Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Iceberg Homme by Iceberg

Calvin Klein Eternity's european cousin, complete with all the standard euro exuberances. Better than Eternity? I think so, but you will have to apply a bit heavy. It expands and flouresces in all the areas Eternity will simply show you. I like it. Is it worth the purchase if you can find it? Yes...if you've once had Eternity and no longer have it. It will be like visiting an old friend who is now more lively and entertaining.

That review was based on a sample. I got a full bottle last year and the frag s totally different. I wouldn't compare it to eternity anymore. To my nose it is a sweet white pepper, though no pepper is listed in the notes. I love this and I think it is still very relevant 20 years after. I wear this when I want to throw that curve ball...no one seems to know what it is. And that;s the way I like it ;)

18 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 October, 2010)

Lisaandtheword's avatar

L'Heure Magique by Laura Mercier

Not very powdery on me, and doesn't morph more than first settling, but it's complex & yummy.. I like the flavor alot- similar to Venezia & Tuscany per Donna, lighter & less sweet, an anytime scent, smells Italian, cheerful & sensual. Embracing your feminine soft side when wearing this!

odysseusm's avatar

Monsieur Galimard by Galimard

Top: bergamot, lemon, lavender, tarragon
    Mid: cinnamon, geranium, sage
    Base: oak moss, sandalwood, musk
    The Galimard site gives these additional fragrance notes. This is a very good woody fougère. I really like this sort of scent and this is good value and quality. There is a lovely opening of lemon, with aromatic lavender and herbal notes. Spice and herbal aromatic notes continue and develop. Excellent “ferny” notes are here, very well done. And then it settles into an attractive light wood. I find that the longevity is not great, but this is inexpensive enough to have reapplications without guilt.

fusion's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

A very nice fragrance I love it but last only about 2 minutes on me no exaggeration I wish this lasted longer because I really like it so I will give it a neutral only because to me it smells really nice the longevity might be my skin.

Brielle87's avatar

Isadora by Isadora

Have worn this since I was a girl, and have always loved it. I find it to be one of those scents that enters the room before you, and lingers for a while after. It has feel to it, as if the top notes, and some of the middle notes, of Shalimar have been amped up by at least 1000, and made to sparkle ever so subtly. It also will not dry down with the warmth of Shalimar, but will dry down towards a darker, less welcoming place. The dry-down makes me think more of vintage My Sin, than any other scent.
    It is not a scent one should choose, it is one that will choose the wearer.

erichtonius's avatar

Rose by Santa Maria Novella

This Rose scent is extraordinary. Made from Provence rose, "Rosa centifolia", rather than Damask roses from Bulgaria (usually "Trigintipetalia"). Creed's "Fleurs de Bulgarie" is close to this, but more floral and heady.
    It's not a very masculine fragrance as perfume, but it's wonderful as toileteries scent (soap, aftershave etc.). However, I do not recommand SMN's cosmetics : too much bad ingredients for skin and health - natural rose cosmetics from Dr Hauschka or Weleda are the best.

erichtonius's avatar

Pot Pourri by Santa Maria Novella

Santa Maria Novella produces the best pot-pourris. I was afraid to wear "Pot-pourri" as a frangrance, but it's wonderful. It's aromatic and spiced, quite medicial at the opening, but very sweet and smart : a classic fragrance, as Eau de Cologne "Santa Maria Novella" in another way.

18 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2008)

sandy1951's avatar

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld

Although I really don't like fruity fragrances that much I do adore this one. I do get a little bit of pineapple in the opening, but mostly peach. And yes it is sweet, but not cloyingly so. Then the soft and utterly lovely floral kicks in. On me there is not much vanilla, instead the musk is most dominate. This is my fallback for those days I cannot make up my mind what to wear and my comfort scent. It has been hard to miss the downward price,"class" spiral of this fragrance as well as Chloe and Chloe Narcisse. Oh yeah and the truly lovely spicy KL. I do so hope they aren't discontinued. While I don't wear the Chloe's or the KL that often, I do like them and I would miss having them but I would be bereft without my SMS.

pomeraniansiamese's avatar

Germany Germany

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

My Husband (He is British and very minimalist) wears this and has since before we met. It smells delightful on his bare skin and I must say it is appealingly sexy and exotic. It makes no sense however that I detected pumpkin! but this may be an effect of his chemistry on the fragrance. He tends to make everything smell of pumpkin spice and witches brew. It is delicious! I whole-heartedly recommend this to the right man (attractive, classy, and bewitching! perfect for a warlock!). All kidding aside, lovely notes and spices. Much better than the femme version which I detest.

swe_tiger's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Smells like toothpaste in the top!

Though, it has a nice vanilla base but the middle notes is awful.

swe_tiger's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

Reminds me of mint candy or peppermint rock :D

Mint and coconut are the strongest notes here, I also smell a hint mandarin, violet, congac and warm tonka bean in the base.

18 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2008)

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Can't really dislike how it smells, it's kinda chocolate, kinda coffee, kind of caramel. So basically its a caramel, mocha, frappachino. It smells delicious, but I just don't know if I want to smell like it. What I can say I dislike about this fragrance is how cloying it is. It just attacks your nose and fills it up with smell. Made me dizzy.

Himalaya by Creed

This is a fragrance that garners compliments like "you smell very nice" or "what you're wearing is quite pleasant". Nothing sexy, seductive, or alluring about this fragrance, but it does make a good first impression. It's icy cool (like the frozen mountain tops it's named after), but not snobby. It does evoke images of snowy mountain tops the more I spent time with it. My favorite creed to wear for myself. Although I do enjoy MI, SMW, and GIT on others.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

This is a strange frag., some days I love it, other days I don't. The top notes are a little harsh: spicy, sour, and sweet all at the same time. I like how it's distinctive, but not everybody finds it pleasant. Good thing the top notes only last for 1-2 hrs max (depending on the weather) on me. When it does dry down, B*Men is wonderful. Amber and vetiver, the right amount of sweet with the right amount of sour. Probobly not a good idea to wear this when you plan to sweat though....

Original Santal by Creed

Yes there is a resemblance to Joop!, but where Joop! is overbearing and too sharp, OS is just right and creamy. Joop! had the right idea....OS improved on it. I agree with merlino that it's a very casual fragrance. I get good sillage and longevity with this Creed. Good for a club or a night out with friends. Not an "attention getter" per se, but you will smell nice. I also believe this scent is unisex b/c it is a very sweet fragrance. The vanilla/tonka base is very comforting to me, my favorite part of this scent.

Shocking by Elsa Schiaparelli

The only thing "shocking" about this is how shockingly awful it is. It has dusty musty notes of rose and incense, overlaid by a cloying scent of dark honey which gets to the back of my throat and just sticks there. Another way to understand Shocking is that it smells like the closet of a spinster great aunt where she saved every rose corsage and honey jar that came her way. After 10 minutes of wearing Shocking, it is clear that this is a scrubber (and gargler) par excellence. Ugh!

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

I loved Y on my very first testing and cannot believe that I am only just now smelling it for the first time. I have seen it in the stores for ages and am not sure why I always passed it by. Definitely my loss!

Y starts off as a beautiful light chypre fragrance and dries down into a lovely light white floral scent with decent sillage. Lovers of 31 rue Cambon, Ma Griffe, Ivoire, Diorella and/or Caleche would be well pleased with this. Y is sexy in an elegant way and very classy. I would be pleased to own a bottle of it one day.

Missoni Acqua by Missoni

At first I thought Acqua showed promise. The first whiff evoked thoughts of a sunny day in Capri with its marine and ozone notes. After an hour, it inched its way to being a nondescript "sweet white floral blend". With Acqua, it seems that Missoni took the easy way out and decided that it would be best for it to smell like like a combination of generic sweet flowers or “watery bubblegum” as a fellow reviewer on MUA noted. I have had shampoos that smelled a whole lot more exciting than this.

Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Louve is a sickly sweet sugar bomb that ends up smelling like musk.

Bolt of Lightning by JAR

Bolt of Lightning is the most expensive one in the JAR line at 530 euros for a bottle of 30 ml extrait. It starts out with unidentifiable cool green notes and then after about 45 minutes evolves into the smell of grapebubble gum (the penny kind in the individual red and yellow wrappers). The light powdered sugar dusting that covers the gum is also well evident in the notes. After an hour or so, it changes into a very light white floral fragrance with a decided touch of gardenia. All I can say is, I am glad that I only purchased a tiny sample of this. At that price, I would be furious about smelling like grape bubblegum!

After sampling Bolt of Lightning and other JAR fragrances, I just had to visit the JAR store in Paris (not affiliated). The following is a brief account of my visit:

No appointments to smell the JAR perfumes at the JAR store on rue Castiglione are necessary, unlike the rules to view JAR’s jewelry line which is sold at a different location. Anyways, you arrive at the JAR store, ring a bell to request entrance and then are ushered by an immaculately dressed man into a silent room which has one small round table and two chairs. The room is sparsely decorated in the French ancien regime style and is painted a dark aubergine. The ceiling has an elaborate crystal chandelier and, as a touch of whimsy, a mural of a thunderous dark sky with a giant lightning bolt. Bottles of each JAR perfume sit nearby on an elevated lighted stand which seems like an untouchable shrine. I did not dare go near them. Once you are seated, you notice that on the table are a number of glass containers which look like covered petri dishes and each contain a piece of crumpled fabric doused in scent. The JAR representative’s role is to silently open each glass container one at a time and hold it up to you for a sniff of the saturated fabric. He is extremely courteous even though he will ONLY tell you the name of each perfume and nothing else. JAR’s policy is that they do not reveal any notes or comments about their fragrances. It is all meant to be a big secret, I suppose. So there you are, sniffing the contents of each glass container and you want to have a conversation about what you smell with your companion but somehow you get the feeling that it would be uncouth to say anything in the presence of the JAR representative about the perfumes.

On the whole, the JAR fragrances are extremely idiosyncratic and very expensive (for a 30 ml bottle, they range from 220 - 530 euros), and would not appeal to the mainstream consumer. For example, I cannot imagine what the average person would think of the distinct dill pickle notes in “Shadow”. However, I get the impression that the weirdness and cult-like secrecy is by design. It is almost as if the JAR perfume line is a side hobby for Joel Arthur Rosenthal and he really doesn’t care if his perfumes sell or not. There is certainly no pressure to buy anything but given the silence and somewhat forbidding atmosphere, you do not feel like lingering either. We thanked the JAR gentleman who graciously shook our hands and then left the strange little world of JAR perfumes.

Lady from Philadelphia's avatar

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

While I'm not a fan of other Lauder fragrances, this one was perfect for the April day it arrived in the mail. To me, it smells like all the soft flowers--apple blossoms, grape hyacinths, tulips--in bloom right now, with water-splashed violets and a whiff of fresh raspberries. I think it would lovely for spring and summer, lovely on a young girl. As fresh as a cotton dress.

Sensualsusanna's avatar

Costes by Hôtel Costes

I'm 'on again off again' with Costes. But the first time I smelled it, dabbed from a sample vial it was P~a~r~a~d~i~s~e! Clean, medicinal and uplifting. After that I recieved a good sized spray decant. After spritzing on my wrist; all I smelled was dryer sheet! Wretched! Now as I write this, I sit here wearing it sprayed from a 50ml Costes bottle and it's nauseatting. I think Costes is really dependent upon time, temperature and temperment. It's nice sometimes, but not today.

bamacharm's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This isn't my cup of tea. I sprayed some on the back my hand in a department store today. I cannot handle this scent. My guess is that the castoreum oil, taken from the musk glands of beaver and used to set traps by North American Mountain men in the days before westward expansion, could not have been far different from this. I have scrubbed the back of my hand three times with hot water and that strong handwashing liquid commonly found in restrooms. The scent must have penetrated my skin because it will not go away. I asked the ladies in the office what they thought about it and they were all equally repulsed. This after three scrubbings, mind you. So there's a positive. This stuff has BIG TIME staying power! My recommendation is that you test this and allow that special someone in your life to sample it too before buying. Oh yes, spray on a swatch or something and not your skin. From my experience, it will not disappear when you need it to do so. I am headed home now to apply vinegar or ammonia cleaner or whatever else I can find to the back of my hand before taking a hot shower. Different strokes......I guess.

bamacharm's avatar

Visit by Azzaro

I bought a bottle of this blindly based on positive reviews here and elsewhere. BIG MISTAKE. There are two things I now know: (1) some people love nutmeg; and, (2) I'm not one of them. Actually, I don't mind nutmeg in moderation but it so dominates this scent, for me, to the point of nausea. No scent, not even the cheapest dollar store variety has ever given me a headache. This one did and almost instantaneously. My first reaction is that it smells like a bargain basement fabric softener. Anyone need a full 3.4 oz bottle of this stuff? Those of you who grew up in the 60s-70s will remember the ultra repulisive and cheap "Hai Karate". I'd take that over this concoction.

ajr10022's avatar

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

Beautiful scent. I agree that it isn't earth-shattering, but it's definitely on the classic side with the vanilla in it. I like it.

AromaMystique's avatar

Elige by Mary Kay

I remember trying Elige when my mother's friend (MK consultant) recommended it to my mother. When my mother received her perfume, boy was she in love. Just like a kid in the candy store, back in '98 she came to my room---more like invited herself in... (never mind I was studying for my History exam) and just said to me " You got to smell this". Well, when my mother immediately sprayed this perfume on me it was love at first sight. It is a very sophisticated, alluring, and not overpowering aroma. A perfect floriental scent, in my opinion. Fit for any twentysomething, thirtysomething or just about any somethings *hehe*. Perfect to wear for a romantic date or just to feel/smell beautiful. Elige won't disappoint. Even if Mary Kay cosmetics is not your cup of tea, DO give Elige perfume a try.

AromaMystique's avatar

Sonia Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

An absolute MUST HAVE in your perfume collection. In my opinion, this is the holy grail when it comes to oriental scents. Been wearing it since '97. 'nough said ;)

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

Breathtaking. This is a wonderful green rose with a touch of lemon dominated citrus. It pulls at my heart with memories of soft beauty, springtime and peaceful sunshine in a place where life is lived at a slow pace.

I am a man who feels comfortable in roses and I am happier wearing this than the "masculinised" rose scents.

Life is a bed of rose petals.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Time has moved on but truth remains ever the same. This new complicated world only obscures genuine inner beauty. The fleeting grasp of human contact is lost in the mist. Everything now is concrete and steel, the soft touch but a distant memory talked of in hushed tones by the older generation.

Some hearts were destined to synchronise across the ages, but only for long enough to feel the pain of eternal separation.I am a man born out of time, and in my time my woman wore L'Heure Bleue.

Deliciously melancholic, this rings of opportunities lost, liaisons missed and unrequited love.

I wear it because you don't.

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

A brilliant subtle leather which remains fresh too. It has the most persistent light presence that I know, this has cologne strength with EDP longevity.

There is a slight metalic note which sits with the leather, like the buckles on the belt a jacket.

Classic.