Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

jenson's avatar

India India

Man.Aubusson by Aubusson

its a balant Rip off of Nikos Sculpture. go for the original. just coz its s rip off, i would give it a thumbs down...

lizzie_j's avatar

Baraja by Acqua di Biella

Refreshing citrus and and very prominent scent of TIDE laundry detergent. Not my favorite accord, but funny enough, my kids LOVE it! Lasting power is medium, sillage is fairly low on me. Not a favorite, but not awful in the least, and I can imagine that on some skin there would be much less TIDE, much more refreshing and clean citrus.

30th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2008)

argus wishingwell's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

green leaves of geranium give the earthy note to terre d' hermes. if you lean and smell the geranium leaves, you can easily notice the natural, fresh "after rain" earth smell. perfect...

Rouge Hermès by Hermès

Hermes Rouge is a very ladylike perfume that belongs to the floral-oriental family. The most identifiable notes are powder, rose, sandalwood and myrrh.

Hermes Rouge is not an immediately accessible floral in the way that Serge Lutens' Lys Med is, for example. Rather, Hermes Rouge is a fragrance for someone who enjoys a touch of formality and glamor, and who has the self-confidence to wear a perfume that is not necessarily the latest thing. It is also a fragrance better suited for the evening, most likely in the colder months. I would imagine that someone who likes Caron's Parfum Sacre (or that old discontinued Ralph Lauren favorite "Tuxedo") would appreciate and enjoy Hermes Rouge. Overall, the best way that I can describe Hermes Rouge is to ask you to imagine burying your nose in the most luxurious scented old-school powder puff. That sensation of delicate softness is what this perfume imparts to my nose.

30th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 May, 2008)

Enjoy by Jean Patou

Enjoy is a light floral perfume with a hint of amber, patchouli and *I think* grapefruit. It has the same warm smell as its tomboy sister, Eau de Patou, but none of the rosy lushness that characterizes its girly sister, Joy. Enjoy is perfectly pleasant but while sniffing and re-sniffing, I kept thinking that it just lacked the vivacity and punch that one gets in say, Robert Piguet's Visa. A final thought I had when smelling Enjoy is that given its drydown to basenotes of patchouli, musk and amber, Enjoy might be better suited for a man. Good luck, though, trying to get your he-man husband/boyfriend past the girly purple color of the juice!

30th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 May, 2008)

Love In White by Creed

Love in White is one of my very favorite perfumes – who cares that Luca Turin trashed it in his recent perfume book! He also ridicules Creed's packaging overall which I find rather odd. I think this bottle in particular, with its opaque whiteness, etched feathers and silver bow, is quite stylish.

With Love in White, I initially notice a mélange of orange flowers, almond and musk. After about 20 minutes, notes of sandalwood, vanilla and white flowers begin to appear in a soft well-blended way. The sandalwood and vanilla notes make this into an especially calming and comforting fragrance. In conclusion, Love in White is a soft, elegant fragrance that smells expensive and classy, in an understated way.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Virgin Island Water opens up with a zesty, sparkling lime note and then coconut, musk and rum start to appear and mingle, which create a sheer tropical fragrance. It is clear that very high quality ingredients were used to create this as it definitely has an “expensive” smell about it. Virgin Island Water would be perfect to wear pool-side at the Hotel Guanahani in St. Barts. It is casual yet quite chic.

Roses Musk by Montale

Roses Musk is a very high pitched rose/raspberry/musk perfume that I liked at first but then its intensity and endless sillage started to bother me. It is also a perfume that “wears the wearer”, rather than the other way around.

Kaern's avatar

Acier Aluminium by Creed

Oh Great -- lasts about 2 hours on me, which is par for this House (something should be said), but in this case I'm really pleased because it's a horrible mess -- case closed.

Kaern

Noraed's avatar

Desnuda by Ungaro

Very classic and old fashioned perfume.
    It is an Oriental - Floral type of perfume.
    Has noticeable flowery scent.
    Smells very familiar, as many people used to wear it or something similar to it, back in my childhood.
    Personally I find it boring, as I tend to look for perfumes that standout and are unique.
    This one is discontinued, probably because it is out of fashion, which is why, I wouldn’t recommend it for those who are looking for a modern perfume.

illyria's avatar

Winter 1972 by CB I Hate Perfume

This starts with a blast of cold, sinus-scouring 'earthiness' - like a cross between powdered household cleanser and the sneeze-inducing result of opening a package of forgotten, uber-mouldy bread. It certainly gave me an impression of winter, though
    I disliked this top note so much that I almost scrubbed. But I decided to give it a chance.
    Soon enough, the blast faded to a murmur, and a warm middle note came out to play. I have no idea what it is - I don't know too many notes - but it's lovely. Not foody, more floral, but not indolic. I can't place it. It's a comforting, close to the skin scent. It was worth my braving the opening 'blast' to get to it.
    I only have a small sample of this - if I try it a few more times, I may even decide it's bottle-worthy.

J.B. Grenouilleis's avatar

France France

Vetiver by Guerlain

I recently bought this classic fragrance. It was a blind buy based on the list of notes combined in this extroordinary fragrance. Guerlain's Vetiver is different to all my other fragrances. It is complex and changes from fresh, green, citrussy top notes to earthy vetiver, leather, and tobacco as well powdery and soapy notes on the dry down when to me it smells less like "old man" but more like baby powder - sort of lavenderish. Still, it does not smell soft or flat but strong and lasting with character. Even my fiancee likes the fragrance, although she usually does not like earthy fragrances, especially patchouli. Because of the contrast between the top and the base notes, this fragrance is very interesting and unique. But I can perfectly imagine that this frangrance does not work on everybody. If Goutal's Duell suits you well, this fragrance might be the perfect choice for you.

RAINEYGIRL's avatar

Madeleine de Madeleine by Madeleine Mono

This has got to be the most wonderful fragrance that ever was! I have been using it since the early 80's and once you smell it you will never forget it. It lingers and smells more wonderful by the minute!!!