Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Tamya by Ayala Moriel

Tamya is a complex perfume--a fruity floral, but not in the classic sense. It is warm and quiet in its beauty. No particular note asserts itself, but all of them are singing in unison, as if in a chord. And an unexpected combination it is, with notes that are not often found in together (see pyramid). This woody, fruity, and floral blend results in a scent that I can only describe roughly as tutti-fruiti, polished wood, and wildflowers. Unique? Right. One would anticipate that such an unusual perfume would smell loud. Wrong! The result is a skin scent, understated and versatile.

Sutul by Ayala Moriel

Sutul is relentlessly cheeful. Don't wear this if you intend to wallow in your bad mood. Goths beware; avoid it entirely. Lemony grapefruit notes (almost apricot) blend joyfully with jasmine, light and sunny, and radiate from a tiny spot of perfume dabbed on my wrist. They glow like shades of yellow and orange. The scent is light but strong, fresh and realistically fruity--and the citrus is long lasting, which is especially admirable for an all natural product. I used to avoid fruity florals until I found natural perfumes. Synthetic fruits can smell too much like candy. The notes in this perfume burst forth like grapefruit oil from the peel. Sutul is a great fragrance, refreshing and clear, bright and happy. I love this.

Immortelle L'Amour by Ayala Moriel

Here I go with my gourmand challenge again. How do I wear something edible smelling without getting hungry? I can't do it. This one smells like maple syrup to me. I am a fanatic about maple syrup, refusing to buy any corn-syrup based, artificially flavored imitation, but insisting upon consuming only the pure, expensive boiled-down sap from sugar maple trees. This perfume compels me to make waffles. (Sigh.)

bront82's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

Dior Homme's little sister ... though a little more varied in the floral department, but ultimately, not nearly as nice.

bront82's avatar

Mister by Jasper Conran

Opens with a bit of cocaine-y leather, a la Tom Ford's Tuscan leather, and then moves slowly into a fairly good impression of CdG's Sequoia.

fusion's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

A very nice fragrance it was love at first sniff I love it from beginning to end lasted over 8 Hrs on me. I bumped into my friends wife in the mall and I asked her to accompany me so we can smell some fragrances, we smelled over 10 different kinds and she chose this hands down over all the others and I agree 2 thumbs up.

lion_dancer's avatar

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

This scent was made to be worn with lace and pearls. Big, fat, luminescent, pearls. and a pout to match.

ChildOfTheMoon's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

This is a shameless copy of Knowing by Estee Lauder. I can't believe no one mentioned it so far?! But definitely softer and unlike Knowing - powdery. Knowing is darker, richer and more potent, hence it lasts longer. To my nose Agent Provocateur is distinctly a rose chypre. I like the opening notes of coriander and middle notes of rose and jasmine.

The dry down is less impressive because much of the spicy scent disappears into a not-so-unique sweet powder. Knowing is much more impressive that way, hanging on to its richness to the very end.

But even so, try comparing these two fragrances and you'll be amazed at how much they have in common. Ignoring that (to me very important) fact, this is quite nice on its own. Even lovely.

But no matter how hard I try I cannot see it for its marketing as a sexy, dangerous scent. It's retro at best. I don't smell sex, or an idea of sex. But that's just fine by me. Who can trust the advertisements anyway? You'll probably enjoy this if you like spicy roses, regardless of your libido.

But if you're a bit twisted like me, and disappointed because there's no patchouli dirt in this and you wished the spice lasted longer, then my advice to you is to give Knowing a try. In that case, abandon this pink copy immediately and let us never speak of it again.

25th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27th June, 2008)

tergen's avatar

Rosewood by Banana Republic

Smells just like my nootka rose bushes watered on a hot summer's evening. Delightful. I would love a more masculine rendition.

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Let me summarize BF in three words: peanut butter sandwich (no jam, mind you). But you could try a peanut butter sandwich and fail, in which case it would just be a sad gimmmick, whereas BF is actually a pretty decent peanut butter sandwich. Yum! I don't know if I want to go around smelling like I've come fresh out of the toaster often enough to justify buying a full bottle, but I'll surely give it points for originality.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

It's okay. I could see someone enjoying this as an everyday office scent, and for that purpose it's not bad, I suppose. I thought I liked it at first, but it gets boring. Yawn. I've no business wih fresh, clean, masculine scents, since I've no desire to become an everyday office person.

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Weekend seems to be the least mentioned and the least highly regarded Burberry fragrance among Basenoters. Well, I protest. I don't really see what the complaint here with it being too feminine is all about, but then again I wear Carnal Flower in public. The citrus opening is fresh, and effervescent really is the right adjective here. The drydown smells like good soap. It does have somewhat a weak middle stage, as others have mentioned, where things are a bit confused. But otherwise a decent light, playful scent. Not the most elegant thing out there, sure, but you could pay a lot more and do worse than this.

Philosykos by Diptyque

This is as figgy as it gets. I prefer this one over Giacobetti's other fig scent, Premier Figuier. To me, Philosykos is a fig that has just been picked from the tree, a touch underripe; perhaps deliberately picked at that stage to retain greenness. Then from the fig fruit, we gradually move down the tree, and get more leaves and sap on the way. PF, on the other hand, is like a fig smoothie with coconut milk and other things in it.

Longevity and sillage is mediocre by Diptyque's usual standards, but I can live with it.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I mean, it's okay, I had it for a while. Tvlampboy said it - better than most mainstream frags released today, but by no means groundbreaking. Especially now that I have Douce Amere, another anisic oriental but far more elegant, to compare this one with, it does feel rough around the edges - like AdG made a half-hearted attempt at becoming an oriental.

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

It tries to be vaguely interesting with the coffee & apple combo, but it fails miserably and ends up smelling like a chemical soup sweetened with too much aspartame. The drydown is indistinguishable from every other generic designer cologne since Cool Water.

L'Oranger Neroli by L'Occitane

What a shame L'Occitane decided to continue this gem! It was probably the best from their lot and we should all petition to have it reissued.

The liquid has a vivid orange color, almost verging on red - the scent itself is just as thick, dense and intense. The opening is heady, intoxicating; the drydown is smooth, creamy and seductive (I detect some sweetness as well as greenery). My search for the perfect neroli is over, but sadly, now that I have found it I shall have to use my bottle sparingly since it seems unlikely I will be able to find a replacement.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Similarities with Eau des Merveilles? I don't think so.

One of the best designer offerings of 2006. I read somewhere that the bottle is supposed to represent earth and sky. Well, you know, that's not far off the mark at all. Ellena skillfully juxtaposes two elements - a vibrant monster grapefruit on one side, and on the other a combination of earthy and woody notes that include vetiver and cedar. I'm not usually the one to care about compliments from others, but this does seem to elicit more positive responses than any other that I have, so I take it that it's pretty public-friendly. A summer staple in my wardrobe. The only danger seems to be that it's becoming too popular.

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Death by plastic flowers.

My complaint here is not against its being rather feminine. I enjoy florals and I have no problems wearing feminine scents. Apparently, Gaultier didn't give Kurkdjian enough money to spend on material, since it just feels so damn synthetic and artificial. Such a shame, considering that I'm usually a sucker for neroli.

ga97's avatar

Tel Quel by Yves Rocher

I have been trying find more this one for years!
    Sweet, and woody oriental fragrance. My fav from Yves Rocher. I only have mini-bottle left.

Samouraï by Alain Delon

i really like this one, & its not so readily available,so you dont have to worry about smelling like ten guys in the same room

Samouraï 47 by Alain Delon

nice & fresh, a lighter version of the original.Not as good as the original but good all the same.

Dunhill by Dunhill

Man this is really nice & laid back but has a nice aura as you walk past the crowd, a headturner indeed.

Dunhill Pure by Dunhill

well its like,light,aquatic,and airy, its ok but aint nothin to wear to a sunday meeting.

pomeraniansiamese's avatar

Germany Germany

Midnight Poison by Christian Dior

This is a very good fragrance, more youthful than the original Poison, less exotic than Hypnotic Poison, no green freshness like Tendre. I thought it similar to Pure Poison, both very simple and nice. I noticed an amber note muddled with rose first and foremost, nothing quite artistic but it is a chic scent and quite pleasant at that.

AnnaSa's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Byblos Fuoco / Byblos Fire by Byblos

Spicey, but very one-dimensional. For a more intelligent take on this, try Etat Libre d'Orange's "Rien". If you like Fuoco you'll love Rien!

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

Cool Water Deep is my current casual favorite, it has great longetivity and the cactus sap really stands out as something out of the ordinary, but not flagrantly so. I really don't see the Cool Water + Acqua Di Gio or Polo Blue similarities, there's not the busy chaos of Cool Water, the citrus edge of AdG, or the cucumber note of Polo Blue.

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

Very reminiscent of Kenneth Cole Reaction, only replacing the apple with grapefruit and improving both the longevity and projection of the scent. Watermelon notes are a personal favorite of mine, and Game accents it with wonderful grapefruit and verbena leaf/lemon notes.

Brut Revolution by Fabergé

To me, Brut Revolution is just a slightly soapier clone of Acqua Di Gio without much silage or lasting power. If you like the smell of AdG but don't want to spend much on something that completely blends in with the crowd, this is one step above a gas station "InStyle" version. The bottle's kind of neat, too.

Notes: Woods, Patchouli, Black Pepper, Musk, Moss

KeLLsTar's avatar

Blu by Bulgari

Blv starts off very peppery (the Ginger I'm guessing)... this could very easily scare someone away, and may be headache inducing to some! This disappears quickly though, and the scent that remains is beautiful!

Blv is a subtle sexy, clean & powdery scent that makes you feel like a beautiful Italian woman (I know that sounds weird). Make sure you do not overspray otherwise it could be quite strong.

Blv is a great perfume for the occasions that you're not sure what to wear. It can easily be worn on a night out, or every day to the office. Highly recommended!

25th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27th December, 2009)

KeLLsTar's avatar

Joop! Femme by Joop!

Joop! Femme is a beautiful mysterious, husky & woody scent. For anyone who is familiar with Revlon's Unforgettable - Joop! Femme seems to be the "adult" version. It lasts a long time for an EDT. Recommended!