Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Déclaration Bois Bleu by Cartier

I was really diggin this years ago, but the older i get, the more my nose seems to mature,now this is just an (OH WELL)bottle,any body wanna trade?

L'Anarchiste by Caron

Bought it blind off the internet based on the sweet lookin bottle,the contents however not sweet at all. Matter of fact, i have yet to wear in the public to see what the world thinks about it,until then ill stay neutral

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Man, i gotta pull this back out and give it another try! All of these thumbs up for play-doh in a green bottle? i put it soooooooooo far back in my collection that i need reed richards arms to pull it back to the surface. but ill try it one more time when i dig it up, until then: THUMBS DOWN!

Céline pour Homme by Céline

This is decent: ill say that and be through with it, not a knock you off your feet kinda frag but one that will get the job done.

Herrera for Men Refreshing Ginger by Carolina Herrera

In my opinion, nothing like the others,this one has it's own identity.Which im still trying to figure out.I own so many different frag's that i try to find something totally different from time to time. And when i smelled this, i had to have it, but ive only wore it twice since purchasing it because it didnt give me that WOW factor that it did upon purchasing it.

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Very refined,one of carolina's better works as of late.Plenty of depth and personality to this one.

Coco Extreme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Dude, i thought this was a mans cologne,cuz im rockin it & my only complaint is the longevity!

Omniryx's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

An earlier reviewer used the term "cerebral" and I realized that he chose precisely the correct description. This is a fragrance that demands a measure of maturity and sophistication. Perhaps one might begin by noting that it is reminiscent of a high mass but that barely scratches the surface. As the scent matures on the body, it discloses a broad range of tantalizing elements just below the surface. In this regard, it differs from Messe de Minuit in that the latter (which I like very much) just takes you to mass and leaves you there. As with most well crafted fragrances, a list of ingredients tells you relatively little about the total effect. I can fault it only in that as it slowly fades out it becomes simplified and sweetish. Not the fragrance for the man who has to be right up to the minute with the latest and greatest, Avignon is refined and elegant. I cannot imagine it being worn successfully by anyone under thirty. Truly, young guys, you'll smell like you're wearing your rich and urbane uncle's clothing.

Splash61's avatar

True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

This is one of my favorites. It's kind of weird b/c you have to spritz it just right to make it smell its best, otherwise it disappears really fast. When you do, it lasts pretty much all day and it'll keep you smelling really clean. There's a note in it somewhere that smells kind of like laundry hanging out to dry, and it rounds it out really nicely. It's best for warmer days and summer time.

gf8x's avatar

Vietnam Vietnam

Gillette Cool Wave by Gillette Series

Great.Fresh and manly.Long lasting even it's aftershave product.I love it.If there is any EDT has scent like this, i'll get it to have a set.

chaoskitty's avatar

Showtime by Kylie Minogue

My husband bought me this because, and only because I'm a Kylie fan. A very blind buy.
    First time out it didn't really grab me, but a few wears on and I'm rather liking it. Yes it is one of a gazillion celebrity fruity florals, but it's not bad. In fact it's rather nice. It is very sweet, certainly to start with, and if you'll be spending time closely with other people one squirt is quite enough. Yet it doesn't smell as childlike as some others seem to ( e.g. JLo Live, though I do enjoy it), but is still quite a cheery summery scent.

Préparation Parfumée by Andrée Putman

Andree Putman's Preparation Parfumee is a cool, casually elegant fragrance which evokes thoughts of beaches in Pacific Northwest. It starts out with a distinct cedar/pepper/coriander note and then rather than veering off to a cozy log cabin in the woods like 10 Corso Como does, Preparation Parfumee takes the path to the beach on a cloudy day and settles herself near a pile of driftwood in quiet contemplation. Lovely scent but as other reviewers have noted, it does not last too terribly long.

Armani Privé Pierre de Lune by Giorgio Armani

Pierre de Lune is light, understated and kind of hard to get acquainted with, rather like when you have to make an effort to get a shy child to warm up to you but but once you do, it is very rewarding. There is no one dominant scent note. This is a perfume that evokes a sense of coziness and comfort. In a good way, it smelled like a cotton towel fresh from the dryer (without the involvement of Bounce or other fabric softeners) or my skin fresh from the shower, before putting any perfume on. I was quite suprised by the "warm" aspect of Pierre de Lune since normally iris is a cold scent to me. It would be a great perfume to give someone who likes light fragrances or who is kind of scared of perfume in general.

Forever and Ever Dior by Christian Dior

Forever and Ever is a freesia and jasmine combination that is nice but honestly, it is a little boring. I think it would appeal to someone that wants very clean-smelling light fragrance for summer.

Dior Star by Christian Dior

Dior Star is a light well-blended floral perfume that would perfect to wear in the summer. Despite the notes listed above, I thought I detected jasmine and sweet pea, however I certainly caught the cozy hint of white musk at the end. One thing to keep in mind, though, prior to purchasing Dior Star is that it has very little sillage. It stayed on my skin for about an hour and then quietly drifted away.

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

Cruel Intentions is an oddly mesmerizing perfume which accomplished something that no other perfume has ever done for me before. As strange as it may seem, the notes truly scroll by in ever-changing fragrance slideshow. Here is what I was able to catch, in order of appearance: sweetish rose, mustiness, earthiness, patchouli, vetiver, leather and cedar. Cruel Intentions was clearly composed by someone with a terrific sense of humor who delights in surprises.

The sillage was ok. It lasted about 2 hours on my skin.

Lisa from Sweden's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

Yes, I think you may call this a "young" fragrance. It's really sweet... I think it fits well on a school girl (of some reason). A fragrance you'd wear days when you don't feel too "deep-minded".
    I think, but can't be sure, that this one is a quite unique fragrance. But I'm NOT an expert.

zenana's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

wow, what an experience. on first spray this smells exactly like you've sunk into a vat of ice cream with caramel and chocolate sauce -- there's a sharp, sour whiff of berries. I got very little patchouli. By the end of the night, and on my clothes next day, the stuff smelled exactly like unwashed bodies covered up with a lot of baby powder. I agree with all reviewers that this is an "exciting" fragrance, but it's also nauseating -- I'd NEVER wear it. I'm giving my bottle to my mother, who loves it. She said she used to wear it and adored it but that everyone who smelled her hated it.

bart0117's avatar

South Korea South Korea

Vetiver by Guerlain

My favourite along with Nantucket Briar...

precious321's avatar

Cerissa by Revlon

I liked it so well I named my Daughter after it...

JaimeB's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

This is one of the best of the Exclusifs line. A chypre without oakmoss. A chypre based on an iris-pepper accord. Iris, rose, jasmine, sandalwood, pepper. Polge says he used a variety of patchouli he likes to replace oakmoss in the base, which he finds too bitter. An oriental chypre.

These are things one reads about 31 Rue Cambon. It does come across as a chypré scent; but without the oakmoss it leaves you hanging, tantalized to figure out if this chypré scent is a true chypre or not. The equivocation on the genre theme is central, but the overall impression still satisfies. It is modern: not too rich, but making allusion to the old familiar richness of other chypres we have known. With expert fancy footwork, it dances around the chypre concept and leaves us gaping at the mystery of its construction. With all the fragrances in the Exclusifs series, Chanel is playing the notes very close to the chest. Skeletal descriptions of the pyramids, mere allusions to this or that ingredient, when you know there are dozens of elements in the mix.

Conclusions? Beautiful, captivating, tantalizing, allusive, mysterious... Everything a perfume should be. Everything the wearer would like to be.

Dirt by Demeter Fragrance Library

My first Demeter fragrance that I still wear and I love it!

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I love this fragrance on others but on me I can't wear like so many other fragrances. To those who can wear it more power to them!!

Nemo by Cacharel

Of all Cacharel fragrances this one did nothing for my skin. It smelled good on others just not on me. On me it smelled synthetic while on others I smelled the incense and was a bit jealous. But I don't wear everything well and this one I couldn't. I kept hoping one day I could but now it's discontinued, but I guess I'll search on line for it and find a bottle for the collection just like I dream of one day hoping that Obsession will smell good on me too.

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

I have to say I like Spark a lttle more than Spark Seduction. I gave my bottle of Spark away and am left with Spark Seduction which I rarely wear. I don't find that Spark smells exactly like Varvatos which I also own, far from it. Everyones olfactory senses are different I imagaine. I did wear Spark but rarely the Spark Seduction. I imagine I like fragrances with fig in them and perhaps that's why I like Spark so much. And it smelled good on me wherein Seduction smorta smells blase on me. I owned over 50 bottles of fragrances and gave so many away and now regret it. I gave this one guy a bottle of Green Irish Tweed cause I didn't really care for it and he droped the bottle and broke it on the way home. If I knew that's what his plans for it would be I would have just kept it and not worn it. Some people are too funny. I gave away Minataure, etc., etc., and now wish I had just kept them cause now I pretty much gotta start over. I won't buy the same things again but now I will do more listening to you guys post more and sneak to the department stores and try them out then go online and buy (only way to do it!!)

Spark Seduction for Men by Liz Claiborne

I like both Spark Seduction and Spark and unfortunately gave my bottle of Spak away. I wish I hadn't because I think I liked the original Spark somewhat more. I rarely wear this. It's a nice fragrance but if I don't wear something and it just sits in the draw what's the point of owning it. I can't remember the last time I wore it. Maybe I'll put some on today. For some reason I don't feel that I stand out when wearing it as I do when I wear other fragrances.

Christmas Tree by Demeter Fragrance Library

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree forever true your colours!! I have this one and wear it with pleasure and would recommend it to anyone for the early fall through the winter. It's just great.

Twolf's avatar

Moods by Krizia

Politely disagree with the previous review. It is a gorgeous woody floral scent with an olde worlde chypre feel. The beginning of sharp green transparent bergamot sets one mood, the luscious heart of clover, acacia (did someone say "acacia honey"?) and sweet linden blossom bring you in the entirely new state of soul and the final accord of softest moss, woods (pine, cedar) and a touch of castoreum makes a great statement.

Wonderful, get it when you can, it can easily pass for "niche".

Sillage6's avatar

Citizen Queen by Juliette Has a Gun

Citizen Queen is a warm Aldehydic Chypre that is tempered by a satin pillow of ambery notes that are soft and whispy.
    Far from the crisp, dry Aldehydic Floral Chypre such as Hermes, Caleche, Ricci's latest Rose Chypre swirls on the wrist and is quite playful.

Another great masterpiece by Kurkdjian!

tnamey's avatar

Sandalwood (original) by Crabtree & Evelyn

A sandalwood classic. Mysore sandalwood mixed with cedar and citrus. A classic for a sure cure for "sandalwood" fetish!