Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

Lille Kra's avatar
    Lille Kra
    Norway Norway

Deseo by Jennifer Lopez

I didn't expect to like this perfume. At all. As it turned out, I love it. As does quite a few of the other girls at work as well as the mother of two of them. My roommate had to go get one for herself. It reminds me of summerdays on the beach. I can actually smell the sea after wearing this for a while. It's a nice change when I tire of my other sweeter scents, or just want a break from winter.

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I am completely smitten with this fragrance. It is so ellusive, so beautiful...All other violets fall short in comparison.

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Hmm...smells very good, I get a lot of compliments from women on what it is that I am wearing. Girls love it. But don't tell them what you're wearing so that they'll keep thinking about you. ;]

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This is my favorite fragrance, I never leave home with out it. A lot of women like it as well, I get compliments even from men. Use it wisely. Girl's love it.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

This Versace Man Eau Fraîche is the Man. It's nice and fresh and then fade out but does not loses its touch. Stays fresh. Thats why I like this one. I would recommend it to a friend definitely.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

I like it, it's nice and juicy in the beginning and then fades out into the amber music, and agarwoods.

J'Adore by Christian Dior

smells good, like some tree blossoming in spring--

Chantilly by Dana

A happy fizzy scent--easy to find. We got a gift set last year with the body lotion and my daughter loved it.

Petit Guerlain (original) by Guerlain

I just ordered this one based on the review. I plan to give it to my daughter.
    My guess is that someone in our household will love it.

Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella by Guerlain

I was drawn to Anisia Bella after a friend mentioned it reminded her of Apres L'Ondee. After I bought a bottle I could see exactly what she meant --several times I found myself slightly reminded of Apres L'Ondee (edp--I have not tried the edt yet)--

the cool watery feel of Anisia Bella is beautiful. There is a chilly bitter licorice moment before it mellows...cool and delectable yet non-sweet, not fruity at all--just like a very long cool breeze. A very calming scent--

the first time my daughter tried it she disliked it, now she loves it in hot weather and loathes it in cold weather. I agree that it is a summertime scent.

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

Marvelous . Very very fresh very very sexy--this one is pure genius.

5 gold stars

06 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2008)

Azzaro Now Women by Azzaro

This is kind of bland. sorry. (!)

holyjes's avatar
    holyjes

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

at the beginning, this smells exactly like cheap little cinnamon red hot candies. and I love it!

Jen81's avatar
    Jen81

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

I have to agree that this particular scent is an improvement on the original Allure, and I like the spicy kick -- I think it adds something that I felt was lacking in the original Allure. This particular scent strikes the perfect balance between sweetness and spice without being cloyingly sweet. Definitely another winner from Chanel!

peevish_yolk's avatar
    peevish_yolk
    Serbia Serbia

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

My first contact with this one wasn’t so good… to be honest, it made me sick.
    Some years later and after some hundreds of others scents my nose was finally ready for A*Men and… I loved it… I loved it very much.
    Sometimes, when I splash some A*Men on my arm I smell it pretty piggish and I enjoy as much as Homer Simpson when he eats chocolate and he says: ”Mmmmm… sweeeeet”. Vanilla, caramel, chocolate… is there any sweet thing we know which isn’t in this scent?
    A*Men is very long lasting and super aggressive. If you like when the whole room smells like you than you should use Opium pour Homme, but if you have a huge desire that the entire building smells like you, than you should undoubtedly apply this one.
    I just couldn’t imagine A*Men on some mature man. Thanks God, despite my age (I’m 35 years old), I’m not so mature;-)

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Stetson by Stetson

This opens with powerful animalic jasmine and rubbery amber, which, as you might guess, is not pleasant in any traditional sense (except perhaps if you wear certain "classic" women's fragrances). It dries down to a soft and powdery sweet floral, with a hint of woodiness. The amber is fairly consistent throughout, and the rubbery aspect of it never fully disappears. I think that a spice note may have rounded this out, but as it stands it's a bit basic for me; the drydown is pleasant but lacks dynamism. Even though it's cheap, so too is Lalique for men (the "lion"), and that one is clearly a better version of this in every way. I think that for most people, once they've come to appreciate better fragrances of this kind, such as Shalimar Light or the aforementioned Lalique, there is really no reason to have Stetson around, because when you wear it, you will likely ask yourself why your aren't wearing one of those other ones. I found the longevity to be fairly good, but it does ease up quite a bit in terms of projection/"sillage" in a short period of time.

My old newbie review: This is way too animalic for me at the beginning, then it softens up, but there's still too much animalic jasmine for me to want to wear this regularly. If it wasn't for that, this might be quite nice, though too feminine for some men. My guess is that this might work well for a guy who sweats a lot, unlike myself. I don't mind the spices or powderyness to it, but due to the animalic qualities, I much prefer something like Carven Homme, and since they cost about the same, there's no reason for me to reach for Stetson.

06 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2009)

mcjra's avatar
    mcjra
    Philippine Philippine

Black Aoud by Montale

Too dark, too melancholy, too simple. Too divinely dark, too well craftedly (is that a word?) melancholy, and simple...simply wonderful that is. Unfortunately also too unwearable for me, for now atleast, that's why the neutral rating. BUT if you are the dark, brooding, and simplistic type, Black Aoud is definately for you. Me, I'll stick to my Le Labo Rose 31 as far as rose scents go.

06 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2008)

faatay4's avatar
    faatay4

Fougères Marines by Montale

a salty sea breeze,ahhhhh. very very nice

Stargazer 7.71 by Yosh

I had heard so much about Yosh's perfumes and I love Stargazer lilies so I was all prepared to have found a new love. It was bottled in an adorable, tiny little crystal flacon with clean lines (think early Chanel No. 5 bottle) and promised good things ahead. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

On me, Yosh Stargazer smelled like a cheap, knock-off lily fragrance which was cloying and needy. It keept shrieking, "smell me!". It only came in an "oil" so my wrist felt uncomfortably slippery after putting it on. And talk about long-lasting. This scent would not go away! Even after 6 hours, a hot shower and scrubbing my wrist with a buf-puf and soap, it was still annoyingly there. I hope whoever buys Stargazer smells and tests it first to see if they can live with it because for $130/1 oz. it is not cheap.

If you want a true and perfect lily fragrance, my suggestion is Serge Lutens Un Lys or Frederice Malle's Lys Mediterranee.

ps: Lest you think I am a Yosh hater, I adored Sottile by the way. Oil or no, it was a fabulous earthy rose fragrance.

Shiso by Aftelier

To me, Shiso smelled like camphor wood and powder, and then drifted down in an hour or so to level out into a soft cinnamon incense fragrance. I could definitely envision an ancient Kyoto teahouse (where geishas typically entertained). It smelled like something that a dignified, sophisticated Japanese lady might have worn years ago.

Tango by Aftelier

With advance apologies to everyone who knows what "champaca" is or smells like (I've never heard of it), Tango's top and middle notes smelled to me like a warm Swedish-style spice bread with notes of honey, saffron and cardamom. It was definitely more like a European-style baked good than an American one because in places like Germany and the Scandinavian countries, their pastries seem to have half the sweetness of similar American-style desserts. With Tango, think of an authentic "Lebkuchen", "St. Lucia Bun", etc...

After an hour or so, Tango evolved into a beachy, sun-tan lotion, white-musk scent (in a nice, soft unassuming way). At that point, I could definitely envision sitting on a wind-swept beach in Northern California or Oregon at sunset, wearing a cozy soft sweater next to a crackling bonfire after a long languid day of sun-bathing.

06 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 April, 2008)

Havana pour Elle by Aramis

Very rare one. Found out it is sharp, crispy floral for daytime wear. Its men edition is more popular I guess.

Elysium by Clarins

Just noted that it has papaya, honeydew, sandalwood and musk. Recommended for office wear.

Jules by Christian Dior

It is a pleasure to finally add my comments to this one-of-a-kind website. Hello world from Turkey. After selling a bunch of Jules we have in stock to clients in England, Spain, and the US, I recollect some thoughts about this rare fragrance. A clear scent of tobacco or leather gives a full exposure of maturity. Not recommended for a young clientele, but perfect scent for the rest. Very different from today's men cologne. Most men cologne (except Creed, etc.) are very fresh, not much perfume. Jules is like wine, the more it is preserved, the better it smells.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Brut by Fabergé

I can only tolerate a tiny amount of this, so this new review needs to be considered possibly incomplete. I have sampled the one in the plastic bottle, a fairly new one, I think. There is harsh lavender and a chemical/synthetic, candy-like note or accord that seem to be in a battle for dominance. They are both awful, but together it's almost like a bad joke, told over and over again. I'm on a sea-food diet these days. Whenever I see food, I eat it. Over and over again. Anyway, I didn't detect an animalic note nor was it musky. The Brut 33 I recently sampled is much better in every way. Perhaps if you skin chemistry is such that it really "eats up" fragrances this might work for you, if you apply it in a reasonable way. I see no attraction to the aficionado of "fine fragrance," unless you want to "go slumming" once in a while. If you don't know any better and have very limited money to spend, I suggest the original Lomani fragrance for men instead (if you want something similar but much better).

My original review of April 6, 2008: Possibly a minimal application would lessen the unpleasantness, but I tried some that a relative owns, because I don't want to be a snob, but it smelled like an attempt at a new candy flavoring that went horribly wrong. I probably put too much on (back of hand) by accident (I thought it had a small hole on top, like the one I had when I was young), and it was like olfactory torture. Got to give this a negative, based upon the fact that I couldn't wash it off and tone it down, even after trying several times.

06 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2011)

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

Black Suede Touch by Avon

It might not have the distinction or the high price-high quality ratio of a leather scent by Creed, Lutens, Trumper or Knize, but guess it's still good value for money for a postmodern all-rounder, with more experimental rather than old-school macho leathery style. Surprisingly enough, it's far less synthetic than most mass-market scents and has a discreet opening of edible notes, completed by a spicy drydown, reminding more of sweet woody notes rather than just the typical leather scent. And it' s in this very drydown, where this scent develops an edgy, partly soapy, partly exotic edge.

06 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2011)

likouala_man's avatar
    likouala_man

Pour Un Homme by Caron

This fragrance is so evocative. I happened to get hold of the older version which is NOT the bright green color and also the bottle label is different. This more vintage one has just "Pour un Homme" on the label with "Caron" near the bottom, while the newer one has "Pour un Homme de Caron". The new juice is bright green in color and the older juice is greenish brown. Now the newer one smells bright and clean while the older one smells darker and dirtier. I am sure the composition is roughly the same lavender-vanillas theme but there are differences. In the vintage there is the definite smell of cat-pee for a 5-10 minutes (AKA civet) and something like a tobacco note, but this isn't listed in the ingredients. In the newer one, I don't get the cat-pee note, and it is the poorer for not having it. I find the newer version sweeter and less complex and naughty, so my vote is for the vintage if you can find it. The label is the give away for this one. The vintage label has just "Pour Un Homme" and NOT "Pour Un Homme de Caron". There is an even older version which has the subtitle on the label "Les plus belles Lavandes", after the name "Pour Un Homme". I've just found a bottle of that vintage on Ebay and will report back after trying it.

06 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 July, 2012)

hirch_duckfinder's avatar
    hirch_duckfinder

Castile by Penhaligon's

This immediately reminds me of a classic Eau, particularly Villoresi colonia. All the notes are somewhat detectable right from the start but the balance changes as it develops. It starts with lovely limey citrus like a high quality edc, light but very present neroli with the dark, heavy aspects chopped out maybe mingled with a light rose. While never overbearing, the neroli retains some indolic qualities. This sits with a clear and very excellent bergamot note which reminds me of the divine one in Patou pour Homme. Finally a very pleasant musk, with the sharp points smoothed off .The musk-neroli blend is absolutely outstanding, warm with soft spikes like a hedgehog polished by a disc sander.

Beautifully blended and balanced this is an outstanding fragrance.

07 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2008)

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

Versus Time for Action by Versace

Underrate gem of sporty, casual scents and also extremely affordable. The citrus notes are smooth and youthful, having both an energizing and relaxing effect. A scent that arguably won't get one noticed instantly but still uplift one's mood in very pleasant way. At least on my skin it smelled very Mediterranean and giving me the feeling of indulging my body chemistry and my spirit.

07 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2008)