Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

pookerella's avatar

New York Fling by Bond No. 9

What a gorgeous fragrance! Could Spring be bottled? I think so! New York Fling captures it about as well as anything could. Fresh, soft, warm ... deeply romantic. If you don't care for most of Bond No 9 fragrances, I urge you to try this one. It's definitely one of the best. Totally unique, my new daytime fragrance, it has no trouble carrying you right through to the evening and wee hours. But then again, she's a New Yorker, so we shouldn't be at all surprised ... it's in her blood.

My very finicky, "all natural" aldehyde-hating cousin, who made a "yuch" face at just about every fragrance I've ever introduced her to, absolutely LOVED this. I think the quality of the brew was something her nose just honed right in on, without actually having any knowledge whatsoever how truly pure Bond No 9 perfumes are. You can really tell when they use only pure ingredients, which is all she will ever wear.

scentsitivity's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

While there are similarities between Unforgivable and Creed’s Millésime Impérial (MI), I think it is oversimplistic to say that the scents are identical. The opening of Unforgivable is very different from MIs. Herbal notes overlay the aquatic character in such a way that they blunt it. I find the opening to be disappointing compared to MI. (I think Kenneth Cole’s Reaction is much more similar to MI in its opening, but develops differently). After about 30 minutes, Unforgivable’s fruity-aquatic character begin to dominate, and yes here we see a strong similarity to MI. However, it is not as potent as MI, nor as long lasting. There are some pleasant and interesting ‘purer’ (i.e., not fruity) aquatic notes later on that I find enjoyable and different than MIs. Overall, I think Unforgivable is less interesting than MI and should not be viewed as a substitute. I think it has merits of its own and certainly I cannot fault anyone for choosing it. I don’t have enthusiasm to buy it for myself.

scentsitivity's avatar

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

For ladies’ fragrance, I tend to enjoy the smell of grapefruit prominent scents. This one is no exception. Effervescent grapefruit mingles with floral notes. Lively and pretty. I don’t care if the grapefruit is synthetic – it smells good and it lasts a fair while. Decent projection. I think it is just great for a lady who wants to feel bright and feminine.

virgo75's avatar

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

Chypre? "Spicy?" This really must be a fragrance highly dependant on chemistry.

On me, the opening of Sicily reminds me of a slightly sweeter Caress Soap. On a GOOD day it dries down sweet and warm like sweet coconut scented skin by the beach. On a bad one, it end ups smelling like banana musk.

I had to give it a thumbs up even though there are times when just the thought of the heavy, thick sweetness gets to me. But when I DO wear it, I always wonder why I don't do so more often. Plus it has great sillage and lasts all day on me where my skin usually eats up fragrances.

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Strange that Trebor should say that it has sillage but no longevity, because it does the exactly the opposite thing on me. A classic eau de cologne executed in a textbook manner, but more floral and lively than some of the more austere ones. It feels great especially after a bath.

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

So no middle notes in the official description, huh. Well, that's what I'd been suspecting all along. The pine takes over exactly when the lemon and lavender begins to fade.

BB is all about citrus, pine, pine and more pine. Gorgeous stuff, if a little reminiscent of Pine Sol. The scent reminds of those British colonels I met, who were my friends' parents. It has a sort of military precision to it, no frills, no fussing about. I don't know if I'd wear it, though, unless I want to come off as a disciplinarian.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Please put this thing out of its misery. Yes, it was unique, yes, it's a milestone in modern perfumery, but it's past its time (particularly when about 1500 other fragrances that smell like it have now been produced. Who knows, if Cool Water hadn't been around, none of these crappy copies would ever have been made). Plus, it gives me an headache like nothing else does.

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I agree with what others have said below - it's very un-Lutens. At the same time, it's one of the more underrated gems from the house. An exercise in subtlety to prove that Sheldrake can do one, perhaps. It's kind of hard to put this one into a category, actually - for an oriental it has too little spice and amber, for a gourmand it's not that sweet, for a wood it feels too light. I get some floral in the drydown as well. The scent has okay sillage and decent longevity, but it comes and goes - you think it's gone, and then it returns to surprise you. Ethereal stuff.

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Nothing extreme about this one.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but this is to me just a straight-up amber, and not much else going on. It's not bad, per se - it's actually quite pleasant, but that's only because amber is good anyway as long as you use decent material. There are better amber scents out there in the same price range that are more complex and interesting, namely Ambre Precieux and Ambre Sultan.

lovelylavender's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Bali Dream by Estée Lauder

I really love Bali and when Estee Lauder put Bali's name as the title of their new perfume, what a dream come true! I though I have to do all the trouble getting it in the nearest airport (Changi perhaps). But lucky me, someone able to get it for me.

Bali Dream is opened with the mix of Orchid and Ginger (Which remind me of CK Euphoria Blossom.. love it). The mix is right and it will be easily loved. I can imagine a lot of people would give it as a gift (from Bali?). It doesn't smell like Bali too me but it's a crowd pleaser. Going to the heart I smell.... coconut. Wait. There's no coconut in the middle note? It said Pepper, Ylang Ylang, Cassia, Jasmine, Gardenia, Tagete, Plum, Tuberose. But how come I only smell Coconut plus something. As it going to the basenote, the coconut stay strong while the others already said goodbye...

I agree with the previous reviewer that this perfume is too tropical to be categorized as floriental. It's nice. It's pleasureable... but it just don't smell Bali to me. Estee Lauder could just write Coconut Island or Coco Dream or something instead of Bali Dream.

But I still give applause to Estee Lauder. I appreciate them in the same way the appreciate Bali. May more people come to Bali. ^-^ Now I'm waiting for 7:15 am in Bali from Kenzo.

jessicaworden's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Such a relief to find a spicy scent that isn't doused in sweetness! So lovely and dry, although I had a very strong "cumin" experience initially. It faded into leather and stayed a good several hours on my skin. This one is very high on my list, below Durbano's Tourmaline Noir.

SirSlarty's avatar

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

I don't know what's going on with this. It's got everything but there's nothing. Spicy, sweet, synthetic, watery,... it dances in a messy confusion of notes.

amalyne's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Curious by Britney Spears

I like the smell very much!! Drawback is the un-long lasting :(

bilaldh's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Lomani by Lomani

Very nice perfume as compard to its 3 dollar price tag ... starts with an excellent lemon-lavender combination ..spices are noticble from the beginning .. the dry down is ,however, just okay .. too woody for my taste, still pleasent ...

24 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2008)

wjlamp's avatar

Greece Greece

Devin by Aramis

A long time ago, Devin, became the first "gun" , in my perfume armory.

Suddenly it was gone,nowhere to be found...Sad years,fragrantwise.

Thanks to internet shopping, it is available to me, again .

Pure heaven.

I will not describe my opinion , elaborating on the notes and its character.

The only thing that I have to say is that, the user of this cologne, must use it, only after

a lengthy douche session .

Being "hospital" clean, is the only way to experience and ENJOY,the true nature of the beast

fragrantjasmine's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Cuir de Russie smelled great on the tester strip and I was almost out of unsprayed skin from a morning of testing fragrances. I put it on the top on my shoulder and have been sniffing it every 30 minutes since then. I reminds me of high quality leather, like the interior of a Mercedes Benz or Jaguar, with smoke, light flowers and a hint of raw tobacco. I need to test this again; next time on my wrist.

fragrantjasmine's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

What a stunning scent! It is complex and reveals its warmer notes as it dries down on my skin.

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

The EDP is different than the EDT and I’m referring to the EDT
    Rosy, unique and mature scent
    It is an Oriental - Floral type of perfume
    Not having this perfume almost makes me cry, hopefully I will get it soon
    This perfume got my attention when I saw that it is one of the best selling in more that on shop for more than once
    So I tried it to check it out and that is when I knew I had to buy it.
    They made an Intelligent combination of notes (Mandarin, Orange Blossom, Ylang-Ylang, Ginger, Vanilla)
    Love it

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Sweet, sugary and fresh scent.
    It is an Oriental - Vanilla type of perfume.
    This recommended for people who enjoy the scent of sweet and lily of the valley.
    If you liked it try out ‘Angel’ by Thierry Mugler, ‘Wish’ by Chopard, and ‘ange ou demon’ by Givenchy.
    For me it is a magical scent
    It is suitable for night wear and special occasions. It will make you feel like the star of the night. If you wear you will be stealing every one’s thunder.
    This has a love spell on me.
    It is my second favorite perfume after ‘ange ou demon’.

The Spirit of Moonflower by Body Shop

Light, fresh and fruity scent.
    Personally I think it has a scent of cucumber.
    It is similar to ‘Be Delicious’ by DKNY is terms of its fresh, fruity and cucumber scent.
    I got one for me and one for my mom.
    I know a lot of girls who like it.
    Too bad its not available in the market anymore.

Touch of Pink by Lacoste

Fresh and fruity scent at the beginning, then the rosy part (jasmine and violet) starts to blend with it.
    It is a Floral - Fruity type of perfume.
    Very likeable perfume
    I like it and so does my husband.
    It is unique to some extent.

lordnemekris's avatar

Mauritius Mauritius

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

According to a very popular person, this smells like sex on me... 6 bottles later I had to move on... countless compliments, Thank you Aedes Des Venustas...

I feel you might have to have a more oriental body chemistry for this to work on...since its spicy... I layer it with a bit of Bois Iris... thank to Aedes again.

preferredcustomer's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Flair by Revlon

Basenotes says, "currently 'on-hold' by Revlon. Will it see the light of day?"

When was this written?

I was given a sample of this at a HBA store, let it sit around for about a month and finally opened it. I was pretty amazed. It's really lovely. Really.

Needless to say, I expected nothing from Revlon and a product that is sold in places like Wal-Mart, Walgreen's and probably any retailed that begin with the word "Wal."

Does anyone have further information on the derivation, history, marketing of this frag?

Am I the only one who thinks that it smells much more expensive than it is? Am I the only one who has ordered it?

Too strange.

hednic's avatar

Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud by Montale

A wonderful strong, pure oud scent. Great longevity!

24 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 March, 2014)

BlueDevilSF's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda by Comme des Garçons

Absolutely vile. It smells like household cleaner. Thankfully it didn't last on my skin.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

I'm not all that familiar with Kenzo fragrances. Kenzo Amour is a powdery sweet vanilla. At first, it comes off as an ultra feminine take on Bulgari Black. The vanilla powder has a certain "smokiness". I quite like it! It's not like anything else in my collection. Also resembling Montale's Sweet Oriental Dream - this Kenzo is extremely wearable and much preferred to the Montale. The balance is incredible, I don't get overwhelmed with any of the notes. If I could choose one word to describe this scent it would be 'harmony'.

Quadrille by Balenciaga

Dispite all the listed notes, Quadrille smells to me like plum wine with an herbal infusion. This is an enticing aroma, but not one that I wear easily. The notes are highly integrated and well-chosen. No herbs are listed, so I assume it is violet or leather (which other reviewers have mentioned) that exudes the bitterness which I describe as herbal. The overall effect is sheer but powerful. It is sure to please the discerning tastes of people looking for an unusual and unique fragrance.

Alpona by Caron

I got a sample from an older bottle. This Alpona is amazing. It predates O de Lancome by three decades, and now I see how the later fragrance owes a debt of gratitude to its predecessor. Both are remarkable members of an old-school Chypre genre featuring citrus and herbs.
    Both start with a tangy citrus, closely accompanied by a sweet heart note, before dropping gradually into a drier herbal finish. In Alpona, the landing is cusioned by the signature Caron powdery soft base, while O de Lancome has a clear base. Thyme is the featured herb in Alpona, while rosemary is predominant in O de Lancome.
    My favorite aspect of Alpona is the candied-lemon-and-grapefruit-peel scent coupled with the powdery background, which creates an aroma like sifted flour during the making of holiday cake. The herbal ending is too dry for my liking. If it had a long-lasting sweet base, it would approach Holy Grail territory.

J'Adore by Christian Dior

It would take an army to steer me away from my favorite Dior fragrance, Miss Dior. (No, I take that back--if they reformulate it any more, I will refuse to buy it again.) Apparently my tastes do not agree with the masses. J'Adore is popular. Indeed, it is pleasant, and I can see why so many people like it. This genre of light, fruity florals is not my favorite. There are too many silly, simple ones. I wonder if most people wear them because they missed the chance to try anything better. For a fruity floral, I think Geir Ness Laila is more interesting. This is a Norweigan perfume of "mountain wildflowers" and a watermelon note, made with no synthetics--pretty amazing. I'll leave J'adore to the masses.

Viola by Ayala Moriel

Violet is a note that fascinates me. It is cooler than the notes I usually gravitate toward wearing. I seek it when I need something different. This fits the bill--it opens with a breath of greenness and then takes on the odd, aromatic, candylike scent that is charactistic of violets. I cannot reisist violet candies, either. They taste like a strange combination of fortified grape wine and anise to me. Both violet perfume and candies were more popular in days gone by, which is why I feel nostalgic about them. Perhaps it is not my favorite floral, but I do like to indulge in violets occasionally. This perfume captures that old-fashioned essence--sweet, floral, powdery, and unusual. Vanilla and tonka add a modern touch, making it smoother than its predecessors.