Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

germanomio's avatar

France France

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

The EdT is fresh and light, opens with citrus/grapefruit and anise and a discreet note of cocoa and slowly evolves to a pleasant vanilla drydown with a bitter note
    Very different of all the man fragrances created in the last years
    Surely one of the most appreciable

The EdP (eau extreme) shares the same notes as the EdT but the citrus opening is briefer, the heart and the drydown are at the same time very bitter and sweet
    a masterpiece

nthny's avatar

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

I grew up in Florida and the beach and taking day trips in the boat really hold a special place in my heart. I received my sample of Acqua di Sale there, in Florida, and I had a chance to wear it in the setting. My mom and I sampled this together, and we both really crinkled our noses. Phew! It's more than a little off putting in the OPENING, with a strong Noxema-esque quality. I sense a melange of REALLY SOUR citrus coming together with sea weed to create this pungency, like extracting the bitterest part of the opening of a lemon/lime peel (just the sensation, not the actual fragrance note). It is so bitter at points, it actually makes my mouth water. After about an hour, when a lot of that pungency dissipates, it's not completely unlike imagining sticking your head over the side of a boat on a REALLY SUNNY DAY and dunking your head under, mouth open, and getting a little up your nose too.

So, in Florida I really didn't enjoy it. But now that I've returned home, it takes me right back to riding in the boat with my dad and the dogs: The smell of drying salt water on the dogs' fur, the smell of acidic slightly poluted Gulf of Mexico water. It's the smell of untying boat line from the dock, it's the smell of this scene: huge white boats, sails reaching toward the sky, barnacles, big blue sky and pillowy white clouds, sea gulls, salt and sun soaked beach furniture, warping boards of wood, the sun directly overhead putting a smile on everyone's face. Now that I've worn it several times, away from the beach, I'm sold.. it's a fantastically evocative fragrance.

TheRomantic's avatar

Dunhill by Dunhill

This will and always be my signature scent. No other fragrance has impacted me and my life the way this has. Yea Yea Impacted sounds a little extreme. I've recieved immense amount of compliments with this. The Lemon top note combined with geranium gives off a nice clean fresh feeling but with added depth. As the scent progresses I find the beautifully comprise basenotes kick in and well it just gets incredibly sexy. Definatley a lady killer.

03rd April, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2008)

archaic's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

CK Truth will make you feel wet. Seriously, the scent makes you feel wet. A bit melony, aquatic, and a bit too common. Can be cloying if overapplied in hot weather (like Malaysia). Slightly sweet, but not sugary or honey sweet. Longevity is half day on my body, one whole day if sprayed on shirt/fabric. Overall it is a good fragrance.

HDS1963's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

I used to wear this all through the 80s and haven't bought it since, which surprises me because I used to love it and yes, ladies loved it too. I might have to reinvest in some...

HDS1963's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I think this is the best Iris scent I have ever smelled full stop. It's the only perfume in my wife's collection I covet,

I understand that Prada are to bring out a male version of this. But they needn't bother since on a male skin this smells very different anyway, how do I know? Because I am wearing it right now and I have male fragrances which smell more feminine than this does on male skin.

In the same way as Terre D'Hermes transforms on a woman's skin to a shimmering light fragrance, so Infusion D'Iris changes on male skin.

This is one of the best fragrances male or female of the last few years and deserves to become an all time classic. Thumbs up seems too small a gesture of praise for this absolutely stunning fragrance.

Every woman should treat herself to a bottle of this.

And men whose skin allows them to wear it should get themselves a bottle too!

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

One of the first frags I ever enthused over.

The zesty opening is beautiful, and I love the spicy heart (nutmeg and clove). To my mind this is an absolute classic!

03rd April, 2008 (Last Edited: 13th July, 2009)

Vetiver by Guerlain

Initially I thought "insect repellent". Then it occurred to me that I'm not being fair so on subsequent application I tried to understand the fragrance. The opening is fresh but not sweet or aquatic (good). The dry-down ... "insect repellent".

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Warm and inviting. A frag that will soothe on a cold night. Different but not for the sake of it - the basics are right. This doesn't last as much on me as A*men but it is not as challenging either. This juice could be the (illegitimate) grandson of Paco Rabanne or Azzaro. I know there are no obvious connections but it is more how men's fragrances have evolved.

hubert delauney's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

we were at a party and a woman was wearing this--I was captivated, and so was my wife-- my wife asked her if she was wearing something by Dior-- she was thinking Miss Dior Cherie maybe, (or the word Miss/Mademoiselle had popped into her head) but this scent was warmer and sexier than the lovely Miss Dior Cherie.
    The woman said "Coco Mademoiselle" and we all said "Chanel" at the same time. This woman smelled so good it was amazing.
    Since then I bought a bottle of the edp and it has been my wife's springtime '08 scent. I usually like a variety of scents but have been craving just this one lately.

Geekman1118's avatar

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Had my bottle for about a year an a half. It's a great scent to turn heads, I find that I need to wait roughly 30 mins after spraying before going out (personally I find the top notes a bit too intense but it calms down relatively quick).

It's in and probably will stay in my current rotation.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Yes, believe the hype. It is really THAT good. Sweet, sweet, sweet. Beautiful scent. I was anxious to try this gem so I went to theperfumeshop and the sales assistant who had sour breath sprayed it on my wrist. With this initially unpleasant experience I sniffed and dismissed A*Men as just a run of the mill fragrance. Luckily the weather brightened up and it got really hot. Worse still, I got into a stuffy bus. Here's where the magic began. The chocolate heavy scent began to project like nothing I have come across before. It was absolutely insane! I fel in love! Off that one spray, I was encompassed in a fresh but light chocolate cloud. People moved ever so closer. Whether this was because of A*Men or my rugged good looks ( he he), I will never know.

Canoé by Dana

The opening tickles my nose. This works best on a cool day in my opinion. It takes me back a few weeks where the temperatures were below freezing and I only had a jumper and a t-shirt. I was wearing Canoe. It surrounded me in this cool calming cloud of powdery sweetness. I never shivered once. It was so refreshing; which is a strange paradox given the conditions. It also reminds me of a moisturizer I used as a child. So I do get nostalgic. I do hate how it smells cheap but sometimes cheap is excellent. This is the case.

Longevity; 6 hours plus
    Sillage; 2-3 feet
    Strength; Intense opening 1 hour, moderate to subtle dry down 5 hours plus)

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

It was around 3 pm, about 7 hours after I had sprayed it and I was just socialising with some friends. Then it got very windy and a gale force proportion gust of wind burst through the window and swept my shirt. Suddenly a girl uttered " Who's wearing Joop? It turns me on". She followed the trail and finally decided I was the source. She then realised it wasn't Joop! Before she could correct herself on being so insulting, I smiled and said "Le Male.. Jean Paul Gaultier"

Quorum by Antonio Puig

The opening is almost 'sweet' but sharp and spicy all the same. This is probably the fruity topnotes in play. In a few minutes it becomes the uber masculine beast it is known to be. This is not for the feeble. It is really out there. The sillage is worrisome especially on a warm day. It seems to flatten all living and non living organisms within 3 feet. Not for the flower enthusiast as I can picture roses withering with this. Initially I hated this fragrance. Then one day I found myself craving it, so I wore it to sleep. That night I had an awkward dream where I was being constantly dogged by a strange smell. I woke up and this smell was still with me. I realised the culprit was Quorum!

In a nutshell, this has great longevity (8 hours plus) and sillage to match. Sidenote; the scent in the sillage is wonderful but the scent close to the skin is forgettable. This stuff scares me and I do get self conscious as it's very easy to overdo it. I'll always keep it in my wardrobe.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Words cannot describe how much I love this fragrance. I just cannot describe it. Buy a bottle, I don't think a puny sample spritz will give you a fulfilling experience.

Sillage; 3-5 feet
    Longevity; 10 hours plus
    Strength; Intense opening, soft dry-down

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Héritage by Guerlain

First impression of the initial spritz was "oh no, no, not for me, but let's see how it develops". An hour later it dried down to something comforting and familiar but still something I wouldn't wear. It was too mature of a frag. for a person my age (25). As I kept on sniffing, it kept on developing into something very soothing and very, VERY familiar. Then it came to me...it smelled like my grandpa. On my next visit to my grandparents' house, I opened my grandfather's frag. wardrobe, and low and behold, there it was Heritage.

Maolo's avatar

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

Well...I'm sorry but i don't like this fragrance. It's too sweet, almost sickening to me. I smell it like liquorice/anise/fennel aromatized cotton candy and definitely don't like it.
    As nthny said it clashes with whatever you've got around...no good!
    By the way it sticks to my skin as if there was superglue in the concotion and had to wash my wrists a lot of time to take of this thing and the jumper twice...add a bit of bad memories about my ex-gf (she was the one who spraied me and the jumper alike, fortunately just once) and you've got a bottle of perfume you don't like you'll never use again and a jumper you really like you'll never use again too because every time you try to wear it memories of this sickening sweet scent come back to mind.
    Buy it only if you're sure you want a whole day of sweetness and if you're sure nothing is going to ruin that day, otherwise...

03rd April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09th April, 2008)

ChantillyLace's avatar

Il Bacio by Borghese

Sweet and jammy with creamy white florals, reminds me of Vivid and Diamonds and Sapphires that I also love. Very sexy and feminine.

ChantillyLace's avatar

Tumulte by Christian Lacroix

A real flash back to the late 60's and early 70's, it has a very naughty and heavy patchouli. A great flower child scent.

W by Banana Republic

This is a "holy grail" fragrance for me and is one I return to time after time despite having a number of other way more expensive perfumes on my perfume shelf. I will even admit to stockpiling it! I fear that BR will discontinue it and so I have 3 full bottles of it in my fridge and a number of the minis scattered around. As other reviewers have noted, "W" is a great classic yet modern white floral. When I wear it or spray it in my house, it gives me that "calm, competent, all is right with the world" feeling. It also reminds me of a cool breezy evening in San Francisco driving through the Presidio, about to have a sophisticated evening somewhere in the City. If I could only have one fragrance, this just might be it.

(Note: I have also posted my review on MUA)

Philtre d'Amour by Guerlain

I really wanted to like Philtre d'Amour. The reviews of it elsewhere were so glowing and I usually like citrus notes so I thought this would be for me. Sadly, it was not. It starts out smelling like a piece of lemon hard candy with a sparkly touch. Then then nice lemon note left and it becomes more of an aggressive masculine type scent - perhaps the petitgrain? Anyways, it kept intensifying and after 15 minutes I wanted it off my skin. It just became annoying! And that lasted for about 8 hours. Ugh.

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I got an eagerly awaited sample of Iris Silver Mist and on me, it smelled like an ashtray. A luxurious ashtray owned by an elegant lady in the 1950's but ashes all the same. By the way- it lasts a VERY long time....

03rd April, 2008 (Last Edited: 18th April, 2008)

Antonia's Flowers by Antonia's Flowers

I had this years ago and it is such a distinctive scent. Its zippy high octane freesia note is not for everyone but then again, this is a unique perfume that is not trying to be all things to all people. It is great in the summertime if you are wearing a crisp white shirt having a margarita (or 2) on a sunny patio somewhere. It is also a v. strong scent so make sure you know that before dousing. The best memory I have of this scent is wearing it when I clerked for a law firm back in the 80's and this mousy nerdy male atty came up to me and told me that my perfume smelled "exciting". (?!?) That's Antonia's Flowers for you!

(note: I have also posted my review on MUA.)

Black Rosette by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Black Rosette smells like Bandit's little sister to me. It has a wierd medicinal camphor smell at first but then mellows out quickly and the scent of a soft old leather suitcase gently comes through. I don't think I ever caught a rose note - maybe because it is so expertly blended. Would be interesting on a man, I think.

Narcotic by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Narcotic was intensely strong and "green" at first. I got a whiffed of uncooked rice - you know that musty/dusty smell you get when you open a new bag of white rice? Anyways, shortly thereafter the Tuberose note came ROARING out! It became overwhelming and very annoying. I gave me a headache so I then tried to wash Narcotic off my wrist but the scent would not go away. Ugh.

Untitled / Lady Day by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Has a light sweet lemon top note - kind of like "Lemonheads" candy. It is pleasant but I am not sure what all the fuss is about or why it merited a full review on the PErfumed Posse. Anyways, the gardenia note surfaces and it becomes velvety and lush. It has good sillage. However, in my view, JAR's Jardenia and Mona di Orio's Lux blow this away

Vine by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Vine has a strong earthy vinegary smell that eventually calms down into a nice, inoffensive floral that actually does not last all that long.... The top note reminded me a lot of JAR's Shadow perfume with its weird pickle juice note. I would never wear Vine (this was just a SIP sample I tried) but I respect the fact that the perfumer is trying to do something different and creative.

(Note: I have also posted my review on MUA)

Trapeze by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Trapeze- This smells like a spicy little carnation. It was not complex at all but with SIP's Tour d'Ivoire on my other wrist, I certainly preferred smelling this.

Tour D'Ivoire by Strange Invisible Perfumes

At the risk of offending lovers of this scent, it honestly smells to me like being in the Paris Metro and that cleaning fluid they use there. It has a green clean-ish smell that is indefinable and not bad - just odd. The SIP website says it has mimosa, french lavender, indian plumeria and galbanum but I could not detect any of that. I found it very annoying after a while.