Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Zerby's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

My favorite out of the Chanel line. Even though I've never owned a bottle. I plan to have a bottle in my collection. I wouldn't say that this stuff is subtle. Makes me wish Christmas was in May. Perfect for Fall & Winter wear. I hope they never get rid of this stuff. UPDATE 11/10/09: I have since bought a Bottle & I love it!!!!!!!!!!!

28 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

zztopp's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

Top note : Mandarin, Neroli, Artemisia, Coriander
    Middle note : Cardamom, Pepper, Jasmine, Orris
    Base note : Cedarwood, Vetiver, Leather, Amber

What we have here is man-of-the-moment, scent-strip magic weaving and international perfume media hog JC Ellena emulating his idol E. Roudnitska by emulating the masters' venerable juice Eau D'Hermes. Declaration is more watery but the basic citrus-leather accord is present. Declarations opens with a pleasant juicy mandarin accord before slowly revealing an attractive spicy-peppery layer of notes softened by iris and jasmine - this is probably the juices' most appealing phase. 45 minutes laters, the slow march of the dutch-oven accord becomes more perceptible: hints of cedar with mighty sweaty cumin infused with light and smoky birch. The iris and jasmin soft palette is all but gone by this time, and depending on your skin, the cumin will bloom like a skunk in heat. I find the balance to be a bit off here...lengthening the iris-jasmin accord into the drydown would have provided some much needed relief against the fart attack.

Declaration is where it started it all .. you can smell the sparse signature Ellena accords: the pepper-cedar combo, the liberal use of cumin, the earthy tones...but nearly all of these accords now exist in better and more improved variations in the form of Ellena composed juices like Terre dHermes, Bigarade Concentree, etc. Declaration, at this point, serves nothing more than an Ellena fanboy trip down the memory lane, but for those who balk at Malle and Hermessence prices, thanks to Ellena's now repetitive and promiscuous use of signature accords Declaration is all they need to get their Ellena fix.

Rating: 7.0/10

TaoLady's avatar

Bazar Femme by Christian Lacroix

A really nice balance of citrus and apricot at the opening - dries to a slightly dusty, green iris. Girly girl without being excessively sweet or fruity - a lovely hot weather companion!

Strollyourlobster's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I'd love to smell this on an unwashed woman. Sorry, did I say that out loud?
    A balanced, comfortable woods composition, in the family of Hermes' masculine woods. I prefer it to Heritage because it has less treble, more understated use of amber and vanilla. Even well into drydown BdP retains some of the bitter wood that is the great lurking beast in Equipage. Why is there a great beast lurking in my carriage, you ask? I'll see about that, sir, and if I do get rid of the beast may I keep an unwashed woman?

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

WHAT?!?!? Are we all smelling the same frag here? All these reviews and no mention of Givenchy Pi?!? They are twins for crying out loud!, save for the FUBU Plush in the opening thru the middle of Arpege. Other than that...vanilla/tonka bean a la Givenchy Pi.
    And the mention of Burberry Touch? I am sorry, but like silk4ever, I don't so any correlation to Burberry Touch whatsoever. Mugler is on to something with the association with B*Men...just slightly though.
    Anyhoo...I have Touch and Pi, and Pi is the relative for sure, not Touch. Pi is very close...maybe too close. I'd skip it if you already have Pi.
    Dimitri is on point with the go-easy application as well.

odysseusm's avatar

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

I like this a lot. Herbal-pine scents are a favorite style for me, and this is a good treatment of that. There is an excellent aromatic opening of pine and artemesia (here spicy and tarragon-like) with other herbaceous notes. Very green, dry, and full-bodied with real appeal and vitality. A hint of cloves gives spicy-wood depth and a tangy quality. Lingering in the background is the whiff of burnt wood and ashes... the traitor is burning his bridges behind him. Then another tangy note emerges, a chord of patchouli and leather. Not excessive but certainly assertive. At times this chord reminds me of Christmas spices or an orange with spices stuck in it. This has good longevity and a very satisfying dry-down. It is similar to Yatagan. I’d characterize the two as follows. Eloge du Traitre has more pine and greener notes in the opening. The dusky and ashy notes are distinctive. The patchouli-leather notes are more pronounced. It is a more outdoorsy scent, a bit drier and more austere. Yatagan is beautiful in its 80’s old-school way. A smoother, richer green. More aromatic and darker, richer and more suave. Each scent is fantastic.

Parotte82's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Fumerie Turque is my favorite SL fragrance by far. The honey, hay, tabacco, and leather notes are blended beautifully. Whenever I wear this I just cant stop smelling myself. This is a great winter scent that I believe everyone should have in their collection.

Mr. G's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Véga by Guerlain

Véga is perhaps the most radiant of Jacques Guerlain's '1930's style' perfumes. Therefore, it's no surprise that it's named after one of the most luminous stars in the Sun's neighbourhood. Vega, the star, - also called Alpha Lyrae - is the brightest one in the Lyra-constellation, so immensely bright that it has served as the baseline for calibrating the photometric brightness scale. The perfume Véga was released in 1936 in the so-called 'inkwell bottle'. It never entered the classic range, but seventy years later, it was the first to be reissued in the 'Il Était Une Fois Guerlain' collection. Like Liu, it finds some inspiration in Chanel no. 5, but with a less conventionally feminine and flowery, and more oriental and woody, focus, and it also starts out brighter and more conspicuous with a shining citrus note. Compared to Liu, Vega feels more sharp, soapy and also sweet with a mix of ylang-ylang, rose and aldehyde, and one can sense how Vega might have inspired Jean-Paul Guerlain to make Chamade some thirty three years later - although the latter is a much greener scent. Véga's flower accords persist all the way through the perfume's evolution, but the sharpness is soon overtaken by a powdery oriental base of vanilla, sandalwood and rosewood. Like almost all of Jacques Guerlain's '1930's style' perfumes, it has an 'austere' aura - but like the star, it's the brightest of its sisters.

28 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 May, 2008)

lovelylavender's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal

This is my first contact with Annick Goutal's perfumes since it's not easy to get one of them here in Indonesia. Among what they have: Gardenia Passion, Passion, Eau de Charlotte, I pick this. This one make me fall in love instantly.

It is very simple, I realize. But this one also beautiful. Simple, flowery scent for everyday wear. I can imagine a simple girl, from small city, walking with flower print dress wear this one.

multitasker's avatar

Jacomo for Her by Jacomo

I bought this based entirely on a review at the Scented Salamander, to which I was directed from the musk hall of fame. I usually go out and sniff first, but I found this huge bottle on-line for about $18, including postage, and took a leap. The first wet whiff was cedar chest that grandma unfortunately felt the need to fill with mothballs--cedar, metalic, floral. Ick. It immediately gets better and then good. After 10 minutes, this becomes cedar, slightly salty, dried roses and light indistinguishable florals--that's what I get. It's very subtle, not at all sweet, and quite sophisticated. It's gone too quickly even when applied heavily. I smell nothing resembling musk--certainly not a cheerful musk like Narciso, but this is a so-called skin scent. While it lasts, it's quietly sexy.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Ah, the age old question. How would you like your salad, with lemon or Acqua di Gio on top?

This smells like a mush, made of melon, lemon and desperation. So generic and overused, it is sickening. Fratboy meets 'wanna-get-laid' tonight personality. Very very mass market. I think it is the male counterpart of Angel: two incredibly overrated, overused and one note, food-like smelling scents that make me wanna cringe.

And it is always the 'Angel girls' who find the 'Gio guys' attractive. It is not even fresh anymore, during summer days under the heat, it only brings out a sickeningly sweet aura of the base notes. Perfect for the American market though. And unfortunately, changed the face of men's fragrances forever, or at least all the summer releases/ Eau Fraiche editions of fragrances. Kinda sad.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I used this one with pleasure for a very long time. I liked everything about it: the fact that it was potent, had a character, the color of the juice, the surprising drydown... I just loved it. Especially surprising since Michael Kors, to me, is a sad personality in design. Just so tacky usual, yet his fragrance offering is nothing short of exceptional.

It has a maturity to it, I'll admit, but it is not boring or bland. The opening is heavy, I can detect bergamot almost instantly. Which is quite pleasant. As well as coriander, though I must say, the scent moves to its middle notes rather quickly, or that's how I felt. Suede, incence and tobacco can easily be detected right away. Which is nice, feels quite masculine, warm, familiar, and indisputably winter-y.

The most interesting part is the drydown though. this, to me, is a dry scent, yet the base notes do have a lot of sweet accords that make it unique. Usually in scents like this, the leather dryness dominates the base notes and that is the scent you get to stick with for the rest of the day. Not necessarily with Michael. Patchouli and plum make the scent slightly sweet and they stay with you for a long time. Yet the scent is still dry and masculine. It is quite odd actually, yet very pleasant.

I don't own a bottle now, yet I will pick one up for sure in the near future. The juice is a light orange-y amber/whiskey tone, and the cap looks like a blue/black marble block. Looks pretty chic in the bathroom. Timeless, and very New York. The scent, the bottle, and the whole experience.

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

This is one of my absolute favorite scents ever. It is so thick, and luxurious, utterly classy. Yet, I find it also very dark, and sexy. It is a definite oriental, slightly on the sweeter side. Every time I put it on, I feel like I should be walking around naked with heavy lidded bedroom eyes. It is, to me, that sexy. I do agree that it is a little cold, yet the skillful blend of spices with rich mandarin and bergamot is magical. It is a true elixir.

The opening is surprisingly loud and rich. It settles on the skin nicely. Anise is what makes the scent sweet I suppose, which you get to discover during the drydown. A little bit of woodiness is what anchors the scent to a mature ground. It is truly intersting, yet like I have said before, I find it to be very dark for some reason, with all the spiciness. I am quite happy with the longevity and sillage as well. Staying power, to me, is admirable.

If you enjoy heavy scents with strong personality like Opium, m7, Poison for women, Black Orchid etc., Must de Cartier pour Homme must be a great choice for you as well. It is skillfully blended, very classy, a true jeweler's fragrance. The bottle is fantastic and how the juice comes out of it is even better. (the heaviness of the spray cap just feels regal for some reason)

So soignee. Yet still wants to get laid.

28 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 February, 2010)

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

If you like and use this scent, guess what, you are making a statement about yourself, and perhaps a good one. It takes big balls to pull of something this sweet and dizzying. Everybody talks about the layers of this frag with the citrusy opening etc. I cannot even smell a hint of citrus in this one. The only thing I detect is vanilla, and more vanilla, and more vanilla, and more vanilla... It is truly sickening.

The woman 'who wants to rip the clothes off' the guy who wears it must be in desperate need of a vanilla overdose, or a 2,000 calorie dessert. The amber and musk notes are suffocating under the heavy drench of vanilla, that the frag never transforms, or moves on your skin, yet remains the same throughout the whole 12 hours (I swear, the longevity is very impressive, as it's with any synthetic vanilla scent).

I just don't like it. This was the frag that made me hate any type of vanilla scent for so long. It was definitely traumatizing. Since I have discovered Opium pour Homme, I like vanilla a lot more, yet I just think that this is not a well crafted scent. Not at all.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

I like the scent a lot, a nice blend of figs, a slight note of coconut, yet not creamy at all, a little bit of dry woods, and all blended together with a heavy, yet pleasant musky accord. Nice, original, yet doesn't tend to make the strongest statement. Good for days with a lighter mood.

One the other hand the lasting power is pitiful. I mean it is almost embarrassing. What am I supposed to do carry a handbag to put it in, so that I can reapply it again and again? I am sorry, I don't buy fragrances to smell and test them, I buy them to wear them. I demand staying power, even if it is an EdT. A good scent must stay on you at least 4 hours, and there are many great ones that do.

I am sick of these 'designers' who sometime in the past 5 years, decided that a mens fragrance is allowed to disappear from the skin after 15 minutes. It is the same with Tom Ford's last effort (note the sarcastic tone here.) Stays on you for just 15 minutes, then it you might as well spray Evian water: it is the same thing. Just because men don't tend to 'shop', but they only 'buy', does not mean that we don't demand quality, and utmost satisfaction. Look at houses like Chanel, Dior, Versace, Calvin Klein or YSL. All their fragrances have the longevity that I look for and enjoy.

Lovely scent, very poor staying power. What a pity. Especially from the great brand called Marc Jacobs.

Crystal Noir by Versace

Crystal Noir is dark and rich with textures and it is alive and poised. Elegant, yet somewhat naughty at the same time. It is not only dark, but original and dangerous.

It's power comes from the subtlety of the notes, and how they transform over the time. It is most certainly an evening fragrance, to dinner, and definitely to the bed later that night. It is kind of irresistible actually. The gardenia note is very apparent from the get-go. Although one would expect the scent to be very white-floral because of it, the heavy amber and musk notes at the base of the scent takes it to a very rich and darker caliber, and that's what makes it truly intoxicating to me. A well-balanced floral accord, enriched with a much lighter fruity blend (it feels like something tropical, or maybe figs??) arriving to the rich base - the base, that is heavy enough to carry all the white flowers at the top.

Lovely.

It feels slightly synthetic, but in a good way, like Gucci Eau de Parfum or Prada. In fact, I think this is Versace's answer to Gucci Eau de Parfum, since both were definitely created for the same woman. I feel if Versace had promoted its fragrances as well as Gucci, D&G or Chanel always do, this could easily be among the great and most popular dark florals out there. Yet I guess all is well, since not that many people know about it and that makes it more special. I am a guy, and along with Black Orchid, I wear this as well. Not too much though, sparingly... It feels nice on my skin: I especially enjoy the amber notes on me. Sometimes, I layer it with some Guerlain Vetiver, or a little bit of Gucci Pour Homme, and it instantly becomes a dark and dry masculine scent. So many compliments from both sexes, because it just feels sexy.

Finally, I still remember the great advertising for this fragrance with the model Isabeli Fontana lying on the floor with two male models looking quite dazed because of the smell I assume. I get the concept, because this scent makes me feel like that as well. It is multifaceted and sparkling like its name. And it is, by far, the greatest, chicest, and most dangerous looking fragrance bottle I have ever seen in my life.

I wish it were truly cut-crystal from the cap to the bottle itself. (the cap is plastic) Then it would be a true piece of sculptural art.

28 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2009)

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I used both Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense(I don't think this one is being sold in the US at the moment), and let me tell you I love them both. So sophisticated and gentleman-like. It is for the guy who doesn't care what others would think of him necessarily, yet still wants to make a bold and significant statement about himself. It is not one of those Acqua di Gio/D&G Light Blue clones out there: it is quite unique.

Heavy iris, and lavender notes at the top, slightly feminine for an opening, I'll admit. Yet the gorgeous green vetiver balances it so perfectly, that it turns into a dry, airy, at the same time, intriguing scent. Iris is very strong, so it is not for the faint of heart. It was unlike anything I smelt before, so I had to have it. One must be confident with his sexuality with this one. But there is absolutely no way this could be a woman's fragrance anyways: vetiver is too strong to my nose for it to ever be one. Dior Homme Intense feels slightly more powdery, and with heavier lavender notes all around this time. But they are pretty much the same scent, as they should be.

Not only is it unique, but also very elegant and refined. Women go crazy for it, yet it is not just that. I know many guys who feel very comfortable wearing it. It completely surrounds your body, gives it a warm dryness, and dangerously extravagant flower notes. I will say though, it is more suitable for a younger crowd. Must test before buying, yet with a scent this unique, I wonder why one would have any doubts.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I adore this scent. I love everything about it: the opening, how thick and syrupy the scent presents itself, how it sticks on your skin and totally transforms into something unique.

It is an unmistakably heavy scent, and I can detect it anywhere I go when someone wears it. On the elevator, at a club, outside, no matter how crowded the place is, you can always feel if Black Orchid is present. Like I said, it is very thick. That being said, the scent on my skin doesn't remain too sweet, as many people complain about the fragrance. It transforms something quite spicy, and erotic. It is very dark. The black currant note is quite heavy in the opening, and I can also detect some bergamot, which gives it a very very slight citrusy note to my nose. I never had the chance to smell a pure ' black truffle note' as a scent, so I don't know what that smells like in particular, yet that anonymous note that hits my nose along with deep woods and heavy flowers can be the truffle in question, I suppose.

The most gorgeous state of the fragrance is the drydown though, it is almost cruel to the nose. It is so seductive and erotic. I claim there have been few scents that could handle vanilla this well. It settles into something warm, familiar, close to skin, and very hazy. Yes, it is sweet, make no mistake, yet it is a very sophisticated, well-thought-out 'sweet'. It is not 'delicious' like Lolita Lemplicka, Chopard Wish, or that monstrosity called Angel and the masculine versions of all those which I have listed. Black Orchid doesn't smell like food, nor desert.

I love this scent, it is a gorgeous creation from top to finish. I reckon it will always be a part of my fragrance collection. It is not just the fragrance that is unique, it is the whole experience. I feel like the great sultans or princesses of Arabia, or geishas of Japan must have smelt like this. It is an ultimate elixir. In general I love Tom Ford's creations, yet this is the first scent since his unmatched YSL m7 that I have been this excited about. He really shines in creating dark scents with flower-y accords and wood-y accents. Not only the scents, but also the bottles and packaging are also always gorgeous. The Black Orchid bottle, captivating like every fragrance bottle he designed, is maybe on the masculine side, yet also very user friendly. You can carry it anywhere, and it doesn't 'age' with time, look tarnished and all. Being skinny and curved, the bottle looks decadent and very soignee. It is onyx black with a gold plate on top, proclaiming the mysterious name. First I thought 'Black Orchid' was a tacky name, but now I am kind of used to it.

If you want a unique experience, you must test this scent. Whether you like it or not, you WILL have some sort of an opinion about the scent, which makes this a very special creation. It has an identity, and it sparks up discussion, because it is very different. Must test before buying though, unless you are buying it only for the gorgeous bottle, which would still be a justifiable purchase.

28 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 August, 2009)

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

After creating such phenomenal scents like Gucci Eau de Parfum, Eau de Parfum II, YSL m7, Gucci Pour Homme, the Rush and Envy series, YSL Nu, and finally Black Orchid and Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, I don't know why the genius called Tom Ford had to be this cruel to the single fragrance that bears his own name. There is absolutely no ambition, story or mystery to this fragrance what-so-ever.

Yes, it is a great scent, I agree. Yes, it is very well-made, I know. Yes, it is nice and safe, yet unique and stands out in an army of oceanic/citrusy mediocre releases that overcrowd the fragrance display areas all around the world. But all the nice things kind of end there. It is not a home-run, groundbreaking, brave, sparking up discussion, the urge to go and have sex etc. sort of fragrance. And those are the emotions that I am so used to feeling after applying Tom Ford creations. The opening is light, like his website also mentions with a heavy layer of lemon. It is safe, comforting and clean. I get the bergamot, mandarin and maybe a little basil, yet there is absolutely no traces of violet, or ginger in this. Then I get more citrus, slight amber and a warm base of woods.

That is it, the end all/be all of this scent. It is not layered, yet comfortable enough to wear everyday right?

WRONG!

The scent disappears after 15 minutes. I swear that is how long it takes, even if you empty the whole bottle. Where is the Black Orchid or Gucci Pour Homme longevity? How am I supposed to wear a fragrance everyday when it disappears after only two minutes? It is very inconsiderate, to my taste. It is almost like saying, "this is my cheapest fragrance, so this is what you get in return: reapply like every two minutes". The bottle is chic as usual, and we all know the controversial ad images, but this is his first release I am not entirely happy about.

L'homme vert's avatar

Le Dix by Balenciaga

I recently purchased a vintage 3 fl.oz flacon of Le Dix Parfum that is still sealed with black silk chord and a waxy membrane surrounding the stopper finial & bottle lip. About one third of this gorgeous 'juice' has been lost due to natural evaporation. Housed in original coffret with the flacon sitting snugly in it's raised presentation dais. Most impressive indeed ! I imagine it's now more 'Extract' than 'Parfum'.
    My memory of this fragrance is permanently seared into my olfactory hard-drive as this perfume was worn by my beloved Grandmother for as long as I can recall.
    The bottle always fascinated me with it's umbrella shaped stopper & the way light would refract through the highly polished chiseled panels of the base.

For me this delicious perfume connects me to the past evoking childhood memories of freshly made strawberry sorbet, lemon meringue and my Grandfather's lovingly tended rose gardens hedged by ferns and soft velvety mosses.
    The integrity of this liquid gold is perfectly intact as a smudge of evaporated 'jus' from just under the stopper held for a good twelve hours without aberration on my skin.
    The dry-down is completely seamless, a symphony of Hesperides, lush Florals, rare Resins and now obselete Nitro-musks.
    Magnificent !
    The only concentration presently available is in the form of the
    Eau de Toilette ?
    Le Dix endures !

Merci' . . Monsieur Balenciaga !

28 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2010)

wsr93's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Prada is well known for playing cruel jokes on her customers. This is one of the worst. There is nothing "amber" about this. All of the notes this supposedly contains form one big, unidentifiable cacophony that most closely resembles a cheap aerosol hairspray. Sharp, pungent, and lasts entirely too long. At least it's not terribly expensive.

Jemimagold's avatar

Rumba by Ted Lapidus

I was astonished to learn that Rumba was created by Jean-Claude Ellena as it is in NO WAY representative of the sheer, elegant fragrances that I associate with his minimalist, subtle style (eg. Bvlgari's Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert, Hermés' Un Jardin Sur Nil, Frederic Malle's Bigarade Concentree and L'Eau d'Hiver, the Hermessence line, etc..).

Rumba is a loud voluptuous floral animalic oriental perfume that smells like one of those cheap air fresheners that dangle from a rearview mirror. As if all that cacaphony weren't enough, the drydown is reminiscent of a poor quality "incense cone". One way to think of Rumba is to imagine her and her cousin, Giorgio, noisily chewing gum, walking around in designer jumpsuits with metallic high heels, big hair and lots of jewelry.

Mr. Ellena- Please tell me what possessed you to make this??

Noraed's avatar

Boss Spirit by Hugo Boss

A good, strong, deep, woody, leathery, and old fashioned smelling perfume.
    It is a Woody - Chypre type of perfume.
    There is a strong scent of lavender, wood, leather, and lots of green notes. Perhaps there is some scent of citrus as well.
    More wearable on men than boys.
    I don’t think it’s bad, but it’s not my type.

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

one of my fav's. perry remakes classics this and 360 white at an affordable price in a messed up society. why pay 50 for armani when you can save yoursel at least half of that?

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

very well done graasy and slightly sitrus scent. longevity is an issue but an overall good scent. price is a bit much for it's lack of power.

Dunhill Pure by Dunhill

oceanic and clean. this is what creed's erolfa should have been. to bad it came out along with pursuit. dunhill, why bring out two fragrances at the same time? anyway not your normal aquatic scent and worth owning definately

360 Degrees Black For Men by Perry Ellis

i am not a fan of bvlgari black or this. perry's worst remake since 360 blue.

Atabey1877's avatar

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

At first i thought this perfume was not to my liking but i started smelling it on other people and i loved it.
    I took a leap of faith and gave it a try. I am truly in love with this fragrance. When i wear this fragrance people compliment me all the time and cannot believe it when i tell them what i am wearing. I really think this is a unique fragrance and for those of you out there who originally were not that crazy about it, i suggest that you give it a second smell and see where it takes you.

Nathan214's avatar

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

I'm a hands-down fan of this fragrance. I've never tried out the original Angel Men, so can't compare the two, but this Pure Coffee version is like distilled joy in a bottle.

It starts off with a whiff of dry woodsmoke, but then immediately stampedes into rich burnt coffee and vanilla interwoven with various notes of chocolate, from bitter to dark to sweetly milky. It fades in and out all day. I'll be typing on my laptop and suddenly the most wonderful aromas of burnt sugar, espresso and steamed milk will waft into my senses and I'll think, "Hey -- what smells so good? Oh, it's ME!"

It's nowhere near being green, or animalic, or anything resembling a traditional masculine. It's a rich gourmand scent that's like taking a blowtorch to a bucket of dark creme de cacao, and it's probably one of the few fragrances you could actually wear to a restaurant without disturbing the surrounding diners.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I like this fragrance-a lot. It is one of the new releases that I am excited to discover, because it is quite different. I also get a strong melon opening with this, yet something in it also reminds of of the great Bulgari pour Homme. They don't smell that similar, yet they both have something smooth and suave to their progression. And am I crazy to smell a little Oud wood in this? I guess I am just imagining that note since it is not listed, yet it feels that there is a strong underlying note of woodsy base in this. I think it is slightly dangerous because of the musk, but still very smooth as well.

So the part that sparks up many heated discussions: too much violet? I think not! It is sexy, and yes, if the scent had color it would be a deep purple, but it is not an annoying bouquet of heavy violets here. It is handled beautifully. Drydown displays a lot of character: the rich, deep beauty of all the ingredients. I also like the fact that the scent stole all the best parts of his older sister, the ever-so-popular NR for her, which I think smells a little like an old women's fragrance on the wrong person, but that's just me.

PS: This frag does not deserve this much sheer hate and abuse. After reading some those incredibly and indescribably cruel reviews, I am thinking people who wrote them must be off their meds. There is nothing in this that should arouse this much loathing. It is bold, unique and sexy as hell. Violets with slightly dirty yet rich musk? Made for men?

What's there to hate?

If you're the type who goes for the usual Acqua di Gio substitute, then yeah, you'll hate this. But it is an amazingly brave creation for a mass market release since I happen to die for dark violets and carnal musk.

28 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2011)