Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Nautica Classic by Nautica

I alternated this with Polo Black last year and got 0 unsolicited stranger comments. 0 comments = 0 score. My deodorant got more than that. I agree with tvlampboy...waste of good glass.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

If there is a time when you don't give a damn how you smell to other people, then Polo is my favorite for that category. Would be great for a potpourri in a Nobel laureate's study, a cabin in Alaska, something 007 would wear while skiing...that kind of thing. Maybe Ralph Lauren felt like that when he was making it. I think it's synonymous with the attainment of the American dream, whatever that is to you. The emerald green of the bottle matches the color of the piney tree juice therein. If emeralds had a smell, that's what they would smell like. Just for the brashness, I give it a thumb's up.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Alternated this fragrance with Nautica in 2007 and guess how many unsolicited stranger comments I got...0. 0 comments = 0 score. My deodorant got more than that.

ga97's avatar

Moon Drops by Revlon

Great fragrance, rich floral bouquet concentrated cologne, with notes of bergamot, raspberry, peach, honey, carnation, tuberose, lily of the valley, orris, benzoin, moss, amber, sandalwood and musk.

21st April, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

I've completely revised my review and now give this a gentle thumbs down. It isn't a wretched scent, but in essence here's the problem as I see it: good wood burns off too quickly, fresh musk arrives too quickly.
    The orange notes are so fleeting as to be undetectable. The wood notes are good, woody and even spicy. But, very quickly it seems, the scent becomes cool, metallic and minty-fresh. As long as this mingles with the woods it is a rather intriguing combination. But the woods burn off very quickly and all I'm left with is a minty musk, which gets somewhat sweet in the dry-down.
    Smells like a generic "fresh" scent to me. And that is not a style I care for.

21st April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2012)

JimProfit357's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

(Edited from neutral to up)

Was my signature scent in my late teens, and I got a bit tired of it when I wrote my initial review.

In all fairness, it is a really good scent for the spring, a light and fruity citrus, nothing offensive but it has some depth to it.

The pear mint accord is the only thing that sometimes troubles me, as it can be a bit too sweet and synthetic for some people.

However, while I agree that this is completely 90's and metro and somewhat juvenile, I would still rank it as one of the better metro fragrances from the 90's.

21st April, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 July, 2014)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The noticeable opening of Navegar is the pepper. A couple kinds of pepper fill the nostrils followed by ginger, star anise, cedar and juniper, The mix of spice and woods smells oddly of filbert nuts. The warm nutty spice scent has a slight green base from lime/juniper. This is a great everyday fragrance that has a warm and spicey smile opening + the aura cleansing aspects of juniper oil in the base. One of the best all around daily wear fragrances I have found.

davinalondon's avatar

Emporio Armani White She by Giorgio Armani

gentle, warm and not overpowering at all. subtle and musky

Elf's avatar

Cadjméré 18 by Parfumerie Generale

I think this may be a scent where personal chemistry plays a big hand. On me, the cypress is dominant, the coconut and vanilla almost nonexistent. Myrtle is there, too, but subdued. Cadjmere is a winter forest that I can walk through in a big comfy coat, and I can smell someone baking something delicious a kilometer away. Fabulous winter staple. Strong stuff, though, go lightly.

JaimeB's avatar

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

An unusual, fresh leather scent, with different takes on leather combined into a smooth progression from fresh, through spicy, to woody-ambery notes with a hint of tobacco. The levels are knit together by a chypré theme with bergamot in the top and an amber-leather labdanum taking the place of oakmoss in the base. The impression is one of seamlessness and overall elegance. It cries out for cool or cold weather. It clings to one like a second skin, but is not a skin scent; i. e., it has a decent projection and sillage. Enveloping, warm, plush, comforting.

jasong9573's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

It is "Amen Flash" with a new name, but that is a good thing because it's a great fragrance and 100% original, just like all TM colognes. The opening is very fresh (think shaving cream), if not "icy", as the name implies and stays that way for along time, then dries into a lighter version of Amen. Staying power is very good. A few sprays last all day. High five to TM for not releasing the same old crap like other design houses do.

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

What is so special about the blend of green mandarin leaf, yuzu, nutmeg, tobacco etc... nothing distinctive but I do love the bottle design, very masculine.

All and all, it is a typical fragrance, a fragrance which is best said created just to make someone smells good, and if that would be its only purpose, indeed the frag has fulfiled it.

22 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2008)

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Excellent! A mellow scent with superb longevity. The citrus opening is not intense, the middle + the drydown is dark, sweet and seductive but not overpowering. It is a kind of seduction from within, a tamed beast, a true gentleman.

212 Sexy Man by Carolina Herrera

I'm a big fan of CH frags, I like CHIC FOR MEN, and 212 MEN very much and always looking forward to having this 212 SEXY MEN, and I did. The main attraction is I just love the deep/dark maroon color of the bottle, and the scent has a weak hint of the original version. The opening scent is superb, I would describe it as something that is fresh, and seductive, regardless of the notes, the opening is kind of a citrus splash with a touch of something that is sweet, (orange and honey perhaps?) The opening scent lingers for about only half an hour :-( Nothing much I can say about the middle notes, but the dry down is great, i would say that the dry down as something sweet and dark, it is like sandalwood, vanilla, coffee and smoke. All and all, the smell is really great but the longevity is extremely poor. Would last for about 2, 3 hours when applied on skin, but last for days on cloth.

22 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 June, 2008)

Zerby's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This is one of Calvin Klein's BEST colognes. I get this co-worker who would ask me from time to time
    when I'm going to wear this. I'll be buying a lot more
    of this when I run out.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Cirrus by Amouage

Definately NOT worth the money! Smells like a bunch of other cheap colognes, a bit like REALITIES Graphite Blue. What a total dissapointment. What were they thinking? DON'T BOTHER!!!
    DOUBLE THUMBS DOWN

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Reflection Man by Amouage

This is nice, a Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male in an Armani suit to my nose. none of the wild and brash muskiness, no lavender domination, just a nice mellow sweetness. It does smell a little synthetic though. A heavier application gives it strength, depth and more dimension. If I find it at half price, I might buy it. Otherwise, waaaay too expensive, and the juice is NOT unique or daring enough to warrant shelling out the dough.

scentsitivity's avatar

Design Attitude H by Catherine Memmi

For the first 90 minutes, it reminds me of stagnant water mingled with a bitter note. I don’t like either aspect. Then it becomes faint and clean; tolerable, but dull. And certainly not worth the wait. Notes (per Luckyscent) are green tea, nutmeg, bergamot. Not recommended.

fudull's avatar

Albania Albania

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

I found a tester vial of this in some shopping bags that I was going to discard and decided to wear it for the day. I did not have much in the form of expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Intense opens up strong, very different from the original which has that citrusy sprits that serves as the perfect pick-me-up in the summer mornings. With this version, I get a blast of woods and incense, though these are well blended and it is hard to detect the timing of each note. I don't think the overall effect is "intense" but rather more "heavy". I find this to be a completely different sort of fragrance, either way it is well done, and has a richness to it that the original lacked. For some reason halfway through the day I almost thought I had put on B*men, it gave a very similar vibe as the drydown was in full effect. I tend to like B*men so I like this one too, and I must say that longevity is quite good, 12 hours later it was still noticeable. which for me is one of the necessary characteristics for a purchase. Still, I am not in a hurry to rush out and buy it, after all, I still have to get the Bleue edition first.

acceptfacts's avatar

Nuits de NoHo by Bond No. 9

I can see the initial resemblance to Angel for women, however it gets lost quick when you realize the complexity of this wonderful frag and its smooth undertones. while angel punches you in the face while trying to overwhelm all your senses, nuits de noho captivates your olfactory senses evoking emotion of happiness and sensuality at the same time.... the pineapple in the background makes this fragrance wonderfully easy to wear and irresistible to everyone's nose.

AnnaBanana's avatar

Lizsport by Liz Claiborne

On me, smells overly-sweet and one-note, like a cheap drugstore fragrance, or even, alas, worse!

Zut's avatar

Marescialla by Santa Maria Novella

One of my co-worker wears Marescialla (Italian for "Marshal's wife" or "female Police Officer") and I love it. Of course, some might consider it a little too strong for casual daily use but it is warm, sensuous and original nonetheless. It also has an unbeliavable staying power. Is it outdated? Probably so. Marescialla may be an acquired taste but it does make a statement.

Bromo33333's avatar

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

This is a light, fresh, woody accord after an initial top note of pepper and citrus. It dries down into what seems to be a skin scent - but then you catch whiffs of it here and there - and others, if inclined to mention fragrances - will say that is projects well.

I suppose it is nose fatigue that keeps you from smelling it all the time or something, but this concoction with iso E Super "delivers the goods" and is easily wearable in the office and at night. You will project a scent just below the threshold of conscious smell, and have an aura of freshness. Superb!

BeauSoleil's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I wanted to say something fresh, uncommon and informative about Opium. I wanted to sound omniscient and, even, clever. But like most consumers who share their opinions on Basenotes, my writing is droll and useless drivel containing minimal information. And then you read a review like that of Opium parfum by "MarksCarltonLane" (below).

We're all talented at something. But this person is truly gifted. I couldn't have said it better if I'd had 50 tutors and parfumeurs advising me.

Opium parfum deserves "MarksCarltonLane's" incomparable review.

WOW!

22 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2008)

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Silver Musk by Nasomatto

Can't make out any notes...other than musk ofcourse. Really subtle, really, REALLY nice scent. If MKK is what your skin is supposed to smell like after coitus, dirty, sweaty, sexy smelling skin; silver musk is on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. This is what your skin would smell like after you've bathed in precious bath oils and flower petals. The only other analogy that I could come up with is that silver musk is what I imagine elf skin (like LOTR, Liv Tyler kind of elves) must smell like.

Park Avenue by Bond No. 9

When I dabbed this on, I was expecting a classy mix of white flowers with perhaps a touch of fizzy champagne. Instead, “Park Ave.” smells just like “Body on Tap Shampoo”, that classic beer shampoo from the 1970’s. Lasts about an hour on the skin.

Mediterraneo by Carthusia

I am a huge citrus perfume fan but even I don't get the hype on Carthusia's Mediterraneo. It starts off smelling like Lemon Pledge. After 10 minutes or so, the sweetish chemical top notes disappear and one is left with a tolerable citrus floral scent without much sillage. Lastly, given the mediocrity of this particular scent, the high price is rather annoying.

For my money, I'd take ANY of the following over Carthusia's Mediterraneo any day: Annick Goutal's "Eau d'Hadrien", Bulgari's "Extreme", Frederic Malle's "Bigarade Concentree" or Chanel's "Eau de Cologne". These are all top-notch, interesting and well-crafted citrus perfumes.

Divine by Divine

I had high hopes for "Divine" after reading the positive 4-star review of it in "Perfumes: The Guide" which called it a buttery floral. I tried this on my skin on two separate occasions and detected no butter note at all (as opposed to Diorama which definitely has a lush creamy butter note). Instead, "Divine" is a heavy floral animalic that smells like a cheap, blowsy cousin of Givenchy's Ysatis. For my money, I would take Ysatis every time over this as it is elegant, well-blended and classy. Unfortunately, Divine is not any of those things.

Union Square / Andy Warhol Union Square by Bond No. 9

Union Square is a soapy inoffensive little green scent with a hint of musk that I had really hoped to like given all the adoring comments about it on the the various perfume blogs. Instead, if I had smelled this blind, I would have thought that “Union Square” was a new offering from the Clinique line. It would fit in nicely with Wrappings, Aromatics Elixir, etc... Union Sqaure is not bad per se, it is just disappointing coming from a perfume house that (a) has the means to hire talented perfumers and (b) charges extremely high prices. Union Square is definitely not worth the price.

Kaern's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Really different -- I don't know of any other fragrance that smells quite like this, which is quite bold of Prada really. I like the way the amber note is mixed into the florals and I don't find it that feminine at all. The women's version is more dark and masculine imo though --- it seems to focus on the leather and amber more. A nice surprise and the longevity is excellent.

Kaern