Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Bigsly's avatar

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

I'm astounded at the quality of this fragrance, relative to the current prices. Some may indeed feel that it's "over-constructed," but many of these kinds of fragrances keep me interested for many hours. There's a soapy lavender/fougere quality, a spicy one, a mossy one, a floral one, etc., and the dynamism is great, as you might expect. There is a fairly sharp opening, but once that fades the different elements are more balanced. Havana isn't as complex in the drydown, and has a more powdery quality (and it's got tobacco, though not much of a soapy lavender element), but they certainly seem similar at first. The other thing is that it doesn't fit easily into earlier genre classifications, but instead has aspect representative of several (fougere, oriental, leather, chypre), and so some may feel uncomfortable about this. The only thing "missing" is an animalic note (there's also no gourmand element, but they were yet to come), which separates it from other fragrances of the 1980s, such as ones that had strong castoreum notes (Yatagan, KL Homme, One Man Show, etc.). Longevity is excellent, and projection ("sillage") is just right, except for the powerul opening (which can cause olfactory fatigue, especially for newbies).

10th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2011)

ComDiva's avatar

Ambre de Cabochard by Grès

I had high hopes for this - amber and leather! But they took a beautiful, light leather fragrance and pimped it out with hyper-sweet vanilla (I couldn't even find any amber notes under the cotton candy smell). Ambre de Cabochard smells like any of the hundreds of benign, sticky-sweet gourmands making the rounds in department stores and other chain establishments trying to cater to a wider crowd. Gres should have know better.

Indie_Guy's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Tar by Comme des Garçons

I just recently completed my collection of the entire Synthetic Series. While I already was a fan of Skai, Dry Clean and Soda, I'd always mentally partitioned off Tar and Garage as "those other two." Basically I liked the concept behind Tar and Garage, but didn't think either would be wearable. That changed today when I wore Tar for the first time. I sprayed some Tar under my shirt and ran some errands (the sprayers on the Synthetic Series dispense a lot of juice). I was standing in line at the bookstore, and the person in front of me was holding up the line. Some people walked up behind me and I was starting to get self conscious about the Tar. Suddenly I heard the girl tell her boyfriend "Hey, something smells good!" And I eavesdropped as they talked about their favorite perfumes. Not even a "that guy in front of us REEKS" or anything. They seemed to enjoy it--even though I don't think they had any clue as to who or what they were actually smelling.

The think about Tar is that it has an olfactive effect similar to vetiver. It's like a modulation of vetiver into another key. Similar range of facets and textures--dry, arid, earthy, sharp, salty. Different ingredients, similar effect.

In comparison, Garage is similar to Tar, but with the addition of some other notes that make it more of a literal translation of "garage" to Tar's somewhat abstract rendering of "tar." Of the two, I definitely prefer Tar and find it more wearable. As for garage/car/gasoline scents-- Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia beats out Garage handily, in my book. Garage is complex, unusual and smells of all kinds of solvents and vapors, but it also smells strongly of olive juice-- and I've never seen a gearhead sipping a dirty martini while performing an oil change.

It may take a little courage to wear Tar, but it's actually very pleasant in a strange unplaceable way. Everyone with an eccentric side should try it.

JaimeB's avatar

Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

A strange but wonderful combination of mostly woody and spicy notes, with some fruits and nuts thrown in for good measure. The cypress in the top note drives the fruit straight into the woods and spice of the heart note, so it doesn't come off as a fruit-heavy mix. It dries down to an unexpectedly floral-oriental note; quite a nice ride, but one with only moderate sillage. The effect is romantic and enveloping. It feels good to wear it.

11th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2010)

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I am also very impressed by Paris longlivety. And I do like the smell of it very much. I will get a bottle sometines in the future, but today I have Stella Rose Absolute as my rose-fraganse, so I don´t have any need of Paris yet. When Stella Rose Absolute no longer is available, then Paris will move in to my wardrobe! - I do belive Paris will stay in the shops longer than Stella Rose Absolute...

Trouble by Boucheron

I can´t wear this frag, it is such a pitty! It becomes too strong and sweet and cloying on my skin! I wish everyting didn´t turned out sweet on me! I envy all of you who loves this one! I suppose this is a well done frag, so I can´t give it a thumb down. Neutral from me.

Versace by Versace

I find Versace a little bit dissapointing after being very fond of Bright Crystal and Crystal Noir. I usually like Versace´s frags, but I don´t this time. Don´t try just this one by Versace, so you don´t miss a nicer frag, just because of the elegant bottle of this one.

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

Yes, I do like Gucci! It is much better than most new releses. It has it´s own tone, and is not made for the young people, I guess. I can imagin to get this one, but I wait a while, as I do have some classics that aren´t totally different.

11th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2008)

omniray's avatar

Guess Suede by Guess

wonderful sexy fruity aromatic with a creamy base, ... comfortable and easy to wear, you cant go wrong with this...

a lady sure will love it on you,

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This must be the worst fragrance I have ever had the misfortune of smelling and men wear it as if they came off an assembly line. To be stuck on a crowded subway near someone who has on this loud, cloying, nauseating fragrance is an experience that makes the eyes tear. The womens version is almost as bad. Rochas Man, with similar notes, was made SO much better and doesn't make the eyes burn or make you wish to run for fresh air as does Angel. I hear people say "oh it depends on how much you spray and so on. . ." I say you can't make something that smells bad smell good. That's just my humble opinion. Peace to all Angel fans around the world.

Basi Homme by Armand Basi

Such a great fragrance!! Fragrance doesn't get much better than this. I love tis one and am thoroughly enjoying my bottle and when asked what I'm wearing I'm tempted to tell guys it's Hi Karate or British Sterling (lol). I love the fragrance from the top notes to bottom notes and purchased it without smelling based on reviews and normally don't do that but was so pleasantly surprised with it when I opened the bottle. Thank you Armand Basi.

Borsalino by Borsalino

I wore back in the 80s and loved it but I find it very hard to find and it's very expensive. I would certainly wear it again. While I agree that it's not the most unique fragrance, it reminded me somewhat of Sergio Soldano Black which I found harder to find so I wore this at the time. Would definitely wear again but when I look online now it's like 100.00 (USD) a bottle and I'm not really trying to go there. Nice fragrance though.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

This would be my number two least favorite of all time behind Angel for Men. Will never understand it's appeal. Don't care how many fi fi awards it's gotten it just plain stinks imo. I remember several years ago getting a bottle for a gift, opening and smelling what was inside and being so devastated. After finding out what she paid for it I was shocked. I didn't let her know of my unhappiness so as not to hurt her feelings, but you may as well scrape your hand to the inside of a garbage dumpster and apply that to your neck and you'll have the refreshing smell of Michael Kors for free.

11th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 April, 2008)

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

I love this fragrance by Moschino as well as Friends. What I thought was fig I now see is Kumquat. They mix their notes well and the drydown is quite musky and is a wonderful drydown. I am hooked and would recommend this most definitely to others. More of an evening scent to me wherein Friends seems like something to wear with jeans and in the spring and in the summer.

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

I love this fragrance! The notes from the top to the middle are refreshing and the bottom has just enough musk. It is a subtle fragrance which is the only drawback for me but I absolutely love it. It reminds me of walking along the Mediterranean seashore and I would HIGHLY recommend this to friends (or maybe not snce I don't want everyone smelling as good as me!!)

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

Wonderful fragrance from Lucky You. Spicy and oriental and luckily nothing like Dior's Fahreheit or I wouldn't have purchased (can't stand Fahrenheit). Just a beautiful fragrance that if it fits your body chemistry will get you many compliments.

Words's avatar

Oyédo by Diptyque

Sweet sweet citric candy. Such a thick sweetness, go with 2 sprays and you're set for the day. It's funny to see people describe it as lifesaver-like, because that's exactly what comes to mind when Oyedo is first sprayed. Orange lifesaver, indeed. A great scent, but difficult to wear as an everyday-citrus.

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I'll leave the eloquent descriptions of this fragrance to the other reviewers, many of whom have already done a great job describing this little gem.

All you really need to know is that this smells exactly like the inside of an oak dresser drawer. Not everyone's idea of perfume, but it's captured beautifully and I do love it!

tvlampboy's avatar

Quelques Fleurs L'Original by Houbigant

Dense describes it perfectly -- a dense multi-floral from another era altogether. Don't think for a moment, though, that "dense" here implies sodden or heavy. No, this is dense complexity -- the French perfumer's art at its best.

What starts out as tuberose overdose with lily and jasmine galore soon dries down into a green floral delight and then onward into a warm and inviting muskiness.

Very, VERY old school opulence -- not for the faint of heart, nor for the die-hard fan of Tommy Girl and other relentless, watery clone frags. Appropriate for any age if worn with confidence. A must-try for any frag aficionado, too.

tvlampboy's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is what Le Mâle SHOULD have been -- COULD have been, even. Glorious use of neroli, and proof positive that white florals for men can and do work.

I've no doubt that Fleur du Mâle is chock-a-block full of synthetics, and frankly I don't give a crap -- it WORKS. I especially like the sexy use of vanilla here, and (again) can't stop thinking about the clever way in which neroli is used in it, either.

I get tons of compliments when I don this one, and also feel very sexy and confident after having put it on. At the very least, I have to say that everyone should at least try this one once.

odysseusm's avatar

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

I'm probably the wrong person to review this. I dislike foody,vanillan, sweet, ambery scents. Yet a friend gave me this, so I thought I'd give it a try. It has some very interesting top notes which are slightly dry and smokey. Hence the "narguile" (water pipe). Ayala has a very apt description below, when she talks of dry, leathery notes which morph into round, sweet, fatty amber. Plenty of vanilla here. If you like a uber-opulent oriental, try this. It's just not my style. Very persistant, very sweet.

mrblowtorch's avatar

Muschio / Musk by Santa Maria Novella

Ridiculously good. Rich, creamy, musky, evocative... I could go on and on. I could, but that would prevent me from sticking my nose up to my wrist and smelling this some more. You get the picture. Well worth your time and money.

Leontion's avatar

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

I've become more and more interested in fragrances that do not smell conventionally "perfume-y", particularly if they manage to paint an olfactory picture. Wishing to avoid hyperbole, this opens with the sharp vegetal green tang of crushed leaves and softens to a wet rooty violet and perhaps a hint of chilly iris - a true to life floral, perfectly conjuring a midnight walk in a damp spring garden. A little unconventional, but really very pretty and wearable.

Leontion's avatar

Let Me Play The Lion by LesNez

There are a few ambivalent reviews here, however this ranks as the closest I have come to finding anything that might be deemed to be a 'holy grail'. Bone dry, this smells to me of dust, hot coals, incense and seared wood. Whilst sheer, this is one of the few fragrances that lasts a full day on my skin - very tenacious, just as you think you've lost it, you catch the trail again.

Mudassir's avatar

Route du Thé by Barneys New York

This is what Costume National Scent should have been. Just a tad bit light on Amber, and add a bit of fruitiness to give it more character.

Mudassir's avatar

Outrageous! by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I am not sure why is this classified as a women's fragrance on basenotes. It is not overtly feminine by any means. Even Barney's is selling it as a men's fragrance! Now to the fragrance: It smells like a mixture of wet paint and children's cough syrup- atleast for the first couple of hours. Of all the Malle creations, this smells the cheapest. Its one thing not liking the smell. But this one smells CHEAP! Even Coty Aspen might exude more quality than this one! The drydown isn't half as bad, and is a bit reminiscent of Guerlain L'Homme for men. The only reason I would give it a neutral is for trying to create something different and for originality. It fails in every other regard.

fudull's avatar

Albania Albania

Horizon by Guy Laroche

I'm strangely amazed by this hidden gem. Not because it is well-blended or composed of rich ingredients, but because it seems to be surrounded by a unique and brooding, dark aura that I can best describe as "smoky". Of the top notes I get the heavy citrus and the mint but then there is definitely an earthy/herbal aroma that comes in and dominates my sense of smell and lasts for 4 to 5 hours. I think what I pick up the most is the fennel, memories of which go back to my childhood where dried fennel was used as an herb added to the fireplace along with the wood whenever guests would come over in our village house. For such an aromatic herb, fennel is much underused in most fragrance compositions. Though I would classify it as a dark fragrance, I would not limit its usage to overcast days, or stormy nights; in fact I have worn it during early mornings too and found that it mixes nicely with the crisp air.

A thumbs up on the use of distinctive ingredients, which create a truly unique fragrance.

cK one by Calvin Klein

It smells fresh but breaks down to some choking powdery base. i dont like the base note.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

it smells crispy, sharp and strong like some medicated oil. Neither floral nor musky. ...

New West for Him by Aramis

this is a fresh crispy marine scent. i love it when i wore it during my teens. i am looking for this...cant find it in singapore now.