Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Joe_Frances's avatar

Mazzolari Mazzolari by Mazzolari

When I first tried this all I could think of was Christmas trees. I thought that as well on the second, and third, and fourth applications. This was, I thought, the fragrance of a freshly cut Christmas tree. Well, on first application, it does sort of smell like that, but that image doesn't begin to explain this singular fragrance, This is a beautiful forest fragrance with all the green and sharp notes; all the light and even the softness one might experience standing alone in a deep wood. If you are in search of a fragrance that attempts to be a window on such natural beauty try this. But remember, whatever you do, try not to think about CHRISTMAS TREES!

Stu's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I've never cared for Egoiste since its inception in 1990. It has an unusual smell to it that to this day I find medicinal and reminds me of something called Robutussin cough syrup. I would never wear this or recommend it to anyone else but do understand that everyone is different and feels differently about fragrance. Whatever floats your boat.

14 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2008)

Zenobia's avatar

Rumba by Ted Lapidus

This fragrance could have been created by Houdini. If it was a 'hard to find fragrance' (on Luckyscent for instance) it would be ten times the price.You think you've grasped it & it disappears and reappears in another form. Nose pressed against skin, it's rich, juicy golden plum on a bed of dry animalic spices. There is a period of warm florals set in bees wax and then bone dry, scorchingly hot, freshly ironed shirts (no kidding). It's sweetened by plum, peach and raspberry but it's not gourmand like modern fragrances, it's a raging oriental of the 80's - think Opium, Poison, Beautiful, Paris etc. It doesn't smell one bit like any of them but it's that kind of robust floral & juicy oriental. What's enigmatic about this fragrance is that everyone around you will comment that they can smell incense burning. I've never had so many strangers comment on a fragrance before. In addition to wearing it, I spray it in my bedroom (on the bed linen or in the air) and within minutes I am surrounded by dozens of slow burning church candles (bees wax) and sweet smouldering incense. Jean Claude Ellena should reconsider his evolution to 'minimalist' parfums. This is a masterpiece and anything but minimalist.

Zenobia's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

This is the perfect exotic summer fragrance. This is a glass a very dry, very expensive Champagne with a dash of Midori and a squeeze of fresh lime. It does remind me of Egypt but not literally. It's the nostalgic feeling I get when I think of Egypt. The green mango stays green all the way through so it never gets sweet. It stays fruity in a fresh, crisp way. There's herbs which are light and aromatic and there is something delicately woodsy. I can't really smell the lotus flower but it's very well balanced by a subtle floral. Keep it in the fridge and spray it on during very hot days or better still, hot nights - it's not hard to imagine you're cruising the Nile (and sipping Champagne).

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Bobby Jones by Bobby Jones

Smells almost exactly like Jaguar Performance, one of my favorite scents. BJ is a little less sharp and strong...maybe more refined? or maybe just less depth. I like it, its very fresh and kinda sweet. And soapy. Great for summer office wear, especially if you are looking for something different.

fusion's avatar

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

When I first smelled this fragrance I thought it was ok, everyone I knew had it so to me it was nothing special. 10 yrs later I decide to retry it and I'm glad I did this smells really good a very pleasant scent not sold everywhere everyone doesn't have it anymore. Some people can't believe it's Emporio Armani He that I'm wearing which is nice to hear when your wearing an Armani product so a thumbs up even though I wish it lasted just a little bit longer.

fusion's avatar

Emporio Armani Remix He by Giorgio Armani

This a very nice fragrance lasted over 8 hrs on me stays close to the skin but every now & then I would smell it on myself .

irish's avatar

Mexico Mexico

White Musk by Montale

The scent of a baby... beautiful, pure and clean.... a bit feminine but that is only because of its softness. Indeed a Great White Musk. The first time I wore it, I dreamt that GF was pregnant!

irish's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

Stupid names... Chanel should be more creative and actually come up with something new every time they come up with a new fragrance. That said, this one is very nice. People complain about logevity, but come on! It says COLOGNE. That is why it is a 5 oz bottle. It is very nice, reminiscent of D&G Light Blue for woman.

14 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2009)

HDS1963's avatar

Racquets Formula by Penhaligon's

I'm surprised nobody thus far has picked up Racquets Formula being so similar to Heritage.

When I first went into one of the Penhaligon's stores to try this, the first thing I said when I put some of the EDT on the back of my hand was "I already have a fragrance that smells like this, Guerlain Heritage".

Racquets is a good fragrance if you haven't got Heritage, it shares some of the same qualities - but Heritage is the better of the two.

Texican's avatar

Sandalo by Santa Maria Novella

I just tried this Sandalwood fragrance after shaving, and I must say, I'm surprised that it is listed here as a feminine fragrance. While much of SMN fragrances are unisex, this sandalwood is something that I would associate with a male. The opening is bright and peppery, almost harsh, drying down to a melange of plant matter and wood. Like their Spanish Leather, I wouldn't call it a "pretty" fragrance. But is is certainly one that calls for a suit and tie.

Tony K's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Ok, I know everyone hates this, but I love me some Eternity. This is the smell of High School circa 1988, and I still get it. It is not revolutionary now, but it smells thousands time better than half of the dreck that passes as fragrance now.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Angel Schlesser Homme by Angel Schlesser

This is one of many not so popular but quite good scents.
    You can easily detect bergamot, sandalwood, cedar, anis and white musk, but the most interesting note here (at least to me) is rice. It’s funny, but on many sites you won’t even find rice among the Angel’s notes. For me, without rice the picture of Angel is just like an unfinished puzzle.
    I worried about the Angel’s sillage and I was apllying 8 sprays on each side of my neck until my mother told me once: ”You smell as strong as some prostitute”. That nice, little compliment “killed” my worries about its sillage.
    It’s ideal for the afternoon’s walks during the summer.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

If I have just one word at disposal to describe L’eau bleue that word would be – original.
    L’eau bleue is a bit unusual and when you wear it maybe you are insecure about possible people’s reactions to the way you smell. Believe me, you shouldn’t worry about it, people around you find this scent very lovely.
    You could try this little experiment: splash some L’eau bleue on your arm. Wait about half an hour. Smell it, but let your nose be 3-4 inches from your skin. Wait just a little bit, then put your nose on the skin and smell it again. Do you notice any difference?
    For some reason, the smell of L’eau bleue always brings to my mind the picture of a wet bush. God knows why.
    In my opinion, L’eau bleue is ideal for spring, but… one winter morning I was on the bus on my way to work. I remember, it was very cold. At some station some guy entered. I felt immediately the smell of L’eau bleue. I was enjoying very much in that smell. It’s a nice “olfactory memory” to me. However, I never wear L’eau bleue during the winter.
    No doubt, rosemary plays the key role in L’eau bleue’s top. The drydown is less original but more pleasant.
    Unfortunately, I’m not able to explain the reasons, but I can easily imagine this scent on three characters from Dostoevsky’s novels: Rodion Raskolnikov (Crime and Punishment), Ivan Karamazov (The Brothers Karamazov) and Nikolai Stavrogin (The possessed). They all are young, intelligent, educated and handsome, but with the huge internal conflicts.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

This frag. was my first buy this year, and also, the frag. that started my love affair with cologne/perfume. It's definately a sweet fresh fragrance. Like candy citrus to my nose. The top notes fade quickly on me but the amber try down sure does last quite awhile on my skin. Mmmmm, amber.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Saks Fifth Avenue for Him by Bond No. 9

Only tried it once, a pretty SA asked me if I wanted to try it while I was looking for Nuits de Noho, I said why not. Not at all impressive. This isn't a bad scent by far. It's just nothing special. Still, I think it smells good, similar to the new Escada moon sparkle but less green smelling, but it won't have me yearning to buy a bottle.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

it took a few tries . sometimes i get a slight ink smell.a very nice scent its mi with somethin slightly different. i guess the q is, would i pay that price for it? no.

14 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2008)

The Dreamer by Versace

dreamer can start off too harsh at times but it always settle down to a sweet slight body scent blended with a little sweaty tobacco

Yang by Jacques Fath

i added this to my drobe as a tea scent, but i didnt get tea at all. hmmm. what it smells like to me at times is lotion at 90 percent. with that said ,it is still a nice scent and for the price, why not.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

it smells like its alive.sweet wet leather. one of my favs

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

a spicey citrus scent. it just didnt work for me.

argus wishingwell's avatar

S.T. Dupont Homme by S.T. Dupont

i think it's the sexier brother of azzaro pour homme. the same "classy after shave" spirit, the same fresh attitude... silky, soapy, a little bit floral and very virile. using sometimes since 1998, i have not got bored of this one a minute... i think it would be more than ok for summer evenings... first class cologne from the first class lighter corporation.

Jemimagold's avatar

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

Ivoire smells like a greener, lighter version of the chypre classic Bandit, if Bandit also had a bit more soap and powder added to it.

Jemimagold's avatar

Diorling by Christian Dior

I had the extreme good fortune to try vintage Diorling edt recently and was totally taken by surprise. I thought Diorling would be another chypre tiger coming out to bite my hand but instead it is the most lovely polished leather scent. I just want to keep re-applying it to my arm!

Diorling took me back to childhood and my grandparents who always had Cadillac cars (hey- I'm from the South). Diorling smells just like their Cadillac's leather interior which I loved as a child. It felt so secure and warm in the back seat of their car. My grandparents were also big into roadtrips and would always take me along. I would just snuggle up in the pillowy back seat and read by the back seat light enveloped by the comforting scent of luxurious leather.

For comparison purposes, I also tried the current edition of Diorling. which has nowhere near the class or lushness of the vintage Diorling. In the current edition, the leather is very toned down and I get mostly a chypre-floral bouquet tied together with a bit of leather string. Also, it does not last long (1- 1 1/2 hr.)

Teck by Molinard

Teck is available at Harvey Nichols (London) -- 4th Floor -- £45 for 100ml. It is a little old-school, but still smells lovely. Very strong sillage though -- apply carefully. Reminds me very much of one of the Carthusia range (so they copied), but less harsh

The Dreamer by Versace

Not sure with this one. I like the warmth of the basenotes, but it takes quite a long time to get there and even then it's a little cloying. I would prefer to wear Cristobal PH, when I'm wanting something sweet and sexy.

Versace l'Homme by Versace

Wore this a few years ago and really liked. I remember thinking it was a bit dark and dangerous and that it evolved into this (amber/patchouli) from a fresh citrusy opening. I love fragrances when they move like this (size of the essence molecules?). It's definitely the best male fragrance imo from what is admittedly a pretty moderate range from this House and I will return to it soon, as it still stands up ok in the 2000's.

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

Lovely take on orange (with spices) that settles on a bed of sandalwood later (don't really get any musk). It is a truly nice but not groundbreaking fragrance -- longevity and sillage both excellent. On a par with Dunhill (2003) and Edition (found recently gathering dust in Harvey Nicks in the Dunhill accessories concession) imo and better than latest offering (London).

8 88 by Comme des Garçons

I have changed my mind about this fragrance. It's not really happening for me. After the initial spray, well it's hard to detect anything except maybe a weak peppery aroma. The secret is to wait for hours (it evolves all day) until something really emerges, which is the safraline (basically saffron), coriander and amber, which gives it an incensey feel. The first time I wore it, this was quite strong and heady, but the second time wasn't so. This is CDG's interpretation of what Gold should smell like and there is a metallic note running through it, which I'm not that keen on. Can't thumbs down though because the initial wearing was truly nice. It's a strange one.

Kaern

14 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 April, 2008)

Lew's avatar

Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

This is a wonderful scent! VERY different from anything that I have ever worn. I first encountered this frag in high school 1990. My brother worked at a local department store which was closing down and Ho Hang Club was marked down to five bucks. He gave me two bottles of the cologne so, the next morning I showered myself in this lovely scent and as I walked down the hall to my locker, two girls rammed me up against my locker and demanded to know what it was that I had on.(Man I miss High School! Kinda!) I buy this scent whenever I can find it and still to this day whenever I wear this, people always ask what is it that I am wearing because it does not smell like anything that they have smelled before. Very Distinguished! Very Exotic! A must have for my collection!!!