Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Scentologist's avatar

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

I tend to agree with neutral ratings awarded thus far. The vetiver is not from the root which gives a pungent, eathy aroma as in Guerlain's Vetiver. The vetiver must be taken from the leaves because it is very fresh, clean, and surfactant-like. I would award this a higher rating but as already mentioned, I also feel that the tonka note ruins the fragrance. I wished I could skim off the top notes and just wear that but thats dreaming. 5/10

Poême by Lancôme

Single note of persian clover (Trifolium resupinatum) - lovely, sweet, honey-ish, mesmerizing fragrance, somewhat powdery; you can almost feel like a bee.

VV by Roberto Verino

VV by Roberto Verino resembles Esencia De Duende by J. del Pozo, but it is more agreeable. Cucumbers + green apple + cinnamon/ginger. Fresh, cologne-y, a little masculine.

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

Dirty, sour, cheesy socks + nail remover + cyanoacrylate in Super Glue. "Screaming", synthetical. Run-a-mile type of scent.

Rougeberry by Body Shop

3/4 raspberry + 1/4 blackberry + freesia + slightly caramelic base. Vivid. Long-lasting.

Rumeur 2 Rose by Lanvin

Good. Fresh, playful and.. elegant. Slightly aldehydic. Rose + lemon + grapefruit. It reminds somewhat Baby Doll.

fudull's avatar

Albania Albania

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Perhaps it is because this was the first fragrance I ever purchased, or perhaps it is the fact that while wearing this the last 9 years I have received more compliments that I can count, or maybe it is the amazing sillage and longevity which causes the whole laundry basket to emanate of vanilla and amber for days after I have put in it a shirt with a modest application of Le Male. It is hard for me to be concise when praising this fragrance, because while going through 3 bottles, I do not have only one reason why I love JPG Le Male, but at any given time I can give at least a dozen different ones.

I have also heard the criticism, with terms such as "chemical meltdown" and "overwhelmingly cloying” often going around. I disregard these critiques, because in the end of the day, 12 to 14 hours after initial application, an aura of warmth and sweetness is still prominent and heads turn regardless, and if it is a synthetic sweetness that causes this effect, well then so be it. Perhaps time has come where a well-done synthetic can compete and hold its own with the all-natural offerings out there.

I will gladly go out on a limb and reserve Le Male's place among the venerated classics. Decades later, we shall speak of it in the same breath as Guerlain Vetiver, Grey Flannel and Dunhill Edition. Not because it shares their notes or themes, but because it shares the qualities of a classic: amazing versatility, breakthrough combination of notes, remarkable progression and development, and the sillage and longevity of a thoroughbred. I just do not know of any fragrance that was released in the 90s that better captures the essence of the decade and has even two of these characteristics let alone all four.

A thumbs up for the ages.

13th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 16th May, 2008)

runstile's avatar

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

ugh. top notes ruined it for me, stinky, almost cumin like. Maybe its the coriander and juniper, I don't know for sure. Dry down was not bad tho, and lasted a while.

jathanas's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I've had this for 3 days and now I better understand the fragrance. The initial impression is of a masculine fragrance, not harsh but not like the generic aqua-ozone-syntheto-fruitjelly stuff the marketers think we should be buying either. The topnote I get most is the lavender / shave cream blend. It dries down to a sweet-creamy-spicy smell, you could almost forget it's there. This fragrance projects to others more than yourself, so be moderate in the application. A winner with it's cerebral nature guaranteed to create a lasting impression.

ludwigslady's avatar

Roseberry by Les Parfums de Rosine

Roseberry is my first purchase after a very long hunt, sampling perfumes for over a year. It is beautiful, green and fresh. I don't get any berry or, for that matter, much rose in the classic sense. Roseberry starts off very green with crushed leaves and grass and light rose. The 'blast' of these notes backs off after awhile and a warm, fresh, ladylike green bouquet takes over. It is this moment I wait for and it I love it. This is very uplifting and balancing fragrance. For some, it will not be complex enough, but that is why I love it so much. My family loves it and so do my friends. If you like soft green fragrances or light chypres, give this one a try.

ludwigslady's avatar

Geranium Bourbon by Miller Harris

Yummy. I get a blast of geranium right from the garden. It quiets down to a green floral for me. There is rose, but garden rose, not 'perfume' rose. It goes on a calm, happy journey through green florals with a touch of very subtle wood. It is a centering fragrance in my experience. I have also begun mixing it with other fragrances. I've tried it with Rosine's Roseberry and with DelRae's Bois de Paradis. It heightens all of Roseberry's greenness and somehow gives the DelRae a more opulent quality. I enjoy Geranium Bourbon because it is a floral without being flowery. Give it a try.

silverbullet's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Wow, Vibert hits it right on the head:

"Liberal application improves Jubilation's longevity as well. The luxurious drydown persists for hours and hours and is without question this fragrance's best feature. Oudh, myrrh, and opopanax engage in a complex dance upon a stage of leather. The medicinal astrigency of oudh and myrrh offer a perfect balance to the sweet opopanax."

hubert delauney's avatar

Champs-Elysées Too Much by Guerlain

Too Much has strong Almond /Woodsy notes in the base and is sweeter and stronger than the original-- If you don't like almondy tones and fruit, don't go for it. However, my daughter loves it and loves the incredible bottle. so from her, a thumbs up.

Sensi by Giorgio Armani

Fresh? I don't think so. I bought this fragrance as a gift, but then I showed it to a friend of mine just to get her idea about the perfume as a gift. I always liked her fragrance taste and when she said "really good", I decided to keep it for me. As I said, it is not fresh to me. I like fresh perfumes and my understanding of fresh is more like Davidoff Cool Water (women). I like powdery perfumes, too, but I can not say that Sensi is exactly a powdery perfume either. It was strange to me at first. Not exactly my style. But because my expert friend told that this piece was good, I kept it and started to use it frequently after a while because I got compliments whenever I used it. Then it became my top choice. I like some other Armani stuff and I agree that armani has its own signature. Sensi is strange to me at first but not a "bad strange" rather a "good strange". It is powdery somehow but not an ordinary powdery, it has its own and unique way of powdery. There is something weird in it, I don't know what, may be this benzoin thing. But I don't suggest it to those who like flowery fragrances or romantic stuff. Sensi is mature yet not old, feminine and sexy. I also agree that it has reat lasting power. It is not fresh according to me but definitely dynamic and energizing. To sum up, Sensi is good stuff.

Curve Crush for Women by Liz Claiborne

I was at a store one evening and I was in a hurry and I was looking for a nice fragrance because mine were almost gone. I asked the lady to suggest me something affordable, she gave me curve crush and said that people liked it, but because there was no tester at the time, I didn't have a choice but trust her opinion. It was really affordable, what could I expect anyway? However, I was completely wrong about my prejudice. Crush is definitely lovely and not once I could get away people smelling me. Everytime I wear it, I get compliments and when I say what perfume I am wearing, some people say "yeah, I knew it, my coworker also uses it, and she always smells great" or similar stuff. Cursh is definitely powdery, nice musk and vanilla combination but not like those who make you throw up because they are so sweet and intense. It is clean, casual and relax, not sexy or flirtatious. But definitely lovely!!

Promesse by Cacharel

Yes it is pinky, yes it is for teens. But I can't stop myself falling in love with this fragrance. From the first second I tried Promesse, I couldn't stop loving it. Finally I bought one for myself but I don't know why but people didn't give the response that I was expecting. May be Promesse is not for my skin, may be it is really standart or it doesn't have lasting power. I don't know the reason. Promesse is sweet, warm and flowery. God, I love this smell, but at some point I felt like I wasted my money on this because no one noticed me! I used it frequently during a vacation with my husband but because I couldn't get the response that I want fro other people, I stopped using it for a while. later, one day I usedit again and my husband was half-sleeping at the time. Later that evening he told me that I smelled real nice that morning and it reminded him that vacation. After that I started to use Promesse occasionally, everytime I feel wonderful, but not enough people recognizes it. I don't know if I should buy Promesse again but I guess I can not stop myself buying it again because at least my husband loves it:)

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

This is such a terrible fragrance. The tops notes are to strong & not pleasing at all. I suppose it is the seaweed! Luckily I got this as a gift & sprayed it once and then passed it on.. The other person did not like the stinch so they just tossed it! I would not recommend this to anyone.

GMF's avatar

Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud

I can't agree with the previous review. Special Reserve is a solid leather fragrance, very much like Creed's Royal English Leather, but without the "urinal cake" sweetness that pervades the drydown of REL. Any fan of REL or English Leather (by Dana) should give Clubman Special Reserve a try.

bondgirl68's avatar

Knowing by Estée Lauder

Knowing has been a fav of mine for several years, I especially love to bring this out in the fall because of the complexity and the length of time the scent lingers on the skin. I don't wear it often but whenever I do it never fails to bring in positive comments.

cagatay's avatar

Escada Moon Sparkle for Men by Escada

nice...but not atractive... its good for summer nights but i cant find what i want.. search other products.. maybe u will like but its ur opinion

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Basala / Basara by Shiseido

I’m ashamed to say it but the reason I bought this one was the bottle (I’m blushing right now). Happily, I really liked it.
    It’s not a perfect choice for the office, but it’s ideal for a pleasant evening with the friends or your beloved.
    It’s funny, but I start to get compliments for this one not until four hours after the application. I was thinking a long time about the reason. Maybe, but just maybe, “the key” is amber. Namely, the same thing happens to me with Boucheron pour Homme. In the drydown of both scents, Basala and Boucheron pour Homme, you can easily notice amber.
    Basala is an excellent example that a safe scent could be original, at the same time. Nowdays, that accomplishment stays a mystery for a lot of producers. They give us so many safe but tragically unoriginal fragrances. But, hey, don’t bother, the propaganda will do the rest; it will cover the lack of their creativity… or maybe of their courage.
    In short, Basala is a really great one.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Aqua Motu / Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Aqua Motu is my first summer choice. I have to mention that I possess about 30 summer scents in my collection. Should I say anything more? I should? OK...
    Top: Gummy. Middle: Heavenly. Base: Salty. All in all, it’s very authentic, very interesting.
    Aqua Motu didn’t made to be someone’s signature scent. It isn’t sexy or mysterious. No, that’s not its mission, but it is extra fresh (it sounds like a commercial for some bubble gum or tooth paste) and “you smell very pleasant“ scent.
    Please imagine this: It’s very, very hot summer day. You are wearing Aqua Motu… and the passers-by, some people at the station where you wait for your bus, your colleagues, a lift-boy… they all are looking at you very thankful for that breath of fresh air you’re giving to them. Not an unpleasant picture, isn’t it?
    Just once, in my whole “scent collector’s career” I regretted because I purchased 50 instead of 100 ml bottle. Of course, I’m talking about Aqua Motu.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

First wearing was a little off putting, it smelled sweaty, heavy, animalic, and slightly sweet. The second wearing was SO much better. No more sweaty and heavy smell, just a nice animalic, yet still slightly sweet fragrance that made my mind wander to thoughts about the aftermath of bodies intertwined in coitus. A very erotic and seductive fragrance from SL. I wish it was easier to access it here in the US.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Nuits de NoHo by Bond No. 9

I smelled NdNH on paper, it made me dizzy and nautious. Tried it on my skin, how delish! Complete 180 degree turn around from paper to skin. Pineapple is such a refreshing alternative to all the citrusy or flowery offerings in mass market world. I agree with cologneguy that this could be unisex b/c I KNOW I could pull this scent off, but I bet it would smell even yummier on female skin. Might get a big bottle for me and the SO.

chaoskitty's avatar

Fig & Cherry by Berkeley Square

I love this. It's now one of my favourite scents. I'll admit I bought it originally because it was half price in Boots, and the packaging lured me. It's been a great purchase.
    On me it's less cherry than I would've liked, but it has led me to discover that I enjoy fig too. I also don't seem to get any of the musk, and it does stay figgy to the end. Unfortunately it does have pretty lousy lasting power, and has gone about two hours later. Three if I'm lucky.
    I wish they did an EDP version.

Limitedmichel's avatar

Netherlands Antilles Netherlands Antilles

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

--Ice cream shop.--
    Is the proper way to describe it. If you want to smell like chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, caramel and other delicious chillygoodies, this is the scent for you. It is powerful and projecting. Be warned if you wear it though. If you come across a hungry ice cream addict while wearing this, they might be tempted to take a bite.

This is a perfect sent for teens, going out to parties. The girlies will love it. :) Also, don't wear this if you use public transportation. ;)

Limitedmichel's avatar

Netherlands Antilles Netherlands Antilles

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

It's a fresh, sweet in a good way sent that lingers alitle close to the skin. Not overwhelming, but elegant and classy. Some people might get a whiff of it if they come close to you, but don't expect it to project very far.

But, for an evening scent, it's pretty comforting and nice. The teanote can be a litle bit hard to detect at times, and If I do get it, it smells like a cool black chinese tea. No earl grey, that's for sure.

Staying power seems fine to me, I could still smell it 6-7 hours later on my skin. But it does, as has been mentioned before, stay close to the skin. Is it a must have? No. Is it classy and elegant? Indeed it is.

achillesg's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

Since I have not read any of Basenotes review guidelines, I will try to be as clinical as possible. To my nose, this scent is not only not good, it is objectionable. I cannot overemphasize the degree to which I disliked this product.

As another reviewer recommended, you can save a good deal of money by buying "Unjustified" at Wal-Mart which advertises itself as a clone, and, in fact, smells very much like the original, but only costs about $8.

I tested both the original and the clone. Unfortunately.

Try before you buy. Make sure you have a wash basin nearby. If your nose is like mine, you'll need it.

fool's avatar

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

I am glad to see that more and more Basenoters are weighing in on the positive side for this. It has often been seen as a lower quality add-on to one of the most distinguished lines in the history of fragrance. I can only say that it has become (along with Vetiver Oriental) my girlfriend's "go-to" scent. It smells unbelievably sexy on her and garners compliments everywhere she goes. I frankly think it's too bad they didn't give it its own name, rather than just adding the word Sensuelle.

14th April, 2008

JaimeB's avatar

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Olivia Giacobetti is the nose behind this fragrance.
    Notes: Lime, Pepper, Ginger, Star Anise, Cedar
    A fresh, slightly chypré scent with a simple opening and a smooth drydown. The notes remain throughout in harmony; though the combination of notes gives a feeling of complexity, the scent is essentially linear, with even the lime note persisting into the drydown. Essentially close to the skin, the sillage diminishes fairly quickly, but the impression reemerges with moderate exertion. Simple, elegant, fresh; this is a great scent for work.

14th April, 2008