Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Dark Vanilla by Coty

I liked this one. I usually hate sweet stuff, but this was very warm and sultry to me. It wasn't bad at all, nothing to go wild over, but okay. For a cheapie, this was a good vanilla, I say was, because I can no longer find it, which must mean that it wasn't a big hit anyway. Oh, well, so many vanillas, so little time!

Dulce Vanilla by Coty

Dark Vanilla was VERY nice! This was too sweet, sickly smelling for me. Very much like candy. Where the Dark Vanilla dried down and softened, this doesn't. IT also smelled a bit like plastic and cheap smelling. Not good at all.

Aspen for Women by Coty

This is one of the perfumes that I CAN wear! I also love Jovan's White Musk. This is outdoorsy and fresh smelling. I smell exactly like the bottle! It starts out with a strong alcoholic blast, but it soon dries down to something unique. It ends up as a type of powder scent on me. Never overpowering, so other noses will not be offended. I can bathe in this stuff and it's never too much! One of the best from Coty! And it's cheap. Can't find it anywhere but online.

Tabu by Dana

OMG, this nightmare is one of my mom's favorites from the drugstore. Although I really loathe this smoky, deep, rich stink bomb, my mom wears this well. I picture sulty, aggressive women wearing this, kind of like Miss Scarlet from that board game called Clue that I've always played back in the 80's. Yes, she was sexy, sultry, mysterious, confident. She probably wore this. To me, it smells of dirty sex. In highschool I had the guts to wear it and it was very strong, but it dried down to a dark, smoky musk. And the worst of it was that I couldn't get the stench out of my shirts! Even after repeated washings, it was still there! This should be bottled for chemical warfare-it never goes away! And most hate it! This will surely clear the room out! Warning:Use with caution(a little goes a long way!).

Chantilly by Dana

Of all the store bought perfumes, this is one of my favorites that my mom wears. Why can't she use just this, instead of those stinkies Tabu and Emeraude? Or worse, that chemical waste, patchouli oil. Chantilly is soft, powdery and feminine. It's a comforting scent that's light. I would even use it.

Heaven Sent (new) by Dana

Well, I never cared for Heaven Sent. It was too strong and chemical like when first applying that did dry down to a powdery soft scent. But, it was just, well, stinky. On my sis, it really stank because I didn't smell any soft powder scent from her, just that strong chemical odor. And it was a bit sweet smelling.

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

Yuck. And I knew it, too, because it's an ocean/marine/aquatic scent which I never wear well at all, because they turn sour on me. This did the same. And it was a bit too sweet for me as well. It's a sticky, sweet, candy like scent. Bubbly. The men's didn't smell much better either. They both smell cheap, too.

Tatiana by Diane Von Furstenberg

I had used this back in the 90's when it was very strong and sharp that it made my eyes water and my nose run. It was that strong. Thank god it softened down! And it was quite nice, still a bit strong for my tastes, but not awful. It is at the beginning. Then, I got a sample bottle at the .99 cents store and it's sooo weak and flowery, not at all like it was back then. Hell, it's a completely different perfume! Anyway, I'll pass.

Passion by Elizabeth Taylor

This was way too sweet smelling to me. It never dried down to anything but a sickly sweet, fruity scent. Yuck! I just don't do fruity/aquatic scents well at all.

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

Way too moldy smelling to me. Stale. Old. I thought it would dry down to a soft powdery musk, nope, it's an old stale and moldy odor that lingers with a vengeance. This smells like death. A funeral. Like dirt. Old rotting corpses. I think everyone gets the idea about this stench. One of the worst I've smelled. Avoid it.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

Cheap and phony, like it's trying to be clean laundry or something, but didn't quite make it. Very strong and chemical like. This would make a great bug repellent. Really. It's quite potent. It dries down, but it just stinks awful. There's nothing clean about this.

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

This stank. Too strong and chemical like. I don't like most Estee Lauder perfumes because they're all outdated smelling scents. Okay, they stink.

Knowing by Estée Lauder

Very strong. And it stayed that way. It was a dark, thick, incense like scent. Too heavy for me. I like the lighter stuff. This stank, but then, Estee Lauder's stuff usually do. Sad, really, when they make fabulous makeup.

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

I know they've changed it from the original formula. It's not as sharp and crisp as the older version. It's still nice, soft, clean and flowery, but not the same. It's almost too soft. So, this would be perfect for those who don't like strong scents. My mom wore this back in the 70's, yup, when it was the good stuff. I liked it better than, but I still like it. Just watered down, I guess. It reminds me of coming from the shower. It is a bit soapy, now that I think about it.............

Delicious by Gale Hayman

This is a screamer. Too sweet and very loud about it. It was barf inducing to me and it's like that when others wear this juice. Too much candy going on that I couldn't stand it! It's like a cheap candy shop. And boy, can you smell this sweet concoction from far, far away! Most of the gals I knew who wore this was a bit old. God, how they stank! If only they knew!

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

This chemical waste absolutely stinks! And on everyone I've ever smelled it on! Friends, sis, yes, I confess, even me! Very strong and pungent, in your face scent and it doesn't soften. It stays strong and stinky. There's nothing soft or feminine about this. It's sweet and sour like. Bad, just bad. And it gets worse. My sis wore this throughout highschool and I wore the Red. Boy, we sure stank back then! Sorry, I can't say anything nice about this scent and along with Emeraude, Tabu, Patchouli oil, this tops my barf inducing list of the worst perfumes ever! Really, it should be bottled for a bug spray! It's that bad!

Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Okay, the Giorgio that my sis wore absolutely stank baaad! But this wasn't too bad, not great, but not awful like the Giorgio. This is what I remember wearing throughout highschool after that awful Tabu insident. It is strong and a bit chemical like, but it was also fruity like and it was sweet. Maybe a bit too sweet because I remember I never reacted friendly towards it. It wasn't a favorite then and it's not now. It was too gut-wrenching for me so I've clung to the musks ever since. Just can't do most perfumes.

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

This is another favorite of mine, besides the musks, that is. This is a fun, playful, a bit fruity kind of scent. So I was shocked that I liked it and just as shocked when it worked for me. It wasn't too sweet like I thought it would be. It dried down to a soft, fruity powder scent. I really didn't catch any florals too much in this.

Guess (original) by Guess

I kind of liked this one. It was spicy but not too strong or sickly, like some of these spicy scents are. It was sharp when first applied, but it softened quite a bit at the end, which made it nice. Too bad it's not available anymore, as I hear the new one sucks.

Joy by Jean Patou

So 80's and boy, did the 80's reek bad! This stench is no exception. Bad. Just a strong, sweet floral that smelled cheap! It stayed on forever and it could be smelled in the next state even! It turned sweet towards the end, so it was quite nauseating. A good ole' barf inducer.

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean-Charles Brosseau

I wore this back in the 90's and liked it when it dried down because it was a soft powder. At first, it is strong and quite floral, but it dried down nicely. It's a pretty and feminine scent.

Jovan Musk by Jovan

A nice musk. Not as good as my signature, Jovan's White, but it is nice. Better than that funky Wild Musk. Don't like that one too much. This is a much cleaner musk, a more true musk. Thank god for musks, otherwise I would wear never wear perfumes.

Jovan White Musk by Jovan

Drum roll please! I've finally found the perfume for me! I've thrown out the trash only to keep returning to this soft, clean, floral musk. I love it! And you can't overdo it with this like the others. People know me by this wonderful stuff. Alot of people have said it smells cheap, but not on me! It smells refined and elegant for a musk. My sis wears this and it's a bit too floral on her that I don't like it, on her, that is! Now on me, it's a much different and better story! I smell just like what's in the bottle! Never have I had that happen! Finally, a scent that's not deceiving. I love musks, so I knew this would work. But this is more soft and feminine than the other musks, like the Wild Musk or Jovan's Musk. This is much nicer in my opinion. So soft and pretty! Never offensive. Love, love, love it! All fingers up on this one!

Design by Paul Sebastian

This smells like it would be a fun scent, until you put it on. It stank bad, yes, like some chemical waste, similar to bug spray. It's sparkly and sharp. Much too strong for me, not soft at all.

Ming Shu Fleur Rare by Yves Rocher

I liked this at first, but then it smelled different on me! At first it was kind of soft, flowery and powdery, later, it was strong and chemical-like! Too pungent to me and a bit sour. It was a bit marine like. Hmmm...................

Aspen for Men by Coty

My husband wears this and I love it! It's fresh, outdoosy and clean smelling. It's not powerful stuff and I like how it softens a bit after awhile. Good cologne for being in stores. Great price, too! I think it's the best of Coty's!

Greenbriar by Caswell-Massey

I've purchased this for my husband many times and we like it. It's kind of soft, not loud at all. On him it's very clean and fresh smelling. Not strong at all. Although I like it, it is a bit boring, blah, plain.

Homme Nature by Yves Rocher

I buy this for my husband and we both like it. On him it's a refreshingly cool, light scent, not at all too strong. Although I like it, it's a little on the boring side. There's nothing really unique about it. Nice and comforting.

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

God, didn't most classics stink? Here's no exception. This was too sweet smelling and a bit feminine for a men's cologne. My stepdad had this and I hated it. Too soft. Thank god he preferred Obsession to this cheap sweet concoction. It's like bad B.O. in a bottle! Really! So nauseatingly bad.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I don't care for most of Calvin Klein's scents, too chemical, sweet smelling to me and on alot of people. But, for some reason, I find Obsession to be, well, an obsession! I really like this, on the right man, of course! Otherwise, it is too sweet and yucky smelling. It's nauseating even. My stepdad wore this to work and he was clean cut and well put together that this scent just worked magically on him. I remember that of all his colognes, and he had enough to fill a pefume's counter in a dept. store, this was my favorite. When I smell this, it does things to me, good things, I mean! It brings to mind words from that L.L. Cool J/Jennifer Lopez song....."Like I'm jumpin' on ya like I wanna, like I wanna, wanna.................".it's some club song, but I think everyone gets the idea! No other scent does that! It's one of Klein's best, I think. The others just stink.