Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

achillesg's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Scubs off nicely once the sweetness becomes cloying.

PashaRuski's avatar

Ukraine Ukraine

Pasha by Cartier

Just got it today and it smells pretty strong at first and kind of unattractive. It then starts to settle and blend with your skin to create a good fragrance. This fragrance better be good because it is the same as my real name, haha. Good cologne, recommended.

rainshine's avatar

Comme une Evidence by Yves Rocher

Not too green, not too floral, just right chypre with a muted lily of the valley and slightly warm smell that's perfect for spring and days in winter when you feel like spring will never come. Have the solid perfume and intense version too.

Agarwood by Madini

There is one word to describe this little attar in a abottle. FAKE!!!! I have been a Madini customer for about 6 years and rather enjoy their products but I have to say this one is a rip off. Yes it is strong and long lasting but thats really the only similarities it has with real Agarwood/Oud. I have smelled other fakes from around the world and they all smell the same weather they sell for $20 for 3ml or $4 for the same thing. The smell is quite sickening and if I get it on me it over powers anything else I am smelling. You can also smell it's addition in another one of their attars called Mukhallat Malaki, and Bouquet. Yes some people do like it's fragance but usually it is those who are inexpeirienced in real Agarwood. The first thing to give it away is the price of the attar. $15 for 3ml is to little for agarwood, and a real agarwood that is bad quality but cheap dosnt smell anything like this, rather cheap agarwood usually smells like burnt wood or cow manuare. This fake agarwood is totally missing any depth and complexity that evan a cheap real agarwood would somewhat obtain. Hey dont get me wrong there are some Madini attars that I totally enjoy, but this one is a shame. Sorry Madini

Almaktoub by Madini

Madini's rendition of Drakkar Noir. I am a sucker for Drakkar (childhood memories) and of all the imitations this is the best I have smelled. Very clean, very masculine, and everybody likes it.

Ambre by Madini

Very unique. If you were to some how smear a rock of amber this is how it would smell. I find this amber to go very well when applying other aromatic amber fragrances. I usually spray on L'instant or PI and dab this Amber on my hands and neck, it gives a great layering effect.

Baraka by Madini

Sweet,Fruity, Spicey, ....Musky? maybe White Musk. I have smelled this attar from other companies and countries and it has the same strength and longevity, so I have to say nothing spectacular. Along the lines of Alma de Alma or musk Peire.

Black Musk by Madini

Very strong, very masculine and at that many men wont like it. I like it. I throws people off and gives you a presence. Smells like Tamarinds and Plums bathing in a non alcohalic Red Wine.

Bouquet by Madini

OK if i smell to much of this I might vomit!! Madini's Agarwood mixed with their Zafron. I love Madini's Zafron but the Agarwood totally overpowers it. When agarwood is mixed with something it is great and compliments it like a good amber or musk, but when fake agarwood is used it ruins the fragrance. This is what happened to Bouquet.

Burberry by Madini

Very feminine, light, floral, slightly fruity...My wife loves this one. One of the attars from Madini that doesnt seem too Arab infuenced. None the less this one was done right.

Jasmine by Madini

If you are in the Arab world Jasmine is almmost in every perfume shop. Yes it is one note but it does stay true to Arab tradition. This is not a rendtion of jasmine it is plainly Jasmine. Take it or leave it.

Vanille by Madini

This is a must have. What a beautifull vanille gragrance. Starts of with a dry vanilla and never to sweet and drys down to an earthy, musky, hibiscuss seed. Great for men and women and best of all it dose not smell edible like vanilla spice hand cream.

abubakr_al-misky's avatar

Agarwood by Madini

One word to describe this "Agarwood" Fake! To anyone who has had the privillage to smell authentic real Agarwood regardless of its quality or origin, this attar has fake written all over it. I have smelled other "agarwoods" or "ouds" that are fake and they sell for 1/3 of the price of this Madini scent. The true Agarwood is complex, rich, animalic, subtle, and oh so luring, while this scent is more like if a tree was made out of plastic this is probably what it would smell like. Evan a cheap bad quality agarwood dosnt smell anything like this, usually they smell burnt or like cow manuare but not nausiating and un-natural like this one. I would not be so dissapointed in this attar if I hadnt smelled the same thing from a same size bottle sold on the counter of a family owned butcher shop and sold for $4.00 right next to the $0.99 sesame candy.

abubakr_al-misky's avatar

Zahfran by Madini

Zahfran is a pleasent smell. Smells just like a small box of saffron. Pungent, floral, and slightly sweet. This is a monotoned fragrance but one must remember that this is an attar, not a perfume coming from some fancy french perfume house. This fragrance is built on tradition, and being authentic to tradition.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

As people have stated, lemon juice. Very little development to any mid or base notes and couldn't possibly tell you what other notes except a tangy wood in the base. £52 or $104 a pop. I could make this stuff in my kitchen. What a let down; shouldn't be seen on the same shelf as the original Allure Homme or Allure Homme Sport.

JaimeB's avatar

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Smooth and stunning in its opening, this scent is a pure floral-aldehyde masterpiece. The aldehydic rose-violet note makes its appearance alongside the top notes, and then the whole settles into its floral-aldehyde heart and woody oriental and musky base notes, quieting a bit and dropping a notch from its initial peak. The rest of the ride is milder, and more intimate and charming as it wins you over with seductive murmurs of slightly powdery sweetness.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

I would really like to love this one, but I don´t. It is way too strong for my skin. I envy them who carries it well! Thankfully I adore Agent Provocateur Eau Emotinoelle instead. Maitresse isn´t bad either, but Eau Emotionelle is my favourite among Agent Provocateur´s perfumes.

Rochas Femme (new) by Rochas

I am really sorry to say that this famous classic, Rochas Femme, don´t work on my skin at all. It just smells like a spizy cace, no fun or beautiful at all. Thankfully I wear Madame Rochas very well instead.

Madame Rochas (new) by Rochas

I got the possibility to smell both Madame Rochas and Rochas Femme once, and the one of these perfumes that suited my skin was Madame Rochas. So I had to have a bottle of her. I never regereted that, it is a very easy-to-wear-fragance, and still interesting. It is available at a very good price, too.

I red at a perfume-blog on Internet, that this frag is as the perfume for Jaqueline Kennedy. And I do agree. It is truly beautiful, and not at all "old".

Don´t let the namne stop you from trying Madame Rochas. It is a lower-price-alternative to Chanel No 19, at least to my nose!

Madame R getst two thumbs up from me!

20th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th June, 2008)

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

I adore the bottle, and I would really like to adore the perfume, too, but it is not made for my skin. It becomes way too sweet when I wear it! I am really sorry!

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

I tried this perfume at once, the only time I have found it, and it was because of the good reviews it got here at Basenotes. And I am so glad I did! I adored it at once, and got a bottle! This is something I do very seldom! Pamplelune is a very unique frag, indeed. Most probably it will be my summerfragance next summer! It is such a pitty it is so hard to find other than a few Guerlain-perfumes in my country!

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

Flowerbomb is not for my skin, it becomes way too sweet and too uninteresting. I am sorry.

Burberry London by Burberry

I would like to love the Burberry fraganses, but most of them are too heavy and too sweet for my skin. The exception is Burberry London. I wear this one very well. It has a freshness who makes it work for me. Thumbs up, and perhaps a full bottle in the future.

Maitresse by Agent Provocateur

Maitresse is a little more fresh compared to Eau Emotionelle, it is also a little more conservative, and also lacks a bit of personality. This is on my skin, of course. I do prefer Eau Emotionelle, it is so joyfull. - As we all have different skins, try out your own favourite!

rtamara41's avatar

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

This is a fragrance that has captivated me with its golden warmth. Its blend of woody notes is pleasing, it is warm and sensual without being at all heavy. It smells like love. It is impossible to wear this and not feel your heart opening.

odysseusm's avatar

Gingembre by Roger & Gallet

Fragrance notes: citrus, ginger, “oriental flowers”, musk
    This is an attractive eau de cologne, very much in the R&G style. In my opinion, that means a somewhat under-rated performer, quite competent if not brilliant. R&G’s in my experience don’t have a lot of initial flash but with a couple of sturdy applications they quietly maintain well all day. The florals here are lovely and so is the musk dry-down. There is nothing so pretty or sweet here that keeps me from wearing it. My one caveat is that there is nothing “gingery” about this scent. No spice, no crisply acidic tones or tangy wood notes that are found in freshly-sliced ginger. I think that is a hard note to render in a scent but it would be great to find.

scentsitivity's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

A really well-executed blend of citrus, herbs and rose. Very bright and sunny, I find it to be uplifting. A great introduction to rose for the man who may feel timid about rose in a man’s scent. I think it is better suited for a man than a woman. Its place as a classic is well-deserved. It lasts about 4 hours per application on me.

Joeda's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

warmth. honey, smoke, pepper. longevity is very good--it rises like a phoenix when you shower the next day (;

Scentologist's avatar

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

It takes the basic design of the original Eau de Cartier and to me, adds top notes of green apple. Oddly enough, the original version seems more green to me, or shall I say a more desireable green. The concentree gets acid and sharp. This combination of sharpness and greeness throws the composition off balance which makes this whole thing acrid. It wants to deliver a slight singe to the nostril hairs. I don't like this rendition and I much prefer the original.

wtb's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

Totally slamming!!! The women are all over me when I wear this to the clubs. Highly recommended.