Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Eau de Quinine by Geo F Trumper

A wonderful soft quinine, bitter but not overwhelmingly so. This has a much bigger, fatter structure than crown's offering with none of the harshness. There is some sweetness and powder here, almost creating an unexpected semi-oriental feeling to the dry down. A beautiful, pure bergamot note sings just below the main accord, like a faint pedal tone offsetting the rest of the fragrance, somehow separate but in symbyosis with it.

Very fine stuff from one of the few houses to keep the genuine British tradition alive.

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

Another fabulous fragrance from Villoresi. The top has a rough rustic feel but made from ingredients of the first order. Rosewood and bergamot shine here.

A perfectly balanced evolution ensues at once controlled and feral. Green notes with controlled spice and neroli blend into the santal, vetiver and cedar which dominate the base.

This leaves me with a calm, grounded feeling.

I reach for it when all affectation and pretence must be allowed to blow away with the wind.

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

In my opinion a really good example of what not to do with lavender. It is not featured in a natural way nor integrated in a complex way. Instead the scent strikes me as over produced, sacharin sweetened, de-medicinalised. All the purple roundness is removed leaving a monochrome two dimensional flatland.

I get no pathos with this, it is too technical and has no flow. It would make a good flavouring for a travel sweet in a tin. It lacks in depth of conception and execution to me.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

A wonderful scent from the nose the the venerable J.P. Guerlain, this is an EDP in the classic French style dominated by a vanilla, but that is far from the whole story. While the rich vanilla persists, there is an ongoing development of supporting notes. Booze, tobacco, hay, smoky incense, some florals all unroll richly to prevent this from becoming sickly sweet, there is a kind of tart dryness underlying it all too, frosted with creme caramel burned sugar.

Sillage is controlled and perfect and longevity is very good. It doesn't stay glued to you forever either, it is possible to wash it off at the end of the day.

A masterpiece.

iMaverick's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

What the hell did they do with this scent? It's probably the vetiver that sticks out like a sore thumb to my nose. I even think that Homme Sport Cologne had a bigger Chanel imprint in the scent. And here I thought Cologne was a bit of blasphemy to the Allure name. I still think that Allure Homme Sport is the easiest to wear, and I think that I'm pretty much alone in thinking that it's a wonderful scent. I think many went running because the ad mentioned the "aquatic" word into the composition and a lot here at Basenotes went running because of it. HA! It's all in the head. Fraiche would've been the better word for Homme Sport.

Final word for Allure Homme Edition Blanche? Mediocre flanker that defiles a classic.

JaimeB's avatar

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

The turpentine in the top notes sounds harsh, but it doesn't come across that way. I would call this scent subtle and restrained, yet it does have some sillage, and on my skin at least, considerable longevity. I think the most satisfying thing at first is the camphor, which is not the mothball smell of chemical camphor, but the ethereal and penetrating, slightly medicinal incense note of camphor wood crystals. From there, the woods, incense, and moss take over, and the herbal touch of thyme tends to mellow the forest accents. Definitely clean, masculine, even a bit lumberjack. Refreshing.
    __________________

Joe_Frances's avatar

Cardinal by Heeley

Heeley Cardinal has a pretentious name and a wonderful smell. It's light, bright incense of a very Roman Catholic variety; and contrasts with CdeG Avignon, which is darker and more gothic. It is also clean with just a touch of a soapy note in the development which I find works very well. I don't know if the current rage with incense fragrances will continue, but I hope this stands the test of time. I wonder, was there ever a Cardinal Heeley?

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Palazzo by Fendi

I liked Palazzo from the very first sniff, and after some months of sniffing I now own the EdP and the bodylotion. Palazzo is not as heavy as an oriental, but much heavier than most florals. Right now it is the strong fraganse i reach for. I hope it will be as nice for summer as it is for winter! Good work, Fendi!

19 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 May, 2008)

oolong's avatar

Basala / Basara by Shiseido

Initially is more then a bit overwhelming. Really, this is not a fragrance you want to put on just before a date or going into a public space. You will drive people away. One spray and my housemate needs to leave the room. After about 30 minutes the monster settles down to one of the most amazing fragrances I've ever tried. Spicy, sweet, complex, unique... A winter/evening scent.

Stu's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I purchased two bottles of this a couple of years ago just for the hell of it and never wore it but after reading these reviews decided to finally try it on and I really do like it. Whether the formulae has changed I can't say because my box says Proctor & Gamble and I remember as a kid (I'm 43) a lot of adult men wearing this and the smelling so good so it must have been made by Shulton then, but it still smells good then. Someone mentioned it smells better after it sits in the bottle after a few years and mine did that and I'm enjoying it now. It's definitely not soemthing I'll wear everyday by any means but I will wear it from time to time.

Stephanotis's avatar

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

I, too, am saddened if this is considered one of the "new chypres".
    On me this was a hodge-podge of mis-matched notes.
    The fruit/top notes were sour and they shrieked their way up my nostrils to create quite the headache.
    They also lasted more than the usual ten - to - twenty minutes. Several hours of the interchanging bitter fruit...and then something musty, dusty, and dirty creeped out.
    Sadly, I didn't get to sample this before owning it. It was a gift.

Vasily's avatar

The Beach by Ava Luxe

Although I'm not a fan of the fresh calone-based perfumes that have been so popular for the past decade, this is probably the best take on the beach that I've encountered. Good enough that I purchased; a bottle recently for summer wear. There's a dry greenness there, plus a tiny bit of unpleasantness that recalls machine oil for me, like a whiff of boat funkiness from the docks mixed with shells & seagrass & the smell of skin warmed by the sun then plunged into shadow. It's an unpretentious take on the beach, which for me always has some funky smells mixed in with the pleasant. It makes me smile, and sometimes thats enough to make a frag bottleworthy for me.

tvlampboy's avatar

Baby Rose Jeans by Versace

Awfully sweet for my taste -- I'm going to have to give this one a neutral.

I don't mind bold roses (e.g., Black Aoud), nor dry roses (e.g., Cabaret pour Femme), nor green roses (e.g., Tea Rose). All that said, I don't often care for sweet roses such as this one.

A fine frag for kids, maybe, but probably not for anyone over 16.

tvlampboy's avatar

Crystal Noir by Versace

I'm not a fan of fig notes (isn't that fig I detect in it?), but I do like the florals in this one. Nice woodsy dry-down that makes the fruity floral (read: slightly harsh) opening worth it all.

All that aside, I won't be scrambling to buy this one for a gift anytime soon.

Thumbs up, but only marginally so.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Black for Her by Kenneth Cole

This is a safe floral, nothing more. I was disappointed, because I love the packaging and was expecting something edgier and more exciting. Oh well.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

The opening lavender note is a bit sharper than I would like, but it settles down nicely. Wonderfully elegant woods here, very masculine, great projection, great longevity, great drydown. I would say that the dry down peaks at about the 8 hour mark for me and I get at least 12 hours altogether. A real mood lifter for me. One of my favorite Creeds.

Le Roy Soleil Homme by Salvador Dali

The sun is usually a pleasant thing to feel. I can’t say that I like it when I am standing on a hot asphalt parking lot in the middle of summer. It feels oppressive as the asphalt radiates its heat. It reminds me of this scent: Le Roy Soliel has a brightness to it, but I find a persistent oppressive bitter element. This ruins it for me. Consequently I cannot recommend it.

Vintage by John Varvatos

Vintage reminds me of John Varvatos meets Pumpkin Pie. I like both of them very much, but not mingled together. Discordant.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I am not usually fond of coconut, but I find it to be tempered by the lime, making it balanced. The rum and musk accord that emerges is pleasant. A playful Creed, very different than any other I have tried. I will not buy it for myself, but I think it merits consideration for summery scent. I think it would work well for both men and women.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Parfum d'Été by Kenzo

i love it. i get smell of sun dried greens from it. so much summer. my grandpa used to grow his own tobacco when i was very small. in late summer when lines of brownish yellow tobacco were hanged to dry on the path to home it used to smell that way. i got no florals from it. so thinking it may be boring to others who do not have tobacco growing grandpas i wear it under some white florals; ralph lauren romance or estee lauder pleasures or versace bright cristal. i prefer the first combination most.

irish's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Blue Amber by Montale

So I open the envelope were my fragrance was scent... it smelled, well, like amber. Old, aged, vintage amber. Innocently I smell the atomizer, ah! there you are vanilla! Should I? should I spray it on my wrist? So I do. A mushroom cloud is formed where my house used to be. Some people reported that on a radius of 20 km, 60 year old women cried remembering their first love, 40 year old women had mild orgasms. 30 yo were droped to their knees on spasmic nirvana, and the 20 yo gagged and threw up. Some other people said the warm brezee that followed made the man feel more manly and the women more luxurious.

But I wouldn´t know. All I saw and smelled was an old tree rip itself in half and suddenly ignite. Maybe in a gesture of melacholy, maybe in an effort of liberation.

rodent's avatar

France France

H.M. by Hanae Mori

a truly extraordinary gourmand perfume - and this is coming from someone who generally does not like gourmands. the opening is citrusy (strongly so for a gourmand), floral, tropically fruity and quite sharp -- and as it dries down it gets progressively more gourdmandy and vanillac. the fragrance is extraordinarily complex, yet never overloaded or confused since it is so beautifully blended, and so it isn't as brash as, say, A*Men or Pi. it is subtle, yet makes a strong statement due to its uniqueness, fundamentally gourmand character, and almost feminine presence. the EDT lasts very long and sillage is outrageous. i only wish i had more occasions to wear this -- it is so rich and heady a concoction that wearing it to, say, the office would just be out of place -- and making it an everyday perfume would trivialize it and eventually numb your nostrils to its special power and grace. i wonder who was the perfumer? truly a virtuoso performance. wow.

runstile's avatar

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

A good scent, great for relaxing summer days/nights. Lasts great for a cologne. It does have a sourness to it, but I like it and I've gotten lots of compliments on it.

19 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2008)

wtb's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

An absolute gem in my collection. Sexy and long lasting enough to satisfy me and the lovely women that smell it! Jump on it while you can guys before it gets possibly discontinued...

AnnaBanana's avatar

Magie Noire by Lancôme

About 10 years ago, a darling coworker of my mom's gave her a LARGE bottle of Magie Noire. This coworker loved to give people gifts, and to bake them incredible Lithuanian pastries. It seemed that everything that she gave was perfectly tailored to the person, and that the gifts took real time, effort, and money. Also, she gave these gifts with joy. Anyway, Mom had never sniffed great fragrance before and she was enchanted with this gift of Magie Noire. Mom calls it "the black bottle" and compares every other fragrance to it, as in, "This is nice, but it's not the black bottle..."
    The other day I got some samples of very pricey perfumes in a department store promo. I was amazed that these samples smelled almost identical to room freshener or cheap hairspray. In other words, they couldn't begin to touch "the black bottle." Magie Noire is lovely, rich, rare, and it remains the standard to me. And to Mom :)

Bromo33333's avatar

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I tried Cristalle EDP and nearly bought the bottle on the spot - on me, the scent is green but with a floral note that is nearly identical to what you smell when you put your nose right in a flower. It lasts quite awhile, as well.

While not marketed as a "male" scent - a man can pull this one off easily - and if one is looking for a good floral that can be masculine, this should be near the top of the list as it is quality, floral, but green enough for that "non floral edge" that helps a man wear a floral.

Bromo33333's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

Having owned and worn Yatagan - I have to say it is a very unusual scent. Some folks recoil since it is not "pretty" or "lovely" by any conventional definition and has a few notes that are downright unpleasant. In fact, I don't think you could use the words "pretty" and "Yatagan" in a sentence without the word "not" thrown in there and maintain any sense of artistic integrity afterwards. It is no mistake that the word Yatagan refers to a sword used by Janissaries in the Ottoman Empire - the elite, non-muslim, foreign born, expendable, shock troops of the Emperor. They LOVED their Yatagan (sword, not cologne!), and sometimes were buried with it and treated it in a similar manner to a sword owned by a Japanese Samurai. There is very little you can do with a sword to divorce it from its purpose - the purpose is un-pleasant no matter how many jewels are encrusted upon it, death-dealing regardless of whose name is inscribed upon it in gold leaf. I believe this captures the "artistic vision" they had when making Yatagan, even if "artisitc vision" is a bit over-the-top for this one.

Side note: I have noticed that some people are inspired to poetic lengths by some perfumes, and I really didn't understand until now. This one elicits a load of descriptions from me, my first one that has done this, though I do not find Yatagan even 1% pretty or pleasant any more than (wait for it!) a overtly masculine official from HR bearing down on someone with a pink slip informing them that "their services are 'no longer needed'" is pleasant or pretty - and yes I am comparing getting laid off to wearing Yatagan, but only if you are the one doing it. Is there no amount of hyperbole and poetic license I will forbid myself as I write this?

It does project power, and is very masculine in that it is not even one whiff or touch sweet. This scent will not attract others and make you the life of the party. It will make you seem like you have the authority to determine the life and death of your fellow man. I imagine Julius Caesar would have worn this as he crossed the Rubicon, Leon Trotsky might have dabbed on some during those fateful days in October 1917, Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis both would have worn this when signing documents declaring the opening of the American Civil War in the 1860's. You get the picture - if you have a tough and powerful job to do - unpleasant and life affecting - this is your scent.

Now you may be asking "what does it smell like? Not what does it feel like other that it is not the least bit sweet." Well I don't think you can divorce the two, but in essence, it smells vegetal. Vetiver and Pine with celery. Almost, but not quite sweet at first then a crushed grassy-celery smell with a hint of all things mustard. It evolves into a touch of pine needles and pine sap (hence some comments about pine smell). And for me it remains somewhat linear only adding a touch of patchouli after awhile. But, you really ought to smell it for yourself. It is pungent for sure and seems to change upon each application with certain things emphasized and de-emphasized. And while one might catch a whiff of pine detergent - it isn't a clean smell at all.

I do think Yatagan is a very challenging scent, and would not be a daytime scent unless you are in charge of a large number of people (say more than a dozen), and even then you would have to be sparing with the application (I can only imagine the reaction to the sillage), and there is no shame if you don't like it, after all it is also projecting a unreconstructed 1970's idea of conservative powerful masculinity.

As you can see, it made an enormous impression on me. My wife found it disgusting. I didn't like it at first, but wore it to work anyway. As many scents have their uses, I think Yatagan has its use, and I ordered a bottle, and I wear it once in awhile.

This is my first review for Basenotes. You can go ahead and flame. I am wearing Yatagan as I post this, after all.

19 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2008)

bluesoul's avatar

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

This stuff is great. I got a spray on paper yesterday at Sephora and decided to leave with a 1mL sample spray of the stuff. Wore three sprays, one to the neck, one to the belly, one to the back of the wrist. The four notes that are standing out the most to me are lemon, incense, sandalwood and vetiver. A quick look at the directory confirms three of the four notes are indeed there, and the vetiver note I'm getting could be something else. Initially it's a bright, orange and sandalwood-laden scent that's a little too fresh for me. When it dries down, though, you get the most wonderful incense note, deep and smoky, sweet without being cloying. This interacts with the lush sandalwood wonderfully and you get what I find to be a unique incense. Combined with heat from the body you get a marvelous drydown, one of my favorites to date.

Sillage is fair to good, I did get a comment on it at work today. Longevity is good so far as I'm seven and a half hours into wearing it and most of the magic is still there.

What it reminds me of, and the SA agreed, was Terre d'Hermes, only a little stronger, deeper and maybe a bit sweeter in different ways. Where TdH has a note that conjures up images of a mouth-puckering sour lemon, Dunhill Pursuit offers oranges at an incense-smelling church. I like it, I like it more than TdH honestly.

This was the first Dunhill fragrance I've tried and I'm impressed thus far. Dunhill Pursuit is now on my buy list.

19 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2008)

Mokkie's avatar

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Oh this one is bad, big time, make that VERY bad. It does not even fit to be a toilet refresher spray...it went straight to the bin, i'm embarrassed to even give it to anyone.

Mokkie's avatar

What About Adam by Joop!

Short and simple message, i HATE this scent, worst one i ever had, extremely close to Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme (m), also BAD.