Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

tnamey's avatar

Sandalwood (original) by Crabtree & Evelyn

A sandalwood classic. Mysore sandalwood mixed with cedar and citrus. A classic for a sure cure for "sandalwood" fetish!

tnamey's avatar

Zizanie by Fragonard

This fragrance is a classic, and yet, for the powedry tones, it is also very masculine. It does last and may come across as "strong." Wear it lightly and it smells wonderful, hours and hours later. It is not a "little" boys fragrance and much more suited the the successful gentleman. Thumbs up by me!

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Poussière de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Beautiful! It's luscious, soft red, warm, rich & cozy. The apricot smells peachy to me & goes great w/rose. I love the balance this has between light/happy & dark/sultry. Very womanly. I'd feel fine wearing this any season.

scentsitivity's avatar

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Fresh and earthy green, with a deep spicy woodiness. Very clean, but not in a modern synthetic way. Penhaligon’s website describes English Fern as ‘delicate’ – I don’t see it that way. Perhaps restrained and refined, but there is nothing delicate or fragile here. Interestingly, Penhaligon’s classifies English Fern as a chypre, whereas most of our reviewers see it as a fougère. I can’t see English Fern as unisex. It is for a strong, confident man.

scentsitivity's avatar

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Rather generic aquatic scent with a subtle spiciness in the opening. Nothing especially remarkable or unique here. Inoffensive and tolerable, so I give it a neutral rating.

fusion's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Summer 2006 by Issey Miyake

A very nice fragrance a lighter version of the original and as good but not better, but I only say that because I love L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme but that aside if you think the original is to strong then you will like this it is wonderful on a hot summer day a thumbs up.

fusion's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

This was a blind purchase and at first sniff I thought Hmmm its OK, but after an Hr or so this transform into a great fragrance. This is going to be another classic from Issey Miyake and the ladies like it and that makes for a great combination.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Uhhh, how I hate hate hate this fragrance. It is perhaps the only fragrance that I absolutely detest. The worse thing is, this is one of those scents that say something very particular and peculiar about the person wearing it, which would be something like "I love bunnies, unicorns, rainbows, pink clouds, and I never ever wanna get old!!!" It smells like how a 10,000 calorie a day diet would smell like, if such thing exists.

I don't wanna offend anyone, but all the women I met wearing this one try to act like 12 year old schoolgirls, and be flirtatious with the men pretending that they are still the innocent little 'Lolita' that they once were. You know the type, the glittering pink lip gloss, slightly skimpy outfits, pink hair accessories with the cute little dog. It is a sickening scent, no depth, no mystery, no transformation, and so sticky that it would melt your skin just to exist. And there is no way escaping from it. The closest one I have met to this scent is Chopard's Wish, and even that is better. (and coincidentally, they are both blue bottles made of sharp prisms - one is a star, the other is a diamond)

All I am gonna say is, this scent does not suit anyone personality per se, but it sticks one on you, and not a mysterious or sexy one that one would expect, but rather a Paris Hilton-esque make-belief identity that is horrendous. Such a needy fragrance, and what's worse is that somehow it became such a hit, there are now millions of other even cheaper scents out there trying to imitate this monstrosity.

27 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2008)

Envy for Men by Gucci

I like this fragrance and always did. I don't get any smokiness though that people all talk about. It does not fell that dry, as one would expect from 'a modern Oriental' that people always refer this fragrance as. It is a sexy scent, and dares you to dream, but for how long, that is another question.

The thing is it has been so popular in the past decade, and still is, now it does not feel as special as it did before. Maybe they should come up with a heavier eau de parfum version or something. The ginger note, surprisingly well-handled here, is quite present, and maybe that balances the 'woodiness' of the scent so well, that it does not feel too dry to my nose. The scent tends to stay close to the skin, and feels like a very 'designer fragrance' with its whole wearing experience. Even though it is quite pleasant, one cannot help but thinking if it weren't for the 'Gucci' name, would this ever be this popular.

The drydown of the fragrance is the best part to me, because it is a truly unique transformation. I smell a lot of woods, but also a bit of amber here, in a sexy manner. It gets very warm after the drydown, and quite seductive. I would never describe this scent as dark. I suppose people around you could feel 'envy' if the fragrance actually made you feel over-confident and poised.

It just transforms well with the skin, and I daresay, I mostly find the scent to be quite fresh even though all the musk, amber and warmness to it.

I remember the advertising, and it was just too gorgeous and sexy. The bottle is so Tom Ford circa the Gucci days, it is sublime. Very modern and architectural, the black rectangular cap, and the prism that holds the juice display the emerald green color of the fragrance so beautifully. I mean, the name, the color, the bottle only enrich the whole experience and expectations.

Envy Man and Woman are the perfect husband and wife, or when you think of what Tom Ford would want them to be, 'sex buddies'. Feels perfect for Martini drenched nights and the morning afters. The only problem is that the couple have been on the headlines for so long know, I don't know if they are as exciting as they have been 5 or 6 years ago.

27 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2008)

Rush for Men by Gucci

I cannot believe to read all these negative reviews here: this fragrance is just perfection. So dry, yet so pleasant, incredibly sexy. I cannot count how many compliments I have received from wearing this. It is like the perfect aphrodisiac.

The most obvious note here is the cedarwood, which is nothing short of sublime. It is very very well-handled, and instead of balancing it with some flower or vanilla, they add even more wood layers on it, which makes the scent very ballsy. That is what I love about it, it goes all the way to the end with its woodsy/dry identity. The lavender, which I detect, is just there for fun, because it does not do anything for the fragrance other than the first spray of application.

I love this fragrance, so many good memories. Though, it is getting harder and harder to find it, I think it is being discontinued. gucci.com doesn't even list it anymore.. Such a loss if you ask me. It is hard to find a modern one note-type fragrance that smells sexy and young, yet light but complicated all at once, and to me that is what Rush has always been.

The bottle, which everybody hates, I absolutely love. It is a white block, very minimalistic, something that would come out from Japan if I didn't know it to be Gucci. It does look like a Apple computer gadget though: I'll give you that. I loved the advertising, and the feminine versions (Rush, Rush 2 for Woman) as well. They are seductive as this one, yet as well as any other Gucci release, became a little too popular for their own good.

One final note, the Rush series from Gucci were marketed towards a younger crowd when they first came out unlike Gucci pour Homme, or Gucci Eau de Parfum. Hence the plastic toy-like bottles, cheaper price tags, and bright colors. They were Gucci's answer to all the mindless and endless creations and releases from Emporio Armani. (Remember he/she, White he/she etc.) Marketed for a younger crowd, these scents attracted many young people to these brands who later became loyal customers after 5 or 6 years while getting a little older. That is why Rush doesn't feel as timeless as let's say Envy or pour Homme, because I suppose it was never meant to be.

27 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2009)

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

A friend of mine (a guy) is obsessed with it, and I must say, it suits him. Not to mention that the scent announces his arrival like 3 minutes before he enters the room, but it is a very heavy, woodsy, dark, and even maybe sexy (he is a guy, and a friend, I don't think I'll ever find him sexy even if he wears Gucci Eau de Parfum). It doesn't transform at all though, it is quite one note. But a good note at that.

TF promotes this scent as an unisex scent though it is quite masculine. And I enjoy women experimenting with mens scents since I do experiment with the women's juices quite frequently. It is not like a girl is going grow a penis by using a men's cologne, right?

Well, in terms of Oud Wood, you actually might.

Tom Ford tries hard to be the new olfactory god of this generation of perfumers and he has released this 'scent library' for everyone who is rich enough to buy. No gender specific. But from the first spray of this 'perfume', there is absolutely no doubt that THIS IS A MENS FRAGRANCE. There is nothing soft, feminine, or even slightly so, sparkling about it. It is quite masculine in every sense. I don't wanna offend any woman who is using this, but let's be realistic: If Samsara, or Shalimar are not men's fragrances, then this cannot be a woman's scent. I know girls who use m7, or even Chanel Pour Monsieur, even those are less gender specific than this.

It is a good cologne, but ladies, beware... It might be a bit too much for you even if you adore it from the first sniff - better test this for the boyfriend if you love the smell so much.

27 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2009)

lilkcceleb's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I sampled this scent at Perfume Pizzaz and I was hoping that I would find it to be sweet as many as others but I didn't. When I first smelled it, all I could smell was mint. So I sat it down and went back to it 5 minutes later and seen no difference (maybe because I had smelled so many scents and forgot to sniff the coffee beans). So I went back a week later and resampled it again and found the same smell, Mint. Maybe it was a bad bottle? I really wanted to but it but was thrown off from that smell. I may still purchase if I can get the sweet smell out of it.

chaoskitty's avatar

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

The bottle is very pretty, I love the cute plastic little flower. The scent is as dull as anything. It's not horrible, it's perfectly inoffensive and just so boring. On me it seems to skip the notes I'd most be interested in (Violet) and just smells lightly floral.
    I imagine it'd be great as an office fragrance if you happen to work with olfactory over-sensitive types, but to me it's too bland.

Maybe Baby by Benefit

I like this because it is unique, but still appropriate for any occasion. I love how refreshing it is when I first put it on, and then it dries down to something like ginger ale.

Ralph Hot by Ralph Lauren

The orange and vanilla in this reminds me of a dreamsicle (orange/cream popsicle). I like it and it is fun to wear, but I'm not really a foody scent person. It does bring up memories of summer and chasing down the ice cream truck :)

Princess by Vera Wang

This is so sweet and thick. I couldn't stand it. It doesn't feel mature, just sugar sugar sugar! I think the princess this is for works at Disney Land.

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

On me I can really pick out the watermelon and mandarin. I like how it is young and girly, but (used carefully) not oppresively sweet. I would use this for spring/summer.

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

Very flowery, feminine, classic, and soft scent.
    It is a Floral - Muguet type of perfume.
    The perfume Reminds me of flower gardens where flowers have not been picked up yet.
    My husband likes it.
    It is not bad at all, but it is just not my type.

Safari by Ralph Lauren

Very concentrated, intensive, and strong perfume.
    It is a Floral - Green type of perfume.
    Smells powdery, woody, and citrusy with leather, moss and green notes.
    There is something common between it and ‘English Leather’ perfume by Dana. I’m not sure which one of the above notes.
    My husband thinks it is good, I don’t (sorry). It is just too strong for me.
    For those who are sad that it is discontinued, you might find it in eBay at very expensive prices.

Very Sexy for Her by Victoria's Secret

It smells O.K. but not exciting for me.
    I rarely use it.
    My husband does not think it is special.
    Its not bad though.
    It smells quite different from other perfumes.
    It is simply not my type.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Fresh, cool and clean scent.
    It is an Aromatic - Rustic type of perfume.
    Smells, like lemon, mint, musk and other refreshing notes I cannot describe.
    I don’t know why, but it reminds me of shiny silver and waterfalls.
    My husband has it. I like it, but he does not think it is special.

Zut's avatar

Hai Karate by Leeming

In 1972, I won a bottle of this so-called "cologne" as a door prize at a dance. I tried it before I went to see a movie. The stench was so overpowering it gave me a severe headache and people sitting next to me kept moving away to another row after a short while. Quite humiliating... True story!

September 2011 update: Recently, I brought back home some of my belongings that I had left at my father's place when I took my first apartment in 1978 and I found my old (and virtually unused) bottle of Hai Karate. Oddly enough, I was rather pleasantly surprised. Of course, I would never wear this fragrance now because it is too "barbershoppy". However, I find the scent much less offensive than I originally thought. Maybe it has faded a little bit over the years. Anyway, it does remind me of some good times I had in the 70's. Just for that, I changed my rating from Thumbs down to Neutral.

27 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2011)

Casran by Chopard

I agree with PaulSC, it is also the first blind buy that I regret. The thing is, I am (as many other people on this board), use many fragrances at the same time, sometimes even layer them carefully to experiment. I tend to prefer dark and heavy orientals mostly, and I thought in my collection now I just needed something slightly lighter, a bit androgynous, and powdery that not that many people know of. So after reading the comments, Casran seemed like the perfect choice.

It is powdery alright, and something like-of-which I had never owned before. But I am disappointed with the lack of personality this scent unfortunately displays. Believe it or not, on my skin it smells a bit like Hypnotic Poison after a while (which I love as a woman's scent) yet it is synthetic in such a weird way. The opening is very weird, and the drydown is completely clueless. After the first 10 minutes, it settles into a lukewarm powdery feel, yet that one synthetic note is ever stagnant. The rum and chocolate I can smell pretty easily and benzoin is also present with the mix of the other two. At the end though, it is a dry vanilla scent that has absolutely no significant identity.

The thing is, it is very difficult to describe this scent, especially within a man's fragrance vocabulary. It is unique, yet I don't know if it is in a good way. I like it as something that I revisit once in a while in my over 20 fragrance collection, but a signature scent this will never be.

27 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2011)

abubakr_al-misky's avatar

Sultan by Swiss Arabian Perfumery

I have bought this twice. I really like this one, especially as EDP. Classic Arabic style, good in winter and summer, though ity is a warm scent. I wear this on my shirt and then put on a top note like rose to liven it up. I dont care for the package it comes in as it reminds me of a coffin.

abubakr_al-misky's avatar

Ambre by Madini

One gets the sense when smelling this attar that some fossilized sap was literally melted and put into a bottle. A little hard to wear on it's own, but wonderful when used in layering. I put a little on my neck and then spray on some L'instant, goes perfect. Very Unique.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre D'Hermes makes me think of the works of a certain writer/director/actor... a certain auteur... The late Coleman Francis. I'm thinking of such films as "Red Zone Cuba" and "Skydivers." These films are on a general level just terrible B-movies. They were made fun of in episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000. They were bad, yet compelling.

Even though these movies were by all accounts "bad", man there is just something about the starkness of these black and white films that just resonates with me. First of all they take place in the early '60's and most of the scenes are shot outdoors with the hapless "stars" jumping out of airplanes, driving around in rusty pickup trucks, hiding in drainpipes, assaulting sandy beaches, climbing up rocky crags, crawling through the dirt, digging for pitchblende... Even in the worst of these movies, there is just a glimpse of a simpler, better time than that of today's overstuffed blockbuster films. I don't know if the world of "Red Zone Cuba" ever existed, but man, I'd trade all the modern conveniences to sleep under the stars and pine trees in the America that Coleman Francis portrayed. Yes, I want to live in a 1963 B-movie.

Anyway, I wear Terre D'Hermes... and I feel like I've LIVED "Red Zone Cuba." I've crawled under barbed wire fences. I've stormed the beaches of Cuba (or was it Arizona?). I've climbed the mineral cliffs with a stiff breeze blowing through me. I've ducked hot lead. I've had my face buried for hours under the hood of a rusted out F-150 that I later sold for 35 bucks. I've eaten frog legs at Cliff Weismeyers place. I've gone out looking for pitchblende on Chasteen's property. I've run all the way to hell with nothing but a penny and a broken cigarette... OK, I'm poking a little fun at the movie.

BUT if you've seen "Red Zone Cuba"... it might make sense. Aside from the fleeting orange citrus note, I find Terre D'Hermes to be a very stark, no-nonsense black and white B-movie of a scent. And a manly one at that. The outdoors. Open Roads. Hills. Mountains. Rocks. Cedar forests. It does something very unique. It captures the outdoors and it does it without being green! It's the outdoors as seen in black and white. It manages to evoke rolling hills fo grass, but not green grass. Black and white grass! A grey sky with grey clouds, a sawtoothed black horizon that stretches far and relaxed.

I'm sure that Jean Claude Ellena has never seen "Red Zone Cuba"-- because if he had intended to create an homage to this film, coffee would be a central note. I digress. Anyway, regardless of what the auteurs Mr. Ellena and Mr. Francis intended to create, to me, what they captured a kind of beauty in quiet breezy blacks, whites, greys, slates, charcoals. But with that orange note like the sun on a cloudy cold day, as your collar flaps against your neck on the open range.

Masterful creation. It smells like an Ansel Adams photograph.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Vintage by John Varvatos

This has been one of my biggest turn-arounds. Initially I found it a confusing and uninspiring mix of Polo and Michael Jordan Cologne. Like an old-timer's chypre got mixed up with some calone infused Abercrombie brew. It was like looking AT a pair of 3-D glasses and wondering why the hell there is one blue lens and one red lens. Makes no sense. Then you put the glasses on, and everything jumps out at you in startling detail. That's what John Varvatos Vintage does with its "red" lens (the old school, warm mossy chypre) and its "blue" lens (the cool calone aquatic). The total effect is really good, once you've perceived it properly-- which is actually probably most difficult for scent aficionados, who are likely to see the juxtapositions as incongruities-- whereas your typical coworker, friend, date, etc. will only think "wow, that smells incredible."

There are a lot of things going on in this scent. I like the very dry tobacco notes-- very much like the smell of going into one of those historical general store type places where everything is antique and there are strings of dried herbs hanging to dry on clotheslines. Honestly, I don't even try to sit and figure out what all is in this one, because the overall result is just so evocative of sitting in an old study or drawing room-- though it's also somehow hip and modern. The snakeskin encircled bottle is a great touch.

This one is all about depth perception. Now that I view it the way I do, I can't imagine how off-base my initial thoughts on Vintage were. A top ten for me.

JaimeB's avatar

Soleil de Capri by Montale

Fresh citrus and white flowers with musk and spice in the base. This is a restorative on a warm day, and a very bright and optimistic scent. It doesn't pull any punches. If you're looking for a watery, well-behaved citrus floral, this isn't it. If you want to fly the flag, though, it's your baby! After it dries down, you can take it out for a walk.

Stu's avatar

Britto Man by Romero Britto

Whatever the notes are in this keep it far away from me. You can smell it coming down the street. There is something in it that truly repulses me and you know it fromf afar. It's a distinct, sweet, sickening smell that I can't tolerate. I smelled it too often when it first came out and luckily I don't smell it as often as I used too but when I do there is no mistaking this creation. Two thumbs WAY down.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Vibert's commentary on this fragrance is stellar! A masterpiece indeed, but let me interject....

I will never wear this scent. It is not at all what I wish to smell like. A thumbs up though, as it merits applause!