Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Preferred Stock by Coty

Just sniffing the bottle I can tell this was/is going to be a nauseating scent. It is! It dries down to a dirty powder smell.........kind of like death, dirty, stinky sweat. Yuck, yuck, yuck! There are better Coty choices....Aspen, Gravity. This is a barf chunk inducer. Seriously, it's on my barf list.

20th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09th June, 2008)

Alyssa Ashley Musk by Alyssa Ashley

I am the queen of musks! They just work for me! They're clean smelling. This one is very feminine, fresh and clean smelling. I can't see it for a guy, nope, not at all! A bit too feminine. Very nice.

20th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09th June, 2008)

Comme une Evidence by Yves Rocher

This smells really pretty-in the bottle, that is! On me it stank badly of some chemical waste! Too bad because I really wanted it to work for me! Oh, well! So many perfumes, so little time!

Pur Désir de Gardenia by Yves Rocher

This was just horrible to smell! I thought it might lighten up when I wore it, but, nope! I just got a very strong, stinging chemical waste odor from this. Way too spicy! Yucky, yuck, yuck!

Rare Pearls by Avon

Oooh, I really don't like this one. Imari is way worse, but, this stinks so sickly sweet, that I can't stand smelling it without wanting to barf chunks! My aunt-in-law had come over one day having bathed in it and she left this chemical waste floating all throughout my house. And it was so bad! An older gal might enjoy this, but I don't know, it is very sweet smelling. My house wasn't rid of this stench until the next day, and even then I smelt leftovers. Yuck, yuck, yuck Avon!

Jean Nate by Revlon

A spicy, bitter lemon scent. Too sour smelling for me with a sharp zing that hits your nose. Not nice and pleasant to splash on after a bath at all. I'd rather have something soft, clean, powdery. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

abubakr_al-misky's avatar

Almaktoub by Madini

Madini's Version of Drakkar Noir, and a pretty good one at that. I have smelled many other versions of Drakkar in attar form and thison ein my opinion is the best. Fresh, Masculine, Herbal and I love the Juniper. The big suprize about this attar is that it rids itself of the 80"s era perfume feel, and stands alone as just a really good smelling attar. Its only downfall I would say is that through the years it's been getting weeker in strength.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

Like waking up by being punched in the face by your little brother. With your wits about you, it would be possible to dodge but if it catches you unaware it hurts for hours.

Very wrong. A hugely strong over-sweet cocktail of irritating cluttered business. Away foul beast.

jingles's avatar

Fusion by Fabergé

Citrus and vanilla shoul not= vapona fly spray ! but there you go the pluss points are it dissapears within 30mins

jaelynn's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Perfection for hot muggy southeastern summer mornings when simply rising from bed to be about the workday can be enervating.

A delightful bracing green opening - citrus peel and a magnified green petitgrain hit the nose and send a message that maybe, just maybe, getting up and movijng would be a good thing. From there a very pleasant unsweetened citrus peel scent that is perfection for the commute to the office - cutting the opression of hot asphalt and exhaust fumes. Drydown is exquisitely clean without being sharp, cloying, or overtly chemical. It's just like a very good very expensive neroli scented soap - and gives a sense of proper cleanliness throughout the working day.

This may well be the ur office scent. That elusive beastie that is pleasing, well crafted, with a certain crisp gravitas that focuses rather than distracts.

Strollyourlobster's avatar

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

With Piper Nigrum and Yerbamate squarely in the category of olfactory parlor stunts, it's easy to slight this perhaps unremarkable but elegant and comfortable fragrance. Well-balanced between a citrus cologne and a light chypre, with an interestingly shifting incense kicker. Not the sweet incense of No. 88 but the resinous frankincense of Diptych's L'Eau Trois. Companionable but gentlemanly like an old, perfectly fitted blue sport coat. When the hand reaches in the perfume cabinet absently on the way out the door, looking for something thoughtful and comfortable, it often comes to rest on this small, blue bottle. Which, I notice, is nearly empty. Although Uomo doesn't inspire wonder or raptures, I wear it more often than anything else, especially in warm weather.

dalailama1's avatar

Greece Greece

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

Strange perfume. Mysterious. Fresh Fruity Spicy and woody. Nuances of the scent come and go. Soft but long lasting. U think that its gone but its there.
    I think that its a very very interesting scent that could be an artisan release.
    Great job.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

cK one Scene by Calvin Klein

Coconut's review is right on.
    I like this alot, and it is hard not to like. I would dub this CK Be summer becuase of the obvious relation. It is worth going into one's collection, and definately a great summer fragrance. Nicely done!

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Comme des Garcon 2 Man immediately comes to mind here, as well as the obvious link to Gucci pour homme via that special camp fire smell. It is a bit sweet in the opening, kinda strawberryish, but not to worry, the sweetness is put in check by the said camp fire smell (amber). I think this is more for women to enjoy. Thumbs up for a well formulated fragrance, but there is no originaity here. Not surprised that this is a 'Liz" frag...she flat out copied D&G signature with the Realities fro men in the green/clear bottle. Now she is doing the same with this. At least Dirty English has a nice cool ring to it, Juicy Couture is doing well. Last long too.

21st April, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2008)

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Deep Night by Ghost

I love this unique scent! Deep but cool & smooth woody vanilla w/ touch of apricot & peach, the flowers in the background add a little creaminess.. really nice on summer nights.

The shower gel is a little masculine, the woods are more prominent.

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

1st try- Soft, dry incense, lots of rose! Nice cool scent for summer nights? 2nd try- Wore to club, dry incensy green chypre w/ intense rose. wow. Make that Intense Rose w/ incensy chypre background. A real standout. Still smell on skin in am. Good for daytime or hot night, not a "warm" scent.

In a masculine looking bottle that protects it from the light.

scentsitivity's avatar

Cornubia by Penhaligon's

Penhaligon’s describes Cornubia as a semi-oriental. Published notes are as follows:

Head Notes: Mandarin
    Heart Notes: Freesia, Neroli, Orange Blossom, Jasmine and Heliotrope
    Base Notes: Vanilla, Musk, Woods and Amber

Cornubia is a sweet fruity-floral scent with a good measure of vanilla. Very feminine, very bright, very sensual. (The Penhaligon website describes it as “dark”. I sense nothing dark here at all). Quite pleasant and while I do not like it as much as Penhaligon’s other feminine semi-oriental, Artemesia (a favorite of mine), I do think Cornubia deserved more attention. Indeed, as of this writing, it is being phased out and is not being stocked in the USA. And I am but the second reviewer of this wonderful scent on Basenotes! Recommended for ladies.

scentsitivity's avatar

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords by Penhaligon's

Douro has qualities which are similar to Blenheim’s Bouquet (BB) and some that are opposite. It conveys a sense of dignity, reserve and class, much like BB. But while BB is has cool freshness to it, Douro has a warmth. Penhaligon’s classifies Douro as an aromatic. The opening is soapy clean, with bergamot and lime dominating. Sandalwood and musk are in the base, giving a warmth to it. Indisputably masculine.

21st April, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2010)

heythatslife's avatar

South Korea South Korea

cK one by Calvin Klein

CK One was one of the first fragrances that I bought for myself. As I began exploring the world of niche perfumery, I stopped using it gradually and eventually swapped away, in the blind belief that everything non-niche is inherently inferior.

I sprayed it on myself one last time before I put it in the box that was to be shipped, and oh my, what have I been missing all this time? Yes, it's linear, it feels somewhat artificial and it's not the most interesting thing out there. But it's pleasant in a demure, nondescript sort of way; blandness and abstraction taken to an art form. The experience was akin to rediscovering how good your local baker's everyday bread is, after having travelled all over the world for high cuisines.

jenson's avatar

India India

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

you will love it right out of the spritzer. very thin at start..but slowy the woods come in and theres this controlled powdery nature which adds to the aura. the smell in general is linear..but constant whiffs prove that this is one woody, incense based one with lot more depth and complexity. amazing lasting power and work like a charm during winters. will always be on top for me...there are some notes between this and the bulgari black which is similar.

jenson's avatar

India India

Rochas Man by Rochas

rochas man is very smoky, creamy bitter coffee scent...you could find it to be similar to an extent with the jacomo Rouge, but i would prefer jacomo anytime over the Rochas man. i do not understand the comparison between Rochas Man and A*Men...A*Men is bone dry and its gourmand qualities is so well blended that one would not even call it Gourmand.

im not a huge fan of such gourmands, maybe our climate(Humid) doesnt support these kinda scents..become quite cloying...please try before u buy.

21st April, 2008 (Last Edited: 16th June, 2008)

petruccijc's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Instead of spraying yourself with Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue pour Homme, you could get the same effect by spritzing yourself with a little lemon flavored Perrier.

This is one of the weakest, most boring scents I have encountered. Pretty much zero sillage and longevity - even below standard for a light summer scent.

Do yourself a favor and instead buy Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue (the women's version). IMO it is a far, far superior fragrance - and most definitely unisex.

barringtonm's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Blue Jeans by Versace

This is a type of a fragrance that makes noise quietly. It is different and has been one of my favourites. In fact I just bought another bottle today.

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

A true masterpiece.

I think a particularity of this fragrance is that it defies the traditional behavior of the top/middle/base notes, where the top notes are fleeting, the middle note stay the longest and the base notes are only detectable upon complete drydown.

Here, it's like the middle notes form a support structure for the top notes, that stay interwinded together for a few hours until in finally crashes down through it's foundations, and the sublime, elusive base notes appear out of nowhere to console you, and remind you to spray on some more in a few minutes.

Mint and lavender can often ruin a fragrance, but those are masterfully tamed in this scent, relegated to a supporting role, they only keep the top notes from running away too fast, yet only those that need to stay.

I think the sharpness is very tolerable, and I get the cleanness through the whole thing, even in the basenotes I can't find anything remotely dirty.
    I fact I'll go as far as saying it's my favorite clean fragrance.

For a lazy day at home, or office/classroom days where offensiveness might be an issue.
    I don't think of it as a seduction fragrance even though it is reassuring and got me a lot of compliments.

The only downfall is that you have to use every trick in the book to get some sillage and longevity.
    My favorite setup is to spray my neck often but only once on my wrists, because the base notes are so special and personal you don't want to ruin that.

Two thumbs up.

Jacomo for Men by Jacomo

Here's another scent I bought on a whim because I liked the sample vial I recieved.

To be fair it's nice for the price, all Jacomo fragrances are bang-for-your-buckers, the longevity and sillage are actually pretty good for that type of scent, but I got tired of the cloying sweetness.

The out of place pineapple is the main culprit here: an sharp-ish citrus note to balance the coffee beans and plum or a woodier base and a smooth lavender middle would make this infinitely more well-rounded.

I don't want to sound like a sweet basher, because I can appreciate a sweet/unisex fragrance, but this is bordering sticky-sweet and thus it's hard to pull it off.

Cool bottle altough the cap logo is a Chanel ripoff.

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

I'm not saying this one is for everyone.

After all, the bastard half-brother of the sport version of one of the less-respected men's Chanel is doomed to struggle in order to make a name for itself.

Pure Agression. That's how I'd describe it.

It opens with a razor-sharp citrus accord that, altough arguably one dimensional and lacking complexity, is powerful and overwhelming in a good way.

It is then a pleasure to detect the elemi middle note, the spices, the barely detectable coriander (just how I like it).

The cedar and musk base add a discrete seductive-sexy quality to this otherwise ultra-dominant fragrance.

I'm really trying to keep this a sport frangrance, and only use it when I actually work out, because I'm afraid it's a narcissist's fragrance, the intoxicating blast, if you can survive it, gives an intense psychological boost and by the time you're done with exercice, the sexy drydown leaves a strong feeling of confidence.

darien's avatar

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

Mouchoir de monsieur is the most intriguing, mysterious, hypnotic and seductive fragrance i have experienced. The first time I sprayed the liquid from that elegant bottle in an upmarket department store, I was a little horrified by the animalic quality (civet) that affronts your nasal passages. 'Something refined, highly regarded and expensive wouldn't smell like this?' I thought. And it seemed so 'alien' in its vast difference to any of today's bland, unisex fragrances.

But as the time passed, and the fragrance settled, it's seduction truly took effect. It wraps you in a soft, 'velvety' olfactory glow that carries you off to another time, another world, where incredible style and sophistication exist for those who desire it. With SO much character, today's world of mass-produced, bland unisex fragrances seem insignificant next to this aristocrat of the scent world.

Yes, it's expensive. (Though a bargain compared to Creed scents!) Yes, it's rare. But it will set you apart. It is not a man's scent. It is a gentleman's scent. For a prince among men.

21st April, 2008 (Last Edited: 23rd June, 2008)

Redneck Perfumisto's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I love this scent. Even my picky wife loves it. For me, there is a cedar-like accord unlike others, which never gets too loud, but has great persistence all day long. I compared it to a good dozen other potential buys in Sephora, but just found myself going back to it over and over again. I can see why Ellena thinks it's so important. It's a soft but masculine scent that is outdoorsy and sophisticated at the same time. For me, it's now "my" scent. I bought the deodorant stick to go with it, so that it wouldn't collide with my usual deodorant, and I'm happy to report that the Terre d'Hermès deodorant is the perfect complement, and keeps the volume constant all day long.

Interesting factoid - when it was still in the box, in my luggage, it slowly gave off a strange, sulfur-like smell which really had me worried. I'm not sure what it was - it had to be unusual to get through all that packaging. Most scents stay in the bottle, but this one wanted out. But once I actually opened it up and used it, the balance returned, and the sulfur smell fell back to a single, weak note in the symphony.

Redneck Perfumisto's avatar

Tokyo by Kenzo

I like it, but I'm going neutral on this just so I don't steer somebody wrong. This scent needs to be right for you, or else it will be a waste of money. The first time I tried it, I laughed. Kenzo Air? More like Kenzo Vacuum. Like, where's the beef? But when I went back in the store with my son, to show him just how much of a joke it was, it suddenly smelled great, and I "got" it. It opens like fresh fruit, goes to something fruity/woody and very interesting, and then dies down quickly to a faint wood. And Mokkie is right - ginger is always there. I like ginger, and I could drink ginger ale all day and I not even notice it, so I think that's why the other stuff comes through very interesting and I'm not put off by ginger notes.

My recommendation is to spray skin absolutely wet with the stuff to test it, and to spray strongly on skin if you buy it. In just a couple of minutes, you're OK for a crowded elevator. But if you baby this scent onto clothing, it's gone in 60 seconds.

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Encre Noire by Lalique

Very similar to Comme Des Garcons Man2 IMO, seems to be very linear I can smell only strong vetiver and wood. Very strong longitivity and sillage but gave me a headache