Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

MillesimeMan's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I love Creed Millésime Impérial. It's warm & romantic. It smells like "Bergamots & Florentine Iris' in a stone temple." I love the new bottle!

14 April, 2008

MillesimeMan's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

I don't like Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. I think this was just an excuse for Jacques Polge to create another Allure Homme bottle.

14 April, 2008

Joe_Frances's avatar

Mazzolari Lui by Mazzolari

Mazzolari Lui has an intriguing motor oil and dirty rags element that reminds me of a workshop, yet it co-mingles this with the subtle sweetness of what I think of as great bourbon, which gives it an overall accord that is deep, dark, unique and wonderfully masculine. It is almost impossible to pin this fragrance down as to what it is, or how or when one might wear it. In the final analysis, this thing of picking and wearing fragrances is a very personal business, and if you like bold and dark fragrances you will love this. At first I thought it was for casual wear. Then I tried it in a light application in winter with my favorite suit, and it was truly excellent. I could see Clark Gable or Robert Mitchum wearing this. Also, strangely enough, Dirk Bogarde. Figure that out if you can. If you love Givenchy Gentleman, but like me have trouble conceiving it as something to actually wear in public, I think Mazzolari Lui lightly applied would be a terrific choice. Of course, I would recommend you wear it first in a small gathering of friends who would tell you the truth if this turned out to be wrong for you. You'll want to know if you can pull this off. Odds are you will. Rare; expensive; impossible to describe fully: yes, yes, and yes. Great? Answer: profoundly great. We may have missed out on Patou Pour Homme, but this is still in production so no need to sigh and wish about what might have been. There are no excuses! You can get your hands on this, therefore, I suggest you do so.

14 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2010)

Joe_Frances's avatar

Mazzolari Vetyver by Mazzolari

This is among the most wearable of vetiver fragrances. It is subtle, charming and companionable. It is also complex, intriguing and versatile. Soft but with good longevity, it is not forward, nor is it noisy or riotously dissonant. This is not at all your natural "just out of the ground" rooty, dirty vetiver that would appeal most to agronomists. No, it doesn't have an essence of recently cultivated terra firma after a heavy rain storm. This is a vetiver that smells nice and clean. It is a very lovely, charming fragrance that has equal elements of old world charm; Italian barbershop propriety and unassuming elegance. This is not an overly masculine vetiver, and while I believe it is primarily a man's fragrance, it might do well for females looking for something with suavity and a touch of bite that is not overly floral or in any way "girly", There is a touch of floral, but just a touch. So, it's not really "unisex"-- what a crass name. It's more universal for the discerning. Aesthetically catholic, like Acqua di Parma, but less......, well one hates to say it but, less common.

14 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2010)

jingles's avatar

Chique by Fine Fragrances & Cosmetics

Cant afford Paloma Picasso then try Chique it is more than affordable and smells very nice

Dane's avatar

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Although difficult to come by (ask at the Shiseido counter if you don't see it), FdB is a must-smell. I have a hard time distinguishing it from Lutens' Bois Oriental/Violette/Musk/Fruit, and at a fraction of the price, its not a bad thing. Perhaps a tad more floral, it retains its dark, purple aroma of plum & cedar. Beautiful bottle too.

Dane's avatar

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

A slight variation on the original, but a good one. I don't think I need a bottle of each, but I definitely prefer its ambery drydown and warm undertones over the original. I don't get much leather at all...if any, its similar to the floral-leather used in Hermes' Kelly Caleche. A stunning homage to a classic men's scent, and worth every penny (if you can find it!)

Obsession by Calvin Klein

I love to smell this fragrance on a woman. Have loved it since it made it's debut amd always will. It's such a sensual, sexy fragrance if worn by the right woman and some women just don't wear it well like any other fragrance. Can be loud if too much is applied like most other fragrances too, but most adults by now I would think should know how to apply fragrance but unfortunately a lot don't.

Catalyst for Men by Halston

Smells like something that belongs on a ham, not on skin. Thumbs way down.

15 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2008)

Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne

I was so angry when this was discontinued. I loved this fragrance! I thought this and Claibrone Sport were the best two she ever put out for men (damn all the curves and the bora boras) I was outraged. I would apply this and put on Sergio Soldano Black and everyone wanted to kow what I had on and since I had on two things I smiled and said one or the other never telling them the real truth.

15 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 April, 2008)

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

When Fahrenheit first came out I disliked it and now I still feel the same way and thank the Good Lord I smell it less often but when I do there is no mistaking it. When it first came out every other guy wore it and there was something in the fragrance that was nauseating to me (Lensticus maybe, never heard of that) but oh how I longed to get away from it. And how much they'd spray on and still do. To wear this to an office is to cause panic attacks in co-workers. The smell lingers on elevators and after you've left the room.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I've always loved this fragrance since it came out on on other people. The notes blend very nicely from top to bottom as long as the wearer doesn't apply too much. However, I just can't wear it (gasp, shock). That I can't stand!! It just doesn't smell good on me and doesn't smell like it's supposed too. It smells like a completely different fragrance and not like Obsession at all and I've asked many women their opinion and they've agreed and I've put it on with another guy in the office and it smelled like it's supposed to on him and not on me and I am just sorry I can't wear it because I love this fragrance to no end. Always have, always will. Have a bottle hoping one day that maybe my body chemistry will alter and maybe I can pull it off (my little dream).

Royall Lyme by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

I recall my uncle wearing this as a kid growing up and so I have fond memories of it. I've owned it in the past and still like it although I don't think it has that long of a staying power but it's still overall a great scent. I will take EricM's advise and try St. John's Bay Lime which I've heard of but have never tried.

Individuel by Montblanc

This is a beautiful fragrance and I agree with Mario Justiani about it smelling better than Cristobal. This is one of my favorite fragrances and I look for discounts for it whenever I run low. Wonderful fragrance and I am glad I took others advise and tried it and purchased it. It is unforgettable and I'm constantly complimented on it. Thanks Mont Blanc.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I smelled this and liked it on someone else and will try it on me. It was slightly spicy but since it was early morning it was probably the middle notes I was smelling which were pleasant. Sorta can't wait to see if I can wear this since I don't wear some fragrances I like on others well.

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

So I can't wear Obsession though I wish I could but I can wear this one and it does smell ok good on me. Doesn't seem to have too many complicated notes in it but what notes are in it smell pretty good on my skin and that's good enough for me. Not CK's best by any means but I'll wear it on occassion.

15 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 July, 2008)

Ignition by Lomani

This is the one of the few scents that I have ever enjoyed after learning it had anise in it. I love this scent and although more and more me are wearing it now you still don't smell it as much as mainstream fragrances which is still a good thing. Would recommend it to anyone and it's something that smells good on me too.

sensi's avatar

Ghana Ghana

Antaeus by Chanel

Antaeus is a remarkable scent and since 1990 when i first experienced its elegance it has been my all time favourite. A true classic.

FloatingPoint's avatar

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

Repulsive yet intriguing, like a car accident. I wouldn't wear this on its own, but it might work layered with another citrus to tame that 500-pound gorilla of a basil note.

EDIT: I gave this a second chance and my feelings have taken a complete 90-degree turn from neutral to positive. The opening lime-basil accord is fresh, brilliant, distinctive, and absolutely perfect for warm weather. Yes, it does smell vaguely like some kind of Thai salad, but Thai salad smells delicious, making this a sort of gourmand fragrance, though one quite different from the usual chocolate and vanilla suspects. It softens and warms considerably during the dry down, where the high quality ingredients get to reveal themselves fully. Surprisingly good longevity, moderate sillage.

I am reminded yet again that one truly needs to live with a fragrance for a while to appreciate its quality (or lack thereof).

15 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2008)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

V/S for Men by Versace

I like this one! I was expecting a royal mess considering the reviews, but this isn't half bad. The initial spray was veryvery close to Paul Smith Extreme, and it stays close to this scent with the following difference: Paul Smith Extreme has a very powdery nature that can be too soft for a man. V/S instead comes off as the more refined, almost edp version of Paul Smith Extreme that is more suit or tux instead of jeans or jersey. It also has a coolness that hands around forever. In the background, there is a slight, (really slight) lanvin L'Homme/Society for men/Chic by Herrera in there. It's well done. I would recommend it for hot weather, and a heavy application is permissible.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

G7 Bold by Gap

Don't bother. It's almost like there is no scent. Fresh, minty, recalls Jil Sander's Sander for men in the weired slanted bottle with the black cap except G7 Bold has a sweeter, bluer tinge. Will do well as a room spray.

odysseusm's avatar

Forest Rain by Scentsational of Huntington

Forest Rain by Scentsational of Huntington
    “Lush and green like a tropical forest.” (from Scentsational website)
    I’m sampling an oil-based fragrance, so it is mellow and persistent. Forest Rain has an exceptionally lovely opening: very green, somewhat spicy. What do we have here: galbanum, clary sage, basil? It is round, no harsh edges, rich without being heavy. The drydown is dusky, slightly sweet. Clary sage may be combining with blond tobacco leaf or some other hay note (perhaps vetiver). The drydown continues to get more mellow and sits close to the skin. This is a chypre, it reminds me quite a bit of Sous les Vent, a limited edition scent by Guerlain. Quite nice.

odysseusm's avatar

Le Vainqueur by Rancé

Top: Mediterranean citrus fruits, melon, watermelon
    Mid: ginger, nutmeg, sea breeze, jasmine, lily of the valley, lavender, geranium
    Base: leather, iris wood, ambergris, musk (from Rancé website)
    This is an attractive, modern-style scent with a hint of history. Like others, I doubt that this is what Napoleon would have worn. The summery-fresh-marine note is very contemporary. The opening has citrus and melon fruit notes which are pleasant, not sweet, classy, and well blended. The melon adds quite an interesting aspect. Then some woody spices emerge and combine effectively with various floral notes. At this point the scent is complex, and it is difficult to pick out individual elements. The drydown has a restrained and sophisticated treatment of potentially rich ingredients (leather, ambergris, musk). These gradually deepen and have a lovely, even haunting quality. It is this last phase that has the best claim to historical roots. What we have here is an intriguing combination of new and old. I like it.

nokomom's avatar

Missoni Acqua by Missoni

Latex paint and melons. Complex but strange none the less.

(It is an interesting though I could never wear it unless I was bound for a David Lynch screening.)

marbert's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I have correctly understood? It has returned?! More recently it was on sale on 500-700$ - now EVERYWHERE is on sale on 30 $... I can shout HURRAH?! I love Red... LOVE...

fusion's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

This is a wonderful fragrance I don't have any complaints last up to 8hrs on me gets me tons of compliments this is sure to stay in my collection with a back up in the waiting a definite thumbs up.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

If I could only wear one scent for the rest of my life, it would be Bulgari PH. Not because it's mind boggling out there, but because it's quietly good.

There wouldn't be a moment in my life when I couldn't imagine wearing Bulgari PH, which probably this scent and me just match.

It smells like fresh sparkly citrus on a transparant peppery-woody-musk base, with tea in the background. It's superb.

15 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 April, 2010)

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

After many glowing reviews of B*Men, claiming it to be a better, less extreme, less sweet version of A*Men, I had high hopes for this fragrance.

Unfortunately, my hopes were dashed when I actually sampled B*Men. There's a lot of spice and herbs going on here, plus a note that makes me a bit nauseous, which is of course a no-no for a fragrance. Apart from some sweetness and being categorizable in the 'gourmand' corner, I also don't know how B*Men would be related to A*Men.

I like A*Men, I'll pass on B*Men.

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Ouch, I'm not sure I like this one. It smells very, very generic. It smells like Cool Water no. 109240 Summer Flash Freeze You edition. Jacques Cavallier probably did this scent in his lunch break. I feel no relation whatsoever with the original Bulgari Aqua, which you may like or not, but at least it was very original with its salty, seaweed feeling.

There's supposed to be some poseidonia in Aqua Marine as well, but I can't find it. It's also not briney, like the original Aqua. All I smell is a lot of calone. It's sweet, floral and a little woody in the drydown. A very generic aquatic.

Sillage and longetivity are incredible though. I sprayed some on my gym clothing and 3 workouts later I still smell it. Time for washing, I suppose.

15 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2008)

nthny's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

After reading about this a hundred times I was finally able to experience it first hand and it's no joke: This is the smell of Catholic Church incense. I just played the opera Tosca and there's a scene where the alter boys come out and swing incense around the stage and I actually wore Avignon to the last concert, and sniffing the smoky air and then my arm, I notice little to no difference in the scent experience. It's a hot, dry smell, and there is nothing of the Catholic Mass incense experience that Avignon is not. And the genius of Avignon exists in its ability to create a fragrance texture that until now I'd not experienced: dry and scratchy. It's so remarkable that these scent molecules can paint such a realistic picture, leaving me almost parched, that I'm left perplexed and awestruck each and every time I experience it. I used to confuse the idea of incense with Nag Champa, the colorfully sweet incense of India, but Avignon is the opposite of sweet. It's a somber woody incense, gray, and perhaps a little wistful -- a little lonely, and dry as a bone, like walking into a hot wooden sauna before water has been sprinkled onto the rocks. It's VERY realistic, not particularly beautiful, a little brutish, rather austere, yet not completely unapproachable. This is a very special fragrance indeed.