Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

lovelylavender's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Lauren Style by Ralph Lauren

Although it's listed as perfume for romantic moods, I don't think Style is romantic. It's not too girly or feminime. It's for a woman, smart, elegant, intellect. She's classy but not snobby. Really nice, but not my taste.

Runaway's avatar

Vietnam Vietnam

Armand Basi in Blue by Armand Basi

This scent seem with Tommy Boy!

micci's avatar

Kenya Kenya

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

Well, I consider my self a very modest critique but to be blunt this juice was/is a disappointment. Despite its blatant and pedestrian aqua-centric design this perfume has poor longevity. Don't get me wrong Blue label is wearable and quite the "Aqua marine" though too generic ....comparable to the Bvlgaris (aqva & Blu etc) and Polo blues of this world......unauthentic & characterless....
    Its a good entry level perfume for an experimenting young chap though.

micci's avatar

Kenya Kenya

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I was very impressed by Paco Rabanne Pour Home (See my review)......so when I spotted Black XS I decided to give it a try......Well I truly love the smell ;very creamy,a bit limy (opening notes) and rosy in a way thats fairly masculine. The only reason I will not give this perfume a thumbs up is due to its poor longevity; this I found to be Black XS' Achilles heel.... BUT otherwise the fragrance itself is delightful....really sexy and youthful.

jathanas's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

D & G has a magic sillage. It isn't a heavy fragrance but the sweet tobacco dry-down puts it apart from today's fresh clones. The opening is unique, yes just a sweet citrus, but unlike anything else before and since. GIGANTIC - 2 thumbs fully erect :-)

04 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2008)

jathanas's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Use this on a summer day during a vacation? maybe. If I had to give one of my frags up this would be the first to go, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it at all...

lookingglass's avatar

Wild Musk by Coty

This was one of my first "bad girl" fragrances, and my grandmother wore it, too! I wore the oil (stunk up the whole house!) and my GM wore the EDT (nice and powdery, musky, and sweet). I could feel comfortable in this scent anywhere, as I do in many of my sassy granny's frags (Shalimar, Cinnibar, Chantilly). It reminds me of first discovering that I had sex appeal. It can be overt, like if I wear a lot of the oil, making me feel bawdy and flirtatious; or it can be soft and sensual, which is easier to accomplish with the EDT. I'm buying another bottle tomorrow!

lookingglass's avatar

Wild Musk by Coty

labrador's avatar

Germany Germany

J'ai Osé by J'ai Osé

Lovely perfume, notes of peach, jasmin, patchouli, with a drydown of amber, incense, moss, and cedarwood. A classic oriental amber fragrance.

dpak's avatar

Corduroy by Zirh

Warming, inviting spices (mainly cinnamon, with vanilla and nutmeg) with citrus to lighten it up a bit. Think a spice cake made with lemon and orange peels. Others have mentioned wood and lavender, but I don’t notice those notes. At first, I thought atrac was crazy mentioning CKOne, but there is a connection with the citrus. The juice isn't very strong - you may want to use a few extra spritzes - and it has little sillage.

Corduroy is the perfect name for this fragrance. It’s too casual for the office, and it won’t get you noticed in a crowd (in part because of the sillage). It isn’t complicated or sexy. Like the fabric, though, it is comfortable, comforting, and easy to wear.

Pecota's avatar

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

I picked this up blind at TJ Maxx for eight dollars, just because I heard good things about it. Unfortunately, when I wore it to work the next day, at lunch several people were wondering who took up smoking, because something "smelled like an ashtray". After that, I haven't really worn it out, just because of the negative response to the strong tobacco vibe.

It's a cheaper version of basically the same juice as Le Male, but if you didn't really like Le Male, don't go out of your way to find Cuba Gold.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Reflection Man by Amouage

I'm not one for floral fragrances, and I didn't think I could pull this one off but after reading Vilbert's review and getting a sample from parfumsraffy.com I couldn't resist the urge to get a bottle! Fell in love with the frag. and just had to have it...but I still wasn't sure I could pull it off. One night I felt adventurous and spritzed it on for a night out. All my friends, male and female alike commented on how nice and bright I smelled. Not an everyday scent for me, but it's something nice for special occasions in the summer months.

Oh btw this is one of those scents you have to spray in the air then walk through the mist, otherwise you get the mothball smelling note that supermarky's talking about

04 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2008)

chaoskitty's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I adore the smell of Hypnotic Poison. On me it smells like marzipan and vanilla, and is warm and comforting, yet sultry too. However, I can only wear it for a short while as it gives me the most awful frontal headache.

chaoskitty's avatar

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I'm rather jealous of all the reviewers who get to smell the roses in this. I don't. What I get on my skin, is the smell of the kind of spray you use to keep muggers away. It prickles my nose in a way I'm not terribly keen on, and gives me a headache. In the bottle and on the test strip it smells lovely though.

argus wishingwell's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

it absolutely smells like a sweety playdough. lapsang tea is the refresher in this fragrance i think. altough bulgari says it's unisex, it is a very masculin scent with notes of cigar smoke and rubber. at least my nose thinks like that. i love to wear it in the morning because the sweet yet sharp tea note makes me awake! thumbs up and a hoo-ray. the most original and the best in the bulgari collection.

Diorella by Christian Dior

I tried Diorella for the first time ever today. I have the current Diorella on one wrist and a vintage Diorella on the other. The current one seems a little more sparkly and light than the vintage one but otherwise they are clearly the same fragrance.

I love the lemony top note with just that right hint of bergamot. Too much bergamot and it starts smelling too "manly" for my tastes. Then it evolved into a lovely floral scent tinged with green and the current one lasted a decent amount of time (3-4 hours). The vintage maybe 2 hours.

When I first smelled iDiorella, I kept thinking of Cristalle. It has that same lovely "green" scent that Cristalle has but Diorella is w/o the fizziness that I associate with Cristalle. I don't get the Parfum de Therese comparison that others have suggested. PdT is a whole other animal to me.

I can see wearing this in NYC on a summer's day. You know, when you have to wear a "work outfit" but it is hot and you want to feel refreshed but sophisticated. This is the ticket!

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Bigarade Concentree is one of my top-five favorite perfumes but then I must disclose that I am a huge citrus fan! (Other citrus loves are: AG Eau d'Hadrien, Fath Green Water, Mona di Orio Lux, Fresh's "Sugar" (not Lemon Sugar) and Chanel Eau de Cologne). And, I am a huge JCE admirer. I first smelled Bigarade Concentree at the Editions de Frederic Malle store in Paris on the Left Bank on a cold November day and had to have it.

Yes- Bigarade Concentree smells like a pungent tangerine at first but then if you leave it on and smell it a little more, the cumin and cedar notes start to peek out and it then calms down into a luxurious, warm citrussy smell. I would love to smell it on a man - I think it would have such class, such as how Guerlain's Vetiver always smells perfect on a man to me.

In short, Bigarade Concentree is a superb fragrance and it never fails to make me happy or get me jump-started! Full bottle worthy - always.

Les Larmes Sacrées de Thebes by Baccarat

I had the fortunate experience to try a sample of this rare fragrance yesterday. Right at first, I caught a fragrant, billowing thyme note. Then, clove and carnation notes started coming through which reminded me of Caron's Bellodgia which I am not overly fond of. But then it softened into a beautiful twin of Parfum Sacre which I love. I plan to do a compare/contrast between the two sometime soon.

Thebes would be a wonderful fragrance to wear at Christmas-time. (Maybe it is the myrrh note that makes me think that??) Anyways, Les Larmes Sacrees de Thebes seems tailormade for very special occasions!

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

I had such high hopes for L'Air de Rien. Somewhere I read that it was a must-try and had "sweet and salty" notes which I found intriguing. Also, someone whose perfume opinions I really trust loves it so I was pumped and hoped that I was on my way to finding a new love.

Well, I've tried L'Air de Rien now on 2 separate occasions and this perfume does not love me. Nor do I love it. In fact, I had overwhelming visceral negative responses to it. On me, it was cloyingly sweet and overpowering. The musk-amber-oakmoss combo was not pleasant and within 5 minutes, I was at the kitchen sink trying to scrub it off my wrist with the kitchen abrasive pad and dish soap. Even with vigorous scrubbing, I kept smelling that sickly sweet musk-amber note and felt like it was following me around all day.

Amyitis by Mona di Orio

Well, well, well. This is gorgeous stuff. The notes were so well blended that I literally cannot describe it as anything other than bring creamy and having a a light woody fragrance. Amyitis was exquisite and long lasting. As of hour 5, it was still there (in a good way) and was like having a light cashmere blanket on my wrist.

I think this would be perfect to wear in the Fall on a Sunday afternoon, just as the leaves begin to turn and there is a new crispness in the air.

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Astonishing take on Jasmine -- sensual, heady and great sillage. It's a shame, but I don't think I could pull it off -- as it veers towards the feminine just too much.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Unnecessarily complicated -- too much going on with these spices -- it's trying too hard. A mess basically, but not altogether unpleasant if in the mood.

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Wonderful smooth sweet sandalwood -- the best take on it I have experienced and even better than Etro's Sandalo. The drydown is gorgeous -- enveloping you in an aura of vanilla, amber and wood -- almost magical. Sillage and longevity are excellent for me.

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It's said that people have no patience anymore, but I'm certainly not hanging around for this to settle down into something tolerable. Not a patch on Timbuktu, which is like honey compared to this furnace for the nose.

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

Can't escape the foetid note -- there's something rotten or rotting at the heart. If that was taken out it would be gorgeous. Exquisite Corpse.

blondex199667's avatar

Eau de Biarritz by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I like fragrances that don't smell like anything else, and the strong iodine top note is truly unique. It's a fresh, lush but not astringent scent that's probably better for a man than a woman.

bilaldh's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Denim Black by Denim

Yesterday,got the cologne as well , which is just ordinary stuff...The top notes are too spicy ,literally irritating the nose . The drydown is relatively better,somewhat like the aftershave (having a few sweater notes) ... overall,its good in its price-range

04 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 April, 2008)

ComDiva's avatar

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

En Passant, created by Olivia Giacobetti, is light and clear -- white lilacs smelled outdoors just after a rain, in a small town somewhere in Europe. I adore this fragrance. It's gentle without being weak in any way, and smells like promise and hope.

Sandy's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

An outstanding beautiful, fresh, mature scent. Marketed as unisex, for me rather on the masculine side. This is perhaps due to a certain barbershop-feeling, which however never gets sickening, like say at Prada PH.
    Longevity in itself is way better than average, especially for a citrusy scent.
    Perhaps the younger crowd would not be so enhusiastic, but if I were asked how should a decent gentleman of 48 years smell, my answer is this scent.

sniffy's avatar

Paul Smith for Men by Paul Smith

This might not be the most "interesting" of scents, but it is a good choice for daytime, especially if you work in an environment where a strong and noticeable fragrance might not be appropriate. After the drydown, it leaves a clean, soapy, just showered smell, not overpowering. I get a strong violet and musk impression. I can wear this on a hot summer day and still feel like I smell freshly showered at the end of the day.