'Hermes for the last 2 years, mostly during 2007-08.

It was love at first sniff. The top notes of citrus are uniquely implemented, and the progression to an earthy accord accentuated by vetiver is brilliant. Ultimately its popularity might be its downfall. I will always own and respect it even if I don't wear it as often these days.

10th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2009)

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

Bouquet di Violette by Borsari

This is my second favorite pure, true violet, after Serge Lutens Bois de Violet. (I love Apres L'Ondee, but it is in a class of its own...more sweet with the anise...). It is both fresh and green, yet very violety, not too sweet nor too earthy. It is not as complex or deep as the SL, but quite, quite lovely! There are lots of notes listed, but I don't detect them much. There is just enough balance there to keep the violets from getting sour, as they often do on me, that is, if they aren't behaving like bad little gummie bears! I am so sad that this is discontinued! Why, oh why must I fall in love with these unattainables?!

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

Bouquet di Violette by Borsari

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Carrera Emotion by Carrera

Run of the mill fragrance that reminds me of Polo Black if it were spicier. Very low sillage and longevity.

Geekman1118's avatar
    Geekman1118

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I've had my bottle of M7 for a few months now. For my skin, I have to wait 30 minutes after spraying before engaging in any human contact. Personally I dont enjoy the opening notes, but after that it's simply incredible.

It's the only scent i own that got a random female to just come up and sniff my neck and say "you smell really good" to me in a whisper. So basically im always going to keep a bottle in stock.

Unfortunately for me the sprayer on my bottle is broken so i had to remove it. So instead of a mist I get a thick to stream of juice.

I like to spray this on my clothes and in my room as well.

thatsmr2usir's avatar
    thatsmr2usir

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

For me this is an ok scent.. Blue Jeans is much better & more attractive then this.. It is to teenage like and does not say mature! I will give it a 50/50 rating only bcause it is not a bad scent,altho I can definitly do without this concoction!

mannskjit's avatar
    mannskjit
    Norway Norway

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Never, I mean never buy this one without trying it first. This was one of my first blind buys, and man was i disappointed. It smells like that thing u spray in the air in the toilet after you've been there. On top of that its ultra strong!

peevish_yolk's avatar
    peevish_yolk
    Serbia Serbia

Cool Water by Davidoff

The assertion “when you don’t know what to wear – your choice is Cool Water” is absolutely correct and I’m the best example. It’s amazing how fast I almost expended my 75 ml bottle of Cool Water. Maybe it means that I am pretty indecisive.
    Cool Water is a hyper-synthetic scent. One of my female associates is an artificial blonde. She has artificial eyelashes, silicon lips and breasts. Her behavior is a school example for the snobbishness. She said to me one day (I was wearing Cool Water): “Your scent is quite good”. I replied to her: “Oh yes, and it’s as natural as you are”. She didn’t understand, of course.
    What’s the main note here? Maybe, this is the answer…
    It’s usual in this part of the world that people put some lavender in their closets against the moths. When my mother smelt Cool Water on me she said: “If you ever stop using that scent, you should give it to me”. I asked her: “You like it? You want to wear it?”. She said: “Oh no, I’d put it in the closet, it’s very lavender-ish.” Naturally, Cool Water stayed her unfulfilled desire. However, since then, she sometimes ogles my bottle of Cool Water.

Galleddrim's avatar
    Galleddrim

Paradox for Men Green by Jacomo

This is great stuff. Bought it blind, and I don't regret it. Has a nice fresh opening with a subtle woody-musky drydown that sticks around for a while. The citrus is somewhat subdued and fresh rather than sharp, and they are balanced well with the other notes.

I could do with it being a little stronger. I have to spray a few times to get the desired effect, so it's a good thing it's not too expensive.

maverickmage's avatar
    maverickmage

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

TdH is an interesting fragrance. It goes on with a sharp acrid citrus and a single spray goes a long way. I really didn't enjoy the topnotes, but once the smell of grapefruit subdued and the patchouli came out more, the drydown becomes fantastic. The scent lasts forever and a day which is a definite plus. Unfortunately, this fragrance gives me a headache so that I can't bring myself to truly appreciate it.

Jemimagold's avatar
    Jemimagold

Je Reviens by Worth

Before testing Je Reviens, I really had to make myself not negatively prejudge it. The juice (parfum, I believe) I was given to test was, after all, an intense shade of bluish-green reminiscent of crème de menthe and looked quite unappealing. I even wondered if it would stain my skin (it did not, by the way). But, I decided to dab it on and was pleasantly surprised. Je Reviens is a very light scent and I could detect notes of jasmine, bergamot and violet as well as a bit of clean hay, all of which really never changed as the fragrance dried down. Je Reviens reminded me of something a 14 year old girl in Missouri would have worn in the early 1920’s, wearing a starched white eyelet dress and demurely reading in the parlor on a Sunday afternoon. As I kept smelling it, I also thought how glad women back in the 1930’s (Je Reviens was created in 1932) must have been to have such a pleasant, easy-to-wear scent available as an antidote to the more aggressive scents of the time such as Dana’s “Tabu” and Coty’s “Chypre de Coty”.

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

Oh wow, it takes me back... between the musk and the vanilla, can't you just hear, "I Saw the Sign" playing in the background of this frag? Uncomplicated, almost like a drugstore answer to Obsession. Sure, it was under $10 and it's no mystery why, but all the big kids were doing it.

Jontue by Revlon

My mom wore this throughout the seventies and eighties, and somewhere into the mid-ninties, there seemed to be a change in the formula. Something tinny and metallic intruded into the floral mix. The current incarnation of Jontue is not the same as the sunny, comforting, fun fragrance that was "mom" all over. Thumbs up to the previous formula.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This fragrance is absolutely mystifying in it's complexity and it's other-ness. It is playful and feisty in it's sweetness, while also mature and grounded with the weight of the base. In the world of the olfactory, it is a modern work of art, and for me, takes me back to a time of soul-searching, discovery and the pure essence of carpe diem.

Brut by Fabergé

Evokes dad memories a mile away. Scratchy kisses on the cheek and blue jeans all the way. Whenever I smell Brut, however, I can't seperate it from the olfactory memory of it accompanied with the smell of gasoline and motor oil. Not a bad thing, though.

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

This fragrance was absolutely horrid on me. The drydown was remniscent of a brand of aerosol room spray a neighbor kid's mom used during my childhood in the eighties. Headache-inducing floral notes that would just not go away, much like my hyperactive playmate. I kept praying that it might transition to woodsy musk, but the flowers would just not relent. If you're into a long-lasting floral, you are getting your money's worth, but please, don't come over to play at my house.

L by Lolita Lempicka

On me, this fragrance dried down like a desert; no sweetness of fruit or flower, just an off-putting, overpowering woodsy/oriental sweet. Perhaps it was the synthetic-smelling caramel that ruined it for me. It reminded me of that strange chemical that disneyland pumps into the air in the park to get you to purchase sweets. On my friend, however, this frag was bliss. She brought out all of the florals and powdery musk.
    The bottle is a work of art. Hands down, one of the best I've seen.

laurel56's avatar
    laurel56

Carolina by Carolina Herrera

I absolutely love this fragrance! Like others have said, it's fruity but not syrupy, and it has just the right amount of spice.

laurel56's avatar
    laurel56

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

Based on a sample card, I think this fragrance smells like your hair smells after you come back from the salon, with all the fancy products in it. It's a nice smell and reminds me of being pampered, but I don't think I'd wear it. Just not enough of the notes I really love.

krmarich's avatar
    krmarich

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the best mens fragrances of the new millenium! Possibly of all time. Why? The timelessness of the composition: bergamot, lavender, vetiver and patcholi give it notes of classical masculinity, Yes, it does have a clean shaven quality to it that is hard to beat. Then comes a most dramatic drydown that last for hours. There is a voice to it that whispers "come here and talk to me". Almost in a dirty way. Most modern men should have no problem relating with the retro-modern notes presented within. Put it this way, your girlfriend could not get away wearing this.
    Next is the ultra modern bottle/flask that pays a worthy tribute to its female counterpart. It reminds me of how power can be conveyed in perfume. YSL may be retired but his legacy lives on through this trademark scent. I wonder it he approved of the final formula before distribution? I am sure he loves it! I do. Now if it was only marketed in the USA more profusely...

sarifuchs's avatar
    sarifuchs
    Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabia

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

what can i see about this the god of all puerfumes i have purchased and till now nothing really smell like or better then this sexy thing i did try all allure line and manyyyyyy branded purfumes i dont have a word to explain what it did to me. its not a limited edition i have visited chanel webside and there was nothing like this. beside the smell u r waering chanel be proud bors u have to buy one thanks sorry for bad english

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

I'm astounded at the quality of this fragrance, relative to the current prices. Some may indeed feel that it's "over-constructed," but many of these kinds of fragrances keep me interested for many hours. There's a soapy lavender/fougere quality, a spicy one, a mossy one, a floral one, etc., and the dynamism is great, as you might expect. There is a fairly sharp opening, but once that fades the different elements are more balanced. Havana isn't as complex in the drydown, and has a more powdery quality (and it's got tobacco, though not much of a soapy lavender element), but they certainly seem similar at first. The other thing is that it doesn't fit easily into earlier genre classifications, but instead has aspect representative of several (fougere, oriental, leather, chypre), and so some may feel uncomfortable about this. The only thing "missing" is an animalic note (there's also no gourmand element, but they were yet to come), which separates it from other fragrances of the 1980s, such as ones that had strong castoreum notes (Yatagan, KL Homme, One Man Show, etc.). Longevity is excellent, and projection ("sillage") is just right, except for the powerul opening (which can cause olfactory fatigue, especially for newbies).

10th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2011)