Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Merlino's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Envy for Men by Gucci

Had a first full day wearing today. I really like woody oriental scents and I liked Envy. Contrary to what others have stated this fragrance had excellent sillage on me and I can still easily smell it on my arm 10 hours after application. But: I can't help being reminded of Bois du Portugal which I think is a better fragrance.

I give Envy a thumbs up for what it is, a good fragrance at a very affordable price. I won't be buying a bottle, though.

Envy for Men by Gucci

(deep voice) only for the men please. That is what this grag is speaking to me. It is a classic and i love it, smoky ish plus wood....very nice and yet not awfully ultra woody, have a hint of sweetness, mind you, the slightest, dont expect too much. All in all, love it!!!!

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Very unique, in my opinion, GOOD. Anyway, powdery for sure, but has a sweetness to it after. Very similar to Dior Homme and Fleur Du Male JPG. I love it but it does not stay as long to me as i would like it to, 4 hours max. Perhaps they should have Prada Intense soon!!!! That is how much i like it.

Echo by Davidoff

I have to say, this fragrance is rather "nasty", smells really cheap, sort of those you get at the $2 shop. As mentioned before, it is a mild frag but even so, it smells "nasty"...no go zone, mine actually ended up in the bin, didnt even have the guts to give it to a friend.

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

Smell nice enough, i like it but it last 30 minutes, and it is ALL gone. I guess why CK euphoria Intense is out, to phase out Euphoria. Honestly speaking, not worth the money, unless you want to use the whole bottle for 1 outing, re-applying every 30 minutes through out the day.
    Scent wise, nice, longevity wise, worth 2 cents...so sorry i have to have a thumbs down for this.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

yum yum yummo. This is the scent for the year i reckon. A bit on the expensive side but it is definitely worth the extra $30. Stay relatively long - 8 hours possible. The "powdery" scent does stick but it is not sickly overpowering type, just the subtle whiffing type. If you like this, should try JPG Fleur Du Male. Good Good!

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I love this frag. Opening is an inoffensive sweetness to it. Stick ok to the skin, doesnt last as long as i would like it to, about 4 hours. Needs a good spray, i use 6 - 10 sprays as it is nice....worth trying or buying, i did!!

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

They are bot joking when they put the word "light" on it, last about 2 hours tops and although the frag itself is nice, good for summer - citrus, the longevity is very disappointing. The thing is there is not a lot of citrus bast men frag out there, DG Light blue will do well, but it will not long before people go, not worth the money for its longevity.
    Neutral on this one.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

Oh, i love this! One of the best from Armani. The top note is the best, but it does not last that long. nevertheless, it is a good scent, similar to code but not exactly, the "same same but different" scenario. try it!

Tokyo by Kenzo

All i get is ginger...then ginger....then it ends with ginger...smells cheap, bottling looks cheap...it has been sitting there since day 1, used it when i go downstair for a smoke...That its purpose, no go zone. And oh, i use it when i need to "freshen" the toilet temporarily.

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

One of Hugo Boss best work. Fresh opening and stays that way, no depth but the freshness is there, lovely!! Worth buying or the least trying.

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

STRONG frag, similar to POLO Sports, that "thick" clouding smell that lingers close to you and if you get close to someone, it will creep itself to them too, over powering and sickly sweet, perhaps mix it with water?? HAHAHA, kidding. but that is what i feel like doing unfortunately. Nevertheless, worth trying, i can see people who will like it.

Bigsly's avatar

Adidas Victory League 2006 by Adidas

This is a strange one. At times I can smell most of the notes clearly, while at other times it comes across as a thick vanillic syrup with a cedar base. I'm still trying to figure out why, perhaps it's due to what I had been wearing previously. I always enjoy taking the cap off and smelling the sprayer, though I certainly don't do this every day. I no longer view this as a spicy Oriental fragrance, and I don't find it offensive in any way. If anything, I could understand someone saying that it is too sweet. The grass note is very interesting here, making it something of a "hybrid" (along with putting basil in an Oriental). I haven't tried Boss Bottled so I can't say if this is similar. The top notes, which I try to avoid as much as possible, may indeed have the cheap and synthetic qualities foetidus mentions, but after that, I don't find this to have that cheap chemical smell I've detected in other fragrances. Perhaps the sweetness masks that to some degree. In any case, I don't look the gift horse in the mouth, and at $5 or $6 for 100 ml, I'll be sure to keep at least one bottle within reach.

My old "newbie" review: I don't know if my AVL is the same as this, because there is date listed. This is an Oriental, but a spicy (a bit hot even) one, and not like a mellow ambery one of the KL Lagerfeld variety. It has good sillage and longevity. There's not much development over time, which can make this seem boring. For the price I paid, it's not bad to have around, because it's not like anything else I have. However, because I dion't have experience with recent, high-end Orientals it's impossible for me to say whether this is a great deal or just a decent one.

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 August, 2009)

Lorenzzo88's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I've been warned!
    Just bought a sample of the juice and tried it twice already
    maybe I should try it once again because I see very, VERY little difference with (may be less vulgar and vinegary-metalic-straight-forward, more delicate clean linen) the later Pierre Bourdon's Cool Water.
    Gees, I thought this guy hated immitations...
    Though it's kinna fresh, clean and average joe friendly...I'm still not a fan.
    as for the oppening, the verbena note could have got much nicer in my opinion. The so called-lemon note just make it fell like hyper fresh (very sythetic) vinegary citrus... very bitter n mettalic.
    I must admit that it leaves that first feeling for a shorter period of time than cool water which is more linear in my opinion and the difference between tese two fragrances start to show when you reach GIT's middle and ending notes which are more delicate, soft n smooth, balanced... clean linen, green and slightly powdery effects
    well made but I don't think that we will remember this frag as something great in 20 years from now. However, this fragrance has influenced a whole generation of perfumes and I can understand why a lot of people like it

argus wishingwell's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

it smells like misty air of the docks in the morning and maybe a little bit "mossy green and dead waters". in my opinion; slightly but noticeably different and better than the other aquatics in the market. it has a very loud sillage if you spray more than 4-5 times. and the longevity is much more than a usual aquatic... this should be classified as "spicy fresh water/aqua"

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2008)

smelldragon's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Clean Men by Clean

At first it smelled like an old lady but it kinda grew on me. i dunno what changed but i got hooked on it. Clean Men is like an acquired taste. I dunno what changed but i'm kinda addicted to it and so are my girlfriends.

Private Collection - Corps et Âmes by Parfumerie Generale

This has a peppery, intriguing and subtle start. Geranium rose and other rose notes are spicy, floral, translucent, not sweet and quite interesting. Woody bright hints of oudh -- good. Vanilla is very restrained. This settles into a pleasant peppery-floral-wood scent that is light and breezy. (substantially revised)

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2010)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche pour Homme is a BIG scent. One squirt is enough for me. It is rich, potent, and lasts a long time. It starts with a spicy-mint lavender note, develops a woody-patchouli chord that verges on sweetness, then drys down into a classy and sensual blend. Women like it on a man. It has that old-school, barbershop assertiveness from its clove and patchouli. I appreciate it and enjoy it occasionally. It makes a statement!

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 March, 2011)

scentpacking's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

this is the first truly male fragrance from adp Having been a fan of both the original colonia and assoluta since i first discovered them ,i was unsure how this new scent would compare. it is however an outstanding addition to the range and distinctly male . longevity is much better on me than the original-6 hours plus ,which has to be a bonus and it smells wonderfull. if you havent tried it get a hold of some now .10 out of 10

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th August, 2011)

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Ho Hang... what a surprise! It is delightful. Easy to overlook this one. As others have said; it is a fresh, woody Oriental. The elements are very well blended and create a lovely accord. The only clearly distinguishable notes are citrus at the beginning and lovely cedarwood throughout. The vanilla is not a problem here (it usually is for me). This is not a rich or overly spicy scent; it is sprightly, invigorating and enjoyable. Excellent dry-down. I’d say HH is in the same mood-camp as Worth pour Homme or Jil Sander Man Pure (Original) & I like it!
    ** Just a brief update on this. Wore it today and it hit every comfort zone I have. Superb warm spicy scent without being heavy. Wears so well and satisfies throughout the day. Upgraded to a full 5 stars, a definite thumbs-up. again, very similar to Jil Sander but a worthy and more accessible scent. Namely that both are "discontinued" but Ho Hang is widely available in discount and mall outlets. Check it out -- it is very good.

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 February, 2014)

ComDiva's avatar

Royal Pavillon by Etro

The first time I smelled Royal Pavillon, I got interesting creamy flowers. Thereafter, every time I've put it on, it's been... suntan lotion. Pure suntan lotion. Ugh.

ComDiva's avatar

Geranium Bourbon by Miller Harris

Notes (according to Luckyscent): Cassis berries, lemon geranium, turkish rose.

This is a very interesing one on me, as I get a quick blast of lemony floral that is probably geranium, but it's gone so fast I have trouble defining it, and then the lemony quality stays (very nice), and I am hanging out with an extremely solid though friendly smelling rose. There are more spicy dark notes hinting around the edges of the fragrance, giving me hope for a re-appearance of the geranium with more as the drydown proceeds. Ah! There's a tiny little boozy note!

The drydown is worth the wait - a clear and watery geranium note full of pepper does indeed make an appearance and the overall effect is a smooth, rain drenched spicy floral with dark earth and hint of booze.

Geranium Bourbon is a VERY fun one for warmer weather, though I'm still on the fence about whether I need this one in my full-time rotation. I still want more geranium!

JaimeB's avatar

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A strong citrus and green opening, with floral notes following in profusion. Melon and salycilates provide a mysterious softening effect while hardly being noticeable in themselves. More softness as coconut and musky notes round out and anchor the fragrance. The scent is not overwhelming, and though it is floral it is equally suitable for a man or a woman, in my view. It has some sillage, but is not overly intrusive. Dominique Ropion shows his skill as a perfume artist in the subtle nuances of ingredients which in themselves don't stand out, but rather round out the main players.

Joshaugustt's avatar

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I THINK THIS IS, BY FAR, THE BEST OF THE FARRAGAMO EDT. IT'S FRESH, WARM, AND SURPRISINGLY LONG LASTING. THIS IS A WINNER. DEFINITELY WORTH TRYING.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Yes, yes, definately yes! Can a scent get better than that? Sensual but understated, elegant but not excessively formal, distingished yet virile, divinely soft yet still robust and full of personality. It's hard to think that this was made in 1934, as it anticipates some masterworks in the style of the 1990's/2000's- and i'm only meaning the exceptional perfume creations of these two decades, setting themselves apart from perfume history, not the inflation of run of the mill products also typical of these decades. It's not only a timeless scent, i guess it came much ahead of it's time. The first impression slightly sweet, overtly floral, with a creamy and vanillic touch, but if this description might be suitable for a feminine scent, well, it's entire the opposite, as the second and more lasting impression, particularly during the drydown it becomes masculine, but with moderation and an immense velvet glove or cover surrounding a rich, energetic, robust and hyper-virile conservative chypre-woody touch. If Caron is the quintessence of French distinction, then Pour un Homme is one of the best examples for that, as it represent everything that French haute-couture, savoir-vivre, dandysm, luxury and indisputable, established reputation of good taste stands for. It comes pretty close to my own perception of the ideal scent, as it has everything that stands for an olfactory masterpice: a history to back it's reputation, a high-class yet not snobbish appeal, a certain niche ( almost shock ) value, since, altough a designer scent, it's a rather uncommon and unpredictable choice, the mixture of elitism and subtle ( not commonplace simplicity ), a fascinating harmony of inoffensive, warm florals and also some old-school ( yet not dated ) undertones, harmoniusly included in a suprisingly avant-garde mixture. I might just have found one of my latest favorites!

perfumefanatic's avatar

Ambush (new) by Dana

I was so surprised that I didnt care for the old Ambush, smells a lot like Canoe to me. The new Ambush I do like, but it reminded me of something familiar....then it hit me! Its very similar to VS Garden Sensual Amber, which has jasmine & sandalwood. So this could be a good alternative if VS ever discontinues Sensual Amber, which I hope they won't anytime soon!

likouala_man's avatar

Royal Water by Creed

Royal Water is a comfort fragrance for me. I've gone to it and then gone away from it several times over the years. There is something there that keeps me coming back. It has gotten the 'you smell great!' reaction from several friends who appreciate beauty and that says something. I'd like to always have a bottle of this around. I like the seamless combination of citrus, floral and musk. It is lively and enchanting.

scentsitivity's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

First, here are the notes, as listed at Penhaligon’s website:

Head Notes: Lemon, Lime and Lavender
    Heart Notes: Blenheim has no heart notes
    Base Notes: Pine, Musk and Black pepper

The reviewer scentemental captures my experience with precision when writing, “Blenheim Bouquet opens with a sharp, tart citric blast which is carried into the heart notes by the aromatic pungency of thyme and pine, both of which are incongruously married with a slight but decided camphoraceous note.” I don’t detect lavender in the published notes, but I get thyme (or more accurately: lemon, lime, thyme, pine). This is a dignified scent. It conveys a sense of the wearer being sanctified: not in a religious sense, just the notion that the wearer is set apart. BB doesn’t try to entice or attract, and that sets it apart from virtually every cologne on the market. I enjoy it on occasion and must say that I am impressed by it.

scentsitivity's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Creed

The opening provides an intense blast of birch tar and leather tempered with lemon. I find it to be intensely masculine, but it a rugged way, nothing sexual here. The intensity lasts for roughly 30 minutes. I enjoy this part. It would be easy (and incorrect in my case) to say it is gone after 30 minutes. What lingers for hours is a dull impression of what I smell in the opening. So it doesn’t develop, but is rather anticlimactic, and therefore relatively disappointing.

Lille Kra's avatar

Norway Norway

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

The first time I tried Nina I just wanted to get out of the store. I disliked it. Alot. A few months later at another store, the salesgirl suggested I'd try it. Minutes later I found myself buying the cutest little bottle ever. It stays close to the skin, which to me probably prevents it from becoming too much of a good thing. I like to describe Nina as sweet, fruity, girlish and, for some reason, naive. It's careless, happy and adorable.