Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

valentinadellanotte's avatar

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Ahhhhh. This is a shower of lavender blue iris petals and soft scent. It does not smell like any recognizable iris, which are not known for their scent anyway. It is a perfect everyday for work or play, day or night. Men love it. I always get compliments, "ohhh you smell sooooo good" whenever I wear it.

The only problem is that I always choose it and neglect all of my other scents...

jathanas's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

This is a smooth scent. Spicy (tea-cinnamon) opening and sweet woody dry-down, its a winner. I suspect that the "experts" who declare this to be bland or ho-hum refuse to acknowledge any fragrance that isn't strong in the traditional 80s power frag kind of way. GPH II is subtle and needs to be appreciated differently.

trojan66's avatar

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

best by far with pure class!
    this is what real men smell like

hubert delauney's avatar

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

I love Patrick also. I get a little Irish Beach, The forest of St. Patrick up in Ulster --they manage to get a bit of the scent of the countryside in this one.
    Fresh yet warm. Nice!

kopah's avatar

Aromatic Lime by Montale

Smells just like the soap my grandmother used to use. Not really "citrusy" at all - if it is lime, I have to agree it's the skin. Reasonably pleasant and inoffensive, but emphatically not worth the price.

pomeraniansiamese's avatar

Germany Germany

Poison by Christian Dior

In one word:GHASTLY.
    This is a controversial fragrance. It inspires either intense devotion or extreme revulsion. The latter is my reaction too. I despise the almost grape-cough syrup odor, synthetic berries perhaps? It also has been known to incite strong asthma attacks in asthmatic people, and terrible allergic reactions in allergy sufferers.

charlielu's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

After using this, I've found the AdG I usually use to be too sour and boring compared to Bvlgari Aqva.

With AdG you tend to get tired of that strong tangy citrus note but with the Aqva there is a faint mysterious note that is not annoying.

Karenin's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I first bought A*MEN in 2000 as I had fallen in love with the fragrance. I thought it was original and different compared to other same-smelling mainstream fragrances. And it was my first designer fragrance. I remained faithful to this one for about 3.5 years, and then decided to kiss it goodbye and move on to something else. I still have a little bit left and the othe other day, just for the heck of it, I sprayed a few drops on my neck before going to bed. I shouldn´t have because I had problems falling asleep, thinking "I used to love this one?!?". I don´t know, it just seemed overpowering, too ruthlessly present. I can understand why people either love it or hate it- but to me, this controversial reception is an essential property any well-made fragrance should possess. I probably won´t return to it, but it does bring back a lot of fragrant (and other) memories...

No. 5 by Chanel

Absolutely agree with Lilybelle! Chanel Number 5 Sensual Elixir is definitely my top "boudoir fragrance". Classic Chanel N 5 is more likely to produce desired emotional response in the altered EDT version, again, slightly layered on Sensual Elixir. The powdery reliance is absolute retro in Chanel number 5, but it is an iconic fragrance that becomes YOU. Primitive response I heard from men upfront about it: "Smells like an old lady". Well, somthing to think about: does it mean it is recommended for young, slim, beautiful women? I think it is for a sensual "woman within" for all ages, but is even more relevant for the ones in search of their sensuality.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Hypnotic Poison is so powerful, that I can never figure out the right amount to use to prevent a sure-to-come nausia. But I am willing to take my chances. With rather vulgar musk and vanilla, it is so non-perfect in a non-beautiful and non-refined way, but a must-have for a fragrance junkie! The scent has hypnotic power to balance mood swings and produces an instant pleasant body and mind response. It is definitely an "ineractive" and "social" scent, and not the best-kept egotistical secrete!

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

If I were a teen experiencing Hanae Mori for the first time, I would scream; "This is it! This is the ultimate fragrance I have ben looking for! It is so sweet and likable, but so single-minded, confused and yet non-sensual. It does nothing to my imagination but makes me want to smell more of it for a continuous period of time. Smell it it the room - big yes, smelling like it - no.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I crave Lolita Lempicka, and I don't own it yet! It breathes lightly and waves at me with ozone-fresh and sophisticatedely fruity tandem. Spring in the bottle, it is a great outdoor wedding fragrance for a non-clishet bride who is not into lavish floral arrangements.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

If you want to smell like a pimp, spray a whole oz of this fragrance on yourself at a department store before bar-hopping. I testify the scene of a heterosexual-looking male taking advantage of this "know-how" was whitnessed by me tonight, just 3 hours ago. Do not be in near proximity of this chemically-infused cloud out of danger of immediate enausiation.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Excellent fragrance for women wanting to impress other women. Wear it instead of your Coco one of the May evenings, and you will feel your girlfriends' noses up and down your neck. They will never guess what you are wearing but will be mesmorized by the aroma and stunned by your honest reply.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Cowboy in leather pants who has just been chopping wood, setting up fire and is about to smoke a sigar. This fragrance apeals to women with exaulted imagination like mine. I would not wear it but would want my manly-man to smell exactly like that!

Noraed's avatar

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

This is the best scent I ever smelt. It is my favourite perfume. I liked it when they added mandarin at the top and Ylang ylang at the middle. It is an Oriental – Floral type of scent. It is good for people who like the scent of vanilla and sweet.

Adidas Moves for Her by Adidas

This stank bad like some chemical warfare crap or like a bug spray. So strong and sharp that it brought tears to my eyes every time I sprayed it! Thank god it was a very small bottle! Pew! Just bad! Sickly sour stuff!

Sweet Honesty by Avon

Sweet, powdery, clean sums this one all up. I liked it better in the bottle than on me because I smelled similar to those Bounce dryer sheets. Not good! I mean, who wants to smell like a laundromat? Good starter scent for little girls, preteens, or those not too keen on wearing strong perfumes. It just smelled too phony to me. I think I'd rather wear that Love's Baby soft or plain baby lotion, powder, etc., than this. Not Avon's worst, but not it's best either. And yes, it has that distinctive Avon odor at the end which, probably, made it smell cheap and phony.

Rare Gold by Avon

A good one from Avon, which totally threw me, since they usually all suck! But as much as it smelled nice, it had no staying power, nada, nothing at all. My mom got the second bottle and she also liked this. It's soft, amber-musk like on me. Nothing to scream about, but, nice. Boring, plain. But it didn't stink like Avon's others. A good choice if buying from them.

Imari by Avon

This tops my list of barf inducing perfumes. Awful, just awful. And on everyone. This is thick, rich, smoky, but a sickening sweet odor. Like you're trying to cover up bad body odor or something. Just nasty! It's a strong incense perfume. I totally see my mom wearing this toxic waste, really. She loves patchouli oil and Tabu. This is somewhat similiar because they're all heavy and smoky. Yuck! All fingers down on this one.

Haiku by Avon

Not bad, for being Avon, that is. But, it has that Avon signature smell at the end. Like it's cheap, old smelling, and not as in old lady, like as in it's been sitting too long. It's soft, flowery and powder like. But boring, like most of Avon. Really, I don't think I'll ever like Avon's perfumes.

Happy by Clinique

Wow! This is some strong stuff! It smells fun and sparkly in the bottle, hence the name Happy. I get it, until I put it on! Whew! It stinks of cheap and sharp chemicals! Too brash and way too strong! This isn't shy at all! In fact, it's loud and in your face. It screams, "Notice me!" And we all do, believe me, we do! It's also sour smelling at the end and so, I just was not happy at all. Not at all.

Émeraude by Coty

I'm blown away by all these good reviews! Seriously, this stuff reeks bad! My mom loves this and I can't figure out why! I guess I should be happy when she wears it, because then I don't have to smell that other stinky stuff patchouli oil. Oh, LORD! Or Tabu! Or Maja! Why does she like the stinkies? It does dry down nicely to a powder, but, well, it's too chemical like! Too sharp! When applied lightly, then maybe I see this being okay. Not for me.

Wild Musk by Coty

Not as nice as Jovan Musk or my signature scent, Jovan White Musk, but it was nice and playful. A bit different. I like musks, so this was worth a try.

Sand & Sable by Coty

I like this, but, well, I smell like suntan lotion! It smells flowery on others, but on me I smell like Hawaiian Tropic. I picture a day at the beach lying out in the sun on the sand with the waves crashing ashore drinking a pina colada..................Pretty on others, but not on me!

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

Yucky! Too strong. After awhile it softened to a powder, but I couldn't get past the strong spiciness of it! It was a bit chemical like as well. On another gal it worked well though. I even complimented her on it and was surprised that it was Exclamation.

Vanilla Fields by Coty

Not bad, but, boring. I really didn't sniff any vanilla, it was more of a powdery floral. Pretty and feminine, but blah..................

Vanilla Musk by Coty

Not a bad vanilla. I liked the Dark Vanilla better. But this was softer, not as sweet as the Dark Vanilla. Still, it was a bit boring. I love musks, but this didn't do anything for me.

Longing by Coty

This was very pretty and feminine. Easy to wear as it was soft and never offensive to other noses. Besides the Aspen, this is a winner from Coty. I don't see it in stores anymore, but it's online. It dries down to a powdery floral musk. Very nice and a bit more pricier than other Coty fragrances, which means this is more of a quality fragrance.

Aspen Sensation by Coty

My husband thought this was the original Aspen just repackaged.........oh, so wrong! This chemical crap really stinks! It was too chemical like on me and it was sour smelling! It's trying to be aquatic/marine and it's so not! It's a bug spray! Yuck, just yuck!