Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Alliage by Estée Lauder

This was the first perfume I ever bought, at about age 16 (I'm dating myself here!). I wasn't the type of girl people expected to be wearing perfume (which was much less common among young people back then) and I think I wore it at home more than to school or out at night! I can still just call the scent to mind-- not sure I'd still like it.

Private Collection by Estée Lauder

Yum. I don't have any of this currently, but it's lovely stuff. I first tried it in my early 20s, and it smelled a bit too 'mature', but I liked it anyway. Now that I'm more mature myself (>ulp<) I truly love it.

Earth by Gap

I actually brought a little spritzer of this stuff with me on a car-camping trip to the Southwest-- where else do you feel closer to the EARTH itself?? It's mostly based on sage. Very androgynous, and not too overpowering for something so inexpensive. I still wear it occasionally and am glad I picked up a bottle of the EDT before they stopped making it.

Ysatis by Givenchy

This fragrance is a testament to the power of a good signature scent. A friend of mine used to wear this and I can never smell it without thinking of her. I was shocked to see it came out in the '80s; it's a classic that smells like it could have come from fifty years earlier.

Perry Ellis for Women (original) by Perry Ellis

I agree this is a bit dated, but still very likable. Very much a daytime scent, it takes me back to jobs I had in NYC in the '80s. I'm SO glad I picked up a bottle of the EDP in Filene's Basement a few years ago-- I'd hate to have lost my memory of this scent.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Yes please!! Not for everyone, as it's no shrinking violet (or tuberose) but there's a reason it has stuck around for so long. It's a decadent classic, a la Francaise. Unless you happen to be in Paris, I'd save it for evening. The body cream (which I got from Sephora, not sure it's available more widely?) is lovely.

Halston 1-12 by Halston

An old beau used to wear this. I miss him AND this scent.

Tomato by Demeter Fragrance Library

I enjoy this stuff quite a lot. The reviewers above are right, it doesn't smell like the tomato itself, it smells like the tomato vine and leaves, which is like nothing else on earth. Next time you pick a fresh tomato, sniff your fingers: a greenish, celery-like aroma. Delish. I'd love to know about other tomato-leaf-based fragrances!

Alyssa Ashley Musk by Alyssa Ashley

I was blown away to find they still make this. Was it reintroduced recently? I had to buy a bottle just for nostalgia's sake. It still holds up nicely, imo.

Wet Garden by Demeter Fragrance Library

Add me to the thumbs-up tally. I agree with the person who said it smells like a florist shop. And can that be a bad thing?

Falling In Love by Philosophy

Almost a guilty pleasure-- it's the sweetest, fruitiest perfume I wear. Super feminine.

Niki de Saint Phalle by Niki de Saint Phalle

Is it even possible I'm the first to review this? I wish someone with more technical knowledge would review it, so I know why I love it as much as I do!

tacos's avatar
    tacos
    Netherlands Netherlands

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I remember one sunny afternoon sitting in the car, ready to take three ladies for a drive. Only 30 seconds after they entered the car one said: 'My god, what is this very nice male scent.' The girl next to her nodded and the one next to me said: 'Yes, i must admit. This is a very nice smell. What is it?'
    The smell, off course, was 'Live Jazz'. A summer scent, perfectly suited for a nice hot day. Different from the mainstream-ones like Coolwater, ADG. Live Jazz is fresh but not in your face. And thank God..where i live, nobody really discovered it. In fact, You can buy the Eau de Toilette with a great discount. Too bad the other line of articles (shampoo, deo-stick) are never in stock.

Mario Justiniani's avatar
    Mario Justiniani
    Cuba Cuba

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Allright Firmenic!--If that really is your name--Fess up!
    What you did was to take a bottle of Givenchi Gentleman and ask yourself:

" How can I make this far more sexy and accessible, even at the cost of it being less formal or elegant? "

Your masterplan succeeded admirably and you kept the Patchouli theme of GG
    and, as you evaporated the notes suited for a night at the opera, you combined star anise. pipe tobacco, suede, dark plum, incense, fruits and-- Dionysus only knows what Booze--to produce this brash yet somehow ( you mad genius, you! ) light brew.

Will it be hailed as a classic years from now like ( the old unreformulated) GG?
    Will the praise continue unabated?

Naw . . .

Nevertheless: " Your place or mine" will always prove more popular than " Wanna stay for the second act of La Boheme? "

Cheers.

17 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2011)

kbe's avatar
    kbe

Epicéa by Creed

A dense pine forest brushed here and there with sunbeams and shadows, fragrant with resin and crushed pine needles overlaying a peek-a-boo black pepper oil background. The drydown holds close to the skin and softens beautifully an hour or so after a rather intense opening few minutes. Masculine, warm and rich. Will show best in cooler weather I would think. Yes!

17 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2013)

coolnose's avatar
    coolnose
    Morocco Morocco

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I must have fallen for the brainwashing of recent perfume marketing because although I like lavender, I associate it with the old days, or old ladies. In 1934 flowers were far more accepted as men's fragrance notes. The lavender here overstays its welcome to the topnotes and slowly creeps into the other two levels and makes its presence known. However, very smooth, subtle yet projected and quite unique in my opinion for a man's perfume. I really appreciate the niceness here, but I just couldn't wear this everyday, once in a blue moon maybe.

narcus's avatar
    narcus
    Switzerland Switzerland

1916 by Myrurgia

Agua di Colonia is the full name of this wonderful classical citrus. It has more longevity than is usual in this family which isn't primarily meant to perfume. I am partly reminded of Roger & Gallet's Extra Vielle, an Acqua di Parma without the rose! It would be an ideal travel companion in warmer climates.

Stu's avatar
    Stu

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I have loved this for several years now. Every note from top to bottom suits my skin, which doesn't seem to like every fragrance out there even if I like them on others. Thanks Roma Uomo. So many Thumbs WAY WAY UP!!

Stu's avatar
    Stu

Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I love this scent from Biagiatti. It's another winner. I smell so much going on all at once but I love it and the drydown is very nice. I have only smelled this and Roma but can't wait to try other fragrances by this Biagiatti.

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

While Luca Turin may be right about the composition of this blend being "technically tricky", and ultimately a masterpiece in composition...my nose tells me I don't want to smell like Beyond Paradise. No matter the level of difficulty in it's creation, when I sniff this juice it is slightly sharp, soapy, and a bit heavy on the peachy/apricot note. (I can also smell Tommy Girl.) True enough, BP holds it's shape and strength throughout it's entire lifespan, but if a floral symphony is what I desire, I'm more likely to head for Lauder's Beautiful...which is velvety smooth and more pleasing to my nose.

bront82's avatar
    bront82

Notes from Michael - Tattersall by Michael Kors

Don't be fooled by the notes listed above ... this stuff is awful! Synthetic florals are all I register ... nothing natural or warm in the least!

bront82's avatar
    bront82

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

Let's get things straight ... I'm a vetiver hater, but a Covet lover! What a delicious chocolaty green scent. Works great on a guy, if I do say so myself, and I just constantly reach for the bottle. This is saying a lot, as there are few fragrances for which I am constantly reaching. I feel too that Covet has a development, a structure and a warm comfort about it. Certainly worth a try ... and perhaps a bottle!

Basala / Basara by Shiseido

Gorgeous frag I love to wear in cold weather. (That said, I'm not sure I can even imagine putting this one on in spring or summer.) Deep and complex and oh-so-spicy -- not at all like the other (read: bland, boring) Shiseido frags for men that I've tried.

The coriander can be a bit strong at first, as can both the cedar and lavender. Basala/Basara is definitely one of those frags, though, that you really need to give at least a few hours' time to, if not multiple wearings.

A must-try if not a must-have.

Signature pour Femme by S.T. Dupont

Very akin to Dupont's Signature for men, with bright florals and fruits over a woody base. This is one of the few frags I can think of in which the gardenia and rose don't overpower the other floral notes.

Pretty old school in its construction, though, and not for young women in search of a light and breezy type of frag. Also, this one's probably better suited for romantic and formal events in the evening -- I can certainly see how it might come across as overbearing and/or cloying in confined business spaces.

L'Eau Homme by S.T. Dupont

Herrera Aqua? Not even that memorable.

In a word? Meh.
    Two words? Aquatic meh.

Boucheron by Boucheron

I used to use Boucheron a few years ago and loved it. It was classy, complex with depth and definitely for the eveing. I don't know why I stopped using it. Maybe I'll give another try. I probably just fell out of love with it. Happens with perfume.

Halston by Halston

Halston was a present from a friend a long time ago. It was instant love at first wiff. The woody notes would eventually round out to something else by the end of the day and it was almost like putting on a new perfume - warm and inviting. I wore it for a number of years and moved on to another fragrance,

Aqua Allegoria Orange Magnifica by Guerlain

Bought this in Paris. I liked it in the store, but when I brought it home and tried wearing it, there was an underlying note I found off-putting. I don't know what that note is, but I can't wear the perfume. Yuck!

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Iceberg Homme by Iceberg

Calvin Klein Eternity's european cousin, complete with all the standard euro exuberances. Better than Eternity? I think so, but you will have to apply a bit heavy. It expands and flouresces in all the areas Eternity will simply show you. I like it. Is it worth the purchase if you can find it? Yes...if you've once had Eternity and no longer have it. It will be like visiting an old friend who is now more lively and entertaining.

That review was based on a sample. I got a full bottle last year and the frag s totally different. I wouldn't compare it to eternity anymore. To my nose it is a sweet white pepper, though no pepper is listed in the notes. I love this and I think it is still very relevant 20 years after. I wear this when I want to throw that curve ball...no one seems to know what it is. And that;s the way I like it ;)

18 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 October, 2010)

Lisaandtheword's avatar
    Lisaandtheword

L'Heure Magique by Laura Mercier

Not very powdery on me, and doesn't morph more than first settling, but it's complex & yummy.. I like the flavor alot- similar to Venezia & Tuscany per Donna, lighter & less sweet, an anytime scent, smells Italian, cheerful & sensual. Embracing your feminine soft side when wearing this!