Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

kopah's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

To borrow a phrase from Chandler Burr, it smells quite simply like "ripely-scented" male genitals - a scent that's almost physically arousing. The fidelity to the original is remarkable.

I can't imagine why a woman would ever wear this scent. It seems designed to be worn by men, to attract sex partners in the most primal way possible. And in this regard, it's amazing.

I do agree, though, that the first 20 minutes are overpowered by cumin. It needs that time to settle into its true form.

jones10021's avatar

Chance by Chanel

Got this one for my birthday. I like it, but I'm not in love with it. It's definitely pleasant and mature but maybe a bit too typical for me. I feel like it smells like any other perfume, but better quality. I enjoy the fragrance from 212 for Women and it's cheaper too. Does anyone have that one? I'd like to know what they think.

Lorenzzo88's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Hmm
    august of last year, I was seeking to try le mâle (the original) store a frag store in France, i decided to also try the new fleur du mâle on the other wrist...walked away and i couldn,t stop to smelling my wrist on the way back. I thought that FDM was powdery-neroli-soft-delicate-sexy that and the original; sweetnspicy-cool-soapy-cheap-plastic-o-vanilic-sensual-musky. So it meant in my language that I liked FDM better than le mâle original.
    In the mean time...
    I decided to do the same operation at the airport fragrance shak to make sure what i was going to buy, but there were no more original la mâle testers..too bad!
    Again, I walked away and couldn't stop smelling my wrist in the airplain (but for other reasons). This time,Fleur du mâle felt too sweet, too powdery, to opulently feminine and nauseatingly plastified, in on word: too much!
    still: I give it a thumb up for being so strikingly diffrent and daring for a new release and JPG and kurkidjian for being so innovative... by the way: ladies, don't be scared of the name le Mâle (the male) to try this one out :)

dsb's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I love this scent but as a very fair, blue eyed blonde with freckles (all of you out there with similar coloring will understand), this has NO lasting power for me at all. I will probably go through my bottle in a week, a very expensive week. Lucky are the ones who talk about it's staying power, on me it's about 10 minutes at best. I 'm hoping summer heat will help.

charlie.gund's avatar

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I urge all those who smell a rich old lady to give Youth Dew another chance, with more careful attention. She may be rich, this lady, she may be old (she wasn't always), but she is wiser than you know. The initial shower of assorted spices suggests that she may possibly be benign, even kindly; then, the clove and rose recall the grand passions of her youth; finally--you must pay close attention--the benzoin drifts up from beneath her polished manners like a prophecy (tricky to interpret, undoutedly true). Among my favorites.

charlie.gund's avatar

Cuir / Cuir de Russie by Piver

Griff calls the overwhelming mandarin "metallic"; I'd say it's more blunt and fuzzy, like a skein of polyester yarn wrapped carefully around a ball-peen hammer. The carnation is squashed to a sad pink pulp (some of its clove seeps out, however, in the squashing). The rich or ancient leather-or-wood notes that others have found I can only discover after hours, long polyester-hammer hours, sitting very close to my skin, almost as though it were a postcard sent from the gift shop of the antique sawmill Quarry so beautifully describes. "I wish I were there, too," I say sadly to Quarry; but my nose will not take me there.

This is a good fragrance to have on hand if, for instance, you are staying in Paris in the winter in an apartment with no hot water, where you consequently bathe perhaps not as often as you might like to. Piver's Cuir de Russie is so powerful, so straightforward, and so absurdly durable that you will never walk out of the house feeling unkempt. Not fascinating, perhaps, but certainly presentable.

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

Disgusting. So glad I only bought the 1oz thing from -walmart-. It's trying so hard to be Black from Kenneth Cole but it fails miserably. As with most Liz Claiborne fragrances, I couldn't get into this one try as I may.

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

Disgusting. When I first sprayed it on I thought I'd gotten a bad bottle but then I talked to a friend who worked the counters when this stuff was released and she informed me they sold one bottle in NINE MONTHS. It's not bad if you're just catching a whiff of the stuff...somewhat leather/carnation (not bad). But if you go in for a close whiff...have a trashcan nearby into which you can vomit! Sour, sweaty, reminiscent of pencil shavings from my school days. Wouldn't be caught dead wearing this stuff!

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

Spark has been my scent since I discovered it shortly before Liz discontinued it. Every girlfriend (save for the current one) has loved it on me, strangers love it, I love it, and I'll continue to wear it even if my girlfriend claims it smells like that awful Curve. Wish Liz would bring this stuff back, as do my customers.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

As with most Chanel scents for the men, Allure Homme Sport is perfect in every way! My girlfriend does not ask, but demands that I spray this stuff all over some article of clothing of mine for her sniffing pleasure anytime we're going to be apart. It's clean, yet seductive: in short, it's everything a cologne should be and I never even blink when buying a large bottle of this stuff because it will never, ever, go out of style.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

This is the first "Liz" fragrance I've actually liked since Spark. It's a bit dirty, a bit mysterious, and I love it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the amber-musk note that I detect if I dont wash it off before going to bed. Great stuff, love wearing it while at work, but I'm not sure I'd buy it for myself. This is not one for the boys.

Bethina's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Eden by Cacharel

Eden has been my day-by-day fragrance since I've discovered it in 1998.
    I was that kind of person that has been looking for the "right" fragrance for a long time...
    Don't ask me why, but I just can't find another fragrance to substitute it.
    And I've been trying... belive me...
    The last try was Enigma by Alexandra de Markoff... I can't stand it...
    And another try was Fracas... I can't stand it also...

For me, Eden has something to do with magnetism, power...
    In fact, using it for so long, I can't feel its fragrance as the day passes, but there's always someone to say something about how good I smell...
    Today a girl in the gym said "Your smell.... is soooo good... you are always smelling like that...". Of course, she wants to know the name of my parfum... and I've told her... because I really like her.... but in other situations.... many.... when people ask me, I lye... because I believe that Eden must be an exclusive fragrance... it is so special...

Reading what others said about Eden, I believe that maybe it depends on something about skin... or your skin reacts to it or not!!

For those who have it and won't use it, send me an email... we can negotiate... because I don't believe I will find another fragrance to replace it so soon!

awakened2dreams's avatar

Very Sexy for Her by Victoria's Secret

I have had more compliments on this perfume than any other and I only started wearing this fragrance about 6 weeks ago!

People don't usually say anything about someone's perfume from my experience, let alone strangers coming up and complimenting throughout day to day activities. But with Very Sexy, it's been happening to me and the funny thing is that it's mainly men telling me how wonderful I smell:)

I love all the notes. Top notes are the best and packs the most spicyness with the pepper, the Middle notes could be called a bit flowery but to me it's soft and earthy and the Low notes melt into your skin with a slight muskyness. Personally, I would not call this a floral oriental but a spicy oriental. It is not a overpowering scent but one that people like to get closer to you.

I cannot smell it after a few hours of wearing it but thats when people have commented on how good I smell. Go figure!

Very Sexy for Her is super yummy and I hope they never stop making it!

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Blue Jeans by Versace

I love,love, LOVE THIS STUFF! This fragrance is different from most. It has an unusual smell that's somewhat straight in your face! However it is beautifully did IMO! It last a great deal on my skin, & for the money you can't go wrong here... It is very much so a jeans and t-shirt fragrance & I think it can be worn all year around, but in the summer time there is no need to drench yourself in it because this is strong stuff and you will get noticed! My favorite scent from the house of Versace!

11th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 April, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

Aomassi by Parfumerie Generale starts like a beautiful dessert, with delicious caramel, nut and vanilla scents. If you like sweet foody scents you’ll love this. It then develops a tangy aspect from aromatic vetiver and a bit of wood, as well as a dried-grass smoky aspect. This is a complex scent, with the tangy and sweet elements alternating. Ultimately the sweet wins. The promised resins and woods are under-developed in my opinion. This is a lovely scent. But it is of no interest to me to wear, it is not my style.

11th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2012)

pluran's avatar

New York by Nicolaï

If you took some of the best parts of the classic Guerlains such as pre-2005 Mitsouko, pre-1996 Habit Rouge, and vintage Vol de Nuit; amplified the virility by hardening it up with spices off a welder’s rod, kept them lively with citrus and the right amount of dry herbs, balanced the clean woods and resinous amber to a frequency that resonated within a semi-sweet, gingerbread-like mysterious powdery core, then blended it all to perfection and provided enough contrast to keep it glowing until the end, you’d end up with something a lot like New York. It’s a spicy oriental with enough of the intelligence of chypre that makes for something cool-calm-collected-pensive-cerebral-agile-evocative-charming and intensely wearable. Like so many great fragrances, it benefits greatly from the animalic castoreum that gives it a fleshy warmth and a smooth, velvety, oozing from the pores feel. The construction is flawless and the drydown is relatively cool, never heavy or flat, with “complexity, heft, and the captivating, charming, mesmeric, persistent quiddity of the basenote accord.” Like Patou pour Homme and other greats, “it has an equivalent olfactory viscosity and density, as well as a deftness of touch and the genius of compositional balance to offset any heaviness”. It puts out solid redolent output for the ten to twelve hour duration, and while the sillage is always perceptible it never becomes annoying even if it might not be the right fragrance for you on that day. It’s one of the best ever made, and it’s one of the few that manages to keep my interest over time. It has the same kind of vibe as Chanel Pour Monsieur but New York far more spicy, oriental, and in general performs a lot better and gives more satisfaction. Both smell great, have sufficient panache, and speak of mature gentlemanliness in way that few others can. And even though I’m not into talking about about compliments I receive while wearing fragrances (unless it’s something I’m telling my girlfriend about, or whatever) this one is liked by a wide variety of women, from the hottest young babes on up.

Edit: New York is often compared to Bois du Portugal, and vice versa, and even though I like Bois du Portugal to some extent, it feels doughy, formless, pampered and confused compared to New York. For overall quality and a variety of other reasons (“the understated deft interplay of spice and herbal elements, the smouldering slow release of it all, the level of salience and extensiveness”, and many others), I’d be far more likely to compare New York to something like Patou pour Homme rather than Bois du Portugal.

Edit: New York has been reformulated. It's hard and confused compared to the original, but it's still pretty good.

11th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2014)

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I like this one very much, though the overall impression I get is "generic masculine fougere," with mint standing in for lavender, which I'm not entirely sure isn't in there anyway... My favorite bit is the nice use of geranium and mint here...Giving it a positive vote although for me it's not a super standout. Nice, but not a "must have" for me.

Jardin Clos by Diptyque

Love this stuff, watermelon note notwithstanding. Makes me feel like I'm actually IN the classic young adult book "The Secret Garden" all over again. Beautiful, light spring florals. Perfect for spring.

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

Very pretty, just too darn sweet. I want my gourmands with a twist, and need something... more here. SOD is nice, but doesn't "wow" me.

Park Royal by Anglia Perfumery

Crown Park Royal is an unusual fragrance that combines both herbs and spices to create a warm, unique experience. It opens with a citrus / aromatic accord with the aromatics being supplied by cloves and eucalyptus. The eucalyptus is presented quite strongly — as strong as I’ve smelled in a fragrance. It is something to experience — a sort of Vicks Vapor Rub meets dentist office. I rather liked it at first, but I quickly recognized that it’s not the kind of thing I’d keep enjoying…it’s aggressive and it could get really old, really fast, that is, if it lasted longer than it does. The crux of the matter is: I’m not a big fan of a strong smell of cloves in a fragrance. At first, the eucalyptus dominates, which I approve of; then, the cloves take over, which I don’t approve of. That’s about all there is to the fragrance — eucalyptus and cloves.

Although it is unique, I am not really fond of this fragrance — there are too many minuses. The initial accord is interesting at first, I am already bored with it after three wearings, and if I really want a eucalyptus / cloves fix, I have a jar Vicks Vapor Rub in my medicine cabinet and a jar of cloves in my spice rack. Crown Park Royal ends up almost entirely clove and, although it becomes very subtle, I still find it annoying. As a sillage maker, its longevity is abysmal, but as a skin scent, the clove domination lasts through a couple of showers.

JaimeB's avatar

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Lui is a very comforting woody scent, with bits of fresh, green and floral. On me, it goes through a bit of a rough patch between the top and middle notes, but it recovers very quickly, and the rest of the ride is very pleasant. I think this can be a dress-up scent, but I wouldn't exclude it from casual attire days. Maybe not for torn jeans... I don't know what buffalo grass is, but it reminds me of something I first knew as sweet grass. I think it contributes that bit of sweetness I find in this fragrance, but that could be the neroli, too.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni

An intriguingly complex fragrance that has some rose in and out of the scene. Love this, but I find it hard to understand and fully appreciate. I think of this is a sophisticated avant gard fragrance with enigmatic sharp/soft olfactory elements, that is one thing indoors, and something else outside--- particularly in the winter. In the cold weather the notes pop like mad with almost shimmering 3-D sillage. Although I don't see cinnamon in the pyramid, I smell a distinct rose and cinnamon combo in the chilly air, that is out of this world. When worn in warm weather, the rose in DC 1913 has to fight for its place in the sun and it is a tad lacking in excitement. I smell no tobacco, sadly, although there is a lot of incense that I can't define as frankincense, since I have no earthly idea what stand-alone frankincense smells like. This doesn't really smell like a fragrance that evolves from a custom tailoring connection or heritage, as does Kiton fragrance. It would be a closer association to say this fragrance takes its inspiration from a quality high-end art gallery or small chic museum, IMHO. Keep it light on application and it can be subtle and sophisticated. Overdue it and it's probably obnoxious. A masculine semi-rose best for Fall and Winter.

12 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 June, 2009)

Joe_Frances's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

Maybe it's just me, but I like Colonis Intensa AND original Acqua di Parma. Yes this is different in some ways, but similar in others. It has the distinctive AdeP Italian citrus sensibility; but it is well...more intense, and somewhat longer lasting. Strangely, this fragrance is somewhat "two sided"-- it's AdeP all right, but then it has a somewhat more burnished, stronger element that is not all that AdeP. It's AdeP with a more forward, alternative side that comes through as wearing of it progresses through the day. The original is younger; fresher; and a little simpler. This is a bit more complex, with a few little spikes. It last a bit longer and has more development in the drydown than the Original, which is wonderfully more fresh, and so hopelessly evanescent. What a great name "evanescent" would be for a fragrance!

lannansidhe's avatar

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

Do not confuse this with Miss Dior Cherie!
    This is one of my all time favourite, "grown-up" scents. I do not at all understand the person who said they wore this in their teens and twenties, but couldn't now. This is not a teen's scent, imho. I wear this when I want something that will last all day on my dry skin and when I want to smell something I love alllll day long.
    Oakmoss doesn't agree with everyone and once this has gotten to the drydown, that is what you are left with, mostly.

h_len's avatar

Israel Israel

No. 19 by Chanel

One of the greatest frags of all times. Period.

Realm by Realm Fragrances

So I too tried this inspite of the gimmicky and cheap "contains pheromones" gold sticker on the package. It DOES contain pheromones, as Myohoman noted, one of the 3 top attractants. It is a different one from that contained in Estee Lauder's Intuition for example. My wife certainly does react to it, (I haven't tried with any other females) but I don't think it will make a woman want to sleep with you...but it does help if you were already getting hot'n'heavy.

Now the smell...it took a good week for me to get a good grip on this fragrance...alas it is nothing new. It is a bit sweet and can come off as not masculine (go figure). But I think it is because of the pheromones: a man's nose almost immediately will block it out!

If you do like the smell and don't give a rat's 'patoot' (thanks Car and Driver) about pheromones, then look for and buy GUESS MEN (not Guess Man in the green bottle) the old school classic in the tall cylindrical bottle. The liquid is a dark ambery color and the cap and base is black. It is very hard to come by, but I recommend getting a mini bottle since it is VERY strong.

A blend of GUESS MEN and REALM? Arm yourself with a stick...it will attrract more than a fair share of ladies!!

PS: this combo can put you in a foul mood, so if you try it and you are ready to fight someone, it's your cologne fault

12 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2008)

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

I am not surprised to see all the thumbs down...from guys. Hello...it contains pheromones that you are NOT supposed to be attracted to. There are 3 top pheromone attractants based on a wide variety of men. If this one is NOT a significant part of your natural chemistry you will be disgusted by it. IF you are lucky like stevef below and this works with your chemistry you will like it and not know why.

It does have a resemblance to Allure, but just vaguely. It is closer to Hypnose by Lancome, though the later is super ctrong compared to Intuition. What I do is layer...Intuition underneath (on my undershirt or skin) generously, then top it off with Hypnose. The combo does wonders...the intuition works kinda like an octane booster for your car. Works better in warmer weather where it can really stretch its legs (or on a dancefloor or anywhere else you might certainly sweat).

Don't bother if you don't want to attract the opposite sex.

Axe Lab by Axe / Lynx

Smells to me like the cologne version of Axe Touch, itself very similar to Davidoff Echo and a lil bit like Givnchy ph Blue Label. Deep aquatic with a woody undertone. Can be sensous aat times. Works well in humid weather.

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

What a let down. I like the smell of coffee, and so I expected to like this one. The coffee scent in this is a stale/burnt cooffee-in-the-office-coffee-pot that has been there for days smell. Not attractive or desirable...to me anyway. I think it takes away from the original A*Men scent as the coffee part hangs around through out the scent life.
    Neutral at best (and that is stretching it). Only buy if you love that coffee smell regardless of freshness.

12 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 April, 2008)

scentsitivity's avatar

Altitude by Swiss Army

Synthetic green and airiness. Unremarkable and not particularly interesting, but inoffensive.