Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Rochas Femme (new) by Rochas

Not a fragrance for everyone, Rochas Femme is very strong, with a potent ripe fruit accord and a touch of the dirty. The opening fruit accord – peach and plum – is not at all sweet because its sweetness has been tempered by cumin and rosewood. It’s an excellent accord and I think that it is quite unisex. The florals from the middle still carry the spices to a very great extent, reducing the femininity of the florals. It’s base is a typical chypre dry down complete with patchouli and oakmoss. The result is a full, mellow, traditional chypre that is quite attractive and sensual. It’s a grownup scent, strong and forceful, that like so many of these older chypres, could easily make it as a unisex fragrance.

British Sterling by Dana

For a while in the late sixties this was my idea of class. Of course, by comparison with what I had been wearing, I wasn’t too far wrong. I believe that I began using British Sterling after an understandingly abortive attempt at wearing Hai Karate. Believe me, British Sterling was a great improvement over HK. Testing BS again I find it a bit better than I remember. The opening floral and citrus is a pleasant accord – more florals than I would have been comfortable with back then, but I can handle it now. When the fragrance moves to the middle level, it picks up its strong metallic vibration thanks to the clove / cedar combination. I recall it as being more metallic than I perceive now; I still find it too sharp, but not as sharp as my memory had expected. The base is rather dry. It claims amber but I can’t find a strong amber presence. As in many men’s fragrances at the time, it has a fairly dominant generic musk note – not a sweet musk – more powdery than sweet. I don’t get a strong wood accord from the base, probably because the base notes simply do not last very long. The metallic clove and cedar from the middle and the powdery musk from the base hang on as a skin scent for an hour or two. Possibly the fragrance has been reformulated, or my olfactory abilities have lessened, but I found in this reintroduction to British Sterling, that I don’t dislike it as I had expected to; however, I’m not going to take up wearing it again.

Martini by Demeter Fragrance Library

Errr… I’m not so sure about this one … Maybe it smells a little like a Martini – especially the olive part of the Martini. I’m not so sure about the gin and vermouth, though. And then there is a kind of like some sort of alcohol but I would say that I’m not getting that juniper berry tickle that I get from gin – maybe that’s why it doesn’t seem very realistic to me. Martini gets spicy after a while – cloves to tell the truth, and I wonder how that fits in. I don’t find this an especially easy wear, but at least it has some sillage and very good longevity for a Demeter. I’m not crazy about it, but it’s okay.

Tiffany for Men Sport by Tiffany

Tiffany for Men Sport is at first dominated by a fresh, light cilantro (coriander). It’s clean and green and rather short lasting. Its cilantro introduction is replaced by a juniper berry woody middle accord – also very light and clean. There is supposed to be pepper in the accord, but I can’t find it. The whole feeling of the fragrance is one of lightness, cleanliness, vegetation freshness, which is, I suppose, appropriate for a sport fragrance. I find it quite linear. Its intensity is just about right for a sports fragrance, but it is a lot too short-lived for me. It serves its purpose very nicely for a while, and it is an enjoyable scent. Pretty expensive for what it delivers.

Paratus by Montgomery Taylor

An interesting scent. Paratus presents a strong coniferous accord that is a bit unusual in that the cardamom seems to neutralize the cedar and juniper to the point where I experience the accord as something not very coniferous. This is certainly not a coniferous accord that might be called “hamster cage.” Paratus is soapy, minimally spicy, a bit woody (patchouli). It is abstract and minimally minimalist. The main accord that opens the fragrance: the gray – green, soapy, faux-coniferous accord, is pretty much the whole fragrance – rather non-exciting, I think. The fragrance is linear and it lasts short of average length. Even though it is unexciting, I rather like Paratus because of its wierdness, but I have serious questions about its wearability and cost.

Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden

I hate to say this about a fragrance represented by the beauteous and provocative Catherine Zeta-Jones, but, unfortunately, this scent is not anywhere near as beautiful as Ms. Zeta-Jones. Provocative Woman is initially perfumy and then quite overpowering through its progression. It’s too fruity sweet: a sweetness certainly more on the annoying side than the provocative. And as for the florals, they seem to be dominated by the orchid, and I have never been fond of orchid notes in a fragrance. In this case, it’s much more than orchid that’s the problem: The fragrance is a bit rough in its projection just not as refined and structured as it should be. And I’m afraid that its accords and notes are just not very original or inspiring – it is not the fragrance that it should be.

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

I usually find violet –especially violet leaf – disagreeable in fragrances. The violet in this one goes past disagreeable to disgusting and then rapidly overshoots to repugnant. Sorry, this one is a scrubber for me. If you like violet notes, be sure to give it a try – it certainly has violet!

Fire by Madini

I really don’t know what to make of this one. Is this just another “creatively” labeled fragrance? Do I have selective anosmia? Did they send the wrong sample? Does my skin eat fire? From what I smell, this fragrance could realistically be labeled “fire” only in some sort of reverse universe. The website blurb about Fire says, “The powerful fire of precious woods and spices, cooled off with lavender and soothing herbs…” I get no fire at all – not even a spark. I get a rather tame, unspicy, possibly wood, probably lavender opening accord that pretty much linearly stays that way for the entire long, long run of the fragrance. Dull and monotonous, I’d rather spend five or six hours smelling ketchup.

09th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2008)

Jon_Remy's avatar

Old Spice Herbal by Shulton

I LOVE this fragrance. Apparently zztopp must have tried an old, old bottle of this stuff since they haven't made it in a long time. I found it to be VERY appealing, with notes of juniper, moutain gentian, and sage. One splash is sufficient for smelling GOOD all day long! I wish they'd bring this fragrance back--I'd buy 10 bottles to keep me stocked. I remember buying this at a Walgreens when I graduated from high school in 1977, and it really brings back memories of those high school days.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Aaaahhhhhh, this is scrumptious! Violet and wood. The violet here is absolutely succulent! It is deep, rich and dark (as opposed to bright/fresh/dewey). I actually salivate when smelling this Luten's masterpiece. It immediately reminds me of Dolce Vita - only better! The funny thing is, after reading Perfumes The Guide, I discover they are related! Bois de Violette pushes all the right buttons for me...including the woods blend, which does not strike me as dominantly cedar...it is crafted well and comes off as very wearable by either a man or woman. Maybe just a touch more feminine. In any case, I emptied my wallet for this one...and have not a single regret!

odysseusm's avatar

Sabotage by Ayala Moriel

This has an excellent aromatic green-citrus opening. It is very lemony and invigorating. Grassy-hay notes emerge, contributed by the vetiver and coumarin (from the tonka bean). I think Ayala is an expert on coumarin, she can always get excellent cut-grass notes when she wants. The blond tobacco leaf adds an intriguing variation on this grassy theme. It reminds me of my father’s old pipe tobacco tins. This is a lovely daytime scent. I don’t find Sabotage to be ‘macho’ or ‘stinky.’ The grassy notes are quite distinctive, but that is part of this scent’s charm. Ayala’s site says that she created Sabotage to be “a parody of classic masculine scents.” I like it.

Agent Provocateur's avatar

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

L'Eau d'Hiver smells like powdered sugar. I really love the smell of powdered sugar. Soft, delicate and discreetly sweet.

Mudassir's avatar

Stardust for Men by Llewelyn

This is some good stuff- if you are into somewhat "fresh" scents. The opening is quite a bit reminiscent of Creed GIT and Coolwater. But the dry down is much less "sporty" and more luxurious than these two, and that is a good thing!

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Yendi by Roberto Capucci

A dazzling gem from the seventies. This scent manages to combine wonderfully fresh green note, with rich sweet florals, then gives it just a slight bit of powder to soften the whole affair. It is pure olfactory candy; it is sweet without being cloying, green without any sharpness, and powdery without any of the aldehydic roar. I find myself contemplating this scent whenever I wear it, it is 'that' complex, and that delightful. It truly is a shame it is no longer in production, but as we all know; ingredients for these classic masterpieces are not used any longer due to regulations (cost cutting). Therefore it is better that this grand old dame is remembered fondly and will not suffer the fate of many of her contemporaries; "a 'bad' face-lift"/ re-orchestration.
    This is definitely one to not overlook if you stumble upon it, it will not let you down.

Acqua di Giò by Giorgio Armani

Well this is nice... wait, where'd it go? Definitely a no-buy: inoffensively pleasant, light smell with absolutely zero staying power, and a drydown remininiscent to me of cheapish body sprays. Why so classic? Was there nothing else around in the mid-90s?

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

To me this is 4711 with a dash of powder. Light, inoffensive (to me, more later...), certainly not at all loud, I don't know what could have happened to bottles that smell loud! (This review is for the EDC, though, perhaps the after shave lotion is different?) I would buy this if it were even cheaper, as a curiosity for when I'd like to smell barber shop-y. However: my boyfriend, who never has strong opinions on perfume, absolutely HATED this, on me and on himself. He mentioned 'wet ass' and 'horrible flatness'. He recoiled, in fact! I think the lemon makes him think of toilet bowl cleaners or something, but I can't understand his violent reaction! He's not biased against cheap or anything. Anyway, I like this, I like that it's still around, and I'd sniff a guy or girl who smelled like this. But try before you buy! Apparently some people have connotations with this smell.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Yowza! Knock 'em dead! A most intriguing, STRONG, warm and fierce scent. I'd love to wear it oh, once a year, when I'm feeling tigerish. But if I were to smell this on colleagues and on the street... no, please! Definitely great art, I am very happy this was made and is selling, because it's streets ahead of 95% of other scents. I would love to own a gorgeous bottle, but for something I would wear so seldom, it's just too pricey. Try the Voile de Fleur if this is too much for you, but that one I found very pleasant, still interesting at first, but with a generic-ey drydown and not quite enough presence.

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

Yes, iMaverick, I thought I was crazy: to me this smells JUST like SJP Lovely or Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDT. I get absolutely no fruit or flowers, moving directly to honeyed musk. Staying power from one spritz on my hand seemed to be mediocre, probably similar to Lovely's. I would love this if I got it as a present, but for this smell, both its smell-twins are a tad nicer (and so are their bottles). This bottle, while attractive, does not fit the smell at all! And couldn't they have given it a less confusing (in the light of their previous fragrances) name?

White Musk Blush by Body Shop

Uhm, guys? A violently watered down mix of your own White Musk and DKNY Be Delicious is NOT a fragrance! It's a fleetingness to beat all fleetingness. Shower to Shower body sprays had WAY more lasting power (who still uses those? anyone?). Nope. Lovely little bottle, total utter dud of a smell.

hubert delauney's avatar

Life's a Bed of Roses by Lulu Guinness

This one is like a bouquet of roses once the sweet (lychee! lilac!) bright top notes mellow a bit. It doesn't take long and the middle notes are heavenly. You have to truly love old fashioned garden roses to enjoy this one.The dry down is nice but not too long lasting. I think this is Lu Lu's best.

perfume-aholic's avatar

Danielle by Danielle Steel

If you're a fan of Euphoria you may also like this one as it can be compared. Has a similar composition. Great staying power.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Simply put, one of Bvlgari's worst and uninteresting release to date.

This smells incredibly cheap. Embarassingly generic and sweet/salty in a way that could make you sick. Much more calone than its predecessor with barely any similarities. (What seaweed note? Where's the poseidonia?) This could've and should have been marketed as a totally different fragrance -- not a spinoff/flanker of Aqua. "Eau de Calone" would be a fitting name.

Here's my little story:

My relative went abroad and asked me what I wanted at the duty free. I told her "Bvlgari Aqua." Instead I got Aqua MARINE. It came with a miniature -- so I opened it before opening the big 100ml bottle in the box.

Tried it on my skin, sniffed a few times. Next thing I know was that I already sold it to my friend that lives in the same university apartment. I was really relieved that I had been able to sell it so quickly. :D

Bottleworthy? Definitely not for me. Be sure to try it on yourself a few times before deciding to invest in a bottle.

09th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th June, 2008)

Jemimagold's avatar

Theorema by Fendi

I am always a little skeptical of people who say “just smell perfume X because I say so”. This was the chief commentary on Theorema so you can imagine my mindset as I approached it. Well, I have been the one missing out all this time. Theorema is masterpiece of lush oranges with a touch of cream, amber and patchouli and has decent, but not great, sillage. Granted, Theorema does not have the zestiness of Bigarade Concentree (a fellow orange scent) but then again, it is not trying to be sporty. Rather it is trying to convey a sense of luxury, elegance and calm which it succeeds in doing. In case you are wondering how it compares to its Fendi sister, Palazzo, Theorema is much more subtle and has substantially less amber. In fact, Palazzo seems like a brash Theorema "wanna-be".

Per The Perfumed Court, here are the notes: California tangelo, sweet orange, jasmine, osmanthus, spices, cinnamon, pink pepper, cream, amber, macassar, Mysore sandalwood, gaiac wood, and musk.

daemon's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

It should be called "The Sleeper" and not "The Dreamer" because a lot of people are likely to "sleep" on this cologne because of the top notes.

My first couple of sprays of The Dreamer resulted in my leaving the room in a desperate attempt to spare my nostrils lol The longer it sits, the better it gets. I actually didn't like it at first because the top notes were so sharp, so overwhelming. As time passed, the fragrance became softer, more amicable. I could deal with it. And the "What's that smell" weren't accompanied with a look of nausea but rather, looks of delight.

I love the bottle, as it is aesthetically pleasing and functional, but thought the box looked kind of cheesy (read: cheap).

daemon's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

I have it and I absolutely love it. And judging by the responses I've gotten ("I must take you home with me"! and "WHAT are you wearing?") and the numbers I've obtained, I think it's safe to say Givenchy got this one right. This one lingered on me for a while (not that I minded) and it has a pleasant, sweet smell to it. It's easy to go overboard with this one. It sort of has a chocolate smell to it, too. A little wood scent as well. I wish I could use it in a Glade Plug-in lol

I like the bottle, too. The black and green looks cool and it's simple to use (no caps to lose).

SexPanther's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

this fragrance is great! it is a cross between rochas man and abercombie woods. This one is definitely in my top 5 right now. At first spray I thought it was just another cheap cologne but it is a very pleasant scent after the first few minutes. I will definitely buy another bottle when this one is gone.

Kathleen's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Carnation by Comme des Garçons

This is the only scent that I have smelled that really smell like carnation. So rich and spicy. One of my all time favorites.

Kathleen's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

To me this smells smokey, sultry, woodsy with peach blossoms- actually I thought it was cherry untill I read the notes.. I love this scent. It remind me of the notes Guerlain uses alot but in a different direction.

nickmitil's avatar

Greece Greece

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

The scent is very good, but I wouldn't buy it again since it lasts only for a couple of hours, no matter how much I put on.

jackie85's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

1881 pour Femme by Cerruti

I love this perfume. My mother used to wear it, so every time I smell it, I think of her. It's a very warm, comforting and clean smell. It lasts for ages and unlike some fragances, this one smells best when it has been on the skin for quite some time. It's a great perfume for every occasion. What a shame that it's so hard to get in the Netherlands...