Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

H.M. by Hanae Mori

Wore this stuff out of a sample atomizer today at work, and I couldn’t quite place what I was smelling right at first, though it was hitting me right in the face. It occured to me later that it is in fact a gourmand along the lines of A*Men, or possibly Armani Code. Where it differs from those two is the addition of citrus overtones, and some woods in the base make this an amazingly complex fragrance, especially for a gourmand. Think a toned down Gucci 1 or M7 without the bite, and the lush chocolate-vanilla notes of A*Men, and add the tiniest splash of Clinique Happy’s sweet orange notes, and you’re getting close to Hanae Mori HM. Very sophisticated, very classy for what it is.

Still, while I’ve got both A*Men and Code in my wardrobe, I really can’t be bothered to buy another gourmand, even one as nice as this. When I run out, though, it’s a whole different story. If you don’t have a gourmand in your lineup I recommend this sincerely.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I have a confession to make. I like women’s perfume. Well, just one. Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue Pour Femme. Of course, they also make a Pour Homme version, but it’s a bunch of crap. The women’s version is definitely unisex, damn whatever their marketing department says.

I was considering buying it. That is, buy a women’s perfume for myself. Thanks to Versace Man Eau Fraiche I won’t have to because it’s the same stuff in a different bottle.

Why am I finding myself commenting on blatant rips as of late? That aside, the stuff really is good as a fresh scent, which I’m normally bored to tears over. It’s clean, slightly fruity with melon, citrus, and berry notes throughout, set on a base of amber and musk. I’d almost say there’s some light woods in there, but if there are it’s not a main part of the composition. That said, those top notes are present throughout, even when you’d rather they go away.

Sillage is good, longevity is fair to good, I get about the standard 6 hours and then it’s faded to something pretty much unrecognizable. Still, if fresh scents are your thing and you want one that’s…*cough* unique, check this one out.

Usher for Men by Usher

Let me say before I go any further that I remain steadfastly neutral with regards to celebrity perfumes. I think equating a complex fragrance with many ingredients to one particular person is pretty much dumb. I own Sean John Unforgivable on the merits of it being an excellent fragrance, and honestly don’t give a damn if it was made for Sean Combs or Sean Connery.

Gratuitously lifting the notes from K over at Now Smell This, Usher He features pineapple, verbena, melon, white pepper, lavender, violet leaf, vetiver, amber wood, black suede, sandalwood, guaiac wood and musk. Upon applying, all I could smell was slightly overripe melon a la Paris Hilton for Men. The drydown was a chemical mess, but I got a little glimmer of where they were trying to take this, and that was to copy Creed Himalaya. Of course, I’m not against this; Unforgivable is virtually identical to Creed Millesime Imperial and I have no problem wearing it (and saving mad bank, to boot). The problem is that they didn’t put the effort into the copy that Sean John did. I get the pepper, and the vetiver/musk duo, but that’s really all that I can pick out, everything else is just a blob of scent.

Color me unimpressed.

Mokkie's avatar

Drakkar Dynamik by Guy Laroche

My comment is actually shorter than Ken Russell, it ended in the bin very quickly.

lizzie_j's avatar

Silk by Jalaine

I love this juice. It comes in a perfume oil and is quite pricey, but I think it's worth every penny. First off, the cut glass bottle is just gorgous, and once purchased, you can order refills for much less than the original bottle. The scent itself is very strong on my skin. A drop or two is all that I need to use. This is a sweet amber mixed with vanilla and "marine notes." I'm not sure what those synthetic notes are but they add a citrusy edginess to the otherwise soft as pashmina mix of amber/vanilla. To my nose there isn't much development, except that the dry down focuses primarily on what has now become amber/vanilla velvet on your skin. Yum.

everso's avatar

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

this is an amazing scent. ultra creamy and musky at the same time. never smells synthetic...and ALWAYS smells different depending on the mood. I love CUIRON by them as well....BUT i think this is the easier scent to wear on a daily basis. I wear this probably more than any other fragrance in my collection, and i never get tired of it. great stuff.

everso's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

a stone cold classic. just bought a bottle of this today. the last time i'd smelled it was when i had a tiny sample when i was 12 years old. I got re-interested in this after i smelled Bond No. 9's "Great Jones"....which is an EXACT (i mean really really exact) copy of Paco Rabanne PH.

To me, this smells like an underground indie rock and roll show. I don't get all the reviews about lavender and floral, and blah blah blah....to me, this smells like petrol, musk, and a rubber/leather compound. It really glows and lasts forever. I can sense its presence at all times......

absolutely brilliant. completely masculine...with driving gloves, a leather helmet....aiming for the tight turns of an italian mountain road.

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

Well, my string of admiration for Diors had to end sometime, I guess, and Miss Dior was the proverbial straw. On the other hand, maybe I am just not able to understand its charms. Anyways, to me, Miss Dior smelled very powdery, oakmossy and ***ahem*** “old-fashioned” (I believe that is the politically correct term nowadays). As far as comparisons go, it is very similar to Ma Griffe but not as pleasant/interesting as Ivoire. Good sillage.

Eau de Rochas by Rochas

Eau de Rochas has long been one of my favorite Eau de Colognes. It starts off with clean, green, citrusy notes and then becomes slightly more grounded in the middle and base with the very slight addition of patchouli whilst keeping the citrus notes dominant. Eau de Rochas is something I could envision wearing poolside at the Eden Roc Hotel in the South of France, should I ever have the opportunity! Also, in case the thought of patchouli alarms any “light” fragrance lovers, let me just say that I am generally not a fan of patchouli but it is what make Eau de Rochas unique and gives it that touch of pizzazz.

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Lys Méditerranée is a beautiful olfactory essay on the lily. As reviewers here and elsewhere have noted, it smells like the rush you get when you open a florist’s cold refrigerator full of fresh white lilies and stick your head for a deep sniff. As the perfume develops, it becomes slightly tempered with a touch of a “green stalk” note but regardless, the lily note always stays true and clear. For comparison purposes, I also tried Serge Lutens’ “Un Lys” on the other wrist. It is a creamy warm lily whereas Lys Méditerranée is a cooler, slightly more shimmering lily. Last but not least, it has just the right amount of sillage.

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have rarely anticipated smelling a perfume as much as I did Borneo 1834. The idea of experiencing Lutens’ take on ancient spice markets and bazaars of old Borneo was irresistibly intriguing. Hoping for a dry-ish spicy chocolate fragrance, what I got instead was an intense smell of cheap fruity tobacco, eg. the loose kind that gets packed in a hookah pipe. Borneo 1834 never let up for at least 4 hours and was, to be frank, annoying.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I have to be honest, I tried Carnal Flower on two separate occasions at the Frederic Malle store (in their “smelling cabine”, no less) and did not find it to be anything special. Then I spoke with a friend who worships Carnal Flower and upon finding out that I had only smelled it in the air and on a paper strip, she made me promise to smell it on my skin and to that end, kindly sent me a sample. Well, mea culpa. Carnal Flower is exquisite and lives up to all of the accolades it receives.

The funny thing is that while I “know” it is tuberose, it does not smell like the tuberose I thought I knew. Normally I find tuberose to be a bit offputting in a heavy/overpowering way. Carnal Flower, however, was refreshing and absolutely beautiful. Whilst sniffing, its shimmering beauty reminded me very much of its sister, Lys Méditerranée. In fact, I dare to say that Carnal Flower is the tuberose version of Lys Méditerranée but with a dollop of that white musk/“Coppertone sun tan lotion” smell thrown in for comfort. In any event, I am a happy convert to the shrine of Carnal Flower!

Tabac Blond by Caron

Top- Leather -- Middle-Leather -- Base - Leather/smoke. Nothing really that softens -- amber will just intensify -- this is the edp version. I think you would need to walk through a mist of it to make it tolerable. I can appreciate the innovativeness, but is really much too potent for me and as stated, very linear.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Rose thief is actually an apt name -- I can't detect a rose scent anywhere. Smells a bit like damp earth though -- if that's what you like. Try Costes or Rossy de Palma for better results re rose. Hugely disappointing.

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Lovely blackberry and musk combination, which is so gentle and precious. I find it quite acceptable for a man to wear. Lasts all day, but sillage is quite low. I should have gone for the extreme version as it is totally enchanting.

lalalali's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This fragrance is so unique. It is soft but spicy in the same time. My Swiss exboyfriend was wearing it and anytime i smell it reminds me of him. He was sexy, charismatic, charming, sometimes tender and sometimes wild, exactly as this fragrance.
    Last time i smeled it few days ago on one Italian man...when i looked at him i thought hmm, he is handsome but when i smell the cologne i thought oh...he is soooo sexy.
    I understand the girl in Critic´s review...this fragrance also turns me on:-)

Noraed's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

Very refreshing, stylish, light, and fruity perfume.
    Smells like grapefruit at the beginning then it smells like apple with a little watermelon scent, but mostly cucumber.
    It is a Chypre - Floral type of perfume.
    It reminds me of ‘moonflower’ by The Body Shop as it also has refreshing, light, and fruity scent as well as the scent of cucumber and watermelon.
    ‘Be Delicious’ brings the beautiful scent of apple, cucumber and many other fruity scents together, resulting an enjoyable combination of fruity scent.
    Suitable to wear during the summer.

Tony T's avatar

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

great old school scent. classic,rich and a wonder to the nose.only 3 haters here and i wonder why

depmodal's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

Sorry, but after drydown all I was left was a strong soapy perfumy headache.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

This is a violet leaf disaster.

It smells like a five year old made a taco out of grass and banana peels.

EDIT: I stand by my original review, but for some strange reason, I love this stuff now. It can be weird and difficult, but so unique and there are times when nothing else will do.

29th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th June, 2011)

david's avatar

France France

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

The most beautiful perfume ever created.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Magnolia by Yves Rocher

Yet another female scent by Yves Rocher that smells very exclusively and will not age. For all the fans of classic florals outhere, this one is surely worth at least considering, even to become a long-term investment at an affordable rate. Three keywords come to my mind when i think about this one: clean, white and distinguished.

maltatude's avatar

Forever and Ever Dior by Christian Dior

I love this perfume! Sweet, fruity floral but put together beautifully. It smells like a juicy, delicious rose mixed with other pretty things. I actually smelt this perfume on a girl on the bus but didn't ask her what it was - I assumed it would be a Christian Dior fragrance and I was right thankfully. Otherwise I could be without my favourite perfume in my collection right now.

For those that find rose notes overpowering, Forever and Ever has managed to avoid including the punged whoa factor in that note. The rest of the notes come together beautifully. This is not some deep, heady fragrance with white flowers and dryness - it's sweet, juicy, pretty but in my opinion still retains sophistication.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Do you know Signor Armani,
    Sophisticated citrus swami?
    With herbs and spices subtly blent
    He makes a most superior scent.
    If you crave olfactory orgies
    There's nothing quite like Gorgeous Georgie's!

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Well, here we are, messieurs, in the Platonic Essence of Laundry. And very fine it is too: clean, crisp, fresh, smooth, white and pure. After the initial burst of freshness, you might be forgiven for thinking that it has faded into insignificance. But, believe you me, all those around you will be thinking: "What an excellent fellow! How clean he smells! Surely we should invite him home!"

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

The fairy glade at midnight. Rustle of ivy leaves. Under pallid moonbeams, the Prince of Elves (an enchanting, mysterious fellow) meets the Goblin King (grotesque, sickly, and slightly mad). It is not clear whether they will attack each other or embrace each other. The tension is real, even if it is all a rather too conscious exercise in eccentricity. A touch disgusting, let the strange revels begin! (de Charlus)

Nobile by Gucci

Clean, aristocratic, and somewhat mysterious. Perhaps it is the rose interfused with the lemon that gives it that ancient air. I am back with my ancestors, Duc de Laumes, Duc des Dunes, Damoiseau de Meringuez at the court of the Sun King at Versailles. Whispers of intrigue fill the corridors, murmurs of treason, sighs of romance, rumours of elevation or disgrace, promises, threats, despairs. And, pervading all in the busy and treacherous air, this beautiful scent hangs heavy and still in the royal afternoon. (de Charlus)

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

Dry, unique, abstract, elegant, elusive. It is almost metaphysical. Against a cool grey background, showers of silver, shadows of sweetness, and somehow, the mysterious smell of empty space. (de Charlus)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Tumulte by Christian Lacroix

This one's odd. The intensity of Tumulte is crazy...it is full speed ahead, at least for the first few hours! (Yep, this stuff lasts forever, in fact after 12 hours I can still detect it on my skin!) It comes off initially like hundreds of other fruity florals, yet it is strangely different. I cannot distinguish the individual notes, but likewise cannot compliment on the blending or harmonizing of this juice. My senses are overwhelmed, maybe even leaving my nose feeling like it's been assaulted...ultimately, Tumulte receives a thumbs down. It is un-wearable, and unappreciated on my skin. (*I also asked my husband to give it a sniff...he wrinkled his nose at it.)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Belle en Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

What a sleeper! This fancy little frag is simply fab! Heliotrope here gives Belle en Rykiel an uplifting, open/airy feel. Perfectly complimenting the rich base ~ which is reminiscent of Obsession, in a lighter and brighter way! When I sampled this one, my husband got a whiff and said, "Ooooh, what's that?!" He's not one to comment on fragrance unless his opinion is asked for....so I give Belle en Rykiel top honors for getting, and keeping, his attention! Thumbs up!