Fragrance Reviews from April 2008

ubuandibeme's avatar

Escada Margaretha Ley by Escada

Wow, powerhouse is right! Calchic nailed this one dead on. My initial impression of this rich, heady oriental by Margaretha Ley; is Christian Dior's Poison - the original. It is spicy and sweet, with womanly sillage to spare. The flowery part of this Escada is like that of Givenchy's Ysatis...soapy, heady & also a powerhouse frag! The orange blossom here is front and center throughout it's extra long life! Less is more with this juice - if you over apply this stuff, it will end up 'wearing you'. I do like it, on occassion!

tvlampboy's avatar

Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Seventies Era powerhouse chypre. Very green and herbal, but also leathery and tough -- imagine Equipage without its polite veneer and rounded corners. A definite classic, yes, but one which would likely not sell well today -- not at all. This is a very masculine, very French affair whose composition would today be a bit of a dinosaur. (And more's the pity.)

scentsitivity's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Guerlain puts this creation in a new olfactory family called “Luminous Woody”. Without reading that description, I felt the effect: if it could be seen it would glow in the dark. Florescent sandalwood! At points, it takes on a gourmand character and feels edible. I suspect the cocoa notes contribute to that effect. If I were to put in a family I would say it is an oriental-gourmand hybrid. I get decent longevity and I enjoy the scent. It is unlike anything else I have tried and feels familiar and foreign – it is hard to put in words. I don’t see myself wearing it with frequency, but I do commend it. Stated notes: citrus and star anise crystals, peppery elemi from the Philippines,Jasmine petals from India, Mysore sandalwood, Lapsang tea, bitter cocoa beans, hibiscus seeds, patchouli flowers from Indonesia

Acqua di Biella No. 1 by Acqua di Biella

No 1 opens with a slight "Old World" feel. I agree that the mint and lavender play the major roles in this act. Upon first waft, mint water comes to mind. I say water because it literally conjures emotions of running water due to the EDC concentration. Upon further examination, I realize the lavender yields an earthy quality, and if shaved root bark soaked in water. For me, this note is dischordant and adds a bitter tinge that disrupts the composition and is incongrous with what the fragrance wants to be. The lavender also keeps the mint and bay. The mint is struggling to come out and play but remains reserved as if there is no confidence to socialize. I don't detect any of the other notes off hand. Overall, it smell fresh and good enough but rather fleeting. It would be hard to absorb the purchase price for this EDC. For real stunner however, check out Baraja by Acqua di Biella which is in my opinion, redemption for this house! I give No 1 a 4.5/10 earining it a neutral rating if you round up.

Baraja by Acqua di Biella

Baraja opens with lemon, citron, and lime. This is a burst of a very fresh "green" smell. It actually evokes to color of green. the middles notes are black currant, peach and a hint of honey. This lends a fresh "air" vibe to the mellow green smell that stills persists in the development while not detecting anything componet from the middle notes in particular. The rich base notes of amber, patchouly, and vetiver support the green composition by adding a bit of depth and character. Vetiver further supports the opening act to add opulence and vibrancy to the green aura while the amber and patchouly only support the vetiver and move it forward. Overall, it is very fresh, very pure, very green, and a fragrance that instantly makes you happy! I understand the conotations to fresh linen but this in no way is the complete picture. This is an instant love for me and when you want to be happy, want to smell clean, want to feel good, this is the perfect choice. Baraja is perfectly blended and is very smooth in operation. One might think it wears close to the skin because you receive gently wafts here and there but, it projects and has sillage in a "civilized" way. A perfect 10/10 and a must have. Your get clean, soapy, depth, and satisfaction. Great job Acqua di Biella!

l'eau de parfum #3 green, green, green and green by Miller et Bertaux

G^4 begins with verbena announcing its arrival. However, the verbena doesn't come to mind at all. Instead, I get an inital burst with heavy remnants of mint. The following suit is floral followed by cedar, vetiver, and musk in the base. This adds woodiness to the green floral. It is fresh and not overpowering. Now that the formal convention of a review is done, lets talk about what this really is. Upon the first waft, I immediately recognized this as a clone of Un Jardin en Mediterranee by Hermes only noticeably inferior. I give this a 3/10 for being fresh and green due to the fact that I love this category. The thumbs down reflects the score I gave it due to its inferior comparison to Un Jardin en Mediterranee and for the shame of cloning the Hermes product.

Encre Noire by Lalique

Encre Noir was love at first whiff. Encre Noir opens up with that bit of "green" from the Hatian Vetiver but you soon notice the licorice yielding a dark, inky, metallic texture that adds depth and mystery to the composition. There is a slight suggestion of spice, but rather it is the earthiness of the Vetiver Bourbon that quickly fades and supports Encre Noir's complexity. The Musk and Cashmere Wood adds sophistication and "Manly" overtones. As a whole, this is indeed a dark, brooding, inky fragrance that has instantly won me over. It is complex, yet smooth. Dark while mysterious. It conjures up several scenarios to mind. A must in any serious wardrobe and a fragrance that can be worn for any occasion and season. Finally, a Lalique that I don't want to be without!

jathanas's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I wore Cool Water during my honeymoon in the Maldives in 1993 (yes I'm old)... I recently become reacquainted with it. I appreciate it more now. It's a fresh frag but it has sweet woody dry-down that is just fantastic for day wear. A classic!

New West for Her by Aramis

Pure melon is all I remember of it. And looking back, definitely the start of that trend. Don't know that this is such a great loss, if it is indeed lost.

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

Yuck. Red kids' cooldrink, the fake raspberry-ish one we all guzzled (in this country anyway). No, seriously, I was very disappointed, I got this horrible red candied note, and nothing else at all. Boo! Love the name and bottle!

Wild Musk by Coty

Do you guys know this has been rebranded as Exclamation Wild Musk? In a VERY nasty orange and black tiger-print bottle!! I haven't smelled it before this rebranding, can anyone comment on whether the scent is in fact the same? I find it to be the first slightly offensive musk I've encountered, and I LOVE musk! But could be lovely on someone else.

Tabu by Dana

I love this stuff! At 25 I should be too young for it, but maybe because it's not too well known in my country, I have no old lady OR hooker associations with it. It's simply ambery spicey goodness, and I mostly wear it to bed. So comforting and enveloping! I love that I can't pick out any one spice, it's seemless and so smooth. And in fact, I rather like the 'retro' bottle. GREAT value for money, too. All round, absolute winner.

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

I bought a mini, which strangely is still available in South Africa at perfume knock-off boutiques (but this is no knock-off, they also stock minis that are original). I had to see what all the fuss was about with this discontinued fragrance. And: hmmm. I love some spice, but this is JUST cinnamon on me, as in, straight from the spice rack. Unfortunately, on me there's no development, no oomph. Ah well, I still like owning something rare! I'll wear it sometimes in winter, I'm sure. And the little box is very lovely (NOT the bottle, bleh!).
    UPDATE: So now it's winter, and I get this more. It does have some development on me, not the absolute cinnamon 'soliflore' I thought. But after four hours, it's getting a bit much in all its warm softness. Not my favourite, but a lovely fragrance if you're looking for a soft spicefest.

07 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 May, 2008)

Jovan Musk by Jovan

In South Africa, this has been (as far as I've seen) unavailable for years. But now it's here, and I adore it! Smells so much more expensive than it is, and for the very first time, a stranger asked me to write down what perfume I was wearing. I do not find it skanky at all, and get lots of flowers, and some clean, clean whiteness. I don't think I'll ever willingly be without it again! (My boyfriend got thoughtful when I let him sniff it, and said "I think I'm starting to get what musk is..." I'm taking this as a good sign.)

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

OMG, this smells of dentist's rooms! Must be the powderiness of the talc on their gloves and the minty-powderiness of mouthwash, or something, but I HATE this so much! Awful.

Charlie Sunshine by Revlon

I used to wear this exclusively in high school, such a nice summery clean scent. One of the best Charlies, from before they started churning out ENDLESS new 'versions'. This is fabulous for a young girl who does not want something too flowery or girly. It's rather citrusy and fizzy.

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

I want to give this a solid try, I only spritzed on a little once, and honest-to-god, what I smelled was new library book! The thick, durable plastic-smell - I loved it! If it smells of that all the way through, I will seriously consider a bottle. What a different smell, and so unexpected from this. Maybe my nose was off that day, though?

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Clean! All the things people criticize about this, are the things I like. It's fleeting, not that strong, and old-fashioned: lovely! And I also love that all the scented products, like body lotion, actually smell powerfully of the cologne, unlike many other perfume's matching products. All perfume lovers should get to know this treat, even if only for the link it provides to the past. And before the new aromachemical-regulations force them to change it!

Devin by Aramis

So evocative to me - my dad's fragrance. Fresh, manly, gentlemanly - but with a slight, slight animalic touch to my nose, which now that I'm older makes me ever so slightly uncomfortable that this is my dad's smell! Fabulous stuff, but apparently unpopular - I never smell it, and never have, except at home.

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Yum! I just smell earth. Wonderful, would wear it all the time if it were at all affordable. Fabulously like wet earth, but could be stronger.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

No, no, no! Incense, here? I so wanted to love this, but I am assaulted by the worst smell I've ever experienced from a bottle when I spritz this! All I smell is rancid, old soap, no spice, no incense whatsoever, nothing but a very penetrating, sour soap.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

There can be nothing as sexy as this (I prefer the EDT)! A gay friend said it smells lovely, very intimate and 'like womens' underwear' (because he'd know!). I adore how this throws a cashmere-ey veil around me, how you mustn't try to get too close to smell it, how it radiates woman and sex and love.... mmmmmmmm! It could get too sweet on hot days, though, definitely, and its presence is stronger than the wearer suspects (must be the musk). If only it were at all affordable! In South Africa it's very much at the top end, price-wise.
    UPDATE: I bought it! The big bottle, too! Now I'm (perhaps unwisely) wearing it on an unseasonably hot day. We'll see how that pans out, but I sprayed with abandon last night, and this morning I still smelled like the best thing on earth. The way this stuff merges with your skin! LOVE.

07 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 May, 2008)

rebens's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Jil Sander Man by Jil Sander

Yes! Awsome! the most interesting for a long time. It takes time to discover. Drydown is magic with blue cedar, myrrh and russian leather. quite dry and a bit leathery. not cloying at all - subtle and classy. forget about all the so called "masculin"and "modern" musky and ambery scents.

SirSlarty's avatar

Rush for Men by Gucci

Slightly woody and spicy and ordinary. With a name like rush I was expecting to POP but it just lays there on the skin. I tried this at a discount perfume shop and the man sprayed it on my arm (at my request) and immediately said, "Strong, eh?". This is not strong at all. Only after reading the scent notes pyramid do I get the cedar and the incense notes which really smell like allspice and a but of licorice. I suppose my skin is extra dry because it didn't last as long as other people's experiences with Gucci Rush.

The bottle is just... wrong. I get a clear image of the color red when I sniff this. A slightly oblique glass rectangle tinted orange-red with clear juice would be perfect, not a stark white rounded plastic rectangle.

SirSlarty's avatar

212 Sexy Man by Carolina Herrera

For me, this dies after an hour. The scent feels skunky after a while. I don't like it at all, it made me gag. Too much vanilla and "green".

Jen81's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

This is my second time trying Shalimar.

The more I try it the more I appreciate it, but there are still some elements of the perfume that still make me wrinkle my nose a little bit.

This particular fragrance has a tendency to come on very strong when first sprayed, and it's full of heady greens. The vanilla slowly makes an appearance, but it starts to get a little powdery while retaining the bite without being overly cloying like most vanillas tend to do.

I'd have to say that I start liking it the best when it finally hits the base, and there's a nice stately mix of vanilla and powder. The green is still there, but this time it's not shouting to be noticed like it does at the opening.

In conclusion, I'd say that I like this perfume but I'm not in love with it like others are. I think it might take a couple more tries for me to truly appreciate it, but I think I might come around. Quite frankly, I think I might like it a bit more if there was a bit more of vanilla at the opening instead of intense greens.

Critic's avatar

Zimbabwe Zimbabwe

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

Beautiful fresh scent. Sweet fro, the start and I can detect the mint in the opening. Its quite prominent.

Then it dries down to a soapy phase. This must be the florals in play. Then it has a liht vanilla base which is quite pleasant.

Longevity: 20 hours plus
    Sillage: 3 feet
    Power: Heavy (3 hours) then subtle (10-20 hours)

It'll rival scents worth £200 yet this is £10

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

It’s snowing… for the first time this year. It is quite warm in my room. I’m hearing the children’s laughter from outside. There is a cup of very hot tea on the table just waiting for me. I’m wearing Michael for Men… “and I think to myself, what a wonderful world.”
    This is a “just like it or absolutely adore it” scent. Its top is comme ci, comme ca but its drydown is a pure pleasure. The real enjoyment begins with an emergence of the tobacco note.
    It’s impossible to find Michael for Men in my country, what is basically good. Namely, on the day I wear it I’m sure: it is more likely that I’ll see Halley’s Comet than someone around me will smell the way I do.
    I wish it had better sillage, but, hey, nothing’s perfect.

Mokkie's avatar

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Watermelon....that is all there is..top, middle and base..as mention above, not an offensive scent but then again, nothing really. Great for office use, not meant to impress.

Mokkie's avatar

Christos Man by Christopher Chronis

Well well well..what can i say about Christos men, very good strong frag. It got taken out of the market (i think) because of its bottle design (it is a crucifix cross). These days, the closest thing you can get which i think is a very close match is Paco Rabanne Ultra Violet. Very nice by the way!!