Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

pomeraniansiamese's avatar

Germany Germany

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

This was fantastic in the magazine sample and on my mother. It is defiantly for a strong, carefree chemistry. I imagine on some ladies it smells of old cologne! it seems a bit mannish on me, though it turned into a womanly scent
    on my mom. It is very nice, the notes all work together for a very sophisticated effect. Recommended for day wear, lovers of woodsy musk and orange.

lizzie_j's avatar

Vaniglia del Madagascar by I Profumi di Firenze

A very sweet and straight up vanilla. None of the complexity of, for instance, Nicolai's Vanilla Tonka or L'Artisan Vanilia, but if you are a vanilla freak, this is great. Lasting power is only so so (about 2 hours on me, then I smell very little but a memory of vanilla and a little spice), but is wonderful when I layer with patchouli fragrances like Jalaine Patchouli. I am a total vanilla nut, so this is in my wardrobe.

Jemimagold's avatar

So New York by Bond No. 9

So New York” is a sweetish citrus fragrance that is stolid and boring. It has touches of amber and musk that are not well blended and seem to be mashed together with the bergamot notes in a clumsy way. In the spirit of broader testing, I gave my sample of “So New York” to a male colleague to try (he loves "Chez Bond", by the way) and he did not like it at all. In fact, he politely went to scrub it off his wrist shortly afterwards.

There are much, much better well-crafted citrus fragrances out there than “So New York”, notably: Annick Goutal's "Eau d'Hadrien", Bulgari's "Extreme", Frederic Malle's "Bigarade Concentree" or Chanel's "Eau de Cologne".

Jemimagold's avatar

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

Kenzo Amour is a pleasant, if slightly boring, vanilla/almond/powder/floral scent with an overlay of white musk. I think it would appeal most to a girl aged 12-15 who just wants to blend in with the crowd and smell "sweet and clean". I much prefer Kenzo’s “L’Eau” and “Parfum d’Ete” to this.

bamacharm's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

This is my numero uno. This is not a clubbing scent nor will it be a top choice of the college & younger crowd. This is, however, sophistication and class in a bottle. Boucheron does not knock anyone over but lures them closer, especially the ladies. The light floral tones are extremely well done. One reviewer called it "old fashioned". I can't see it. To me, it is more in line with the fresh scents of today.

bamacharm's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Absolutely gorgeous scent. I love it. It is in my top three for sure. Very classy.

krmarich's avatar

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

This review is buy a man for the most modern and timeless ladies classic. In my youth, I remember my mother wearing it. I loved it then, 1977. Fashions change and as a special treat, I picked up a new bottle for her 80th birthday. I was afraid of the reformulation. How could one improve perfection? The only difference I could tell was the opening note with this "green note". It reminds me of ladie's hairspray. I didnt like it at first. Opening notes are generally wierd. Then came the wonderfully familiar and soothing middle notes, that remained intact.
    Gardenia, honeysuckle, rose and jasmine do not fail in strength and potency, Simple and feminine. Truely modern and not just for "old ladies". That is the timeless appeal this conveys. Very chic and stylish, and this is one of the best bottles I ever encountered. It looks like class and success! Go ahead and try this treasure! You wont be sorry!

krmarich's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

YSL at its best! This is a "manly" mans scent. Not for the fient hearted. I purchased my first bottle in 1986. Ever since that day, it is my signature. On that note, lets deal with the negative reviews. "Fecal notes" and "urinal cake" seem to show up often. These reviewers need to have their noses checked. Either they are smelling it from the bottle, have the wrong body chemistry, or have simply not tried it. It is different, which is what makes it so popular worldwide.
    Kouros-pronounced "Coo-ros", not "caress", is one of the most misunderstrood of men's scents. It is strong and unforgettable, with and opening notes that scares most users, including myself, if I am not in the mood. Bay laurel, artemesia, and bergamot mix effectively, and open like an opera, with clashing cymbals and loud choruses. After 20 minutes, the real production begins with cinnamon, carnation, geranium, and jasmine that gives off sillage that lasts all day! Usually carnation is bitter, but not here. The jasmine gives it the mystery. The wearer becomes like a "censer" bearing exotic incense. All of this, while maintaining, a clean, youthful appeal.
    Then the best effect of this masterpiece comes the drydown, which lasts over 24 hours! Vetiver/amber, patcholi/musk, leather/honey and the final note of ambargris leaves one remembering the night before, lost loves, and other beautiful memories of a lifetime of use.
    Overall, this scent conveys passion and strengths that are hard to duplicate. Virility and male sexuality, not in "gay" sense. My situation with that is how can something so masculine attract "gays"? Wearing it, I always get ladies come up to me smiling and asking for the time. It is a classic love potion in this sense. For bei ng so popular, I can honestly say, I have never smelled it on another man, That is good! Its not for everyone, just me, I will add selfishly!

PashaRuski's avatar

Ukraine Ukraine

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

Just got a 2.5 oz bottle today and I guess she brought it back. I'm still skeptical as to whether it's fake or not but it smells pretty good. I'd advise you to get a bottle, pretty good scent.

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

I like it. it has a citrusy and woody scent with musk.
    The notes are:
    - top notes
    Mandarin, Mango, Kumquat
    - Heart note
    Freesia, Orris, Passiflore
    - base note
    Sandal, Cedarwood
    It is different than the other perfume.it is fresh not deep and not sweet.
    It is a Floral - Fruity type of perfume.
    The scent lasts long as you can smell the base notes after 6 hours.
    I liked the mandarin note at the top.

Baby Rose Jeans by Versace

Flowery, citrusy, and soft scent.
    It is a Floral - Rose Violet type of perfume.

The notes are:
    • top notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Peach, Green note
    • Heart note: Carnation, Ylang-Ylang, Orchid, Orris
    • base note: Sandal, Cedar, Vanilla,

It is very nice, tender and feminine and does not need to be altered.
    Don’t let the name of the perfume (BABY) convince into believing that it is for children.
    The name (BABY) is irrelevant to the perfume’s suitability for adults.

23 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2008)

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This is an Oriental - Woody type of perfume
    Most of it smells like of agarwood. So if you like agarwood, you should definitely check this one out.
    It smells like a modern Middle Eastern perfume, as the people their often wear agarwood.

23 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2008)

Bright Crystal by Versace

Soft and tender I would say. It is nice, but an amazing.
    This is a Floral - Fruity type of perfume.
    The scent is not as beautiful as its bottle.
    The design of this bottle is what tricked me into buying it, but I do enjoy the scent sometimes.

Miracle Forever by Lancôme

Very sweet scent. It is an Oriental - Vanilla type of scent
    In case your wandering what the notes are, here you go:
    - top notes
    Star Anise, Black Currant Bud, Peony
    - Heart note
    Lily-of-the-Valley, Heliotrope, Almond, Mimosa Absolute
    - base note
    Vanilla, Virginia Cedar, Patchouli, Amber, Frankincense
    It is suitable for you if you like the scent of sweet and Lily of the Valley, like in ‘wish’ perfume.
    For me I would say its neither good nor bad

Christina Aguilera by Christina Aguilera

It is vanilla oriented scent and it very soft too.
    highly recommended for people who like soft perfumes.
    The Blackcurrant must have made it different than all the other sweet perfumes.
    My husband recommended me to get this one and throughout the days I was really amazed how they made such a lovely scent.
    This perfume should have been named innocence as the girl who wears it is as pure and innocent as a baby.
    It is Floral - Fruity type of perfume.

Coleen by Coleen McLoughlin

It’s just too strong. Not really a feminine scent.
    I only bought it because it was cheap.
    My husband likes it, though.
    Anyway it is suitable for night wear
    This is not my type of perfume so thumbs down

Gardenia by Demeter Fragrance Library

This starts with a very buttery note - so buttery it surprised me. Later that disappears, replaced by a beautiful warm floral drydown which seems to stay the same until (in common with most Demeter scents) it fades, rather too quickly for me.

Most scents with Gardenia in the name blast the back of my throat, but this does not. I like it a lot - that I have to also spray it a lot more often is no great hardship, as the bottle is handbag-sized anyway!

Tolu by Ormonde Jayne

This reminds me strongly of Dune. It's nicer and far more complex than Dune, but still, the resemblance is unmistakable to me.
    It's another good Ormonde scent, but I'm giving it a neutral rating because I dislike Dune so much! See, I used to work next to a woman who drenched herself in the stuff. She would even spritz at her desk when I was eating my lunch right next to her. Dune-flavoured sandwiches... mmmm... ;-)
    Sadly, that memory lingers, so Tolu is wasted on me... but if you like a warm, long-lasting, complex amber, this may suit you.

Update December 09: I've had more time with Tolu now, and I have more of it than just one tiny vial. It helps to be able to spray more, it turns out!
    I really like this now.

23 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2009)

Lavender Moss by Aftelier

Lavender Moss was one of the Aftelier solid fragrances. It is the only one of the Aftelier solid perfumes I have tried which has much sillage and lasting power. (My favourite, Boronia, disappears on me almost immediately... *sad*).

LM has an unmistakable 'BO-ness' to it. It is deep and dark and naughty. I've heard perfumes with this effect described as having ''skank' - well, this one definitely has it! But it's a sexy skank. A person smelling this on your skin could never be sure whether they were smelling perfume, or you. Some people love that, me included. But it's not for the faint-hearted!

Erolfa by Creed

This scent has a clean aquatic smell to it like a seaside breeze. It's not my favorite creed scent, but certainly very nice.

Style In Play by Lacoste

Opens with a nice citrus blast with a hint of spice. The dry down is woody and a little sweet. Overall it's really nice and perfect for Spring.

Reflection Man by Amouage

A clean icy burst out of the bottle which I like better than the other fragrances from this house. It has a younger feel to it than the others. This might be the only one I'll wear from this house.

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

A sweet woody scent which stays pretty much the same from start to finish. I prefer the younger Reflection scent than this one. This smells a bit like a cigar box.

viviana's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

It is simple, with Shalimar...if you are woman enough to wear it, you will know. If you are a beautiful woman, do not wear Shalimar unless you want men dropping at your feet. It is that simple!

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I have come to live for the drydown of Eau Sauvage, and getting older is worth it just to be able to finally wear a masterpiece such as this one.

I was born the year this was released, and my early and mid 70s memories as a kid were of this being the fragrance to graduate to for my older brothers, whose lady companions would give it as a gift and swoon about it when they'd wear it. I do remember it (the drydown) as peppery, tarry yet fresh, still with a bit of lemon, very memorable. As a kid, that became the scent of being a sexy guy, at least for my family's body chemistry.

Unfortunately, there IS the fabled slight fecal quality that you really have to give in to to finally "get" eau sauvage. Once past that, it has a tremendous, clean earthiness. the vetiver here is a resinous vetiver that still maintains a freshness from the herbs and, remarkably, the lemon somehow. And it never, never gets powdery. Mostly, though, it is that peppery resin. I love it, love it. Classy but earthy, clean but a little dirty, astringent but resinous, dark but sparkling at the same time. Sex. Not for under 25, unless you're settled and down to earth. Dress up with it, or wear it dressed down, it will meld with you. That is to me what a great fragrance should do, transform your own natural skin character.

This is truly classic, and I'm happy that it finally works truly successfully on my skin. I feel really good and grounded when I wear this. No going back now.

M by Banana Republic

Take away any drydown, and you have a very successful, juicy fresh citrus, which never comes off as lemon pledge, and never has an "aquatic accord" quality. It is, however, "wet". The first time I smelled this on somebody, at grad school, they came in on a rainy day, and this wonderful lemon and tangerine splash refreshingly projected from them. very attractive. I indirectly, through a girl, found out what it was and immediately went out and got a small bottle. I really enjoyed that bottle. It's an easy fresh fragrance that doesn't require a commitment, can be used liberally. Not great longevity, but not terrible for a fragrance with so little base. Good projection for a citrus, while the top and midnotes last. Perfect for casual settings where more complex or longlasting drydowns aren't wanted.

Never rebought, because I got older and felt I could get that freshness from Burberry Weekend, plus a more mature grounding. Still, now writing this, I may go pick up another small bottle again, just for those rainy, wet days, for which it is the olfactory equivalent of wearing a crisp lemon yellow rainjacket.

Relax by Davidoff

This was chosen for me as a gift by my then companion during my year abroad in 1990-91. He had Cool Water, which was, at the time, wonderful (first I'd encountered it), because it hadn't "arrived" in the States yet, and, not yet being ubiquitous, was tremendously sexy for a guy in his 20s. So he chose Relax for me.

Now, to Relax. Yuck. The drydown is too powdery for me. It has a complexity that doesn't feel well integrated, but overdone. The powderiness has a cloying quality that makes it almost unbearable in warm weather. The patchouli/amber feels too rich and aromatic and sweet.

The astringent ingredients don't seem to keep this one clean. The sweeter and spicier notes dominate in the blend, and could really use that offset to keep it clean. That lack of cleanliness makes me only yearn for the craft of the much-maligned Cool Water even more (but one can't wear the same as one's companion). alas, I had to wait until the year was up to ditch this one.

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

I finally finished my bottle, and it was well timed for me to graduate to something more mature. While I had it, though, I enjoyed it and received compliments. Good, safe office scent for the under 35 set.

Manages to be fresh without being overly aquatic, not an easy feat for late 90s scents. Its green notes are soft, not sour or sharp. Its florals are fresh and dewy, not powdery. Its mintiness and conifer notes are, again, not sharp, but are clean. Meant to evoke an alpine meadow, and, to me, it feels like that.

Great longevity for a fresh scent. However, could only be considered sexy in that safe, neutered 90s kind of way, which I've moved beyond. This makes it inessential and gets a neutral rating at this point because of it. If you're young and want fresh, clean, soft and natural (not synthetic), it is recommended.

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Agreeing with a few previous reviews, this is certainly a fragrance that is skin-specific (IMO the best are).

On me, it does open with a sharp lemoniness, albeit a very pleasant one. (I can't imagine how this would open as smooth and warm on anyone...the drydown perhaps--the opening, no way). It has a near girliness that actually comes off well on many masculine guys (think balance...offsetting the manliness). It reminds me very very much of the early 70s lemoniness of Love's Fresh Lemon that groovy girls at the time would wear, including my older sister. Very straightforward fresh squeezed citrus. Its other sharpness is not dissimilar to a bugspray kind of sharpness, but, again, I enjoy this edgy freshness. In this sense, it has a unisex quality that's fun and sexy for a macho guy to wear casually.

Then the honeyed notes come through, balancing and warming, and remain to pin down the rest of the drydown. The ivy notes maintain a nice green edge through the drydown. The citrus impressively maintains its presence. The drydown is summer southern nocturnal floral--warm, sparkling and lemony.

It is one of the scents where the notes listed are clearly articulated and detected. In that sense, it is not highly integrated or refined. But it is exactly this casual quality that makes it a "weekend" fragrance, no?

Somewhat unisex, it is sexy on dark-featured guy who can use the freshening balance. It is an underrated casual citrus, and one of my favorites.

Very Cool for Men by Tommy Bahama

I'll cut to the chase. It's an aquatic, post-AquadiGio fragrance--very fresh perhaps, very run of the mill as well. Nothing more. I'll take my mint in dryer, cleaner, less cheap, young and tangy forms. (see Ralph Lauren Safari for an interesting eucalyptus-y manly barbershop mintiness--yeah!)

On paper, the scent had a little bit of a dirty edge underneath that I thought would elevate this fragrance above the aquatic fray. On my skin, though, (the counter woman insisted I try something "new"), those edgier elements are nonexistent. I could easily be wearing lacoste (in)essential, or any of the other tangy aquatics out there.

Sorry, not for me. Could be generically used in place of a number of fresh aquatics by the 25 and under crowd, though. And for that, it gets a neutral. Not offensive, just absolutely no use to me.