Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Ma Griffe by Carven

Ma Griffe is an pleasant soapy chypre that iseems like a younger, more innocent cousin to Ivoire. The most dominant notes are vetiver, galbanum, moss and gardenia (just a hint). Ma Griffe is a lady-like scent that I'm not sure that I would really want to wear as it has an inescapable old fashioned aspect to it. To my nose, there are a lot better smelling, more interesting perfumes out there than Ma Griffe.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

Diorissimo is the quintessential ode to Lily of the Valley and has, perhaps, a touch of Sweet Pea. I was surprised to learn from Luca Turin in his "Perfumes: The Guide" that all lily of the valley fragrances are reconstructions since no extractions from the flower are possible. Which makes me admire Diorissimo even more as it impeccably replicates the heady scent of lily of the valley. Diorissimo is a beautiful, elegant fragrance and would well suit someone who enjoys a velvety, rich white floral.

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Sous le Vent is an astringent chypre with agressive notes of oakmoss, galbanum and bitter citrus that I personally found to be very off-putting. It is a close twin to Coty's Chypre de Coty. In either case, I cannot imagine wanting to smell like these perfumes! Thankfully, Sous le Vent calms down eventually - I had to make myself resist scrubbing it off (ah - what I do in the name of perfume reviewing!). However, as chypres go, I easily prefer Chanel's 31 rue Cambon, Dior's Diorella, Hermes' Caleche or even Piguet's Bandit over Guerlain's Sous le Vent.

Visa by Robert Piguet

I was suprised at how much I liked Visa. I love Piguet's Bandit (in moderation) and hate Fracas (just too much) so I was a bit apprehensive to see whether Visa would evoke strong scent feelings as well.

As for the top/middle notes, I caught orange blossom, bergamtot, neroli, amber and just a touch of oak moss for depth. Visa seems similar to Annick Goutal's Nuits d'Hadrien but without the spicy cumin notes.

Overall Visa is a warm, elegant scent that would be appropriate for many occasions, casual or dressy. I also think it could work in all four seasons, even the hotter months.

Stella by Stella McCartney

My first whiff of Stella conjured up an impression of a beautiful rose fragrance and I immediately wondered why I hadn't tried it before. The top notes of Stella are sheer warm roses with a touch of lemon verbena. Gorgeous.

However, after 15-20 minutes into the testing, the Stella scent kind of died on my wrist and there was really nothing left to smell. I've never had this happen with an EDP before and it was very strange. Tried it twice and got the same reaction both times.

Paris Roses des Bois by Yves Saint Laurent

To my nose, YSL's Roses de Bois is an exact scent twin to YSL's Paris. In fact, I really wished I'd had some Paris handy so I could have figured out the difference between the two. In any event, Roses de Bois is a deeply sweet rose jam scent that is quite elegant. I think it is great, but then I am a huge rose fan!

Nuit Noire by Mona di Orio

With Nuit Noire, it felt as if Mona di Orio was trying to do a modern take on a classic type of perfume. Nuit Noire is a powdery floral that has a touch of musk but I couldn't pick out any specific middle notes. Reading the notes listed up above was surprising- I definitely did not get ginger, clove, cinnamon, etc. The base note, however, smelled like just like red grapes.

I kind of see where Mona di Orio was trying to go with Nuit Noire but honestly, it is just not a likeable scent.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

I was suprised by L'Air du Desert Marocain - it really did not smell at all like what I was expecting. In fact, I halfway wondered if I somehow erroneously had received a sample of Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories instead given the notes that I caught.

It started out smelling like spicy amber incense and then in the same fashion as Tauer's Reverie au Jardin, L'Air du Desert Marocain did a 180 and started emitting notes of smoke, cedar and old leather. Other than the intial incense note, it did not remind me of Morocco at all (which I've visited). Rather, L'Air du Desert Marocain evoked thoughts of a taciturn, weather beaten cowboy pulling off his burnished leather boots by a crackling cedar bonfire.

sedonaperfumery's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Jil Sander Woman II by Jil Sander

Another rare fragrance, and we are delighted to have this hard to find Jil Sander. It is called Woman Two, and made in West Germany. Has an orange box.

depmodal's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Very brief top note of citrus gives way to raspberry, which dominates. Lavender fights for it's life to save it, but perhaps sweetens it further thus cheapening it into a noxious fruity candy. The slow to evolve woodsy base is a little too little and a little too late. Perhaps a junior high scent?

Volanges's avatar

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I first smelled this fragrance in the summer of 1994. I was in an elevator in Montreal when a very handsome man stepped in and filled the elevator with a delicious, sweet scent. I immediately asked him what he was wearing, "Roma by Laura Biagiotti," he replied. Whenever I smell this fragrance, I am transported to that exact moment in time and to that summer. It has since become my trademark scent to wear in the warmer months of the year.
    The combination of citrus and sweetness is what wins me over, as well as its long permanence on my skin, hours after I applied it. While some reviewers complain of a chemical lingering scent, I do not mind it at all and to me it is part of this fragrance's signature. I always get compliments on it. Although its sweetness is now dated, for me it is not a bad thing to relive the early 90's...

chocolateguy's avatar

Vietnam Vietnam

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

At first sniff, I got a little disappointed, cause Amen Pure Coffee is not what I'd imaged. Amen PC was totally Amen with that sweet, deep, stronge. Full of chocolate. But after about 15minutes, everything changed. The smell of pure coffee mixing with chocolate was so wonderful that I couldn't stop enjoying its smell. A wonderful scent for spring. Smooth, soft, warm, and attractive. Amen PC's so much more nature than Amen. Easy to wear. Easy to enjoy. Easy to get everyone's attention. I love it!!!

dathrilla's avatar

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

The best female scent ever made. I've recommended this scent to every girl I know.

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

A classical ambery floral from the hand of Jacques Guerlain, the master himself! This one is quite a voyage, in a couple of ways.

First, it is definitely a trip down memory lane. Just over a hundred, this lady is still remarkably fresh and not at all out of style. She is gentle and unobtrusive, but makes a strong statement for subtlety in the best sense of the word. Even though Après l'Ondée wears remarkably well today, it does hearken back to an earlier time. This is the time of no-time, when time didn't matter, and leisurely life was a given; before the mad rush and stress of modern life, there was a still center that can even now be touched in wearing this scent.

Second, it is an olfactory journey of elegant, gentle turns and subtle surprises. Right at the beginning, the gentle clove-scented hint of carnation begins to appear, even as the top notes are still unfolding. The violet and cassie are subtly piquant, prefiguring and blending with the carnation, a prolepsis of future charm. The white florals, jasmine, ylang, and neroli, form a chord, broken across the top and middle notes. The mimosa in the heart echoes the cassie-acacia in the head. Heliotrope in the base picks up from the headier florals above and anchors them along with it in a sweet bed of amber, vanilla, and musk. The journey is smooth, a stately development and interlacing of themes: hesperides, acacias, white florals, rose, oriental notes, and the gentlest animalic touch of musk.

The subtle melding of accords wafts the gentle breath of spring; this is the perfect time of year for a scent such as this.

It can be a pleasure to renew acquaintance with the lost art of a true master, as was Jacques Guerlain. This is a perfume for today, but, sadly, I feel it would never have been made today. Yet the secret of a classic is that it, too, lives in the land of no-time, where the passing of hours, days, and years cannot touch it; where it is beyond the reach of decay and loss.

Derby by Guerlain

This is right up there with Cuir de Russie and all the other great leather scents. This one is definitely in the masculine mode, very straightforward, yet seamlessly constructed so that it hangs together as a unity. To the delighted nose, this could be a novel single note and hardly seems like anything constructed. The words for this are natural and unselfconscious. A benchmark masculine leather-chypre.

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

Green, astringent, spicy-floral eau-de-cologne type scent. Basil, petitgrain, carnation are the hallmarks; moss, amber and musk, the support; and caraway is the surprise. Definitely classic within the genre, but just innovative enough to be really distinctive in a very wide (and sometimes shallow) field of eaux de cologne. In my view, the best of the Guerlains of the genre.

26 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 September, 2009)

Insensé by Givenchy

A floral for men, and what a floral! An incredibly rich mix of floral notes in the heart with a citrus-fruity herbal top, and grounded in woods and amber. A kind of light chypre accord (no patchouli, but oakmoss in the base, with citrus top notes) complements what is essentially a fougère fragrance. Can men wear this? Some men think it feminine, but it was made for us, guys! I say "Hop to it!"

The name, by the way, is French for "senseless," "foolish," "insane." A good name, I think, since it really does drive me crazy!

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

I completely agree with Vibert on this. The immortelle (everlasting flower) and almondy heliotrope are the perfect foils for the soft leather of CB. The creamy character is due to these two elements, I believe. Immortelle is used to round out florals, chypres, and ambers. It possesses a syrupy, honeyed, and slightly nutty aspect with hints of tobacco and red berries. Not overly fruity, it piques the nose just enough to give the impression of a fruity richness while hardy revealing the fruit on a conscious level. Heliotrope's almond touch reinforces the nuttiness and adds a soupçon of cherry pie (again, subtly and just under the radar).

Amber and vanilla in the base, of course. Would this be Guerlain without them?

Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

The French invented papiers d'Arménie, strips of paper that were impregnated with incense notes of benzoin and frankincense. These were burned to perfume the air in the home in the days before air fresheners. Guerlain has updated the concept into a beautiful oriental fragrance that deepens the resinous notes with patchouli, rich woods, and balsams; at the same time it is lightened by florals and brought out by delicate spicy notes. This is really a distinguished shared fragrance, and a smooth and elegant presence for any wearer.

26 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

Cruel Gardenia by Guerlain

I recently decided to get this new creation from the Arts et Matière series. I have to say that I find it captivating. The top notes are classic: an aldehydic peach with orange blossom and rose. The scent then flows into a heart of white flowers with musk and a hint of violet. It finishes with a vanillic-coumarin and sandalwood flourish. It is gentle and not at all loud, but it has a definite sillage. The character of this is reassuring and nurturing, indulging the senses in a wonderfully innocent, yet opulent gesture.

I think in certain circumstances it can be worn by a man, lightly and with a suitable insouciance. Probably not for work or a first date, to be sure; but for a quiet afternoon, a spiritual moment, an intimate walk with a knowing lover. Wear it and wink at the world; be shy, but win the universe's tacit compliance with a frank and indisputable suchness.

Axe Africa / Lynx Africa by Axe / Lynx

For some odd reson, i guess this one smjells like the late nineties to me. It's amazing how many costly and not at all mass-market woody notes went into this one. The main recipe used here- a cocktail of rich, sensual, exotic woods- seems to have worked perfectly here, creating a virile, energetic, warm, lush creation that doesn't reveal how affordable it is.

Axe Apollo / Lynx Apollo by Axe / Lynx

Safe, uncomplicated mass-market ozonic-watery in a clean and easygoing style. This one would be much more liked by me if, aside from being mass-market, would not smell like most 16-18 year old male ( and not just male ) teens would smell- to be more precise, if it were less sweet, soft and generic.

Surrender for Him by Avon

Altough i would like to disagree with previous reviewers, to me this scent has only a moderate/limited lasting power, while its sweetness is slightly overdone and unilateral. Without being a fan of macho scents, i miss a slight bit more edge and that certain manly something here, this one being rather underdeveloped even by the standards of the mostly ( but not mandatory, not necessarily ) affordable male scents by Avon.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I've just taken possession of my very own bottle of Black, having lusted after it for a couple of years. When I first came to the perfumista world, I tried Black expecting to be shocked and repelled as it's touted as a 'wierd and wonderful' scent, yet I found it very comforting and familiar. The rubber note doesn't spring out too much on my skin (though I like rubbery, tarry smells anyway) and sadly, I don't get any baby powder, or black tea. Instead, I get a nice lingering saddle leather followed by a deep, comforting vanilla. Since I adore both notes, this makes me very happy.

I'd certainly recommend anyone of either sex to try this fragrance - it crops up frequently as a reference and it's an interesting and unique composition. Also, it's widely enough available that you should be able to get to smell it. It's often put in the Men's section of perfumeries, but is very much unisex.

bront82's avatar

Dazzling Silver by Estée Lauder

I had to smell it after Turin gave it such a good review ... he, unlike myself, seems to love Lauder. I always used to buy my mom the compacts for x-mas, and the scents never really appealed to me, they always seemed to be in the way of what I was actually buying.

Strangely, this smells exactly like a self-tanner I use ... Sun Dial ... though it came out nearly 10 years before my Banana Boat. The fragrance is beyond synthetic, which usually kills my buzz immediately, not so in this case. Dazzling Silver is so smooth and clean. Its very American and very department store. Its a little too clean for my tastes ... kind of like someone put a bouquet of flowers in the sink and started scrubbing them with dish soap. The lilies are a bit funereal and overall the scent is a bit too pure, but I like this more than I should.

On the right girl, in the right sweater set, with the right ring on her finger, this could just be the perfect scent.

HDS1963's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I cannot for the life of me understand the negative reviews submitted here about this fragrance.

This is a delightfully clean and gentlemanly fragrance. You can wear this when suited and booted, or at the weekend with jeans and a casual shirt.

When you consider the mass market for citrus openings and ozonic scents where men apparently like very clean and fresh fragrances, then really they should be buying this. This oozes class, the mass market frags don't.

What I particularly like is the opening. Yes there are elements of citrus in there but it's the violet which sings loudest, projecting an elegant haze around the user. I like floral notes in male perfumes and this one does it beautifully.

This fragrance never tries hard to please, it settles into a wonderfully smooth and comfortable drydown. It is understated and beautifully put together.

Thumbs up? Oh yes.

HDS1963's avatar

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

I can honestly say that this is one of the unsung heros of fragrance.

It is a masterpiece. Yes, it's ridiculously macho, but my god it teaches the metallic, ozonic, citrussy mass market fragrances of today a thing or two about being male.

Big chunks of wood, bashed around with patchouli, lumps of cedar wood lurk in the corners and with an ambery notes hanging out with opoponax, it is as rich and lucious as a truly male fragrance can be.

It also has a rather unique quality to it. I've been going through a divorce recently and have been feeling very down. At the depths of my lowness, I wore this and it made me feel better, I don't know why, nobody I know has ever worn it. It just has a warmth and envelopping quality to it which feels so good.

I wasn't that struck on this when I first got it, because my purchase immediately prior to it was Heritage, which is far more subtle. So this was a bit of a blunt instrument after the intricate finesse of Heritage. But it so easy to misjudge Lagerfeld Classic. This is, in its own way a very sexy, rich and complex scent.

When I first got it, I thought I'd never get through the bottle. Now I'm not so sure.

Highly recommended.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

great scent.
    this cologne is best worn in the summer time.
    nice clean fruity fragrance and the chicks love it.
    one of the best citrus colognes out there.

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

great scent.
    either like this one or dont, its very sophisticated and different.
    fruity fragrance with something like lemon and others, different than your average fruity cologne.
    this one if far better than the original be delicious.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

fantastic scent.
    fuel for life is perfect, different than anything out there.
    it is a bit sweet but i love sweet colognes.
    a lovely combination of sweet citrus and fuit with some sweet musk