Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

irish's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Jovan White Musk for Men by Jovan

This is one the reasons I keep smelling drugstore fragrances. Every now and then I will find a nice surprise clean, easy to wear, very unisex and very skin-like, though a bit synthetic.

irish's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

The world was note prepared to smell this... This may be appreciated by some basnoters but in general it is seen as "way too Floral". IMO, this is an excellent scent, just some years ahead of its time.

Petitgrain's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Shortly, the most beautiful Chanel what I felt once!!! His indescribable fineness is charmed prompt. I am the prisoner of this fragrance.

jenson's avatar

India India

Rochas Lui by Rochas

luxury redefined..literally. a huge neroli based scent..more like dirtied up neroli. it;s sweetned by lot of wood notes and is presented in an woody/oriental structure. lasts whole day and is excellent for formal or semi formal wears. for those who like Baldessarini concentrate, gucci ph kinda scents, this one's right up the alley. This one is floral at heart and woody on the outside.

15th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 18th August, 2009)

jenson's avatar

India India

Style In Play by Lacoste

think of it as the most unique lacoste scent out there...style in play opens up with a blunt smooth fruity accord with the cedar note waiting to burst forward. it has tht effervescent (bubbly) effect thruout its life on skin...its an excellent summer scent and has very good staying power. i find it very unique and appealing, nothing out there that matches this one. careful with the application though.

wtb's avatar

Basala / Basara by Shiseido

Dark, devilish, dangerous, dashing and daring... all in a wonderous concoction that will really give the wearer and it's female beholders goosebumps upon contact!!! It will be a longtime staple in my collection... however long perfumeemporium.com keeps it... LOVE IT!!!

wtb's avatar

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

This is the best blind-buy i've ever owned in life! The berries, patchouli, and pipe tobacco notes in particular is what really got me going wild with glee upon wearing it in the most special of occasions with my lovely girfriend. This has classic written all over it in due time... count on it!

jimbo303's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

The fragrance that I always come back to. A girl told me that she loved it, describing it as smelling like a baby, and yet masculine at the same time. A winner this one.

hubert delauney's avatar

Chant D’Arômes by Guerlain

I agree with Ayala's review 100% delicate sweet and gardenia for those who cannot normally wear it. very gentle.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Chocolate Greedy by Montale

I just tried a sample of this & I must admit this is THEE BEST CHOCOLATE scent on the market! It is dark but light at the same time! Angels Amen CANNOT compete with this piece of heaven. The name fits it well & you will be amazed with the longevity! Well on me it last a whole day. I will be buying a nice size bottle of this. Here are Chocolate Greedy Notes.moka bean, bitter orange, cacao cream, vanilla from Madagascar

Maximiliani's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Lily by Comme des Garçons

I bought a sample of this scent in hopes that it would be "green" enough for myself to wear, going by the comments of it being unisex, but when I received my sample it was a bit too floral, but not in a bad way, as it is a most wonderful scent. It's very zen.

There is most certainly a sharpness to the scent that certainly does evoke the smell of some miscellaneous white lily by a pond but not in a essential oil kinda way, there is something there keeping the floral in check, and the resulting balance creates something that is unusually "natural" without it being "natural". The only way to describe it's composition I guess is similar to that of Scandinavian furniture design: clean, straight horizontal lines, little embellishment, and
    My sample gets a happy ending however, I gave it to my mom and she's really enjoying the sample.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Very manly scent. I do get the barbersol effect here as well. It's a little salty and sharp smelling at first but then dries down to something more subdued but still perfectly masculine. Pluses: Your girlfriend or SO will NOT be borrowing this scent, but she will love it on you. Minuses: You smell like you just came out of a barbershop (not really a minus in my book, but that's the closest thing to a minus I could think of)

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Froot loops? Yes please!!! Bought this one blind off of the reviews, one of my best blind buys to date. It is a little smokey after it dries down a bit. Fresh but dark, fruity yet classy. Made me appreciate the original M7 more, but I still won't wear it. For me this is the perfect version of M7.

achillesg's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

Maybe this product was a "hall of famer" to the industry. Much like Blondie occupies a prominent position in the history of rap.

But I'm not going out an picking up any Blondie discs in the near, nor distant, future, nor would I buy this product unless I was curating for a perfume museum.

The product does not have an unpleasant smell. But neither does Brut or
    British Sterling. I would rate the odor somewhere below Aqua Velva, which I consider to be a sort of Mendoza line in the world of fancy smells.

Unlike "Unforgivable", this product won't offend anyone if it is not overapplied.

If you want to end a meeting or a bad date very quickly, a few shots of Unforgivable will do the trick. You can't do that with Cool Water, so Unforgivable may actually have more utility due to its extreme antisocial properties.

(I apologize for the Unforgivable digression, but I tested it two days ago and I'm just now getting completely rid of the one vile blast to the wrist. That one blast survived two showers and a Macbethian + surgeon's scrubbing. Stock up on the tomato juice before pushing that button!)

Cool Water was a great concept for 1988, and if you're stuck in a late 80s time warp, then this stuff will be perfect for you. Enjoy.

Seasons Greedings by The Goth Rosary

The Seasons Greedings is interesting with definite sweetness. But unfortunately the smell of pines seems synthetic producing more of a pine-sol type smell in the background.

Vanilla Hell by The Goth Rosary

If you took vanilla cream and set it on fire, the resulting bubbling brown sugar remains is what this would smell like. Slightly heavy with caramelized sweetness, it's actually quite pleasant to wear. Perfect for those that are looking for a somewhat darker vanilla scent.

Gothic Rose by The Goth Rosary

Gothic Rose has a deep dark scent that's associated with roses that many other rose fragrance can't capture properly. It's actually quite refreshing for a change. The scent stays heavy and close to the skin, which unfortunately makes it so that it is actually hard to smell unless you're nose is right in it.

Jemimagold's avatar

Diorama by Christian Dior

Diorama is one of the few fragrances that have left me speechless at first sniff. Another was her cousin, vintage Diorling. In fact, I looked down at my Diorama edt sample again to make sure that I was not smelling the Leather Goddess that is vintage Diorling. Anyways, the white floral notes of tuberose and jasmine came classily strolling out along with a hint of leather. Then emerged just a tiny smidgen of spices (saffron and/or cumin perhaps, but only a minuscule amount) all luxuriously wrapped in full fat, creamy, honest-to-God fresh butter. My words cannot do this fragrance justice. All I can say is that by the end of the 3rd hour, Diorama had dried down into a luxurious buttery floral leather scent that is simply hands-down gorgeous. I would adore to own a bottle of this!

Jemimagold's avatar

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

If you want to smell like one of those sickly sweet jellied orange candies in the shape of an orange slice, Bond No. 9's Little Italy is for you!

If, on the other hand you enjoy wearing an orange scent but want something more complex and sturdy, I would recommend Editions Frederic Malle's Bigarade Concentree. Or, if you like idea of a light fruity citrus scent, Apothia's Velvet Rope certainly has more pizazz.

Lady from Philadelphia's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

After all of Ellena's journeying through Egypt for lotuses and green mangoes, I was anxious to try this scent. It was a disappointment, then, to discover that, on me, it smelled like the urine of someone who has eaten a large quantity of grapefruit--rind and all. I waited, and a half-hour or so later, a marshmallowy note (the lotus, maybe?) replaced the stinky grapefruit--and promptly disappeared.

LuckySe7en's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

Aside from the bottle looking like an awkwardly pointy phallus, this is a great cologne that definitely is a hit with the women. Not overly sweet or cloying, but if you prefer lighter/warmer non-spicy scents, this should be a definite buy.

bitsiesbeads's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

Shalimar is like coming home to me. I have many different perfumes, but when I want to feel soothed, sexy, and special, I wear Shalimar. It's warm richness, confidence, and distinctness is a little bit of heaven.

bitsiesbeads's avatar

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I absolutely love this fragrance. I have always been a fan of amber and have tried many different kinds. I received a small vile of this as a gift. I wore it to dinner one night, and two complete strangers told me that I smelled wonderful. Two of my friends asked me what I was wearing and wanted to know where they could buy some. I love L'eau D'Ambre also, but I think the Extreme is richer and sexier (at least on me). I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of amber. I would recommend that someone who is unfamiliar with amber and is just curious about it try the L'eau D'Ambre first, but for true amber lovers, like me, this stuff is heavenly. I even spray myself and walk around sniffing my wrist just because it smells so good. I also think L'Artisans creates some of the finest fragrances I have ever tried.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Sweet, yet strong perfume. Not something I would personally use unless I'm in the mood to smell like chocolate, caramel, vanilla and coffee. A lady puller for sure.

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

A very light, lemony, summery scent. As a previous reviewers stated, the dry down and the white musk notes leaves a bit to be desired but apart from that, a nice light scent for a few hours in the sun.

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

Works well on me and great for business related meetings. Not much of a lady puller but it does get a guy noticed.

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

The performance of this perfume varies greatly with skin chemistry. The perfume while nice to wear at night, could have used a bit more weight as I find it a bit too light.

Bazar Homme by Christian Lacroix

The grapefruit notes may be a bit too strong for a few noses but I quite like it. It may not be the perfect scent for the school or the office as it maybe over powering for those with sensitive noses.

Great lasting power and a definite lady puller makes this a perfect evening/night time fragrance.

Touch of Pink by Lacoste

The scent verges on the point of being too sweet but since it can pull a fair amount of ladies, it gets a thumbs up.

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

While wearing it in the UAE (Middle East,) I found a rather favorable response from the citizens.
    The mandarin notes were quite pleasant as well.