Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Renato's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

To my nose, Original Santal does start out smelling a bit like Joop (and what's wrong with that - Joop Homme is a fabulous scent), though it's nowhere near as sharp. But after the top notes disappear, it's resemblance to Joop quickly evaporates.

The notes in the fragrance pyramid above don't correspond to Creed's description at their site, which states,
    "Red Pencil Cedar from Virginia; Benzoin from Thailand; Mandarin from Sicily, plus wild Neroli, Orange Wood, infusion of Vanilla and Ambergris."

I like Original Santal, especially because it has decent enough longevity on me, and doesn't disappear in a few hours like Acer Aluminium, Royal English Leather, Millesime Imperial and Original Vetiver do on me.
    Renato

Sandy's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

From the vax sample I couldn't do justice. One should have a full wearing from at least a decant to see every faces of it. As I'm getting older, my fond memories from my childhood in a nice small village do come back more and more often. This scent brings me back to the autumn evenings where the sweet and sour smell of the burning leaves would find its way to the courts, mixing with the cigarette smoke of my grandfather. There are rosebushes, too, the petals of which evaporating the last molecules of summer.
    The calmness and the relaxation, which we so miss in our speedy everyday life - this can be found if you envelope yourself in this scent.

17 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2008)

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The "Celebutante". The girl who wears this is dolled up and looking for some attention! She chooses her clothing, shoes, hairstyle, handbag, cocktail and lipstick based upon who will be watching! Needless to say, a bit superficial, but still unique and well turned out - a sight of beauty to behold! I like this aldehydic candied rose, but Drole de Rose by L'Artisan comes off with a touch more class.

Jacinthe des Bois by L'Artisan Parfumeur

More jacinthe than bois here...this hyacinth is green, fresh and raw. Much like mother natures's own presentation! If I had less experience with florals, this one would captivate me, but since floral frags do entice this nose - I've smelled Luten's and been spoiled! I'm going to suppose that Anne Flipo created this lovely scent...as her signature is delicate, and I'm reading Jacinthe des Bois as such. If you are in the market for a light, fresh, authentic floral this shouldn't disappoint. This soliflore interpretation is along the same lines as Verte Violette - also from L'Artisan, which I prefer. Thumbs up for a springtime flower ~ well done!

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

THIS IS TUBEROSE! Carnal Flower is one of the most wearable flowers for men...not too sweet, it's actually quite stealth for a delicate flower! In fact, I prefer this one on a man, and suggest Estee Lauder's Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia for a woman. I would love to smell a groom wearing this CF (and his bride wearing ELPCTG!) what a garden wedding!

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

Over the years, Estee Lauder has marketed some fantastic fragrances...Youth Dew, Cinnabar, White Linen, Pleasures, Beautiful, the list goes on endlessly. Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia is undoubtedly one of their finest! This is a high quality-high class floral! It holds it's own up against the likes of Carnal Flower (Editions-Frederic Malle created by Dominique Ropion). For comparative purposes I wore the two together for a side by side testing. Ultimately, CF - being straight forward tuberose, came off to me as decidedly more masculine than PCTG. PCTG possesses the authentic dewy sweetness of a delicate white gardenia flower, which in my opinion pushes this frag into the realm of femininity. Being a Lauder, I expected it to have a good amount of projection and staying power - I was not disappointed! A floral lover's dream, this is a must have - the bigger the bottle, the better!

bront82's avatar

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

Strong and spicy ... makes me think of apple cider. Definitely warm and earthly, I like it, but I don't think I'll be wearing out. Dated? Certainly.

bront82's avatar

Jovan Heat Man - Fired Up by Jovan

If you're a musk lover and you can find this, its worth a sniff. In its Windex style dispenser (I'm sorry, I can't call this a bottle), its Jovan marketed for the now generation. For the money, it could certainly be worse, but I don't find this sweet musk anything but cloyingly synthetic. I wish it were sexy, but it just smells cheap. Also discontinued.

tvlampboy's avatar

Jack Black Signature Silver Mark by Jack Black

Dry, patchouli-laden fougère that really stands out among the JB products I've sampled. If you're a fan of Heritage and/or Cacharel pour Homme, you'll want to give this one a fair shake.

JB Signature almost has an Eighties powerhouse feel about it -- very bold and masculine and not at all what you'd expect from a frag created less than a decade ago.

tvlampboy's avatar

Jack Black Signature Black Mark by Jack Black

First off, neither Black Mark nor Gucci PH have been able to offer me in the way of cedar-based frags what Lalique Equus edt has been able to. Still, I like Black Mark better than PH -- it's creamier and softer and lacks that hard, cedar-y edge that PH possesses.

Like foetidus, I'm not a huge fan of saffron (hence my indifference toward L'Homme Sage as well). Still, I can't help but like Black Mark and appreciate its quality ingredients and clever blending. All in all, a must-try frag for cedar fans who've not yet sampled it.

dalailama1's avatar

Greece Greece

Aigner Man ² by Etienne Aigner

It reminds me strongly Mechant Loup from L artisan Parfumeur.
    Soft delicate scent. I think its fine and could be easily a niche creation.
    Thums up.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Versus Uomo by Versace

A bit dissapointed with this, sounds like you need to have history with it in order to love it. It reminded me of Old Spice original, a lot actually. Much like Gucci Envy...but a lot smoother and more refined. The Gucci weas far too harsh. I really like Old SPice, but it can smell cheap at times. This is a good alternative.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Jivago 24k Men by Jivago

This is weired. It is fresh, it is clean, it can be addictive, it is unlike anything else yet it is instantaneously familiar. It has a slight dirty musky angle that is clean, really clean (oxymoron?) Worth the money for sure, and it is fairly inexpensive on eBay. Can't find the notes anywhere, reminds me a bit of Allure less all the cloying annoyances.

chinu's avatar

India India

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I got this perfume as a gift. After reading the reviews on Basenotes, I didn't know whether I would like it or hate it (the chances of me being neutral about it was remote; at least that's the impression I got from the reviews). So, having received the gift, I decided to open it and smell it.

I had seen pictures of the bottle a number of times on various websites and I knew the bottle looked good. But, when I opened the white outer can and saw the bottle, I was mesmerized by the beauty of that bottle. To me, the bottle is an absolute work of art.

Now came my turn to spray it on me and smell it. I sprayed a very small amount on my wrist, and immediately could smell the orange blossom right away. As the scent of the orange blossom settled down, I could notice a distinct powdery smell. I cannot describe the smell, but I am absolutely in love with it. The longevity is definitely a plus for me as most perfumes don't last too long on my skin. All in all, I would say that FDM is a must buy for any man who wants to stay away from the humdrum fragrances and stand out in a crowd.

distortech's avatar

Insensé Ultramarine Aromatic Ocean - Midnight Swim by Givenchy

Simple and fantastic. I wish I would have bought more of this. I LOVE it!

jenson's avatar

India India

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

100 incense sticks burning inside a 1000 year old tree in a dense dark rainforest forest, without a trace of sunlight...chypre in its trust form...smoky and indulging. very hard to match this once worn over silk shirts in a formal setup during late evenings. monster sillage with amazing staying power. you would love this one right out of the bottle.

wtb's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

A giant in itself!! The true king of fragrance! A sensual wonder that will always get me compliments everywhere I go from the lovely ladies. Guys... jump on it!!

wtb's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

This is one of the best of all the versatile fragrances ever made. Most of all, it's cheap and readily available when needed(by myself of course). A classic in the true sense of the word.

Anthony87's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Innoffensive, cut grass, citrus, 'green' top notes with a dry down to a very pleasant white musk & slight vetiver. Definately good for warmer weather (Australia) or for days when you just want something light, fresh and absolutely pleasant. Smells great right out of the shower. Longevity is a little below average, but that can be solved with over-applying or taking a decant with you. If you can find a bottle cheap, buy it. I have 2 splash bottles, and every time I wear it I'm tempted to go back for a 3rd.

multitasker's avatar

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

I love this one! I read the notes, and I don't really smell any of them distinctly. This one is unique, well blended and unrated in my opinion. (Why does Chinatown get all the attention? Who wants to smell like a pawn shop?) To me, this smells like the county fair (not the 4H tent mind you)--it's cut grass and carmel apple--sitting in the middle of the field, awaiting the 4th of July fireworks. Yum. This is addictive. Unisex.

MrPowers's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Cool Water Summer Fizz by Davidoff

Incredibly fresh & fizzy scent! The deep base of original Cool Water with a lot of citrus notes. As it was mentioned before, it`s not harsh or sharp at all. Unfortunately, longevity is subaverage. This is the best of all Cool Water summer editions so far.

pomeraniansiamese's avatar

Germany Germany

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

Beautiful, splendid warm comforting scent. It always reminds me of my mother's wooden vanity and how amazing this smells on her gorgeous self (and I do mean GORGEOUS, she was a former model). It is just delicious, complex and semi-sweet with an adult sexy sophistication. Imagine Rita Hayworth as Gilda, or Hedy Lamarr in Come Live With Me, this is a very, very special fragrance.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

A typical story: some band launches debut album and shows us all its potential, creativity, strength and unruliness (A*Men). Then some big chief from the music industry notices that band and they sign a contract. After that the band launches second album. They still play great but their music is somehow different now… maybe moderated (B*Men)… and the guys from the band say “our music is more mature now” but YOU KNOW that it is not the music you fell in love with.
    Are A*Men and B*Men similar? Yes, definitely… they are so similar that I like A*Men very much and I dislike B*Men very much. Both, A*Men and B*Men, are gourmand, but A*Men is “chocolate-ish” gourmand and B*Men is “soup-ish” gourmand.
    People from my environment love B*Men quite a lot, especially the young female part of my environment. Their comments are “it smells like a kitchen but it’s sexy, at the same time”, “it wakes up the animal in me”, “I wish every man wore this fragrance”… However I wear it very rarely.
    Please imagine this: You should go out. You are dressed well and you splashed some expensive scent. Then you go into the kitchen where your wife or your mother, never mind, is cooking the dinner. You are staying in the kitchen for a while (10-15 minutes) and you “collect” there the smell of the food. After that you’re ready for a good amusements somewhere in the town. You smell of your scent, but you smell of the food as well. Guess what? Your lucky day has finally arrived. You don’t have to bother anymore; you don’t have to waste your time in the kitchen no more. Just buy B*Men… I did…

Hoos's avatar

Agrumi di Sicilia by i Profumi di Firenze

After trying a number of "citrus" fragrances in search of a refreshing lime scent that had a life longer than ten minutes, I did a blind buy of Agrumi di Sicilia.

The initial notes are strong (lime, grapefruit, and a hint of pepper) and fade to a manageable, fresh citrus in a few minutes. The lime/citrus scent lasts for a couple of hours on the skin and dries down to a woodsy floral that's very nice. It's reminiscent of Acqua di Parma Colonia with a little shaprness to it. The entire life of this fragrance smells natural and is very pleasant.

If you prefer to keep the lime/citrus, those top notes of Agrumi di Sicilia will last all day if applied to clothing.

Sillage is decent: you won't announce yourself by walking into a room, but it doesn't stay right next to the skin either.

Overall, I find this an excellent citrus fragrance with some life. For spring and summer, it's definitely one of the top two in my wardrobe.

Jarling by JAR

You know the taste when you first bite into an Almond Joy (or better yet a "Mounds" with no pesky almond to disrupt things)? That coconutty, almondy, sugary sweetness that briefly makes your teeth ache? Well, that is what Jarling smells like during the very first minute that you apply it. After that, Jarling develops into a lush tuberose fragrance with a hint of cherries of all things. It has a middling degree of sillage. At this kind of price (320 euros/30ml), I would have expected a bit more complexity and lasting power.

After sampling this, I just had to visit the JAR store in Paris (not affiliated). The following is a brief account of my visit:
    No appointments to smell the JAR perfumes at the JAR store on rue Castiglione are necessary, unlike the rules to view JAR’s jewelry line which is sold at a different location. Anyways, you arrive at the JAR store, ring a bell to request entrance and then are ushered by an immaculately dressed man into a silent room which has one small round table and two chairs. The room is sparsely decorated in the French ancien regime style and is painted a dark aubergine. The ceiling has an elaborate crystal chandelier and, as a touch of whimsy, a mural of a thunderous dark sky with a giant lightning bolt. Bottles of each JAR perfume sit nearby on an elevated lighted stand which seems like an untouchable shrine. I did not dare go near them. Once you are seated, you notice that on the table are a number of glass containers which look like covered petri dishes and each contain a piece of crumpled fabric doused in scent. The JAR representative’s role is to silently open each glass container one at a time and hold it up to you for a sniff of the saturated fabric. He is extremely courteous even though he will ONLY tell you the name of each perfume and nothing else. JAR’s policy is that they do not reveal any notes or comments about their fragrances. It is all meant to be a big secret, I suppose. So there you are, sniffing the contents of each glass container and you want to have a conversation about what you smell with your companion but somehow you get the feeling that it would be uncouth to say anything in the presence of the JAR representative about the perfumes.

On the whole, the JAR fragrances are extremely idiosyncratic and very expensive (for a 30 ml bottle, they range from 220 - 530 euros), and would not appeal to the mainstream consumer. For example, I cannot imagine what the average person would think of the distinct dill pickle notes in “Shadow”. However, I get the impression that the weirdness and cult-like secrecy is by design. It is almost as if the JAR perfume line is a side hobby for Joel Arthur Rosenthal and he really doesn’t care if his perfumes sell or not. There is certainly no pressure to buy anything but given the silence and somewhat forbidding atmosphere, you do not feel like lingering either. We thanked the JAR gentleman who graciously shook our hands and then left the strange little world of JAR perfumes.

Jardenia by JAR

I really liked Jardenia and wish I could come up with a bunch of fancy notes and adjectives to describe it but to me, it is basically a creamy gardenia perfume with a touch of blue cheese at the beginning. Which may sound gross but it isn't. I think it actually helps frame the gardenia note and keeps it from becoming too one-dimensional. It also acts like a hook later on in the development as it keeps you coming back to see if the cheese note will suddenly re-remerge (sadly, it doesn't). Another way to explain Jardenia is that Jardenia is to gardenias what Serge Lutens' Un Lys is to lilies. Well done, Mr. Rosenthal!

Shadow by JAR

Shadow is definitely the oddest scent in the JAR line. The recurring notes to my unsophisticated nose are dill pickle juice, mustiness and hay with a leavening of lavender and maybe eucalyptus towards the end. Yes, that all seems weird but it is not a “scrubber”. I had far worse experiences with Guerlain’s “Philtre d’Amour” and Miller Harris’ “L’Air de Rien” where after 5 minutes I was running for the scrub brush at my kitchen sink. But back to Shadow. Throughout its life on my skin, it kept that same weird high pitched sour/cool whine which was not awful, it was just deliberately strange. I would love to know how many bottles JAR sells of this in a year. I cannot imagine who it would appeal to.

Golconda by JAR

Golconda is probably the most wearer-friendly perfume in the JAR stable. It has definitive notes of clove, carnation and chocolate which are blended nicely into a warm, rich floral fragrance. In short, it is an elegant spicy “floriental” perfume and I would think that Golconda would appeal to a lover of Must de Cartier or Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, for example.

After sampling this and other JAR's, I just had to visit the JAR store in Paris (not affiliated). The following is a brief account of my visit:

Kaern's avatar

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Lovely sweet nuttiness -- perfect for colder weather -- very distinctive. Lasts all day on me. It doesn't get much better than this for wood lovers.

Kaern

Kaern's avatar

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo F Trumper

Errrr -- where's the sandalwood? It's a very leaden, clammy leathery floral on me and just sort of lays there like a lump, not sparking or moving anywhere. If you want sandalwood there are several others that fit the bill much better. I don't like this at all and I find the rest of the Trumper range that I've tested very disappointing (with the honourable exception of Eau de Quinine).

Kaern