Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

Maroc Pour Elle starts off with an unidentifiable spicy top note that seemed very mysterious. It definitely evoked thoughts of the medina I went to in Marrakech a long time ago. As the scent opened up, I then caught notes of incense, orange blossom and verbena. I am not an incense gal and so would not want to wear this myself but I certainly appreciate the artistry and effort it took to make such an unusual perfume. Andy Tauer is a very talented man!

Prima Ballerina by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Prima Ballerina has a little sharpness in the beginning but it fades away quickly. There is deinitely a top note of rose and lime. Sage is also there but very faint. It is a very "green" fragrance. It reminds me of lush tall green trees and shrubbery in Mississippi where I am originally from. I like it but would not want to smell like this all day.

Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer

Reverie au Jardin is one of the more interesting fragrances I have smelled in a very long time. The top note is a sparkling green fir scent but that changes in 3-4 minutes. At that point, the scent morphs into a lovely warm, powdery lavender scent that is beautiful and enchanting. Wow! This is FB worthy in my opinion.

Palazzo by Fendi

Palazzo has a warm ambery scent and is a very typical Fendi fragrance to me. I could faintly smell the orange blossom but mostly it seemed like a very well blended amber to me. Palazzo seems like it was made for an Italian woman, aged 55-65, who is permanently tanned and wears lush fox fur coats. Very long lasting, by the way.

Sogni del Mare by Antonia's Flowers

This smelled like a vanilla-musk-ozonic combo to me. It reminded me a lot of Salvador Dali's Laguna which a friend of mine used to wear. Anyways, it is a pleasant gentle fragrance that I think anyone couls wear. The problem for me with Sogni di Mare is that it does not have much "ooomph" to it, in contrast to AF's signature scent which has that unmistakable high octane zippy freesia note and AF' Floret which has that gorgeous strong sweet pea scent. Sogni di Mare is just low-key and would be perfect for someone that wants to blend in with the crowd.

(Note: I have also posted my review on MUA)

Comme des Garçons White by Comme des Garçons

Fantastic juice with a lovely dry down. Powerful and icy from beginning to end with a touch of incense thrown in with the rose. Have re-visited twice, but looking for 888 next time.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Whoa -- too much for me -- I'm not a fat cat big game hunter. It's a lovely, spicy rich scent but way too powerful and of its time I think -- this will clear a train carriage no problem.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

It's like being in a very old room or gallery that has lacqeured wood surrounds. Best of the Incense range by a mile.

White Jasmine & Mint by Jo Malone

I get mainly mint all the way through with just a hint of florals. It's pleasant enough and I'll use the 30ml I purchased, but won't go back for more. The JM range seems to lack something imo -- maybe depth. What you smell on the card is what you get at the end -- there are no moves I can detect - if you like the initial burst, you'll be fine. The Honeysuckle is lovely for women though.

Grand Amour by Annick Goutal

I like helg´s review.But somehow that actress gets home , and eventually removes her make up and takes off her expensive luxurious clothes , and after all, you know what? She is only a woman.That happens to me with this one.Reminds me of guerlain´s nahema, lots of flowers ,great first impresion , sweet ,charming ,but after a month gives me the feeling of dead flowers on me.Like a funeral under the sun. Pretty scary eh?

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Incredible! A treasure,not easy to love though, but one of those that , once you have tried you can´t live without.A classic,like a jaguar ,like Harrison Ford before he met Calista F,like an artist in Paris,like an old movie you could see again and again.
    Very french and chic after so many years,elegant and....mine,mine,mineee.

03 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 April, 2008)

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

I was given this as a gift by a former boss while living in London 15 years ago.Probably I was too young to wear it those days but you can´t imagine how elegant and mature it made me feel ( I was in my early twenties then). I used to love Isabella Rosellini´s style and even today when I think of a face for this perfume , it is hers.Romantic , natural, sweet like a walk along kew gardens.

Poême by Lancôme

It took me sometime to get used to this one.It wasn´t love at first sight at all.But now it has become one of my favourites for cold weather and my husband loves it.One day I wore it to the office and a work mate came in and said: "There is something here that smells really lovely,do you know what it is?" And I said: " No idea". After all a woman should always keep some secrets!

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

There is something nostalgic about this one.Reminds me of a sunny day having a picnic with friends ,under a tree , drinking red wine and relaxing,with nothing to worry about or to fear.Days of happiness wearing long white dresses and hats, laughing,reading,closing your eyes smelling the beautiful flowers while your imagination flies..

Eau de Rochas by Rochas

Perfect for summer! The first time I smelt this I was 15 and I remember thinking "it´s the best thing I have ever smelt",When I was older I bought it with my first salary , and soon, it became a favourite at home .My sister and my mum used to borrow it.It brings wonderful memories.

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

If you went for a walk along the sea in the mediterranean coast , it would smell like this.Very nice for summer.

Lauren Style by Ralph Lauren

I have a love/hate relationship with this one.My husband likes it,and although there is nothing wrong with it , there nothing too brilliant in it either, so I soon get tired of it.Good for one of those days when you don´t know what to wear and you want to smell nice without being noticed.Better for spring and summer.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Similar to Narciso Rodriguez for her but softer.Nice for office wear or for a lunch with friends.Beautiful bottle too.I even like the advert with Sarah Jessica Parker as a ballet dancer,although I have never been very fond of her.So different from her other fragance , Covet!

Soir de Lune by Sisley

Spicy perfume with citrus and flowers,lovely for a romantic date or for spring time.Cheers me up.

shza's avatar

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

I hate to disagree, but I can't stand this scent. After about five minutes, I am overwhelmed by a very musty incense smell. It smells like a church. The iodine note, which comes comes through like a wave, maybe every 10 seconds or so, is also overwhelming and strikes me as very synthetic (it smells almost of gasoline as much as salt; I don't get an aquatic sense from it at all), and almost makes me nauseous. I find every aspect of this scent unpleasant, and anything but mellow or clean. I cannot wait to go home and shower.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

The story goes like this: You are at your grandfather’s house. You are bored… and than you notice grandfather’s “old days memories” box. You’re thinking “yeah… why not?”. You’re opening it… and what do you find there? Some old photos, turned yellow letters, half torn documents and… a scent.
    Well, it is a huge possibility that the scent you found smells like (and even looks like) Cacharel pour Homme. It is old-fashioned, but somehow dear and agreeable, at least to me.
    Cacharel pour Homme is based on “the axis” lavender-clove. It has very good longevity, but stays close to the skin all the time.
    It isn’t a compliment collector and certainly not an up-to-date one. It won’t shout from your skin “hey, notice me, I’m an egocentric scent!”; but try it anyway, you won’t regret. I didn’t.
    Some scents are made to live just for a while; some are made to live forever.

03 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 November, 2010)

Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9

This is a dead ringer for Jo Malones Lime, Basil and Mandarin. However, this is much better! The problem that many people have with Jo Malone is that her scents dont last very long and this one lasts very long.

It isnt EXACTLY like LBM by Jo Malone, but its EXACTLY like the TOP NOTE of LBM. It stays lime-refreshing all the way through with just a hint of basil. A lot of people dont like LBM because after 20 minutes the lime and mandarin is gone and all that is left is the wilted smell of basil, but this is the opposite:

After 20 minutes Noveau Bowery is still lime and crisp but with just a touch of basil. If you like Jo Malones LBM, buy this instead, It has better staying power, longer lasting and more citrus-refreshing appeal

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

This is a dead ringer for Paco Rabanne. It smells woodsy, warm, a little sandlewood and a lot like men over the age of 40+ . This is not a bad scent, but everyone asked me if I was wearing paco rabanne. If they cant tell the difference why should you? This scent costs 180 bucks and paco rabanne is 38 bucks...you do the math..

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

Masculine, Unique, Slightly Aquating yet incredibly Spicy. This is best Bond 9 fragrance I have ever smelled for Men! The staying power is excellent, and the compliments dont ever stop from strangers!

It starts off with a pineapple, aquatic and fresh opening. The violet and pineapple work together and grow into a distinct tropical aquatic to a barely noticeable floral. As the fruit and freshness of this scent fades after the first 10-15 minutes the lily of the valley lingers for a few minutes and begins to get warm. The sandlewood, amber and oakmoss begin to grow. It starts off a bit fresh and simliar to Creed's Erolfa and Silver Mountain Water, but then turns into something so rich and rare:

It transforms into a masculine powerhouse scent similar to the legends of the 80s (Think Santos by Cartier, Antaeus by Chanel) and becomes the epitome of a dressy evening fragrance for men to wear. The lasting power is unbelievable and I have never smelled a fragrance that has this chameleon like character- transcending fresh, fruity, floral and finally masculine.

I know that spending upwards of 200 bucks for a cologne is quite pricey but Riverside Drive is worth every damn penny! A BIG THUMBS UP!

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

A cheap synthetic knock off Creed's Imperial Milesime. I have heard the Bond 9 references to be knock offs of Creed and this is the most obvious. I am extremely disappointed by this scent. I thought" Wow! Wall street...masculine, spicy.. a manly man scent!" and..then..I smell it..and what do I smell??

CUCUMBERS!!

What kind of a wall street bond trader or investment banker walks up and down the street smelling like cucumbers!!?!?! Its a lot like Imperial Milesmile but has a cucumber scent instead of a melon watery opening. The staying power is weak and it smells like cheap vodka after a while.

This scent smells a lot like Sean John by P diddy. Wall Street is overall just Not a very good fragrance with poor lasting power.

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

I agree its a light like light blue. The dry down is the most important feature of this scent, and it smells exactly like light blue. Save your money and buy D&G light blue

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

Somewhat exotic this one. Mango top is very well done, especially if you are familiar with the actual fruit. A bit strange to transition into a generic mocha only to swith to a fruity drydown.

I guess it is like visiting a Carib island and you had to have your Starbucks at lunch time.

04 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2010)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Like others I believe this is the best ALLURE to date. The opening is quite lemony, then it moves on to a Bulgari ph rendition...slightly dark earthy woods. This hangs for a while before it nicely transitions to Mugler Cologne in the dry down. It is just awesome. Well worth the price.

Fog_Lyfe's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

My new signature scent! ..gets d hunniez *you kno wut* down there! ;-) Hot date/feeling sexy/feeling GQ…I reach for The Dreamer -gets the job done..plain n simple! ;-) Smear sum of this juice on ur neck….instant MoJo..rRRrrr!!

NearFantastica's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

Do I dare to review the mythical beast that is Montale's Black Aoud. Oh, brothers and sisters.. I dare. I have a soft spot for heavy, dank scents and based on reviews, Black Aoud should have been right up my ally. I'm not sold. It's not that I don't see the value or artistic significance in the creation... I just don't enjoy wearing it. Upon initial application, the Aoud, quite expectedly goes on sharp and medicinal. I don't get much of the much discussed complexity in this scent. A hint of rose - a dose of patchouli - a bit of warmth. This fragrance has very little development on me and seems to drag. It becomes a lot more impressive in the drydown stage, but the initial 'paint thinner meets perfumery' character nags at me. I sold my 1.7oz bottle and have not regretted it. This is as neutral a rating as I can give. It's a good scent, if unspectacular. With my arsenal of scents that evoke personal response.. I would never even think to reach for it. Black Aoud.. the myth.. the legend.. the 'shrug'.