Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Mediterraneo by Carthusia

(EDP) - Starts off with a wonderful, juicy lemon that makes me think of the "orange and lemon slices" candies from the supermarket. At times, however, it veers very close to Sunlight dish detergent. Once the lemon is gone, it leaves behind an uninteresting green substructure.

Amorito by Body Shop

A pleasant blend of amaretto and chocolate - reminds me of the chocolate amaretto cheesecake my grandmother makes. Don't take this scent too seriously. I like it for nights out at house parties, or anywhere it's okay for me to smell sweetly delicious. Consider CSP Vanille Amande if you're looking for something that smells more purely like amaretto.

L'Eau de Jatamansi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Starts with a delicious, juicy squirt of grapefruit citrus, but once this fades, it turns into a spice rack. Just yesterday I bought a pack of Djarum Black clove cigarettes, and I literally thought that I had left the package sitting open on my desk before I realized that the smell was coming from my wrist. I'm very surprised that something marketed as a summer fragrance would turn so spicy.

chaoskitty's avatar

Fig, Almond and Cassis by Tesco

I should start my review by mentioning that I hate Tesco, and avoid the loathsome place as much as possible. Unfortunately needs must, and whilst grumping my way around there this week I remembered Wordbird's review and thought I might try some, though my Tesco hatred caused some cynicism. She's right though, it's good. Especially considering the price. A few months back I bought the Berkeley Square Fig and Cherry one at a similar price and much as I love it, the lasting power isn't a patch on this Tesco one.
    It seems to be a one spritz only on me sort of scent, which again surprised me as my skin ordinarily eats about half the scent I put on.
    The fig seems to start off with a bit of bite, but it does warm up and become a bit softer.
    I'll certainly be wearing this one come next winter.

Touch for Men by Burberry

At first, I could not even smell this scent on paper.

Then, I smelled it and hated it. However, I took a sample home because I'm a sucker for that "girls love it" sales pitch

When I sprayed it on myself something completely different happened. This is now my daytime scent and it usually lasts 8-10+ hours on me, but I do have oily skin. Usually people complain about it not lasting long.

I don't mind the floral notes, as it suits my personality anyway.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I'm not an expert, I just love this scent.

It's my nighttime/formal scent. It lasts very long on me.

It just smells a little strong/heavy for me to wear to work.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

This scent works great on me. I don't think it's fair that some people are giving this scent a bad review simply because it isn't "black" or that they saw a lot of ads for this so they feel the need to counter the hype.

I love the smell. If you are thinking about this, try it (on your skin, paper is different) and give it a chance. I don't feel that it is limited to casual use, but that is certainly what I normally use it for.

Jemimagold's avatar

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

I received a sample of 10 Corso Como as a freebie. I tried it on a cool, crisp morning without much in the way of expectations and it totally wowed me! Cedar is the predominant note in 10 Corso Como but it is tempered with sweet sandalwood, musk and light incense. Having mentioned the incense, I must say that I normally find incense off-putting (no Bond Chinatown for me!). However, 10 Corso Como did not have that effect at all. Rather, the incense note was warm and woody, kind of like incense that you might find burning in a sophisticated apartment in Milan in October.

I found 10 Corso Como to be very similar to Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand, only with a bit more warmth and without the pink pepper rush.

In closing, 10 Corso Como is an expensive smelling scent that would be the perfect to wear in the fall, just as the leaves are turning and you snuggle into a Loro Piana cashmere sweater for the first time that season.

Jemimagold's avatar

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

I went to the Ormonde Jayne store in London with my boyfriend and the kind SA gave us a number of samples, including the Isfarkand for him. Well, I must shamefully admit that I have become so addicted to his sample of Isfarkand that I have ordered a full bottle of it for myself.

There is just something about the short intense pink pepper top note that thrills me. The scent then quickly dries into a warm, peppery, cedary, lime fragrance with a slight bit of vetiver and amber that is refreshing and unique. In short - Isfarkand is fabulous and when wearing it, you will never smell like anyone else.

Kaern's avatar

Un Parfum des Sens et Bois by Different Company

Sometimes words can't do justice, but that's not very helpful here. This is an absolutely wonderful fragrance. The top notes include Chinese cedarwood and black pepper and they mix magically. More notes as it progresses are patchouli, vervain, violet, bergamot and incense -- it is a heady experience. It reminds me very much of Lanvin's Arpege but with an extra spicy kick generated by the peppers and is altogether superior. I believe that in time, this could be in the top 10 of best ever fragrances ever created -- it's that good. Stunning!

Kaern

pydepiper's avatar

L by Lolita Lempicka

L de Lolita Lempicka is a good choice if you're looking for a unique fragrance but not one that's completely, expensively niche. I found it at my local department store easily. I say unique because it really doesn't smell like half the stuff out there. I find that many fragrances, whether they're for women my age (I'm 19) or other age brackets, focus on the floral-fruit-sugar! accord and leave me wanting something, I don't know, a little different. Not TOO different- if I wanted the kind of unique that is analogous to the punk-rock-artist-day-job-physicist-part-time-kitemaker, I'd go niche. But different enough not to be Aquolina Pink Sugar, do you know what I mean? I feel like L de Lolita Lempicka is a orange-yellow-white fragrance, if you can describe smells in colours, while most fragrances are light pink-peach-pale green.

I adore vanilla, so the vanilla drydown of this didn't put me off at all. But the best part of L is the top and heart notes- at first, on my skin I get this burst of citrus-orange-florals and burnt cinnamon that makes me feel like I'm sitting under an orange tree that is shedding its blossoms all around me. Then the bright notes fade off and I get this bright, intense sunlight sensation- like lying on a sunsoaked rock on a Mediterranean beach in full summer. Maybe that's the immortal flower note. This all fades, though, and in the end I end up with a vanilla-slightly-musky sweetness, all white and warm, that leaves me feeling like I'm lying in white sand at the perfect temperature. With cookies.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I hate Lily of the valley with a burning passion (don't know why), so Diorissimo is like an olafactory horrorshow to me.

Dune by Christian Dior

I'm not good describing scents.
    Dune starts off strong and it ends strong. Very earthy. love the woods and the amber in this one

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

Warm and sensual but not very comfy... which is exactly why it's sexy.

Adidas Moves by Adidas

Very clean very fresh, very youtful and very wearable, but no personality whatsover.

Axe Kilo by Axe / Lynx

Very gourmand (strong Vanilla and amber) and woodsy. Probably the most mature out of all the Axes. Not bad. I originally bought this as a bedroom airfreshner but eventually gave it to my brother. Smells much better on skin than in the air. (Figures, since this IS made as a deodorant.)

Island Kiss by Escada

Unbearably fruity and juvenile.
    The passionfruit-esque note and the mango makes me want to gag.

Evelyn Rose by Crabtree & Evelyn

I don't smell the peach in this at all, It's predominately Rose. (And a very elegant rose at that)
    Very wearable. Suitable for 20+

Shanghai Butterfly by Nanette Lepore

There's this slight tea note in the beginning in there that was very lovely, and then it hit the Lily of the Valley note, and I was horrified.

M by Mariah Carey

Surprisingly I like this scent! It's very feminine. At first I thought this fragrance would be nauseatingly sweet because of the marshmallows, but I was amazed. Actually I think its the marshmallows that give the perfume its predominate, moderate sweetness; it also gives the florally redolence of gardenia a kick to it's pleasantness. It's as though these two notes harmonize one to the other. Let me explain: Before smelling M or any other fragrance for that matter, yet being aware that other fragrances had gourmand notes, I thought the smell of them would be absolutely tacky smelling or that they would just overwhelm the natural scents. I could be jumping to conclusions but, now, hopefully, to me most scents with gourmand notes, I like, will just smell like the natural aromas, yet only enhanced by them.
    The design of the bottle is a bit tawdry, but the color of it is lovely. Purple is my most favorite color, especially this deep, bright, lavender hue.

Ralph Rocks by Ralph Lauren

I was very disappointed in this scent. It smelled like nail polish. yuck! I expected this to have a redolence of delicious sweet mouth-watering passionfruit juice and that the note of coconut would smell some-what rich, like smelling the pulp of a real coconut at least 1.5' away! What happened!?
    By the way coconut is one of this fragrances notes listed on beauty websites.

Believe by Britney Spears

On Application This fragrance smells strongly of quite tangy, and sweet guava (which adds nice variedness to the whole redolence of it) at first, but at the same time the delicate nuances of tangerine are not noticeable. Later, among the mid notes there is a sweet and piquant aura (must be the honeysuckle intertwined with the linden blossom which again causes some pleasant variedness) that lingers for the middle note duration (by the way, this is an eau de parfum). After the bottom notes have been dectectable for a few minutes, I noticed an almost smokey woody scent, the name of which I'm not sure, but I liked it combined whith the total scent. To me the bottom notes didn't smell of patchouli, amber or pink pralines.

Overall this fragrance is NOT flatly and cloyingly sweet, and the scent is very well mixed so that it almost smells like a totally new aroma (except for the pungent guava), which I like very much.

odysseusm's avatar

Lem by Galimard

Update: this is a generic, ozonic-fresh scent with a bit of green. No pine, no incense. Perhaps some juniper and rosemary, put through a rather synthetic phase. The minty notes suggest wintergreen toothpaste. The dry-down is a bit powdery. At least it is not heavy and not sweet. Reference points: reformulated Greenbriar (Cassewell-Massey), Molinard Green.
    ---
    Lem... odd name, vaguely sci-fi in tone. Lem is a competently rendered fresh aromatic green scent. It is big, smells a bit budget. Fresh and green, fresh and green, on and on. Hello, I am a green creature from the planet Lem. It is hard to pick out individual elements, in particular I searched for pine (my obsession) but couldn't find it. This is a lot like Grafton by Truefitt and Hill, perhaps not quite as good.

16 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2011)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Happy for Men by Clinique

Well, after all is said and done, this paean to orangey cleanliness makes me feel like taking another shower, just to be on the safe side and brushing my teeth yet again---rather than jumping for joy.
    This juice is rather simple and inoffensive. I can't imagine having the happy reaction I get from wearing Himalaya (Yes!) with this one. In fact it's hard for me to imagine anyone feeling so happy with Happy.

Possible exceptions being:

A) You want to get in touch with your inner child.

B) You really are 12 years old or younger.

C) You're going to the baseball game with your kids.

D) You're a burly sailor with a "Kick Me" tattoo on your back who enjoys barroom brawls by the waterfront, and you're about to smash a pool cue on someone's head.

Or variations of the above.

17 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2009)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

A very pleasant light wood fragrance. The opening lime and mandarin quickly blends with the pink pepper and cedar for a light woody fragrance dusted with nice smelling citrus. Dry and uplifting. There is no darkness or mystery here at all. A little like freshly sharpened pencils. Simple, straightforward, and possibly a little innocent in demeanor. It is very mild in its strength on me as well.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

A truly wonderful incense fragrance. It is lively and fun - not dark or smoke incense but bright temple incense with lively florals mixed with the smoke. I am tempted to imagine that Jubilation XXV was a blending of the light spiritual qualities of Bertrand Duchaufour's CdG Kyoto and the floral tartness of his Timbuktu fragrances. But, I tried a blend of the two and no, JXXV has its own character for sure - more complex. When applied strongly the opening has a slightly erotic feel to it but this quickly leaves as a smokey wood, spcie and floral incense arises from the annointment. Complex but delightful. Another success story in a long series of great incense fragrances by Mr. Duchaufour. My only warning is it is quite light in its presentation. It's lack of strength is a mystery considering that most other incenses from this same perfumer are much longe lasting. But that said, highly recomended for quality of ingredients and development of notes.

17 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 July, 2008)

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Revisiting Drakkar Noir after several years, I was surprised by its strong resemblance to one of my favourite scents - Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green. For that reason alone I have to love it. Bowling Green (which stands comparison with Nicolai's much-praised New York) is perhaps more subtle and sophisticated, but the resemblance between them is striking.
    Clean, green, sharp, and beautiful. Almost sumptuous at times. The trick with Drakkar Noir seems to be not to over-apply it. Let it whisper, not shout. It is certainly superior to supposed competitors/imitators like the aristocratic Duc de Vervins or the proletarian Caesar's Man. It is possibly the equal of Gucci Nobile.
    Come to think of it, I suppose Bowling Green may have been partly influenced by Drakkar Noir. But perhaps that was a case of the pupil surpassing the teacher.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

There is no doubt that Givenchy Gentleman has been reformulated and that there is a significant difference between the old and the new formulae. To my nose, something has been lost in the new formulation and something has been gained.
    What has been lost is the sparkling brilliancy of its opening notes (which were some of the most beautiful in perfumery). The opening notes of the new Gentleman formula are, in comparison, rather drab, toned down, and synthetic, not exactly a yawn, but hardly an invitation to poetry and magic. What has been gained is that that beautiful opening is no longer followed by the pungent aroma of civet which loomed large in the old formula and which I always found a trial rather than a pleasure. Instead, the new formula concentrates on a lingering fusion of woods and patchouli.
    The old and the new formula really do seem to me to be two different scents - but there is a thread of identity between them. You would not, I think, mistake the new one for anything else.

Patou pour Homme Privé by Jean Patou

In the house of Grandmaman, the louvred doors opened onto a cool, clean chamber. Inside, a pile of clothes smelling of cool, clean lavender. Serene, elegant, fine. In the house of Grandmaman. Although Grandpapa wore it also. Translucent dandy. Smooth, balanced, quiet, subtle, soft, crystalline. In the garden, a blue-green pool, fringed by delicate woods and grasses. A pure and magical scent.

Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez

This was the lecture that the Baron de Charlus delivered to the Society of Perfumes in Paris concerning Versailles Pour Homme: "Messieurs and mesdames, this is not so much a rare and discontinued gem, more a case of the Emperor wearing no clothes. It is sad that I, such a kindly man, should find myself forced to prick the bubble of misguided rapture which so many souls have been deluded into adopting towards this fragrance.
    There is about Versailles Pour Homme a certain off-note, a sort of vegetal distemper, possibly belonging to the dusty kitchen garden dreams of pimento or capsicum, that renders it utterly unsuited for more than a median ranking in the realms of fine, spicy gentleman's colognes. Why, in this regard it is surpassed by so many other scents, including the much-maligned Quorum and even, quite possibly, by the brown ruminations of Marbert Man (with which Versailles Pour Homme shares definite affinities).
    You may choose to think that my judgement merely reflects the subjective waywardness of a fractious dilettante. I assure you it does not. What I have just told you is an objective truth about perfumery!"
    The Baron's address so astonished and angered his audience that he was obliged to hurriedly leave the building under a police escort.