Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

chaoskitty's avatar
    chaoskitty

Cornubia by Penhaligon's

I love this scent. I only bought it on a whim, but I ended up wearing it on my wedding day, and everytime I wear it I can't stop sniffing my wrists.
    On me though clearly a spicy oriental smell the most emphasised notes are the vanilla and heliotrope. It is pretty sweet, but absolutely beautiful.

Héliotrope Blanc by Piver

Lovely take on heliotrope -- enfolds you in it's warmth. A man could easily pull this off -- I mean the Etro version is 'unisex' and this retails at a third of the price for 100ml. Les Senteurs have it along with a few others from Piver.

Highly recommended!

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

It's sweet alright -- don't get any petrol smell though, just a beautiful waft now and again . Lasts forever! I think it's only produced in 100ml now and rumours of it being discontinued are strong.

Indulge!

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Ummm -- Lemon and Grapefruit -- Lovely and refreshing opening with the mint not far behind gives a nice kick. Really nice for the warmer months and will purchase again along with Bahiana for this summer. Longevity and sillage both good on me.

Is this the same house who produced Opium PH?

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

It's horrible -- wouldn't even use it as a room spray. Comes on really harsh and synthetic with a sort of sour spice aroma, then settles into vanilla, but still the sourness persists. I suppose you could call it edgy or difficult and I'm all for that sometimes -- but it's just plain unpleasant. Could be used if dropped in hot water and inhaled when you have a cold.

From a House that brought us Live Jazz and M7 Fresh, it's hard to fathom.

02 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2008)

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

Lovely fresh vetiver cologne with a touch of sweetness. It lasts all day on me with a liberal splash. Really good value also, which is saying something from CDG.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Big, thick smokey sweetness -- the best from SL that I've tried anyway and there are subtle changes happening on the journey -- variations of silky smokey spices. Really lovely to wear -- longevity excellent on me.

Roberto Cavalli Black by Roberto Cavalli

This is one dark sexy beast that keeps giving. Nicest take on amber I have come across. Not groundbreaking, but after previous offerings -- it's like stumbling over a gold bar.

Play by Comme des Garçons

There's been a lot of harsh words said about 'Play' elsewhere, but I find the inital citrus burst lovely with the orange/lime mellowing out nicely to a more spicy/citrus drydown. It is probably the most accessible and easy to wear of their range and is not really 'edgy', but the projection is hot, along with the aroma. Lasts all day!

Beetroot by Demeter Fragrance Library

This smells like a sweeter and lighter version of Earthworm, which I personally love. It has an earthy and more of a plant smell than Earthworm, but it gets quite faint rather fast.

Earthworm by Demeter Fragrance Library

This scent is one of my favourites, it is deep and warm, with a pleasant moist dirt and leaves smell, with somewhat of an incense smell to it. As offensive as one could imagine this scent to be, it has a very alluring smell to it, perfect for a crisp fall day, but I personally would rather wear it much more often than that.

Cotton Candy by Demeter Fragrance Library

Definitely a sweet and fruity cotton candy smell, however it is very short lived. For this common [and hard to mess up] scent, I'd go to cheaper brands and stick to the more unique one-of-a-kind scents that Demeter is well known for.

chocolateguy's avatar
    chocolateguy
    Vietnam Vietnam

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

A new wonderful scent from Burberry. Young, dareful, unique, modern yet luxury. Totally diffirent from all previous Burberry scents.

ComDiva's avatar
    ComDiva

Attar by Montale

Notes: (according to Luckyscent): Mysore sandalwood, Bulgarian roses. Some say there is also oud.

I like this one very much. A true rose that isn't sweetened with anything but itself, and the sandalwood simultaneously rounds it out around the edges and gives it depth and nice grounding. If there is oud in there, it's very subtle (which makes me wonder whether it's in there, oud being what it is), and lovely. Overall a simple, elegant, and very classy rose.

03 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2008)

Indie_Guy's avatar
    Indie_Guy

Eau de Badian by L'Occitane

I enjoy anise fragrances and this one is very good and it smells completely natural. My mother and grandmother would often make Italian anise cookies called "pizzelles", and I loved those growing up. This reminds me very much of those cookies. When I was in the L'Occitane store trying their fragrances, there was an attractive married woman who was watching me-- she was curious as to what fragrance to get her husband. I would try each fragrance on my skin, and then this woman would give her opinion. When I got to the Eau du Badian, she grabbed a hold of my arm firmly and didn't want to let go. It definitely met her approval! I have noticed that this does seem to be a bit weaker and shorter lived than I'd hoped. It doesn't have a lot of musk/fixatives in the base, and as such it feels more like an Eau de Cologne than an Eau de Toilette-- not a problem though, because for many situations I prefer a cologne to have modest sillage. It does smell great. Aside from the wonderfully prominent anise note, Eau du Badian is also a good grapefruit scent. I also heartily recommend the Eau du Badian shower gel. I've often wondered what all was in this scent, and I've just seen the list of notes for the first time-- I can definitely smell the maté and green tea. But the anise is tops.

Now I need a Harvey Wallbanger!

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

La Rose de Rosine by Les Parfums de Rosine

This rose is fresh, lush and clear, with accents of candied violet dancing off each petal! A stand out among a multitude of rose fragrances. I like it particularly for its' non-cloying authenticity ~ Thumbs up for sure!

Or des Indes by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Bal a Versailles' rich older sister, with opoponax added and more sandalwood for sheer exoticism and more complexity. Also a distant cousin of Shalimar.

Truly one of the most beautiful leathery, powdery dry-downs in the fragrance world. Easily unisex -- I have no earthly idea why MPG ever labeled it as a "women's" frag in the first place.

Tiffany by Tiffany

This gem would be staid at best (and downright prim at worst) were it not for the gorgeous fruit notes that lift it up and away from many other traditional, woody florals of the same type.

Polge did a wonderful job here balancing the fruity and the floral, and, in doing so, managed to create a lovely frag. That said, it pales in comparison to Tiffany for Men which, IMHO, ranks as one of his greatest creations ever.

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

For some odd reason, VW for Men "feels" like a frag that might have been blended three decades ago rather than one (or less than one) -- very elegant use of sandalwood and leather in this juice, but a bit formal and stuffy.

VW is great for office wear and even formal occasions, but, IMHO, is probably NOT the best choice for "jeans and t-shirts" sorts of days. All in all, an elegantly blended affair that's well worth the money.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Bizarre but beautiful concoction that puts me very much in mind of Thierry Mugler's Angel. A deep, chocolate-drizzled floral gourmand that is way too feminine on my skin, but definitely a creation to be admired from afar -- I can certainly see why this one has its ardent devotees.

Cuir d'Oranger by Miller Harris

I agree with pluran -- this sexy leather frag is easily related to Tabac Blond, but considerably more masculine. The oakmoss moves it into the realm of the bad boy, granted, but there's still a formality here in spite of the leathery/orange-y sexiness. (I would feel just as comfortable putting this on for the board room as for the boudoir.)

I haven't yet sprung for a bottle, no, but am making my decant last as long as humanly possible. Along with Noir Epices (one of my all time favorites), Cuir d'Oranger is one of the very best orange-heavy frags ever made, IMHO.

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Gorgeous frag -- really what Prada for Men wanted to be and/or should have been. Sweet amber lovers, beware though -- this is seriously sweet territory here.

Balanced, complex dry-down that's vaguely reminiscent of Egoiste and Prada alike, but with a powdery note (the iris, perhaps?) that makes me keep smelling my wrist all evening, long after the spicy heart notes have died down.

I've read that this is Rufus Wainwright's signature scent, and that makes me like this little puppy all the more.

Goldleaf / Goldleaf & Hydrangea by Thymes

Warm, soft and powdery -- literally "feels" golden in the nose. Goldleaf is The Thymes' best seller, and I can't believe that this ultra-feminine classic doesn't get more play here on Basenotes.

Btw, guys, it's not just for the gals -- you can enjoy a full range of Goldleaf home scenting products (e.g., candles, sprays etc.) without spritzing on the juice itself.

Olive Leaf by Thymes

Warm and dry fragrance for fans of olive notes, with just a touch of pepper in there to break up the monotony. Great (albeit fairly linear) frag for the office or classroom.

Nice range of home scenting products available in this frag, too -- I like that about The Thymes and its full range of mdse.

Linden Blond Tabac by Voluspa

Clever affair with crisp citrus top notes and a powdery, slightly floral dry-down. Still, the longevity issue rears its ugly head here -- as it does with all of Voluspa's edt offerings. I find that this one lasts no longer than one hour on my flesh.

I think I'll just keep buying the candles in this one. Still, I have to do the right thing and give the fragrance itself a thumbs up.

Mignonette by Voluspa

Gorgeous concoction -- easily my favorite of the Voluspa line thus far. Longevity doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with this one as it is with other Voluspa edt's, no, but I still find Mignonette lacking in the longevity department.

Wonderful use of fruit notes here, btw. Mignonette is really too feminine for me to wear out in public, so I think I'll just stick to the candle versions to appreciate this frag. I wish that Voluspa would create a men's frag (for home and body alike), or at least one that had some real "teeth" to it (and longevity). I see a lot of potential here, though.

sucrose's avatar
    sucrose

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

When I first sampled this, I thought it was nice and moved on, and the sample sat in a box for months. But once I had a chance to give this fragrance a good spray, I appreciated it much more. What seemed a little weak or bland in the sample vial becomes gorgeously natural and subtle when sprayed. It is a bright vetiver but also a smoky, and of course there are beautiful salty overtones. The citrus is very toned down; it doesn't feel like a generic cologne. Instead, it feels natural and raw. This fragrance is genderless to me.

And can I add that the perfumer is CELINE ELLENA, not her father as is listed in the directory? Let's give the lady her due.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Black Aoud by Montale

The opening has a medicinal character to it; I find it tolerable, but can’t say that I enjoy it. Thankfully it passes soon enough and the subsequent development is sensual, dark and mysterious. The rose develops beautifully. It develops and tempers the oud. It stays constant for hours; but I can’t say that it tires me. Great sillage and longevity. Recommended.

ozkat's avatar
    ozkat

Dolly Girl Bonjour L'Amour by Anna Sui

Just adore this one. It's fruity, juicy and sweet, but grown-up. It's not a teenage mall-girl scent. It has a tart edge and its presence is glorious but not overpowering. A really wonderful summer fragrance.

germanomio's avatar
    germanomio
    France France

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

a kind of supreme elegance from past times
    a dandy's perfume

one must dare wearing it, surely more difficult to wear than Jicky with which MDM shares many notes
    one of the most magnificient fougere ever created, light and fresh, slightly animalic due to civet (i guess that nowadays it's synthetic civet) with a powdery drydown
    ten thumbs up for me !