Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Jemimagold's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

Bandit starts off with a green peppery note and then develops into leather chypre fragrance with extraordinary sillage. It is *the* perfume to wear when you need a boost of self-confidence as it is strong, sexy and devil-may-care, but yet it is ladylike. If you like Mitsouko or Jolie Madame, you will understand and appreciate Bandit. However, if you like Anais Anais or Flowerbomb, this is unlikely to be the scent for you. Final cautionary note: A little bit of Bandit goes a very long way!

carlos319's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

I think this smells EXACTLY like Bond No 9 Wall Street!

Kaern's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

All men should try this at least once. All the attributes of the original, but with a nice woody drydown. Total class.

Kaern

Lady Stetson by Stetson

Spicy, sharp and cheap smelling.

Love's Baby Soft by Love's

Okay, first, the other Love versions stank. The original is the best, even though it smells a bit phony like to me. It's soft and dries to a powder, like baby powder! Duh! Wow! I mean, really, I'd just rather go out and purchase the lotion and powder instead! Nothing exciting here. But, good for the little girls and preteens.

Wings by Wings

I've come to the conclusion that anything by Giorgio Beverly Hills is going to stink. Think Giorgio, Red.......Wings doesn't disappoint in this case. It stinks like the other toxic chemical wastes Giorgio Beverly Hills produces. Way too sweet that it's barf chunk inducing. Nauseating stench and cheap.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

This smells so heavenly, in the bottle, of course! No, not on me! Others have worn this and it's pretty, but nothing like what's in the bottle! How so teasing! It's kind of fruity smelling, but I catch floral notes as well. It was a bit too strong at first only to dry down to a musty like powder. I thought this was one of the better scents to come out in the 90's. I still like the smell. Not on me, though. Only in that pretty bottle.

Realities (original) by Liz Claiborne

Sickly sweet to me. My sis wore it and same thing. A bit nauseating. I really don't care for Liz Claiborne's perfumes/colognes. They're cheap smelling to me.

Lucky You for Women by Lucky Brand

This is quite soft and powdery, but a bit too sweet for me. It's nice though. Kind of bland and boring. Too plain to rave about really. It was fruity which may explain why it was sweet to me.

Maja by Myrurgia

This is another of my mom's favorites that I'm beginning to think that she really likes stinking! I mean, okay, this is better than Emeraude, Tabu, patchouli oil....but, not by much! It's heavy, spicy and too much like incense! You know, like those triangle incense thingies you light on fire to smoke out your house? Yeah, those stinky things! Or those tall and thin stick things you burn.........yuck! Thank god she likes the soap better, as it's more nose friendly!

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

Whew-wee! This joins that barf inducer list along with Giorgio and other stinky, bug spray chemical toxic wastes! Boy, this really stinks bad! My sis wore this and that other stinky Giorgio in the 80's. I wonder, did anyone ever tell her she stank? Who the hell am I to laugh? I wore the Red and Tabu! TABU! OMG, the poor choices we had in the 80's! And it hasn't gotten much better! But this is a very strong and sharp scent that doesn't tone itself down at all. Very distinctive and not in a good way at all. It stings the eyes and snot begins to run from your nose on application. Very potent stuff! This is the stuff chemical weapons are made from! It's got to be! This would be perfect for a chemical weapon because it clears the whole room out! Seriously, this is rancid stuff! Every finger down on this stench!

Oscar by Oscar de la Renta

Way too soft and girlie for me. I mean, I even forgot I had it on! Hell, I could barely sniff it! Too floral for me as I like something with a bit more depth and intrigue about it. There's no interest here. Boring. And cheap smelling. But man! Does this stuff come in huge bottles! I've seen it at Beauty Boutique in huge ounces! Yeah, because they're trying to get rid of it! It's so bland, plain, blah, blah, blah. If you don't like strong stuff, this may be it for you, because it's one of the softest I've sniffed.

360 Degrees for Women by Perry Ellis

Gross. Too sweet smelling as in very nauseating. It smells good in the bottle, but actually wearing it is a totally different thing. And it's not a good thing at all. Very cheap smelling, too. Gosh, aren't most perfumes though? I have yet to come across anything really outstanding. Most are very blah, blah, blah. So is this. Even more so than others. I can't believe I wore it! I must've been in a drunken haze..........

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli

Okay, like I get this one confused with that one from Dana, Heaven Sent. Kind of similar on the dry down being powdery and soft. But both stink. They start out as quite strong and a bit chemical on application and dries down to a powder scent. Cheap smelling, too.

Safari by Ralph Lauren

Pretty, but too sweet smelling on me and you know what the sweet smelling juices do to me--stomach churning, not good! The men's is nice, though!

Enjoli by Revlon

Is this still around? Cuz' if so, I want to buy! And buy alot! This was one of my mom's favorite and now she wears bad odors like Emeraude, Tabu, Maja, and Patchouli oil......oh, if this is available, maybe she'd wear it and we'd all, finally, get to sniff something pleasant once in awhile! It's a soft floral and slightly sweet, but not too bad.

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

My cousin and sis wore this and I really don't see the big deal! It's too sweet smelling to me. Nauseating. And cheap smelling.

cK one by Calvin Klein

This stuff stinks! It's more masculine than feminine, so I smelled like a guy! Yuck! A guy at work wore this and I told him he stank awful. 'What! I payed over $50 bucks on this!' Oh, okay, like that means you're not supposed to stink, right? NOT! This is one of the worst I've smelled! And it smells cheap and sickly! It's very nauseating to smell and wear. One of Klein's worst. It's very sharp, crisp and strong when first applying, but that sweet-sour chemical odor! It's on my bug repellent list. And it stinks on everyone I've smelled it on!

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

I'm confused......to me Escape smells similar to Eternity? Both stink and both dry down to something sickly sweet, on my stepdad anyway. And the women's isn't any better. Same sickly sweet afteraffect. Really, what, besides Obsession, is good from Calvin Klein?

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I kind of like this one. It reminds me a bit of Aspen by Coty and Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche, but better I think. More elegant, refined. Drakkar is a bit too dark and nasty dirt smelling, and Aspen is quite mellow. I remember the boys in highschool wearing this and I would go into hysterics how they so overdid it that it stank. One guy even came into class drenched in the stuff that for awhile I hated the stench. Now that hardly anyone will wear it anymore, I like it. I like the older scents that so many men are staying away from because of the new "sissy" scents(too soft in my opinion). This is what a MAN wears. I like men who aren't afraid to wear the oldies but goodies. So sexy! Oh, and my man gets SO many compliments from the ladies when he wears this! Back off ladies! He's all mine!

PS by Paul Sebastian

My stepdad had this and it reminds me a bit of that Lagerfield. Both stink like B.O. drying down to something sickly sweet. On him anyway. Like I said on the review of Lagerfield, thank god he liked the Obsession more! Cheap smelling stuff.

Skin Musk / Bonne Bell Skin Musk by Prince Matchabelli

Not one of my favorite musks, in fact, my least liked. I remember when Bonne Bell had it, every girl in junior high wore it. Boring! It also smells phony and very, very cheap. Not a true musk, but good for preteens.

Caesars Man by Caesars World

One word. "Meh". It just smells cheap. I don't know if it's the similarity to Drakkar Noir or what, but I found this at a discount store for $13 and I think I overpaid.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Mine is a novice nose, and even though I've owned Eternity for years, I still can't figure it out. Someone else mentioned that the top notes don't 'match' the base notes. I really can't think of a better way to explain Eternity. It's an enigma, and not an entirely pleasant one. I can't see myself buying this scent again.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Ah, Obsession for Men. I absolutely adore this scent. It goes on sweet and dries down into a mellow amber tone. This is a classic. It's definitely a winter scent though ... no way can you wear this in the heat of summer.

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I used to wear Quorum when I was 19. I remember my manager told me "That scent doesn't suit you". Now I know why. Quorum is meant for the 40+ sophisticated crowd, not the under-25-still-partying type of man. There is no question, this scent is extremely assertive and dominant. It knocks you on the floor and orders you to stay down. Not simply because of how strong it is (one spray and you're good to go), but simply because of how masculine and dominant it is. The top notes are very spicy (perhaps a little TOO spicy), but it dries down into a beautiful tobacco scent. Don't be afraid of Quorum ... just ... be careful with it.

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

I agree with foetidus. Obsession Night for Men is absolutely no relation to Obsession for Men. OFM is a very spicy fragrance, whereas Obsession Night For Men is strong on pear with the slightest touch of cardamom. It dries down beautifully and has excellent longevity. Unlike the original Obsession For Men, ONFM can be worn on warm summer night without being overbearing or cloying. I love this fragrance.

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

My nose is not yet trained, but I love Euphoria. The top notes are sharp (fresh floral scents), and the base notes mellow and cozy (suede accented by vanilla). I find it to be an autumn fragrance, or (here in Canada), cool summer evenings. Like every other CK scent I've ever tried, this lasts for hours (probably why I'm such a huge fan of CK's stuff). I've had girls compliment me on Euphoria (and every other CK scent) 6 to 8 hours after I've applied it.

Bamacharm asked for other scents with Suede as a base note. I can think of two immediately whose base notes are similar to Euphoria. Obsession Night For Men, which is Suede and Vanilla (it honestly smells almost identical to Euphoria once it has dried down), or Guess Suede which is almost completely suede. These are two other beautiful scents.

Thumbs up for CK Euphoria.

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

Mine is a novice nose, but there's definitely something special about Quorum Silver. I loved the original Quorum and when I saw this at a local retailer, I thought I'd try it. I was expecting an assertive, dominant scent not unlike the original. What I got was a pleasant but masculine fragrance. It dries down well, and its longevity is excellent. I'm becoming a big fan of Puig's fragrances, and hey ... for the price, how can you lose?

40ish's avatar

Destiny by Marilyn Miglin

This is the best perfume I have ever smelled on a woman. My friend has worn this scent, sporadically, since I met her in 1997. She is very feminine, and has a chemistry and nose for perfume, especially the white flowers of Destiny. I have given gifts of Destiny over the years to several females, including my mother. They have since then regarded me as perfumier extraordinaire, a title undeserved but nonetheless accepted. They are always wanting to know if the latest scents are better than Destiny, or more feminine, and I can honestly say "No!" A perfume should be feminine, and Destiny is femininity par excellence.