Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I love this fragrance my favorite of the muglers I give this a 10 it will always be in my collection

Style In Play by Lacoste

An average fragrance at best doesn't smell bad but there are many better fragrances on the market to choose from

cK one Summer 2005 by Calvin Klein

This is my favorite of all the CK summers including 2008 very nice scent and compliment getter.

Mr. G's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

A little known and quite rare fragrance dating back to 1906, Après l'Ondée - meaning 'after the rain shower' - is an oddity known only to the perfume loving elite. A soft, discreet and contemplative scent, quite aloof, even unemotional - it's said to be a 'thinker's classic'. It is a cold scent, from the cold rain water doused on the hawthorn and violet, hence the name, with a stern top note caused by the aniseed and bergamot, but it warms as one wears it. Après L'Ondée is the shivering feeling of summer rain, but behind the chill one senses the glow that will come back when the sun has warmed up the wet garden again. The Parfum-version is less cold - the Eau de Toilette is minutes after the rain, while the Parfum is half an hour later when the raindrops have damped away. Sadly, its Parfum-version is no longer in production due to European health regulations against some of its ingredients.

Mr. G's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Liù by Guerlain

After the Japan-inspired Mitsouko, Liu from 1929 was the next in line to unite Jacques Guerlain's enthusiasm about the oriental world and the European arts. Liu is the name of the heroine in Puccini's last opera 'Turandot' from 1926, based on a story from a Persian collection of stories called 'The Book of One Thousand and One Days', and set in ancient China near the walls of the Imperial City in Peking. This opera is about the battle between dangerous obsessions and the need for life, love and sanity, and Liu's character is a slave girl so devoted to her master that she kills herself in order to save him from his fateful yearnings. Together with Sous le Vent, Coque d'Or, Véga and Djedi, Liu is one of Guerlain's very '1930's style' perfumes that were momentary successes, and Liu was perhaps the most missed when it disappeared. It was reissued in 1994 in its original and extremely decorative 'snuffbox bottle', and it now exists again as an Eau de Parfum in the exclusive 'Les Parisiennes' collection. Liu was created for Rose Kennedy, mother of John F. Kennedy, but an unconfirmed story goes that Jacques Guerlain once caught his wife wearing the iconic Chanel no. 5 and then immediately felt inspired to create a competitor. Its top notes includes aldehydes, but Liu bears the true Jacques Guerlain-signature: It's dry, dark and not fruity-floral like Chanel no. 5.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

Mambo is a nice fragrance. When I first smelled it I fell in love with it. Altho not one of the fragrances I normally wear.. But it is seductive & its great. It can be overpowering at first but the dry down is much MUCH better! I ended up giving my bottle to my little cousins bcause for some reason I just got tired of it. So I will give it a neutral rating!

thatsmr2usir's avatar

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I must admit that I am not a fan of apples in fragrances... But this is a very unique scent done by DKNY! It's intoxicating & sparkling somewhat. It is way better then Be Delicious as apples & coffee is not a good mixture for me. This fragrance has good longevity & is worth the money! Thumbs up for me!

Pecota's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

As soon as I sampled Grey Flannel at a JC Penny's, I immediately found and bought a mini of it to clear out my sinuses when congested, and it works better than any Nasonex spray that you can find. Far too overpowering for me to wear, big thumbs down.

Gingerale by Demeter Fragrance Library

I absolutely adore this one, from the bubbles of the first spray to the faint reminiscence of it hours later it is just pleasant all over. It has a nice lasting power, usually I can still notice a fresh soda-ginger scent while others around you probably won't notice unless they are in really close proximity. Clean, tangy, and sweet without feeling too sugary, this is in my opinion one of Demeter's best.

Grass by Demeter Fragrance Library

This has less of a "mowed grass" scent and much more of an overgrown field scent. It has a very dusty sunny feel to it, as if opening a window out in the country and having the smells of the outdoors come in. It's a great scent.

Holy Smoke by Demeter Fragrance Library

A very nice fall scent, heavy and thick [without being overpowering] with a nice amount of staying power. I have tried this one and fireplace and I lean towards this one more for that smoky-incense feel.

Honey by Demeter Fragrance Library

Certainly honey-ish, but I simply could not do this one, it had almost a sickeningly sweet feel to it. Sadly for me it seemed to linger on me for a much longer time than I would have liked. Not for me.

Firefly by Demeter Fragrance Library

This one is supposed to have the feel of a summer night, and it has a nice blend of grass, earth and dust mixed in to make a very unique and accurate scent. It probably won't smell exactly as evenings as you remember them as everyplace smells different but it is still a very pleasant and memorable scent. My only problem with it is the fact that while Demeters aren't known for their lasting power, most usually linger a bit even if faintly. This one after spritzing is gone pretty quickly. If you are looking for something slightly similar but with better staying power check into Thunderstorm.

Ginseng Root by Demeter Fragrance Library

Think of a less sugary and more earthy/root gingerale scent and you got this one down. It enhances the otherwise incredibly subtle sushi well. I got this one as a freebie and originally wasn't too excited until I used it a few times. This one is for someone who is a fan of the more natural and less sugary or flowery scents.

oeditrix's avatar

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

Keep a silver locket in the freezer for a week, then pull it out and put it on - that's The Unicorn Spell. Undeniably pretty, but so cold it makes my sinuses ache. Green, with scarcely a hint of the warmth you associate with a flower; these are the tiny, pale violets that grow close to the ground because they bloomed too early in the spring and had to weather a lot of chilly nights. On the skin, soft woods begin to embellish and warm the scent after half an hour; but the violet note, almost metallic to my nose, hangs on much longer; then the whole thing vanishes into oblivion, just as a hint of vanilla begins to pull the scent off-center.

SuzySP's avatar

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

I just love this! The incense aroma takes me back to my years in Catholic school when I was young and naughty. It has those wonderful woody notes softened and made feminine by a powdery veil of something I can't identify. I agree with another post tho, it does not last long enough.

Bette Page's avatar

Maja by Myrurgia

I have used Maja soap for many years. I recently opened my last bar out of an old stash. I bought some anew and when I opened it - whew! It is now made in Mexico for the North American Market and it is INFERIOR. The soap is flaky and fragile and the top note is not the same. Try to buy from europe.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

This may be "best in class" for the type of fragrance it is - like most Czech and Speake formulas are. Very fresh citrus opening that is balanced by animalic musk + civet that lets you know this is not another innocent eau de citrus. It is very French like the older Chanels and Guerlains that have body odor notes to give the freshness of the citrus a contrasting backdrop. It has character - it is real. I also like the dry coriander note that forms most of the very dry base along with the citrus that lasts throughout. The coriander adds a woody dryness that is a contemporary feel against the grapefruit opening that's a little like YSL Live Jazz but instead of the mint in L. Jazz you have the slightly odorous musk. This has to be one of the best citrus scents around. It is fresh, crisp, dry and woody, while it feels new and old at the same time. Highly recommended!

Salvatore Ferragamo by Salvatore Ferragamo

This really is a delicious scent and I will also wear this a long time as I wear it well. The first person I smelled who had it on I wanted to choke to tell me what he was wearing (instead I just asked and he told me). I love this one and it's certainly worth buying and I usually can't stand fragrances with anise in them (didn't know it until today.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I don't know Vibert nor am I am I as articulate about fragrances as Vibert but I have to agree about L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme. Can't take the fragrance. I don't care who wears it it smells like chemicals to me and I've tried it on my skin and it did nothing for me. I've smelled it on countless (COUNTLESS) others and didn't care for the smell on them either so it must be the fragrance. Some things are for some people and some things aren't I guess. For those who love this fragrance, and obviously most here love it, enjoy it in good health.

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I've loved this for years now and the notes are awesome on me. I love the fig and the drydown. It has always sort of reminded me in a way of Marc Jacobs for men. I will always buy this as long as it's sold. It's not expensive and smells great.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

I love this fragrance!!! From top to bottom the notes do something on my skin that people in general appreciate. While most people seem to like this more than Salvatore Ferragamo I like them both equally and wear them at different times depending on how I feel. Marc Jacobs isn't something I wear daily though, once every so often I wear this one. Don't want anyone sweating my fragrances!!

Incanto pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I am liking this as well. There is only one I really don't like by Ferragamo. It's the Incanto Essential which essentially I won't wear and won't bother judiging.

Incanto pour Homme Essential by Salvatore Ferragamo

I have this and although most folks at perfumeemporium give it great reviews and some say it's Ferragomo's best I couldn't agree less. I really don't know what to do with it much less wear it.

supermarky's avatar

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

I think this is the model perhaps for Amouage Silver Crystal which tarts it up with fruits. Both are wondefful fragrances, Tiffany defnitely more versatile. I look forward to trying the others Naed mentions. Those jostling elbows are divine!

Jovan Ginseng NRG by Jovan

Not my cup of tea (I'm no fan of fig notes in general), but remarkably good stuff for the moolah. It's definitely a product of the late Nineties, what with its "clean and fresh" herbal thaaaang going on, but all in all not bad at all for something from Jōvan.

Jovan White Musk for Men by Jovan

Pleasant and clean and remarkably affordable. If you like Gendarme, CK1 and/or Issey Miyake, you'll likely flip for this little puppy (especially once you see the VERY modest cost).

Decent longevity and good sillage -- a damn good bang for very little coin.

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

This is what happens when you leave your Carlos Santana for Men next to your Liz Claiborne Spark -- the two mate at night and create this odd little baby.

Put another way, it's Spark without the cheap synthetic rumminess and Santana minus the distinctive (and very pleasant) musky notes.

If you like fruity, fairly sweet men's frags, you can't go wrong (esp. for the low price tag). If this type of frag is NOT your bailiwick, though, I'd run screaming in the opposite direction.

I'm giving this one a thumbs up, but only with the proviso above.

Strollyourlobster's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Pine fire and church incense, softened by gentler woods.
    If you find Avignon stark and harsh, and it is, you might enjoy Gucci pour Homme. It has more of the outdoors to it and gentler edges that hint at a human presence. This not a cold stone cathedral with hushed tourists peering into its dark vaults, it's a stone chapel filled to overflowing for Easter vigil. It's also worth pointing out that Gucci pour Homme can be gotten for something like a quarter the price of the Comme des Garcons incense series.

Emporio Armani City Glam for Him by Giorgio Armani

After reading all the bad reviews I had to test this for myself and I have to agree this stuff is bad. When I first applied it I thought its not bad but then comes the dry down in my opinion that's where it goes bad. The worst from Armani I will suggest to try before you buy if you don't you might regret it.