Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Abby MacPherson's avatar
    Abby MacPherson
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Crescendo by Lanvin

loved this way back in the mid-60's. wish I could find it again.
    abby

Jean-Maurice's avatar
    Jean-Maurice

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Simply GREAT one! One of the most masculine scent ever made, well done Lorenzo!

nurpnurp's avatar
    nurpnurp

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I remember paying for a parking ticket at a police station a couple of years ago (I was 21) while I had Roma on during the day. I was being helped out by a mid-30ish year old beautiful lady who could smell the cologne. She said "Mmm, you smell really good", and so jokingly I replied "Haha, is that a date?". To that, she replied "I would if I wasn't married".

Although this cologne is not great enough to nullify any parking tickets, it was great enough to have her almost cheat on her husband! So to all you married couples out there, beware of any singles who posses Roma Uomo.

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

1881 by Cerruti

A top note accord of citrus with green and aromatic notes yields to a floral-fruity heart undergirded by woody oriental notes. This is one I had nearly forgotten, but wanted to revisit after reading Luca Turin's review in "Perfumes: The Guide." I confess that I thought the top notes a bit harsh, but now I see that they lead to a beautiful masculine floriental with delicate resonances that are well worth wearing for their subtle radiance.

JDBIII's avatar
    JDBIII

Sandalo Per Teti by Laura Tonatto

On me, this scent is totally citrus. However, it is not necessarily a summer scent; too quirky. It is rich and very pleasant, and, perhaps because of the sandalwood, lasts much longer than most of my citruses. I could wear SPT anywhere but would probably choose something else for evening.

syidi_radzi's avatar
    syidi_radzi

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A classic frag I wuld say, the scent is long lasting, fresh floral, sweet ad masculine. The only problem with this is that it's everyone's favorite, making it kind of a typical scent smelled everyday once you entered the staffroom...

syidi_radzi's avatar
    syidi_radzi

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

Purchased a bottle of RL DB last year, really like the scent. It is highly seductive and long lasting. I would prefer if it is given other name than DB, yup, maybe the opening is quite similar, the mango scent (DB) and the iced manggo (B) but the middle notes and the drydown is absolutely different, to me, Black portrays modernity, confident (and playful as well) while DB more to seduction from within, a true gentlemen. Worth every cent, and what's best, it is bottled in 75 and 125 ml, while most frags sold either in 50ml or 100ml bottle.

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

Well, I'm in the middle on this one. A "medium" oriental/floral, opens with a fresh burst of fruitiness then drifts into a mild floral. Funny to read lillies in there, I cannot distinctly smell them. The heart notes are powdery sweet, then the base kicks in - which is what turns me off. It's kind of like Fresh's Sake. Something in it just sticks to the back of my throat. I'll give this one a neutral ~ but just barely.

Aiona's avatar
    Aiona

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I was feeling nostalgic for Cristalle EdT, and not knowing that the EdP is a completely different formulation, I purchased it, and was a little surprised at how it differed from my memory of it. It wasn't until I checked on Basenotes that I realized my mistake.

The EdP definitely smells more floral, to me. It lacks the metallic sharpness that I remember from the EdT. I thought it smelled fairly nice on my skin, unlike the EdT, which somehow turns sour. My husband, however, found it completely vomitous, and told me so with great force.

Today, I also encountered a lady at work who was wearing it, and something about it made me feel like retching. Perhaps it was the lady, herself. But, in any case, with two episodes of nausea, neither of which can be attributed to pregnancy, I've decided the Cristalle EdP is just not for me.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar
    BlackAmberMoon

Un Air d'Habanita by Molinard

Once the citrusy (grapefruit?) topnotes calm down, it morphs into a musky skin scent. It's ok, just not very exciting. Haven't smelled the original, so can't compare the two.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Royal Aoud by Montale

I’m new to the world of oud so I’m exploring my reactions to this new sensation. This is intriguing. It has a haunting, elusive quality that appeals to me. It is piercingly ‘clean’ but not synthetic or ‘fresh’ in the current style. It is bright and yet dark at the same time. Bug spray... band-aids... rubber... medicinal... I sort of agree and yet I find this appealing. It is not an industrial nouveau, edgy sort of scent. It is in the old Arabian tradition of rare perfume, a world of scents perhaps unfamiliar to modern sensibilities. Many have said that this is not a big powerhouse scent, and I agree. Applied lightly, this has restraint, artistry, a quiet sort of power. I find it to be coolish rather than warm. It is not woody (except for a sharp sandalwood sort of tone), not very spicy, not very leathery. I agree with Vibert’s profile, particularly the powdery-sweet and vanilla aspect. And the fact that I like this amazes me, normally I detest such elements! At times there is the hint of something like chocolate liqueur or creme brulée. Certainly there are ambery notes. I can only account for my approval in the sheer artistry and subtle panache of this. The drydown is a very subtle, second-skin scent.

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

to me surely the best Aqua Allegoria
    a refreshing garden in spring while herbs are growing
    the mint, the fresh cut grass the aromatic herbs
    all are there while walking around, crushing some leaves in your hands
    barefoot in the grass
    wonderful and one the most evocative fragrances i have ever smelled

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain

leaves of fresh mint crushed in the hand in the early morning while sun is rising and flowers around are opening their petals
    a fragrance fair to this view and which name corresponds excatly with the impressions created
    so fresh so minty (far more minty than Herba fresca)
    dedicated to hot sunny summer days

Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella by Guerlain

a great unisex summer fragrance
    fresh and light, slightly spicy and bitter and not sweet at all
    at first i was afraid to smell like "Pastis" (a french anised aperitive alcohol),
    but Guerlain made a very nice job and it appears that Anisia Bella is rather closer to the anise seed than to a liquor or a syrup
    i also get a note that reminds me salt or the seashore
    it's surely a particular fragrance and you must like anise to wear it
    discontinued from the Aqua Allegoria line but easily found discounted on the internet

mrblowtorch's avatar
    mrblowtorch

Herbert West by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Well, I've finally taken the plunge. I've been staring at this Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab website for the past year, and decided to pull the trigger. Being a good New Englander and a lifetime fan of H.P. Lovecraft, I decided to start with some samples (Imp's Ears - grin) from their "A Picnic In Arkham" series.
    Black Phoenix says that Herbert West smells of 'Aftershave, embalming fluid, and splatterings from a panoply of reanimation reagents.' A pretty turn of phrase to be sure, but do I really want to be wearing this stuff? :) Well, I'm happy to report that it smells pretty good. The initial application is similar to a lime-infused version of... Mugler's Cologne???!! Hmmm, not bad. I will confess that in the middle notes, there is something a little strange. Not bad, but strange. A bit sharp, makes you want to smell more just to figure out what it is. Maybe this is the embalming fluid note? But for me, the coolest part is the drydown. It stays very close to the skin and is reminiscent of skin after a swim in salty ocean water on a hot summer day. Thumbs up for being a slightly crazed, but good-smelling and fairly mild-mannered scent that wouldn't be out of place in an office setting. Hmmm... Kind of like Jeffrey Combs playing the mad Doctor Herbert West in the "Reanimator" movie. My only critique: the juice should be phosphorescent green instead of a pale yellow color.

heythatslife's avatar
    heythatslife
    South Korea South Korea

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

One of my holy grails, and this is the fragrance that led me into the world of niche perfumery. For me, this is where it all started.

The initial blast feels like a gust of dusty desert wind just blew into the room, true to the name. Words escape me, but the opening is uplifting and simply divine. There's resinous amber, supported by a hint of that tar note which Tauer seems to be fond of, and vanilla. Yet, despite the dosage of vanilla, LDDM somehow retains its wonderful driness throughout - I don't understand how it's done, it's almost like an oxymoron. Rock rose keeps things lively in the middle notes, also.

Sillage is decent, but not overpowering. It lasts and lasts, easily endures 10-12 hours. In both respects, it's just what I want from a fragrance. Perfect.

danceman@westnet.com.au's avatar
    danceman@westnet.com.au

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

A truly great fragrance, like most from Hugo !!

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A*Men - its a classic. nothin else out there smells quite like it and could make you feel exclusive, rich, suave and most importantly, makes you feel good!

caramel? chocolate? vannilla? Tonka....if it brings you pictures of Rochas Man, then you are sadly mistaken. till date never been able to enjoy a scent the way i could Angel Men. its like reading a book, the notes keeps unfolding, morphing into each other with such precise manner that you will stop and you will sniff your wrist closely time to time to admire this beauty. its quite potent and last forever. Thumbs way up for this one. a Keeper.

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

wore it for my engagement and wedding. its a scent for special occasions. Thats how commanding Baldessarini is. you cant dare to put this one on when you are in a jeans n t-shirt. it commands respect and you shall give thie scent respect. incredibly classy, sweet, powdery (lil bit), oriental blend with a twist of tobbaco which would make anyone feel luxurius and stand apart. striclty for suits and formal wear.

the only other "gentleman" scent that i have come across is Chanle Pour Monsieur, but baldessarini is ia different beast altogether. if possible, the concentree version.

Jaguar Performance by Jaguar

synthetic vetiver blunted by a heavy dose of lemon, green notes and SOAP! yes, lotta soap! bring on the SOAP!! Whoa!! everythin is boring until the basenotes..which is done so beautifully. i think its the musk which did it for me in the end. swapped though...i tend to apply my A Dominiguez's more during summer. a nice inexpensive frag for daily wear...its smells like a deo all the way till mid notes.. buy it just for its dry down...

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Ink for fountain pens, that how it smells, atleast for me, it smells exactly like Camel ink (a brand in india). its lovely! enjoyed it, the midnotes to was nice and unique. this again is what a teenager should wear to a party or some...not for my age..or atleast i cannot carry it (im 29 btw). what TICKED me off were the basenotes...DIESEL Zero Plus!! Arrghhhh I hate it!!! swapped it just coz of that. i just cannot bear that smell.

gavre it a neutral just coz of the disel kind drydown...cant stand it.

Nefertari's avatar
    Nefertari
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Ralph Wild by Ralph Lauren

Good but not impressing. Smells only fresh strawberries, delicious but too simple.

Odalisque by Parfums de Nicolaï

A very interesting fresh chypre - lots of jasmine and iris in the heart notes, with just a touch of oakmoss for astringency. It dries down to a floral musk. For some reason, this smells both old and surprisingly new to me. It smells a little old fashioned because of the beautiful florals - but the freshness of the oakmoss keeps it from becoming too cloying. Very sophisticated, very complex, and a wonderful fragrance.

Héritage by Guerlain

When I first wore Heritage, my wife (who is not a perfumista) asked me if I was wearing Shalimar. And there are many family similarities between the two - primarily the deep ambery vanilla anchoring the fragrances. Heritage fills out its structure with warm spices and resinous woods. I also notice a resemblance to Caron's Third Man in the deep woody ambery feel - but Heritage is a bit more subtle and a little deeper.

Jicky by Guerlain

There have been a lot of very good reviews of Jicky here. I just want to add two things. First, the different strengths of Jicky vary widely in their feel and are very nice layered together. The extrait is dense, citrusy, and has more prominent civet. It also develops beautifully on the skin. The PDT is a bit harsh for my taste, but dries down very nicely. The EDT has an abundance of lavender that makes it vaguely sweeter, but I'm not impressed by the staying power. I haven't sampled the EDC in a while, but my recollection was that it resembled the EDT. If you are considering purchasing Jicky, I would urge you to smell the different formulations and pick the one that suits you. (Personally, I love the extrait)

Second, this scent smells wonderful on both men and women - it has a slightly "naughty" feel too it (probably the civet) but is perfectly suited to almost any occasion. You can't go wrong with Jicky, it is one of the few scents I would wear day or night, formal or casual, intimate or buttoned down - basically any time at all.

Annikin06's avatar
    Annikin06

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

I love this scent. After the initial coffee scent it turns into something that I think is a little better than the original A*Men.

23 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st May, 2008)

thatsmr2usir's avatar
    thatsmr2usir

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This is a heavenly smell! It reminds me of a chocolate chip cookie! Mouth watering & inviting! 1 of the best scents out there. I do get alot of vanilla & chocolate while I do smell the starfruit which balances this unique scent out. I dont know why this is posted under women's fragrance bcause it is clearly unisex! This IMO beats Angel A Men HANDS DOWN! If you dont care for the burnt smell of A Men.. Then try this,U wont be dissapointed!

ayesha's avatar
    ayesha

Obsession by Calvin Klein

I once read an article that said a woman should pursue a scent that seduces her, rather than a scent that seduces her prospective suitors. This way, we fall in love with a scent that truly is evocative of ourselves because on some level it tells our story. This is Obsession for me. Created in the year of my birth, this scent is at first glance a lady, upon second glance a siren, and after an extended meeting... an ingenue. It's only downfall is its popularity. However, now that it is over 20 years old, it stands out in the sea of florientals as a provocative classic. I even love to spray a little on after I shower in the evening because I love cuddling up to the scent. I love perfume and I've worn all sorts of classics around my significant other but the first time I wore this around him he noticed immediately. Not my signature scent... unfortunately, but definitely a go to for special evenings and those random days when I need a pick me up.

pomeraniansiamese's avatar
    pomeraniansiamese
    Germany Germany

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

This was fantastic in the magazine sample and on my mother. It is defiantly for a strong, carefree chemistry. I imagine on some ladies it smells of old cologne! it seems a bit mannish on me, though it turned into a womanly scent
    on my mom. It is very nice, the notes all work together for a very sophisticated effect. Recommended for day wear, lovers of woodsy musk and orange.

lizzie_j's avatar
    lizzie_j

Vaniglia del Madagascar by I Profumi di Firenze

A very sweet and straight up vanilla. None of the complexity of, for instance, Nicolai's Vanilla Tonka or L'Artisan Vanilia, but if you are a vanilla freak, this is great. Lasting power is only so so (about 2 hours on me, then I smell very little but a memory of vanilla and a little spice), but is wonderful when I layer with patchouli fragrances like Jalaine Patchouli. I am a total vanilla nut, so this is in my wardrobe.