Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

This fraganace reminds me of an ex boyfriend. We had a long distance relationship and only saw each other once in a few weeks. He always wore this fragance and everytime I smell it, it reminds me of those days. It's very strong, spicy and masculine, and supersexy, if the right person wears it. I don't dare to give it to my current boyfriend, because I'm afraid a perfume like this might smell completely different on another person and spoil my memories. It's a very outstanding fragance, in some way very different then other men's fragances.

Princess by Vera Wang

I decided that I wanted to own Princess, as soon as I saw the package in an advertisement in a British magazine. Unofortunately, it's not available in the Netherlands (neither in Belgium or Germany) so I tried my luck at Sephora in Paris and they had it in stock! Though it would have bought it anyway for the pretty bottle, the smell of this perfume is great too. It has a very warm and gentle vanilla undertone. Not so much that it gives you a headache, but not too sweet either. Lasts quite some time too. A very girly scent.

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

The sales lady in the department store where I tried this perfume already warned me; it's a nice perfume, but not for everyone. I agree. Whilst most fragances smell good on my skin, this one first smells spicy and woody, but after wearing it for 1 hour, my wrist smelled of burned plastic. I'm sure it can be nice on other people, but I wouldn't buy a bottle of this one...

MaverickJJ's avatar

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

This one surprised me. Green, fresh, and certainly bloodless, the smell of a very handsome robot. A pronounced note of plastic, which I actually like.

MaverickJJ's avatar

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

The Claiborne scents get a lot of negative reviews here on the site, but this one works for me. I like the warmth of the rum and wood, and there's a nice caramel sweetness. This juice is the furthest thing from the sportiness of the other two Claibornes I like -- Lucky You and Claiborne for Men. A good scent for an evening out, dressed for success and yet ready to party.

twinpeaker's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

My experience with TdH:
    1) I want to love it, but it is a difficult lover.
    2) It lasts longer than Methuselah.
    3) I love it for short periods, it's better late in the drydown for daytime wear (which is a problem....do I apply at 4 a.m. for work arrival at 8?).
    4) I agree with others here: It can give me a headache if I'm having one of those days when a headache feels imminent.
    5) It lingers on clothing in a good way -- very fresh and summery -- like a memory of an old friend.
    7) It is completely unique, can easily be a signature scent.
    8) For those who like it but would prefer a kinder, gentler experience, try F pour Homee by Ferragamo.
    A reserved thumbs up.
    Merci bien!

twinpeaker's avatar

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I agree with Andrew; this is a softer gentler Terre d'Hermes. Not nearly as breathtaking and complex as Jean-Claude Ellena's work of art (there is that sparkling crystalline quality to Terre d'Hermes that is missing here) but, to my nose, it is more wearable. It is a bit sweeter, too (not necessarily an advantage). The full-on linear olfactory laser of TDH can give me a headache after a few hours, and F pour Homme mellows out in a way that allows me to wear it all day.

Great site, I'm a frequent reader, new poster.

09 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2008)

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

This is fun! Fresh without being watery, deep and rich without being overbearing...this is a very clean, almost athletic scent, but with an underlying femininity. Every phase of this fragrance is clear-cut and very clean. On me, the citrus and, later, the vetiver overpower the middle notes and it ends up a bit linear, but on friends I've known it to become more complex. It will never be my daily go-to but it will always be an enjoyable change.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I'm giving this a qualified thumbs-up. On me, at least, this stays very close to the scent in the bottle - it doesn't morph much and it doesn't persist awfully well. The strange, disturbing note others have mentioned is, I think, nothing more than the overtly artificial scent of the synthetic peach scent. Very bright, without a lot of complexity. I don't notice much change from beginning to end - it settles down a bit but doesn't evolve much. When the aldehyde begins to fade, one is left with a fairly linear floral that really does smell like someone's grandmother. Mine.

That said, it is interesting, unusual, and well worth an occasional spritz when I want to play at being someone else for a while.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Sharp. Medicinal. Powdery. Overly sweet. If I'd stuck with the reviews, I would not have purchased this unsniffed, but I'm so glad I did! I don't even know what made this my first blind fragrance purchase, but the moment I smelled it I knew it was the perfume for me. It is, quite simply, bottled sophistication and confidence. Its unabashed neroli and bergamot top notes are presented without the usual apologetic citrus notes to brighten it. Instead of a lemon- or grapefruit-induced sparkle, this fragrance glides like a snake with hips. It is classified as a floral oriental, but there is an unusual dark, confident, sultry note that removes it completely from the dreaded grandma's-powdered- flowery scent I feared. Vanilla keeps it rounded, but it maintains its character all the way through to the fabulous woodsy-iris drydown. It has depth, subtlety, and presence from beginning to end.

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

This is a perfectly nice fragrance that starts off as amber and vanilla and ends up as spice cake and vanilla. It's a very simple scent from start to finish. Like that unmarried friend with a great face, figure and personality who never seems to go out, this is, for no discernible reason, monumentally unsexy. I think it's just too simple - there are no hidden depths to catch the attention and fire the imagination.

I am SO giving a bottle of this to my teenaged daughter! :-)

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

OK, I shouldn't even admit this, but I ran out of new things in the Sephora sample bin and picked up a sample of this, thinking I might use it on linens if nothing else. The bottled scent was intriguing so I put it on and, two days later, had to order the full sized EDT. I really think this is a unisex fragrance - the lavender and vanilla soften the woodsy scent without turning it into something girly. This is a great work scent for a confident woman. Like other reviewers, I found the persistence to be less than ideal. It's fun while it lasts, though!

Les Larmes Sacrées de Thebes by Baccarat

I could MARINATE in this! And immediately file for bankruptcy, of course. I was struggling to describe the top notes until reading Jemimagold's review. "Thyme" is a dead-on description. Spicy, happy, and sparkling, for me this always retained a little more pepper than Parfum Sacre but its added body is part of its charm. I'm in love again!

Simply by Clinique

I actually tried this scent today for the first time and loved it.
    It lasted a long time and as another person mentioned, it smelled of melon & licorice.
    Seems like a great, light summer scent for daytime.
    Since it's discontinued, I've found great prices for it too.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

I really expected to like this one, but don't care for it at all.
    Hopefully a friend will like it and take my bottle off my hands.
    It smells artificial and harsh to me. I agree with the comment about it smelling masculine.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

For years this was my favorite fragrance, but I don't wear it anymore.
    Now it just feels too heavy and intense. Even the lotion seems too heavy.
    Guess my taste has changed because I used to adore it.

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

One of my closest friends just loves this scent. Guess you could say it's her 'signature' scent.
    Since it smells great on her, I decided to try some and it's definately not for me.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I really like this scent. My first exposure to it was a roll-on EDP.
    It smells sweet and warm and smells like summer to me.

Casual Fine Fragrance by Paul Sebastian

I really like this fragrance. It doesn't last as long as I'd like, but it's fresh smelling and not too heavy. It's often the one I grab for daytime use.

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

I absolutely love this fragrance, but seldom wear it.
    It's one that I wear sparingly during winter months.
    The scent lasts and lasts and it's easy to apply too much, but it's warm, deep and earthy.
    This one replaced Cinnabar for a deep, winter scent.

scentwitch's avatar

Brûlure de Rose 13 by Parfumerie Generale

I first wore this a month ago and wasn't 'sold' straight away. On first snifft it's a lot sweeter than the perfumes I normally wear. However, I couldn't stop squirting it on myself and smelling it. That must be a sign, so I've just gone and ordered myself a huge bottle. I've grown to adore this scent.
    I have Irish colouring (v dark hair, v pale skin, green eyes). It may work differently with other skin types, so if you can get hold of a sample do try it first.
    On me, to start it has a honeysuckle warmth, then it becomes truly edible! It dries down to autumnal woods. This perfume bonds to your skin sublimely.

Numero Uno by Carthusia

Nothing too exciting here: Numero Uno is not number one in my book. It’s a competent chypre without major flaws: It is primarily masculine because of its somewhat rough camphorousness and sharper textures from the use of eucalyptus and vetiver. Numero Uno is traditionally structured, and its movement is quite uninspiring. The opening is forgettable – I know this for sure because I had to apply it three times before I could force myself to pay enough attention to it in order to register it in my brain – make that four times, I just did it again. I tend to nod off at that citrus / lavender opening that I have met in so many fragrances, and this one seems as mediocre as the majority of that genre. The citrus in Numero Uno is bright and clean, but the lavender muddies up the accord. The middle is herbal / floral, with the thyme being the dominant representative of herbal group: poor choice IMO: Thyme doesn't usually get along well with lavender as far as I'm concerned. The florals that excel are ylang-ylang and violet, and they are presented nicely. This middle level is competent but it's just as forgettable as the opening. For the dry down I get only the vetiver and a little bit of myrrh with an understood but intangible patchouli. The base has a real chypre feel to it, and is my favorite part of the fragrance.

In all, I find this an earthy fragrance – rustic, even. It is without major flaws except that, in the end, it is too safe, too uninspired. Its chypre classification is very real, and that is what I enjoy most about the fragrance. Test out Numero Uno – it’s a respectable fragrance with a platform that has too many squeaky boards for me, but it has the integrity and quality to perform well on and be of interest to someone else.

09 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2011)

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.
    I think nearly everyone loves this one, including me.

Recently layered Orange Blossom with Red Roses and really liked the result. Great summer scent.
    If the Jo Malone fragrances were more affordable, I'd have plenty of each to experiment with.

09 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2011)

George Sand by Les Parfums Historiques

I don’t get the citrus of the opening because the darker notes from the lower levels of the pyramid rise into the opening immediately and drown the citrus out. George Sand opens deep, rich, and a bit dark. In the first several minutes I seem to find a strong element of animalism in the mixture: This is probably the result of the way the patchouli is presented, but I wouldn’t be surprised by an inclusion of civet. Whatever… I really like this part of the fragrance, as well as the remainder. I do love the depth and richness of the opening and the heart accords. I don’t find the fragrance really “dark” per se. It’s just rich, mature, and fulfilling. I believe that, while the patchouli and sandalwood are responsible for the depth and shadowy feeling that dominate, the middle notes of rose and amber combine to round out, balance, and refine the patchouli / sandalwood accord to a beautiful degree. This fragrance drips with sophistication. The dry down is a spicy / ambery / sandalwood treat, quite classic and very well made. It surprises me that it is now offered through MPG – or is it still Les Parfumes Historiques? – because it seems more classic and traditional that the usual run of MPG fragrances. I don’t see much of a relationship to Opium, but I can agree with the comparison to Bal a Versailles. It is labeled as a feminine fragrance, but, just like its George Sand persona, it can go both way. Personally I’m a sucker for well-made, classically styled Orientals, and that’s exactly what George Sand EDP is: excellent and well-made and beautiful.

Signature / Kisu by Tann Rokka

There’s a rather mysterious and exotic twist to the opening rosewood and aromatic accord – the combination of rosewood and aromatics is captivating. I’m not sure what causes the aromatics – other reviewers seem to think it is cedar, but it seems to me to be more aromatic than cedar usually delivers. It’s not woody enough for eucalyptus or aoud, so I think it is herbal – it is something like a strongly aromatic basil and thyme combined… or maybe the effect is caused by the rosewood itself. Rosewood is tricky. Whatever… I love the accord: it’s exotic and it’s highly wearable. This opening is somewhat sharp and it continues for a healthy period of time. When it finally morphs into its next and last stages, the sharpness is reduced by the florals, but the reduction isn’t enough to become mellow or soft on the skin.. The florals are significantly gobbled up by my skin and never have a chance – all they do is smooth out the sharpness of the rosewood / aromatics: The fragrance does get a little feminine at this point, but nothing that I can’t handle, especially because the middle doesn’t last long. The final stage is somewhat marine: I don’t get as strong of marine accord as others do. I get a weak salty ambiance in a neutrally textured accord – it’s an accord I enjoy it very much and it lasts beautifully. Complex and Zen at one and the same time – I love this scent.

Private Collection - Cedre Sandaraque by Parfumerie Generale

Captivating aromatic and resinous opening – admittedly, “aromatic and resinous” doesn’t sound like a gourmand, but it is gourmand in this case. Cedre Sandaraque has all the necessary elements to qualify it as a gourmand, but it is different from the normal run of gourmands: It’s not strong, nor is it thin. It’s a rich, quietly brooding, softly medicinal sweetness centered around the pralined amber. This amber accord is refined and balanced and steeped in shadowy resinousness and smoky sweetness. The cedar warms the background, and I suppose that the cereal gives that bit of neutral richness that I can’t ascribe to anything else. I don’t get any vetiver.

There are a lot of gourmands that I consider thumbs up fragrances, but I don’t really enjoy wearing most of them (Casual Friday is the only one I wear regularly) – they are just too sweet and youthful. This is one I really enjoy wearing because its resinousness and its smoky depth provide a broader dimension to its sweet gourmandness.

JaimeB's avatar

Devin by Aramis

Thirty years later, this is still around, and still pleasing, at least to some people. I have been on a green kick for a few days, so this one came to hand today. I think the green top is the most captivating part, but the floral-spicy heart and the woody oriental base with a touch of leather make this a winner all around. Leather chypre; bergamot in the top, moss and patchouli in the base: the classic formula.

Elegant, but approachable; comfortable; relaxed yet confident. This is the late seventies guy feeling his freedom and totally cool with it. Is today's world so different? Maybe this is one sense in which we could call this a "heritage scent."

Jon_Remy's avatar

Chevignon by Chevignon

Yes, smells just like the discontinued Polo Crest, same color liquid even. I believe this lasts longer than Polo Crest, so it's a very good deal.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Signature / Kisu by Tann Rokka

Kisu is now called AKI by Tann Rokka. To me, it is one of the finest scents I've ever worn. It's become a favorite of mine, instantly. Others have described it well...it just takes "warm and wonderful" to the highest of levels. It IS very expensive...but a little goes a long way and it has wonderful staying power. For a parfum lover...this is a must try...and for me a must have.

lannansidhe's avatar

Dioressence by Christian Dior

I agree that it packs less of a whallop than Miss Dior, which is good for me. I can wear this to work, whereas Miss Dior has people coming from upstairs (I work on the first floor by myself) asking, "What are you wearing today?" Not complaining, but that makes me feel like it is a bit much.
    It is still the oakmoss chypre of Miss Dior, only far more subtle. All Dior's last forever on me, something in the composition of Dior's goes with my skin chemistry. I get no rose from this at all.
    I have only a decant, but plan to have a big bottle soon. This will become a second stringer in my stable. I so wish I could locate some of the vintage juice.