Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

MillesimeMan's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

I like Chanel Allure Homme. It's crisp and clean, warm and sexy. It smells like "Vanilla Extract." A beautiful Oriental fragrance. I like the After Shave Moisturizer, too.

MillesimeMan's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

I love Himalaya. It contains a cool top note of Grapefruit with warm base notes of Tonkin Musk and Ambergris. It smells like "incense burning on a cold winter night. Snow on the ground, stars in the sky." This is my favorite Oriental fragrance.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I really like this cologne, amazing. It's definitely not your typical smelling cologne which is what I love about it. I was about to get some Curve but I'm very happy that my Mom coaxed me into getting some Fahrenheit. It's a warm fragrance which describes the bottle, a red/orange bottle.

Axe Unlimited / Lynx Unlimited by Axe / Lynx

Pretty good, at least it was before I discovered actual cologne. I got the shower gel and the can. It's a very safe cologne and smells very basic.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Great scent. It's not like anything I've smelled before. It unfortunately doesn't last long on me unless I spray it on my clothes. But then again, nothing lasts long on me... :[

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

It's a great cologne with a great price. I don't believe it's anything like Fahrenheit since I can compare them to each other (I have both). But it's still kind of smells generic to me...

dusk's avatar

Amor Amor by Cacharel

I dislike the citrusy topnotes in this one, but I'd buy this just because the drydown is so sensual and gorgeous.

figsfolly's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

UGH! I was excited to receive this fragrance but so disappointed upon smelling it on! Initally I thought I might like it, as the top notes had some exotic drama to them, but these quickly dryed down to a cheap "State Fair" smell that I find positively repulsive. Actually, "State Fair" combined with a tacky Atlantic City boardwalk smell. How unfortunate. Worse yet, it is long lasting, so I am stuck with the scent. No, no, no, it's not a scent to fall in love with at all. Hmmm, perhaps Creed is all hat and no cattle..... me thinks?! Way overpriced and so not original. In a word, Yuck!

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Epice Sauvage by Ayala Moriel

Bold, crisp and dry SPICE is the essence of this fragrance. Has an incense type of dryness but of warm spice. There is no heaviness as in some earthy spice perfumes or spice orientals, but the rose keeps it friendly and the cedar base keeps it light and woody. Comforting, mellow, but crisp spice is the theme all through. Comparisons have been made to Noir Epices from Frederic Malle, as are appropriate due to its nature, but this spice is so much better! Well done Ayala! One of my favorite warm masculine fragrances.

Cardinal by Heeley

Cardinal is Catholic Church incense all the way… Until I tested Cardinal, I thought that Passage d’Enfer was the best representative of the old Roman Catholic Church, and Passage d’Enfer STILL is the best representative IF one is looking at the total ambiance of the church service: The lilies are the clincher for Passage d’Enfer keeping the Catholic title. But if we consider just the incense, Cardinal wins hands down. Cardinal is Avignon light, and it opens strongly with full-on incense that has that unmistakable resinous frankincense bite to it … it is like being there walking down the church’s main aisle alongside the swinging censor as I had done hundreds of times in my youth. In the background to the incense is a trace of vetiver and amber, but the lasting tone of the fragrance is incense all the way. Cardinal is masculine, it is linear, it is quite long lasting, and it is very wearable – more wearable than Avignon, which is darker and heavier and not as adaptable as Cardinal.

JaimeB's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Mysteriously floral and resinous at the same time, this combines the African karo karounde flower with frankincense and myrrh; it supports these with earthy vetiver and patchouli and crowns it all with spicy pink pepper and green notes of mango and papyrus. Unexpected combinations reveal Bertrand Duchaufour's art. This is an uplifting and cheerfully mellow scent, great to wear when you want to feel good.

rasputin's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

I had forgotten that No. 5 debuted before Guerlain SHALIMAR (1925), because No. 5 definitely smells more "modern" to my nose.

People say they don't "get" No. 5.... I feel that No. 5 is all about that urinaceous musk note in the base, and all the other notes are simply the dazzling camouflage leading to the unveiling of the musk...

No. 5 smells like a woman who bathed herself, powdered herself, and peed herself, in that order.

What's amazing about No. 5 is its curiously "vacant" quality.... there are so many notes going on in this fragrance, yet they combine to form a scent which is none of its components; rather, it's a kind of diaphanous veil....

Perhaps the masterstroke of No.5, IMHO, is that vetiver in the base... it is a kind of stern resiny-woody quality which imbues great serious to the overall fragrance.

One thing which must be said about No. 5 is, it always surprises. Everytime you catch a whiff of it on yourself or others, there is always that initial surprise; "Oh! What IS that?" And any fragrance which can command that response is well on its way towards being a classic.

I have long thought that the powder note in CHANEL No. 5 is a dead-ringer for DESENEX Foot powder. I cannot retract that critique, because it most certainly does smell like DESENEX... Or maybe it's vice-versa....

Another interesting quality in No. 5 to me, is that curious middle-note, which to me, smells something like salted butter, or buttered popcorn. Or maybe even roasted cashews. It's a totally unexpected salty-sweet buttery note--- it smells 'horizontal' to me, whilst all the other qualities in No. 5 smell 'vertical' to me!---- which provides the gateway to the basenotes....

Stu's avatar

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

It must smell better on others obviously because this doesn't do anything on my skin and I've tried it several times. I'm one of those people, I guess most of us are really, where something either smells good on you or it doesn't. It's not a bad smell at all but it doesn't do anything for my skin. I can smell the apple, cinnamon and so on but they aren't awe inspiring on my skin, just not good on me. I actually wish I could wear more fragrances than I can but I'm one of those people that loves a lot of scents but can't wear many of them because they don't smell right on me.

Duncan's avatar

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Nasty, nasty terrible stuff. You don't want it on your skin and merely spraying it into the atmosphere causes it to hang for quite some time. A stomach-churning synthetic pine disaster. Eh, you may like that so get it.

baubo's avatar

Vierges & Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

The glass sample I received by mail was shattered, so I salvaged as much as I by rubbing the soaking wet wrapper on my skin - not ideal. The consequence of this was a memory from 30 years ago; 'what the hell is it?'- Mystere de Rochas.
    I can't get beyond that.

kharisma92's avatar

Blue Agava and Cacao by Jo Malone

This is great if you want to walk around smelling like a hershey candy bar.....I'm not feeling this one.

scentsitivity's avatar

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

Most clean smelling scents suffer from either feeling cheap or synthetic. Mark Birley is neither. It feels very classy, very clean and very natural on my skin. Dignified (like Penhaligon’s Blenheim Bouquet), but with a measure of warmth not found in Blenheim. The notes, per Luckyscent, are: sandalwood, cedar, patchouli, musk, vetiver, carrot seeds, leather, lemon, bergamot, mandarin, violet, incense. It has an airy quality and I think carrot seeds are likely to be a help here. Not especially long-lived, but quite pleasant.

scentsitivity's avatar

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love the scent of pineapple, so I thought Ananas Fizz to be worth a try. The opening gives the impression of a fizzy pineapple cocktail, but fades and what remains is rum-tinged cedar. Cedar becomes dominant to my nose, and I feel a bit disappointed to have been transported from the beach to the cedar chest! It strikes me as an odd direction for the fragrance to evolve. Interesting, but not something I would wear.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

In my opinion this fragrance is timeless a wonderful scent from beginning to end I enjoy wearing it and everyone around me enjoys smelling me this fragrance has no flaws a definite thumbs up.

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

This is actually a very nice scent, I was surprised because of the other curve disasters. Soul is a very nice fragrance for casual wear nothing special but not bad at all longevity is average 6 to 8 hrs and for the price you can't go wrong a thumbs up.

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

Finally a nice fragrance from RL nicely done smells very nice from beginning to end lasted over 8hrs on me received compliments so a thumbs up

brooklynlou's avatar

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

When I first bought Tabac I hated it. The initial splash smells like cat piss for a few seconds till it settles down. Then the aldehydes kick in and it smells a little like ozone. What saves Tabac is that the second you add some sweat and body heat, the chemical smell of the aldehydes goes away and it smells like clean laundry coming out of the dryer. You begin to respect Tabac once you realize that the stuff was designed in an age absent of deodorants and air conditioning - It smells fresh no matter how hot and ugly it is outside.

Price: Cheap
    Packaging: Nice milk glass bowling pin like bottle.
    Complexity: It smells like clothes out of a dryer. I don't know where people smell leather from.

16 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2008)

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Good medicine! This makes me feel as if I've rolled in a pile of health-giving funky leaves, then drank something warm by a fire. Or maybe sucked on a pastille from a wooden medicine chest filled with aromas. I'm a woman, and don't care at all if this is too 'masculine' for me to wear. I'm getting a bottle!

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I really only get a mineraly orange popsicle here, but I adore it! Perfectly unisex to my mind. Got compliments on how fresh I smelled. Goodish staying power from three tiny tester spritzes, so I would be ecstatic to have a bottle. Why oh why can't we have 10 ml bottles, so ordinary folks could afford these with our exchange rate??
    Edited to add: I much prefer the EDT, the Parfum version focuses much more on the orange note, nearly to the exclusion of all else, is much closer to the skin and somehow much less interesting. Though not badly priced, quite affordable as parfum goes.

16 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 October, 2009)

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

MUST HAVE IT. But it's heartbreakingly expensive, the horror. To me this feels like having just rolled around in a field of jasmine. Not for every day or every situation, by any means, but when I'm feeling girly and expansive, this is what I want. Probably not to be, with the state of our currency...

16 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 May, 2008)

holyjes's avatar

Escada Moon Sparkle by Escada

I felt like a fool for buying this! such an obvious scent, one of those ones made to be sold on the first sniff. A very young rasberry smell--too sweet! I won't make the mistake again of wearing a scent from a fashion house that launches limited editions every single year. If a house is any good at making frags, some will stick around. Thank god someone bought it on ebay!

Zut's avatar

Halston 101 by Halston

I still have the last bottle of Halston 101 ever sold by Bloomingdale's NY! Halston 101 is much too dry for my personal taste but since it is now a collector's item, I keep it as such. I have better results with Pino Silvestre which has a surprisingly similar composition. Those of you who miss Halston 101 could try Pino Silvestre. All the ingredients of Pino were in Halston.

SirSlarty's avatar

Cologne Grand Siècle 07 by Parfumerie Generale

Word of warning: this, while amazing smelling, disappears after 3-4 hours. I supposed it's because of the organic (non-synthetics) that were used. Pros and cons

A zap of citrus woods at the top. This had me! Loving it. I applied it in the morning and around a lunchtime break when things at work had calmed down enough for me to search for the scent I put on earlier. Sadly, it was not to be found.

kopah's avatar

Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Starts with a very pure lavender and transitions gradually into a very pure incense, with nothing else detectable (to me) to interfere. The incense in particular is remarkably faithful to that used at High Mass in my Catholic church. It's a brilliant pairing. I think it might appeal more to fans of incense than of lavender (with Gris Clair a better pick for lavender lovers). A quiet, stately and dignified scent. One of my favourites of the exclusive line.

kopah's avatar

Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I don't care what anyone else says - this smells nothing like Turkish Delight. Maybe Lutens pranked us based on the Arabic translation ([i]rahat al-hulkum[/i], meaning 'contentment of the throat') and made cough syrup instead. This scent never gets past screaming CHERRIES!!! at the top of its lungs, and the cherry shriek sporadically takes on a metallic overtone which is just plain wrong.