Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

fusion's avatar
    fusion

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Fuel For Life is a little better than average but I think its a love or hate fragrance no in between, I will give it a thumbs up because the longevity is good and gets me a lot of compliments.

taliaseki's avatar
    taliaseki

Romance by Ralph Lauren

Many times in the perfumery i have just handled the bottle and finding the smell ordinary, left it without trying.Then when i have been planning to get pregnant, i have checked cosmeticsdatabase for perfumes and this is one of the reasonable in between the healthy ones. So i have purchased it online without trying. The result; i like it very much. I used to like florals even more when i was younger and ten years ago, this would be a jewel to me. Though my taste draw away from floras in the past years it is still very nice to me. The most spotting note is the rose. I am not fond of roses but suprisingly that is not annoying to me. (O.k i have to be clearer; i live in turkey and we have a wacky relationship with roses. Rose water is everywhere. It is used to tonic face and babies and treat to guests, added to some food mainly deserts like turkish delight and some othman halvah and jams made from rose petals and of course some drinks containing rose aroma; and guess which is most popular gardening plant and most popular air freshener scent around here... so is it clear that i am in the boundary of hating rose smell). i can enjoy that rosy fragrance. I guess this is because of the nice blend and the unique quality of the rose used. Definitely best rosy fragrance i have met...

Hobbes's avatar
    Hobbes

Pi by Givenchy

So I USED to really like this scent when I was new to fragrances. Over time, I fell out of love with the intense sweetness of this scent... linear, synthetic sweetness is all I get now.

There are better vanillas out there. The bottle is still very unique though.

10th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2009)

Hobbes's avatar
    Hobbes

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

TdH is an extremely intoxicating scent...

It's one of the only fragrances I've worn that has gotten a noticeable reaction from the ladies. Lots of deep sniffs (woooooooooooosh) and second looks.

Highly recommended!

sweetcrazylaura's avatar
    sweetcrazylaura

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I really wanted to like this. But to me it smells of rich old ladies! I guess my nose prefers more modern scents, and this one smells cheap to me. I have to assume it is the fault of my nose, since everyone else seems to love it. Or maybe it's the case of the emperor and his new clothes?

sweetcrazylaura's avatar
    sweetcrazylaura

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I just adore this. It is so different, and when worn by a friend for years, I always wanted to lick her neck! So I finally bought some for myself and it is such a treat.

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

I dig grapefruits. I always keep some in the fridge, and sometimes I rub the peels on my hands because they smell so good. And that's exactly what AA Pampleune is like, in the top notes. Forget all those shallow, two-dimensional grapefruit wannabes. This is the way to go.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Unique, unmistakable (a friend of mine wears this sometimes and you can just tell from the other side of the room), cloying and heavy. Feels like someone just doused a plum pudding with even more syrup, thinking it wasn't sweet enough, and decided to shove it under my nose. Just smelling it gives me a toothache. It's something I wouldn't mind having a spoonful with some ice cream for dessert, but do I want to smell like this all day? I think not.

Jardin du Nil by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

How should I describe this one? A florist's compost?

Could have been a beautiful floral & fruits composition, but the stinky note that other reviewers have mentioned is on me unmistakably present and seems to dominate. Over time, that note fades to a manageable level where it resembles overripe bananas, and at that point I can begin to appreciate the scent without my stomach churning. However, the opening is just too off-putting for me. Apparently some people have less problem with the old sock thing, so give it a go in any case. It's an educational experience.

Quercus by Penhaligon's

Pleasant enough, but you know what, I've smelled it somewhere before. That's right folks, cK One. While the synthetic edges of cK One has been polished here and Quercus has a little more depth, I would have difficulty sorting out the two in a blind test. I don't see the point of getting this one when you can buy a bottle of cK One for 1/3 of its price.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

You could really imagine yourself sitting in a cathedral wearing this. The whiff of incense, the ancient wooden pews, the musty smell of old Bibles and tapestries, the cold stone floors. Yup, it's all there. But as beautiful as it is, I could not wear this on a regular basis - too somber.

sandy1951's avatar
    sandy1951

Vintage Soul by Curve by Liz Claiborne

I have a dear niece who is enamoured of Vanilla Fields. Which I loathe and gives me a headache. So....I bought this for her and not only did she like it, so did I. Very nice florals drydown to a very nice lightly musky vanilla. Smells good on her and on me. I liked it well enough to buy some for myself. As with all the Liz Claiborne perfumes, the price is excellent.

Gossamer's avatar
    Gossamer

Heiress by Paris Hilton

Very sweet, definitely a perfume for younger women. I couldn't picture myself wearing it ten years from now, but for a teenage girl, it's perfect. Very floral, but with some fruity notes as well that keep it from being too cliche. It's very light, and inoffensive enough to wear to school. My one complaint is that it doesn't last long enough. After an hour or so on my skin, it's basically gone. It smells delicious, but I won't be buying another bottle when this one wears out (which it did very quickly, since you have to reapply so often.)

Cody's avatar
    Cody

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Just plain WOW. This stuff is fantastic. I love it.

10th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 May, 2008)

bamacharm's avatar
    bamacharm

The Dreamer by Versace

My review is for the "average Joe or Jane" like me, who is not trained to distinguish between the various notes. I almost skipped buying this because of what turned out to be a very exagerated review that this fragrance smells like pipe tobacco ashes. What a mistake that would have been. The Dreamer is simply awesome. The base notes I picked up, if anything, are tobacco flower and amber. There is nothing in this that smells like tobacco smoke or ashes. If there is, it is so faint as to be virtually indetectable by us average Joes and Janes. Nothing in the top notes caused me any problem either and there are couple of fragrances that do. The Dreamer is a very masculine, refined scent that smells like nothing I've ever used. It is how I imagine a well groomed man of some affluence should smell. I think it is suited for a romantic evening or anytime you'd like to make a great impression.

I started my fragrance collection just 3 short months ago and already have 30 plus of the very highest rates ones here on base notes. You should consider the Dreamer. In my opinion, it is outstanding and one of the best fragrances a man can own.

sedonaperfumery's avatar
    sedonaperfumery

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

A must have in a men's wardrobe. Currently discontinued, but still available on amazon stores. Spicy, herbal scent. Imagine wearing Calvin Klein Escape for men in the morning, then mixing some Escada Sunset Heat, and through the evening bring some of this Giorgio scent, an escalated approach to unique power of attraction. What I mean is that Giorgio Men is the climax point in your choice of cologne wear during the day. Also, its after shave may be a good option to start the day, and then ease up with choices like Diesel Green Masculine, and at the end finish up with Angel Men.

sedonaperfumery's avatar
    sedonaperfumery

VIP for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I agree with the strength and attraction of the opening notes. It is like women's pure perfume. A powerful one beyond Dior Jules.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Rose-centered perfumes are usually not my cup of tea. While I appreciate the smell of a rose while it's still on the bush, I don't find the smell seductive and I have no desire to smell like one. If you asked me before I sampled Sa Majeste la Rose I would have said that you had to put a gun to my head to get me to try on any scent with "Rose" in its name. However, when it comes to any scent by Serge Lutens I always keep an open mind. My thoughts on this one: A heck of a lot of rose in the beginning, but several minutes later the honey and clove emerge, bringing a creamy spicyness that balances the bitterness of the rose and I found myself smelling my wrist over and over again as the evening wore on. This isn't your grandmother's rose perfume. This is odd to the point of being both baffling and beguiling. I wouldn't say that this one is bottle worthy for me, but if someone passed me on the street wearing this, I would stop them and ask them what they're wearing.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

If Muscs Koublai Khan is your holy grail of musks, but either you can't afford that bell jar, or you still saving up for it, Kiehl's Original musk is great to have around in the meantime. Kiehl's isn't as full and complex as MKK, but it's beautiful none the less and comes closer to MKK then any other musk that I've experienced. Sometimes I spritz Kiehl's on one wrist and dab MKK on the other. It's nice to be able to sniff at them both all day.

dreams&drafts's avatar
    dreams&drafts

Ecume de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

I’d be hard-pressed to think of a fragrance combination more likely to appeal to me than wild beach roses and salt spray, and this has all the atmosphere and wistfulness I could want. The opening is fresh and leafy, then it quiets for a while, but when I think it’s another short-lived waste of time, all the notes open and the vista is exposed, and there are the roses born on their tangled old wood, and a sea wind carrying salt and minerals inland. The oceanic effect is coolly created from vetiver and musk in the base, and it - thankfully - doesn’t turn sweet in the drydown. It’s never very loud on me, although I’ve gotten compliments on it long after I’d thought it had gone.

madhat's avatar
    madhat
    Netherlands Netherlands

Rush by Gucci

I'm impressed by the longevity. It was the first in a long series of new (well - 'new' for me that is) scents that my husband liked on me. I've bought a bottle 2 days ago on holiday and am very happy with it. My first association was mandarine - although officially there doesn't seem to be any mandarine in it. But what especially stuns me is the longevity, because I still smell a spray from this morning (its early evening now) whilst I mostly loose scents after a few hours. Good one! Very appropriate for summer and women who like to wear not too light-flowery even in summer.
    I also like the sleek little bottle - and I even accidentally dropped it because it slipped from its little sleeve - it didn't break. I'm HAPPY :).

emad's avatar
    emad
    Iran Iran

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

my first edt ever was Drakkar Noir and the second was Nino Cerruti. i used to wear Nino Cerruti when i was in my 12th grade. there were plenty of i can't say beautiful cause its way too low for them i can say Divas and i mean goddesses of beautiful girl in our class and school and i used to be the No 1 Guy in school Sports and in school and class activities and had a GPA of 3.94 so alot of girls were attracted to me. my Girl friend was on the top of all other girls at school. i always thought i mean even other guys at school also did though that my being No1 guy at school was the cause of all that attraction. once my girl friend asked me to change my cologne . i asked her why do you hate its smell , she told me NO BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT ALL THE GIRLS AT SCHOOL LOVE YOUR FRAGRANCE AND FAINT WHEN YOU PASS BY THEM . THEREFORE I CAN'T STAND IT EITHER YOU CHANGE YOUR FRAGRANCE OR YOU CHANGE YOUR GIRL FRIEND.
    well i was forced to change my EDT so i gave it to a friend i still feel more sorry for loosing my Nino Cerruti than loosing my Girl Friend cause i was able to find other girlfriends later and even get married but i was not able to find another Nino Cerruti again!!!!!!

foetidus

BOD Man: Fresh Blue Musk by Parfums de Coeur

It’s fresh, it’s blue, and it’s musky. Except for its strident synthetics, it does smell something like Grandma’s purse, bless her soul. I don’t remember buying it, but there it is on that out of the way shelf in the hall closet. It doesn't hold my interest for very long, and I realize there are a lot of elements in Fresh Blue Musk that I should dislike; nevertheless, I do rather like it...if I’m not exposed to it for long periods of time. There’s no accounting for taste, I guess.

foetidus

L'Eau de Circé 05 by Parfumerie Generale

L’eau de Circé is a quite nice fruity / floral. White peach dominates the opening with a touch of citrus – not too fruity sweet, which is important to me; and it certainly does not smell like so many of the other fruity / florals. The florals of the middle, too, are kept from becoming overbearing or cloying or ordinary. They present a smooth, even, long-lasting floral richness to the still-contained / controlled fruit notes. I get an excellent wood / patchouli dry down with a bit of honey for its only sweetness. Lasts beautifully and is legitimately unisex as far as I'm concerned: This is a quality fragrance. I’m not quite sure about the Circé reference, though. Perhaps L’eau de Circé turns men into pigs just as Circé did, but my ex would say that you don’t need a fragrance or magic for that to happen...

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Début by Delrae

This is a fairly green floral perfume. It starts with a citrus top note sweetened with ylang-ylang and moderated slightly by green leaves. The heart blooms with muguet and cyclamen, softened by the slightly acerbic note of linden flowers. The base is a woody-musky blend, which supports the whole as effortlessly as if it floated on air above.

This is an airy, springlike scent. The blend of the notes almost inexplicably produces an unmistakably green aura which one wouldn't expect from the fragrance pyramid. The linden note is definitely central to this, its slightly bitter, sharp overtone altering what would otherwise be a rather run-of-the-mill sweet floral accord into something far more intriguing and satisfying. This is marketed as a shared scent, and I believe it can be, though I expect it will appeal mostly to women. Air signs (like this Libran here), the tender-hearted, and the idealistc among the male crowd, however, may find this pleasing, I suspect.

Joshaugustt's avatar
    Joshaugustt

Kremlin by Parfums Kremlin

I Have just recently tried Kremlin and I'm loving it! It is a Spicy Oriental. It is warm, fresh, spicy, and long lasting. It's very hard to find in US but it's well worth trying if you can locate it. This is a good one! Below are the notes in Kremlin

Aldehyde, Basil oil, Bergamot oil, Galbanum, Green Note, Lemon, Mandarin, Peach,

Carnation, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Rose,

Amber, Cedar, Civet, Labdanum, Patchouli, Sandal, Tonka, Vanilla,

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Wonderfully smoky, enveloping fragrance. Like Chene, but sweeter.

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Sharp and green and smoky. An unforgettable fragrance for a man or a woman. Mysterious, in that your neighbor will definitely not own a similar scent, and people will want to figure out what you're wearing.

I couldn't decide between Fumerie Turque and Chene for a few months, because they're both nice. Fumerie Turque is a safer choice for women, but Chene is a bit more interesting.

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I really want to like this fragrance, but there's something so sneezy about it. And whenever I wear it, I get a headache within 3 minutes, without fail.

Renato's avatar
    Renato

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Last week I tested the endurance of Neroli Sauvage, Royal Water, Royal Delight and Millesime Imperial on my arms simultaneously. Royal Water lasted about 7 hours, and Royal Delight and Millesime Imperial lasted a few hours longer. However, Neroli Sauvage was pretty near undetectable on my skin after just one hour. I've cited the other three to show that I don't have some kind of weird scent destroying skin chemistry. By way of comparison, I get five hours out of Eau de Rochas Homme, but I only get two hours from Dior's Eau Sauvage - though others claim they get a full day's wear out of it - so I suppose it is possible that some people would get longer longevity out of Neroli Sauvage than what I did.

But at the end of the day, Neroli Sauvage outlasts only one other scent I've ever come across - the ubiquitous 4711. No matter how nice it may smell, its ultra poor longevity on me, disqualifies it as being a scent for me - I'd rate it poorly as an air freshener.

Buying this scent blind on the basis of the reviews here is certainly Not Recommended.
    Unless you are happy with buying very short lasting scents that cost a lot of money, you really have to test this one properly before buying.
    Renato

11th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 May, 2008)